Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Newhome
 |  Printable Version
Skidge
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 09:13 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Nekops

The reason people roleplay in New Home, and Kittiana, and pretty much nowhere else is, at least partially, because that's what people do. Getting to the other places takes a lot of Stamina until you've traveled a bit, and if you just never travel much going to a different corner of the map can be daunting. Especially if there's nobody over there to RP with, anyway.

I'm going to go peripherally offtopic here...why not scan the outposts/interact using the CommTent? The Req hit is always titchy-tiny compared to the Travel time and risk, and I know it still works because I just booted up the account I'm currently using in order to check. There's also Jungle squares and eighty billion million Dwellings and all the Inns and bars...really, there's no reason to argue against spreading out a little! CommTents also allow there to be more eyeballs in a given Outpost or reading a given scene. In pointing this out, I am making the logical assumption that the reason the most populated Outposts are the most populated Outposts is because they are populated. Whenever you put out a piece of writing, I am assuming that you are doing it so people can read it...that you, in fact, WANT people to read it.

DISCLAIMER: USE OF THE WORD 'YOU' IS HERE MEANT IN THE EDITORIAL SENSE, IT IS NOT AN ASSUMPTION OR ACCUSATION AGAINST ANY GIVEN INDIVIDUAL.

If you don't want the attention or if you don't particularly care one way or another, there is no logical reason that you would want to write in a populated or overpopulated place. I'm going to use myself as an example here; at current, my writing is being kept exclusively to a Dwelling, because I wanted to write in a particular setting and don't really care if the Island public reads it or not.

The argument here, of course, is "Well I DO want people to read my writing, I want to meet people and I want to make friends and I want to do all those things that you're not interested in and you can't tell me not to!"

This is sensible, and it is a good point, and your inclination towards socialization is commendable. All the more power to you! Do what you want! What ISN'T sensible is the belief that spending all of your time fighting for space and attention in an already chatter-heavy and way-too-busy Kittania or NewHome will somehow bring you the attention/friendships/whathaveyou that you desire. The truth is, you will say something and it might be the friendliest, best-written, funniest line you've ever thought up, and absolutely nobody will see it. And in ten seconds it'll be gone. Furthermore, by doing something plot-heavy or dramatic or romantic or whatever in NewHome, you have not only not achieved what you set out to achieve, but you have instead possibly succeeded only in scaring away new friends. Who will go on to other websites that are more actively, openly newbie-friendly, and the Island misses out on possible new sources of income for CMJ and entertainment for the rest of us.

If use of the CommTents makes it easy to access other, never-written-in outposts such as AceHigh for both readers and writers, doesn't it stand to reason that writing in those outposts will bring MORE eyeballs to what you and your character has to say?

Profile Email
Laser Towel
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 10:12 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Skidge

This is sensible, and it is a good point, and your inclination towards socialization is commendable. All the more power to you! Do what you want! What ISN'T sensible is the belief that spending all of your time fighting for space and attention in an already chatter-heavy and way-too-busy Kittania or NewHome will somehow bring you the attention/friendships/whathaveyou that you desire. The truth is, you will say something and it might be the friendliest, best-written, funniest line you've ever thought up, and absolutely nobody will see it. And in ten seconds it'll be gone. Furthermore, by doing something plot-heavy or dramatic or romantic or whatever in NewHome, you have not only not achieved what you set out to achieve, but you have instead possibly succeeded only in scaring away new friends. Who will go on to other websites that are more actively, openly newbie-friendly, and the Island misses out on possible new sources of income for CMJ and entertainment for the rest of us.

This. Just... this.

Skidge! where is this Dwelling of yours? If it's not actually locked away from prying eyes, I'd like to pop in for a look sometime.

Dent

Profile Email
Skidge
 Friday, June 22 2012 @ 02:05 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It's not mine! I'm dancing about someone else's sandbox. But hey, here's my email (clockworkflyingfish@gmail.com), come find me and I'll ask the guy if it's okay for me to be inviting people into his sandbox, and if you're the kind of kid who doesn't pee in other people's sandboxes maybe you can come see what crazy things we're makin' with our yellow dump trucks.

Hell yes, I just extended that sandbox imagery just as far as it would go!

