Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 The PV Vending Machine
 |  Printable Version
TeddybearofDeath
 Friday, November 25 2011 @ 04:47 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I'm not even gonna try to quote every one, since I'm still getting the hang of this forum, lol.

@Hairy Mary and Awesome Fred, I'm sorry if I came off short tempered, that was never on purpose. Nor was derailing this entire thread with my mention of possibly increasing visitation to distant outposts earlier. I seriously didn't expect all this to happen, I was just putting another idea in the 'pro' side of this idea of a vending machine.

Fred, you're right. If you don't know the way I talk, my words sound mean. I wasn't directing my exasperation at you though when I mentioned not everyone cares about places or has so much time to devote to the game. Also, when I mentioned paying real money for cookies/brews I'm just saying, that's one option some people take and pointing it out. By my posts, I simply meant, in my opinion, if we wanted to increase population in less visited outposts - and not JUST CC404, though I see Docenspiel's point about the machine working with the audience already in CC404 for places and adding to that - I feel some kind of incentive that is not solely based on places would be good. As I said, I don't yet know what.

The only thing besides places items that comes to mind is eBoy items, and those have limited value and 'freebie' effect as you mentioned, which becomes routine. I still think it would draw people out there who might start conversation just by adding CC404 to their routine, but if it could be BETTER than that, I'm all for it, of course. Or even some combination of both of those things might be awesome.. Or like, those nifty machines that let you pick between soda OR chips? It could be that how much you pay, or based on some weird pick of options, you could pick a C&C OR an eBoy trinket, OR a stamina event, OR even something bad, etc. But that might be too effed up to code, I'm just throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks.

I like Wesker's thought of it maybe being a random event too, just to have it ingame, like the improbable water and pinatas and such, but that doesn't really help our population redirection conversation.

I also like Wongo's points about not being able to bank, which is a huge blow to me when I'm defending an outpost and get two-hit-killed unexpectedly and lose everything, and no cig advantages either. And when you're fighting in the Jungle at a breeched outpost, you HAVE to return to town to leave again, and get caught in the breech with low stam. Haha, honestly about the cigs, veterans already have tons of cigs, as well as their routines, so it wouldn't be harming them to increase payouts I don't think..

"It's hard to get pumped about this, without someone nice n' fuzzy around."

Profile Email
Maniak
 Friday, November 25 2011 @ 12:01 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Say you introduce this Machine of Vending and it turns out to be The One Thing you've always desired. It has to be powerful, because hey, it's cozy in the snug-pile. You need something like a Gargleblaster that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and doesn't have any of the ill-effects like the nasty hangover, the waking up next to a midget with braided.. err, going off topic. What's the end result of The Awesomely Powerful Machine of Vending? People will abandon the other outposts to take up residence where the Great Machine of Vending might be.

Yeah. No. You don't want that. Moving people only moves the problem.

That's not to say I'm not in favour of the idea though.

More content in the game will draw more people to the game, and will make them play longer. More players means outpost won't be quite so empty.

Otherwise, a Machine of Vending that moves around once a day. Something that's scared of people, or madly in love with monsters.

A sentient machine that spawns monsters you say? Where have we heard that one before?

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Saturday, November 26 2011 @ 10:20 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Maniak

What's the end result of The Awesomely Powerful Machine of Vending? People will abandon the other outposts to take up residence where the Great Machine of Vending might be.

Not if there's no reliability of access, or if the prize/function is not something that's helpful 100% of the time.

But frankly, if you DID have something that was superpowerful that EVERYONE wanted to flock to, it'd be interesting to see it move around weekly. Real-life week. Every week, a nontrivial amount of people would re-station themselves at a different outpost, following the buffalo herd. There'd still be loads of people (because EVERYONE doesn't actually mean everyone) who stayed in place, thinking that the bonus from the Vending Machine wasn't worth travelling to, since you'd have to travel there, or the town you're in really needs wall buildup, or you're working on a Place, or you're just starting out on a new DK, or the req payout won't be worth it due to the sheer overpopulation due to that bonus.

Whatever it is, if you did make it incredibly powerful and a no-holds-barred game-changer, while it would further separate the balance between the Powerplayers and the Non-Powerplayers, it would also actually theoretically be effective in moving around a sufficient population, making them explore the world and letting all the content get their fair day.

(The key word is "theoretically". We had theories about exclusive features, requisition payout, etc. that didn't work. We thought Titans would bring the sense of community effort, but it instead spawned a higher class of powerplayer. We always need to implement before we make the final say, frankly.)

By the way, just throwing this out there as this topic has been incredibly derailed, what if the map square that the city was placed on was randomized a little, if it changed per month? And if map squares' terrain types be randomly changed slightly every month? Instead of Kittania being on (20,13), in December it would be on (21,11), and { (18,13) (19,12) (19,13) } are all Forest squares that would turn Grassland? Obviously, Places-enabled terrain could never turn into Places-disabled squares (river, ocean, swamp) and vice versa. A living world is surprisingly one of the most requested ideas in games all across the spectrum. ("I wish things would change and make it feel more real, yanno?")

Profile Email
Sonny
 Saturday, November 26 2011 @ 11:37 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Awesome+Fred[

By the way, just throwing this out there as this topic has been incredibly derailed, what if the map square that the city was placed on was randomized a little, if it changed per month? And if map squares' terrain types be randomly changed slightly every month? Instead of Kittania being on (20,13), in December it would be on (21,11), and { (18,13) (19,12) (19,13) } are all Forest squares that would turn Grassland? Obviously, Places-enabled terrain could never turn into Places-disabled squares (river, ocean, swamp) and vice versa. A living world is surprisingly one of the most requested ideas in games all across the spectrum. ("I wish things would change and make it feel more real, yanno?")[/p]

It's a new day!

You open your eyes to discover that Kittania has improbably relocated itself three klicks to the north-east and left you sleeping here all alone! You gain 1 point in feeling abandoned.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.41 seconds
New Topic Post Reply