Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Furniture Ideas
 |  Printable Version
Manist
 Friday, April 13 2012 @ 01:22 AM UTC (Read 5066 times)  
Forum Newbie

Here a few things that could be added to furniture for places:
A buff dispenser/Vending machine
Bookcases
Dressers/Closets (When wearing non-armour related items or to hold more articles of clothing.)
Class related objects:
A mini scronky pot (Midgit: Have to hack it somewhere, right?)
Brick style oven (Kittymorph: For that delicious smokey taste.)
Tub full of oil (Robot: To get those rusty gears in motion.)
Motivational calendar/poster (Mutant: A little pick-me-up.)
Brain scented candles (Zombie: For that just-picked-from-the-head smell.)
Minibar (Human: Your favorite brew reminds you of the good ol' days.)
Automatic Ironing board (Joker: A freshly pressed suit really brighten the day.)

If you have any feedback it would be nice.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Friday, April 13 2012 @ 04:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

What are these? Why are these? If you want a bookcase, just write one into your description.

Would they give buffs? That might be something. But it would become just a boring thing you clicked on in a place.

Profile Email Website
Lunatick
 Friday, April 13 2012 @ 06:43 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

These all sound like things you could do with a little Programing, Ingenutiy, and Pages.

I love spambots: I'm in mania to here Tickled pink as thwack to obligation on a glimpse of you all

Profile Email
Manist
 Friday, April 13 2012 @ 12:17 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I'm not sure about the bookcase idea but the buff dispensers would work right? And special items for classes would probably have buffs.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Friday, April 13 2012 @ 05:24 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The buff dispenser would be something. But I'm not entirely sure I'd be worthwhile. what would they bring to the game? Just a straight-up buff? That probably wouldn't be worthwhile, seeing as how every Outpost would have a Place which had a dispenser on it's square (Except SH). It'd be like if CMJ spent time programming a device which made the game easier, in return for a few clicks.

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Friday, April 13 2012 @ 05:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

If there were such things as buff givers, then folks would start going round visiting all the Places that had one and would start being able to rack up ridiculous amounts of buffs. I'm not sure that that would be a good thing.

Profile Email
Ada
 Friday, April 13 2012 @ 11:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

If there were such things as buff givers, then folks would start going round visiting all the Places that had one and would start being able to rack up ridiculous amounts of buffs. I'm not sure that that would be a good thing.

Yeah, please don't let me do this, because I will.

Profile Email
Nekops
 Sunday, April 15 2012 @ 09:31 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Ada

I think this would be balanced out by the fact that you'd have to spend a bunch of stamina to collect all these buffs which, if they expired at New Day, would be a bit pointless.

As for the class-related stuff... it's fun, but expensive if you want to serve everybody. That's seven buff dispensers (which would cost at least 20ish ciggies a piece), seven slots to build into your building...

I suppose they could function as more personal items, sorta like the Double Beds that I've rarely seen in the open; that way you'd only need one. Still seems like a standard buff dispenser would be better, with an option to alter it and add flavor.

Profile Email
Collin-Vee
 Sunday, April 15 2012 @ 12:19 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Nekops

I think this would be balanced out by the fact that you'd have to spend a bunch of stamina to collect all these buffs which, if they expired at New Day, would be a bit pointless.

As for the class-related stuff... it's fun, but expensive if you want to serve everybody. That's seven buff dispensers (which would cost at least 20ish ciggies a piece), seven slots to build into your building...

I suppose they could function as more personal items, sorta like the Double Beds that I've rarely seen in the open; that way you'd only need one. Still seems like a standard buff dispenser would be better, with an option to alter it and add flavor.

Personally, I feel that if there was only one buff you could get, a small one at that, that could be attached to programs, it would be worth it as a part of Places. I can completely see people making their own little games with buffs, while others just have a simple click-reward thing going on. The main thing is that it couldn't be game-breakingly strong, and hardly worth the effort of getting unless you were actually there already.