And while on the subject of Dwellings, for those of you overextended Kittymorphs wanting to find a place to chitterchat, I hear a rumor that one square SouthEast (or SouthWest?) of your hometown, there apparently still exists a never-used Barikade that might have some HALFWAY DECENT DESCRIPTION WRITING IN IT IF I DO SAY SO MYSELF.

Profile Email
Nekops
 Saturday, June 23 2012 @ 08:23 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: SkidgeFurthermore, by doing something plot-heavy or dramatic or romantic or whatever in NewHome, you have not only not achieved what you set out to achieve, but you have instead possibly succeeded only in scaring away new friends. Who will go on to other websites that are more actively, openly newbie-friendly, and the Island misses out on possible new sources of income for CMJ and entertainment for the rest of us.

See, right here is where I break with your train of logic...

Plot-heavy, dramatic, romantic, and/or racy stuff is not going to scare away folks who are comfortable with being dropped out of a plane naked and, once they work hard enough, being able to buy a pair of frilly pink panties for protection. In a text adventure.

The people who are going to stay with us are:

A ) Comfortable with large blocks of text, with few or no graphics to break them up.

B ) Comfortable with the Island's... politically incorrect sense of humor.

C ) Likely comfortable with heavy plots, since they are readers or they will fail at point A.

People who are not like this simply can't be scared away... they clicked on the wrong link, and they will not stick around anyway. That is my contention, at any rate.

Now, it is absolutely not desirable to have all the RPing occurring in any one place... as you mentioned, if there are 20 people trying to RP in the same place at once nobody is going to be able to keep up, much less read what others have written. Getting people to spread out to every Outpost and into the remarkable Places spread across the map is a good thing if it can be managed, and that's definitely the place for things that don't affect anyone else (aka, Clan drama, which should take place mostly in the Clan Hall/Place). Incidentally, finding a way to do this would also help with the Onslaught problems experienced by the Northern Outposts, and that would be a good thing.

However, what I am completely unconvinced of is that New Home should be somehow different than any other place. We need experienced people there, because the newbies have to meet somebody, and we need them to RP a bit so that new people don't look at the game and believe it to be abandoned.

For me, at least, the heavy things in my character's life affect everything she does, at least at thought level... sometimes, when she smiles and replies to your polite question with an uninteresting answer, she's lying and I try to give some hint as to her thought process... for me, there's no such thing as leaving her problems outside New Home... my character is my character, and she's gonna be who she is. If she happened to be a bitch (which she isn't) she would be a bitch... even in New Home. Meanwhile, in Banter, I would be waving to the Newbies and teaching them Timed Combat and telling them what they probably shouldn't try until they have a few DK's under their belt. Because Titans will crush them.

The alternative, as I see it, is this: while in New Home, I would not be truly in character, because new people are there. Oh, and I also wouldn't be in character on the Failboat, because new players Fail a lot... and I'm probably not safe in Improbable Central (where newbies go after they travel and die) or the Common Grounds, either, because new people can get there easily. Oh, and you can become a Kittimorph or a Zombie after just a few DKs, really, and then your base of operations is in those cities and you're still a bit of a newbie, so I should protect people from my real character over there, too... and suddenly the only place I can be myself is in my own Place, behind locked doors, and as far as the newbies are concerned I don't exist at all.

So yes. Absolutely. People should spread out all across the map, and they should keep their mature and extra personal stuff outside of Outposts entirely... nobody needs to know or ought to have to read about your fetishes, for example, unless they're really interested and seek the knowledge out. However, I think it's perfectly okay to refer, anywhere I happen to be, to the fact that my Robot's brain works differently than a human's, possessing more rules and finer manual control of the thoughts and memories, or to the fact that my character is depressed because of something that happened last week... I don't mind if a new player gets an incomplete picture and is confused. Confusion and incomplete knowledge are necessary before someone can be intrigued, for someone to contemplate themselves and form new ideas, they are not things that we should be protecting people from.

There's a point at which, by trying to protect people from the meatier aspects of your community, you actually keep them from finding out anything that might intrigue them... I guess that's what I'm saying.

Profile Email
Genevieve
 Saturday, June 23 2012 @ 09:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A lot of interesting points have been made in this thread, and some things I agree with are this: If people are being dicks, call a mod. If you personally think that someone is doing something inappropriate, and they're not breaking a rule, distract them. Be polite about it, of course, but we're all grown-ups here and I'm sure if someone is doing something that is causing you a great deal of discomfort you could distract them and ask them nicely to please put their cock away you're scaring the rookies.

