Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 To Gender, or not to Gender?
 |  Printable Version
Harris
 Monday, December 12 2011 @ 09:05 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Aha! Danke!

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Buddleia
 Thursday, December 15 2011 @ 02:38 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've been reading this with interest, and finally have something (that I hope may possibly be useful) to contribute.

On a discussion post on G+, I found wiki on the grammar of gendering which might be useful for the writing/coding. Excerpt:

Bucket has trouble grammaring properly when he doesn't know the gender of people he's talking to. Here are some ideas to fix this.

Now, maybe his current inability to use gendered pronouns is a good thing and we should continue to transform English to be more gender-neutral. But in the meantime, maybe it wouldn't hurt to have people be able to tell him their gender.

Gender in society is an incredibly complicated issue. For the purposes of this, we are not teaching Bucket about peoples' actual genders, but merely by which pronoun they wish to be referred to.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Cousjava
 Tuesday, December 27 2011 @ 07:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

First of all, Happy Christmas everyone! Its been several months since I've played on Improbable Island, since I've been busy at work and had a number of computer problems (I've been through four computers this year, as well as 2 busted motherboards, 5 hard drives, a dozen OSís and now my router is behaving erratically) so I've now got the chance to make my contribution. And here it is I've written and tested it, and its available at https://github.com/Cousjava/Improbable-Island/tree/gender. It now add some more pronouns you can add, which can be set by the user in preferences. This involved some changes to output.php and a new module at gender.php.The new codes are:

• `N for the name of the gender i.e. male, female. The default is person.
  • `s for the subjective i.e. he or she. The default is they.
  • `o for the objective i.e. him or her. The default is them.
  • `r for the reflexive i.e. himself. The default is themself.
  • `d for the possessive pronoun i.e. his or hers. The default is theirs.
  • `D for the possessive determiner i.e. his or her. The default is their.

I have set the defaults to neutral words that need to be changed by the player as I'm not sure how to change userprefs for different users when installing. I may make some changes and push a version later that sets it up correctly for new users and people who've been through Dr. Paprikas.

Oh and CMJ, could you please bring back the labs test server and also update git so I can actually be running a reasonable approximation of the island on my testing server, currently I'm running a combination of LotGD and Beeks' master branch, with errors cropping up everywhere where things don't match or appear multiple times.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, December 27 2011 @ 08:02 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I appreciate the fact that someone is putting their code where their mouth is, so to speak, and Merry Christmas to you too. Smile

Outside of one or two files written from the Olden Days, we don't query for module installations in the core. We certainly can't query for a module installation (and load module prefs) in every output() statement. That would easily double our server load. Modules aren't appropriate for this sort of work.

I like where you're going with the appoencode-style gender options - that's something that we should have had a long time ago. In the next iteration of Improbable Island, we'll be moving to two-character appoencodes, for two reasons: first, more colours and shades, and even typefaces. Second, it'll be a damn sight easier to keep track of this sort of thing (we can use `gn, `gs, `go, `gr, `gd and `gD for the lowercase versions of what you propose, and `Gn, `Gs, `Go, `Gr, `Gd and `GD for first-letter-capitalized versions).

My Git-related shite is thoroughly messed-up, and fixing it is On My List.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.40 seconds
New Topic Post Reply