Profile Email
jenkins
 Monday, April 16 2012 @ 12:45 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

If there were such things as buff givers, then folks...would start being able to rack up ridiculous amounts of buffs. I'm not sure that that would be a good thing.

Wait. We haven't been doing that with booze?
Have I been doing this Titan Hunting thing all wrong!?

I agree with Collin, it could be a little buff, nothing that'll make everybody cringe when people with 2 DKs start laughing at how easy this "Bastard Rank" thing is, but a little nudge when you're THIS CLOSE to being able to take down Horatio, but if it does come about, I'd really like for there to be some flavor text.
I like flavor text.

Profile Email
Manist
 Monday, April 16 2012 @ 12:59 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

How about a something that despenses costume buffs? So when you walk into a place and do a certin thing in a room it will give you a buff set by the owner of the place. The buffs would probably have a small change. It could also be used as a way to keep people out. Say someone head into a room that they are not allowed in. For example Your heading down a hall and you see two doors one of them says WARNING: KEEP OUT! Of course people will go in anyway so maybe they get a sudden shock and lose some strength, unless they are a robot, from which they might gain a bonus. It would make it more more realistic for people building adventure maps. So instead of just saying you tripped and sprained your ankle you can actually make it happen.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Monday, April 16 2012 @ 01:15 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: jenkins

If there were such things as buff givers, then folks...would start being able to rack up ridiculous amounts of buffs. I'm not sure that that would be a good thing.

Wait. We haven't been doing that with booze?
Have I been doing this Titan Hunting thing all wrong!?

I agree with Collin, it could be a little buff, nothing that'll make everybody cringe when people with 2 DKs start laughing at how easy this "Bastard Rank" thing is, but a little nudge when you're THIS CLOSE to being able to take down Horatio, but if it does come about, I'd really like for there to be some flavor text.
I like flavor text.

Well you play however's best for you. Bare in mind that within a week there will probably be six or seven or more Places within one square of Kitt giving out buffs. Within a fortnight the same for every outpost (apart from SH).

When you first come across them exploring it will be new and interesting. Once you've found them and know about them and got used to them (another week say) then you'll just know them as "If I go here and click these links in this sequence, then I get this buff." You won't bother reading the flavour text any more than you do now with the pinata or the kissing booth, or indeed the various drinks.

For a lot of people it will just be extra grind for that slight advantage, and they won't be able to turn it down if it's there.

Profile Email
Manist
 Monday, April 16 2012 @ 02:12 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

What about if it were used in programming. It could be set so depending on race, weather, gender, or at random it will give you good or bad buffs.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Monday, April 16 2012 @ 07:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Extra game content is wonderful and these items sure sound interesting as custom furniture or as pages in a place. I'd read them even without any buff.

With programming you can give people a positive outcome with just words without giving them a +5% to their offence or stamina. I would feel a lot more satisfied if you can describe how my character feels from sleeping in your bed.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Tuesday, April 17 2012 @ 09:17 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Place-Dispensed Buffs is a reasonable feature. To the cries of Unfun Buff Gathering, I offer you this solution: mutual exclusion. You can get one 20-turn Homebrew buff per day. Homebrew is the catch-all name for all of the buffs that you can get from furniture buff dispensers. The strength of these buffs can be all based upon the strength of the Clan Buffs we all get--maybe half-strength versions of the Attack buff, Defense, HP Regen, Damage Reflect, etc.

If you think that everybody will simply just add journeying to one particular place for the HP Regen buff every single day that they play, I have another solution for you: diminishing returns. The first day you get HP Regen Homebrew, you get 20 turns. The next consecutive day, you only get 18 turns of HP Regen Homebrew. The next consecutive day, you get 15 turns of HP Regen Homebrew. WARNING, I MIGHT GET CONFUSING HERE: The next day, 11, then 5, and then just 1. The effect of this will encourage players to pick HP Regen on the first day, and maybe on the second day, but the third day they should switch to Damage Reflect Homebrew or something else.