I am in NewHome a whole lot for several reasons. The chief one being that my Dwelling is really close to it. The other reasons are comedy.

"Comedy?" You ask? Indeed, comedy.

NewHome annoys me too, sometimes. I really do want Rookies to see what a fun and silly and bizarre place we've got here. So sometimes, if I think things are not silly enough, I put Carlynne in story. She just, waltzes on in, sneezing or eating an octopus or scratching her arse or picking her nose or jamming wildly to a song in her head because she's pretty insane and gives less than a shit about just about everything. I try to avoid actively changing the scenes at hand, I don't directly interact with anything others are doing unless they indicate that they're paying some attention to Carlynne. She just goes about her stuff. Perhaps a hopskatch game, as she's so fond of, or maybe attempting to hustle the hard-earned pants off of someone. That's really all we, as players, can do. If you want to create a rookie-friendly environment, do it!

I love watching people set up tea-time or coffee time and why not a poker game? I love poker. I am sure some rookies do, too. Cookie trays and smiles and the occasional bout of raucous laughter because hey you're naked!!

I have found that, more often than not, a mood can change fully in an outpost by just inserting healthy doses of silly.

Profile Email Website
Ada
 Saturday, June 23 2012 @ 09:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Nekops, it's more that those Super Serious Plots or Gratuitous Makeouts aren't join-in friendly. It's hard enough to take the plunge and join in as a rookie even when there are people standing around with signs saying "free cookies for rookies" or whatever. It's pretty impossible when there's two people in it making out or staging the climax of a long, involved plot about revenge. I would indeed be "scared away" by a lot of what I see in NewHome, even though I can check A, B, and C off your list.
(Also, if I were writing that long and involved plot about revenge, I'd want it somewhere where it wouldn't go off the page in an hour! So it works in your favour and rookies' favour to keep that stuff somewhere else.)

Also also, don't worry about changing your character when in NewHome. You are... not the sort of person this thread is mostly about, for one. And there's nothing wrong with having a character who is a jackass playing in NewHome. There is something wrong with someone being a destructive jackass. That is not you. So don't worry/overthink yourself.

(Though, you should avoid NewHome if, say, your character is on a truly murderous rampage, or something like that. There's a difference between not being in character and controlling your character so they don't kill/alienate/maim people. I tend to keep Ada in cookie-giving and not everything-murdering mode when in NewHome. That's not me breaking her character; it's just me picking the right aspect of it for the task at hand, which is greeting rookies and not blinding them.)

Profile Email
Skidge
 Saturday, June 23 2012 @ 10:08 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ouh. You both raise very good points. Nekops, perhaps I should further define "plot-heavy". Because what you're doing? Doesn't sound plot-heavy by my way of thinking. And Genevieve, the things you're doing? Wandering around and being silly and doing things like hopscotch and poker? That used to be my NewHome HOBBY.

I think instead of defining it, I'm going to actually give an example. So I was on the Island forever and ever and ever, and then I left for a year and a half. After that year and a half, I got bored in the middle of the afternoon and said to myself, Self, I said, you know what we should do? Check out the Island. But I didn't want to do so as Skidge, because one of the main reasons I quit was because I was tired of writing her.

So instead I made a new account, and sauntered into NewHome.

So I went into NewHome having some advantages over your average standard rook, in that I know how the Island works and I know the context of things and I have a general idea of how socializing goes down. I am also, when I put my mind to it, a WILDLY social individual. So here's how that went...

Me: *standard introduction involving being pushed naked and traumatized out of door of Basic Training*
Person 1: OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO KILL MYSELF
Person 2: OH MY GOD WHY
Person 3: I AM SO TOTALLY MISERABLE BECAUSE OF THIS AND SUCH A FETISH BEING MISUNDERSTOOD
Person 4: I'm not going to kill myself, nor am I miserable! But there's this superinvolved plot thing that makes no sense whatsoever outside of the context of whatever thing I'm currently doing right now? And I don't feel like explaining it, so instead me and Person 5 are going to talk about it over here.
Person 5: I like to vaguely hint at things!
Person 6: I am here to nod at everything.
Persons 7-45: We're in Banter! Pouncing on one another! Boy, do we love sex. But we're not allowed to talk about it in NewHome because the mods get mad, so instead we're going to giggle a lot and make lots of inside jokes!
Person 1: I'M STILL GOING TO KILL MYSELF EXCEPT NOW I'M ANGRY BECAUSE NOBODY'S RESPONDING TO MY NEED TO KILL MYSELF
Person 2: I SO TOTALLY RESPONDED BUT YOU DIDN'T NOTICE SO I'M GOING TO MAKE A PASSIVE-AGGRESSIVE STATEMENT ABOUT HOW I'M FEELING IGNORED
Person 3: Talks about a wall. A newbie has no idea what "being walled" means, by the way.
Me: Hi!
Everyone: *COMPLETELY IGNORES*
Person 6: *nods*
Me: No, seriously, HI?