If you don't pick the same Homebrew you did the day before, then that diminishing return penalty should be healed by 1 turn. So if you do Attack Homebrew 4 days in a row, which gave you 11 on the last day, and then you did Defense Homebrew on the fifth day, and again you do Attack Homebrew, it'll give you 13 turns.

I'M PRETTY SURE I WON'T BE CONFUSING NOW: The actual numbers can be changed. The reason I didn't do a simple linear model is because I don't want players to simply alternate between their two favorite Homebrew buffs either, getting a full 20 each and every day. We want people to move around for other buff types and even skip drinking some days.

Lastly, I think the concept of having Buff-Dispensing Furniture doesn't have to lead to another part of the daily grind if it is a time-limited investment. A player can purchase a Homebrew Machine of their desired buff type for 30 cigs (7 days of a teleporter is 28) and place it in a Furniture slot. It stays inactive until the start of the next Game Day, and then will be usable by any visitors for a full 7 real-world days. After that, it breaks apart, the Furniture slot is freed up, and the owner will have to purchase another one if desired.

Profile Email
Ada
 Tuesday, April 17 2012 @ 07:50 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That seems a needlessly complicated solution to a problem that does not need to exist in the first place.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Wednesday, April 18 2012 @ 03:18 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That seems a needlessly complicated solution to a problem that does not need to exist in the first place.

Solution? Problem?

This is just about bringing more tangible (ie: there are in-game effects) uses of the Furniture slots. For a non-RPer player, the only purposes to have a dwelling are to have a place to sleep and to be able to teleport across the map quickly. This particular suggestion of a buff dispenser seemed to add something to them.

Manist had a lot of suggestions. This one in particular I thought had merit, and I addressed the proposed flaws in that suggestion. (Diminishing returns and mutual exclusivity are not complex concepts, even if my explanation was cumbersome.)

Ultimately, though, I do agree that this is far from implementation status. I just don't think it deserves being shot down without trying to reason out its full potential.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Wednesday, April 18 2012 @ 05:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Nekops

... I've rarely seen Double Beds in the open...

You sir, sleep at the wrong outposts. Smile

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Solution? Problem?
This is just about bringing more tangible (ie: there are in-game effects) uses of the Furniture slots.

Indeed. This suggestion isn't a Hey Guys I Think I Know How To Make Things Better, it's a Hey Guys This Could Be A Thing.

So what we have is a Buff Box. Alice puts a handful of cigs or Req or first-born children in, and people get buffed in new and interesting ways. As nice as that is, it won't do any Places any favors where flavor is concerned. It'd be too needy of restocking to be a reliable reward. Also, pragmatism dictates that the best way would be a large group of people all donating cigs to one place with a box (or more boxes) per outpost.

Profile Email Website
Twosocks Monkey
 Wednesday, April 18 2012 @ 11:12 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Manist

Here a few things that could be added to furniture for places:
A buff dispenser/Vending machine

I might be wrong, but didn't we have a huge animated discussion about this very idea (not exactly but similar) about a year or so ago on the forum?

Of course, I can't seem to find it.

Feels like we're just rehashing something that already was discussed and came to an end?

-Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Twosocks Monkey
 Wednesday, April 18 2012 @ 11:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Found it. There's a lot of discussion about adding buffs to mementos here, which is roughly the same idea:

Forum Index > Season Two > Development > Mementos topic

And totally off topic, cause why not, while surfing through that topic to find stuff on buffs I found this:

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Come to think of it... while you're in there looking at the inventory code, it would be very nice if you could add an option to container objects to toggle them open and closed. (That is, open: list their contents, or closed: don't list them, show only the container.) Backpack, bandolier, lodge bag, card case, and now shoebox... we're now up to five container objects, and who knows what else may come along?

Sessine is a genius, can we still get that one day maybe?

PS: Why did you start this thread in Season One Legacy?

PPS: Why am I wearing slippers?

-Rose

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.74 seconds
New Topic Post Reply