At this point, I kid you not, I got a Distraction from someone lecturing me for interrupting.

YOU CANNOT MAKE THESE THINGS UP. I went away saying, "Well, fuck this."

So I don't know if you saw the bit where me, playing a rookie, being perceived as a rookie, got the VERY INCORRECT impression of the Island being a terrible, unfriendly, full-of-drama-llamas sort of place. Had you been there, Nekops, I'm willing to bet you wouldn't have done that; what you have described up above is not plot-heavy! In fact, it sounds like...well...GOOD WRITING.

I will never, ever complain about good character building. I don't care WHERE good character building happens. In fact, DO it in NewHome! Because:

Me: *standard introduction involving being pushed naked and traumatized out of door of Basic Training*
Nekops: *snarls something IC while bouncing and waving and offering help from Banter*
Me: OH MY GOD MY CHARACTER HAS SOMEONE TO PLAY WITH AND A GOOD WRITER IS PAYING ATTENTION TO ME! SQUEE!
Genevieve: HEY LOOK A ROOKIE LET'S PLAY POKER, ROOKIE!

See how that went differently? And now you have engaged me and given me someone to write with, reinforced the concept of Island as Weird And Wacky Place, AND managed to immediately pass on the message of, "Hey, how's it going, we like to write here! You should be all writerly too! Also friendly!"

And that is, essentially, what we want, yeah?

ETA: Oh, and yeah, what Ada said. XD

Profile Email
ShadowGhost
 Saturday, June 23 2012 @ 10:31 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Pretty much how I feel on the treatment of NewHome has been said, by people like Nekops. But I think a cruicial point is being missed. NewHome is special, in that it is the first place Newbs see. It should be treated with a little bit more reservations than anywhere else. Any intensive anger filled plot you have planned should most likely be taken away to different place. But, you can't just pretend that nonsense and very lighthearted fun is all that happens on the island. Granted, it is what happens probably 90% of the time, but that 10% can't quite be swept under the rug. Seriousness has a place in NewHome, just as it does everywhere else. And if we act like it doesn't happen on the island there, then what happens when those Newbs have been around awhile, and decide to branch off? They get greeted by all the serious writing that they had been sheltered from, and will end up cowering in NewHome as a bastion of silliness, not helping at all to spread out across the Island. Basically, my point is, the right thing to do is find a healthy balance of seriousness and silliness and try to maintain that. Will there be people who get a little to serious and go too far? Yes, because this is the internet, and that's just a fact of life on the internet. In those occasions, just do what all the people before me have said. Get a mod, or distract them. We can't separate NewHome from how the rest of the island is, but we can pad it a tad and make sure that Newbs get the real Island experience, just in a diluded form. And if they run off from that, then II wasn't for them, and there's no amount of silliness that can change that.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Saturday, June 23 2012 @ 10:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

This is where I want to insert that Skidge's example above is basically what my first introduction to New Home was like, too, a year and a half ago. Quickly bored of it, I wandered to Kittania instead (because I joined the game looking for hot cat girls, damnit!) and was greeted with something along the lines of the second example. Totally polar opposites. I spent nearly six months playing with fine people in Kitt and never went back to New Home unless I had to. (Though now we all complain Kitt is like New Home! Razz)

Basically, New Home did not feel inclusive at all except in rare cases when I played with people I had met on the Failboat. I even remember there was a pair of players who had made alts specifically for playing out a heavily-involved romantic plot in New Home that was exclusive to them alone. Their reason for playing in New Home? So people could watch. Were they good? Sure. But I did not want to introduce myself in either Banter or Story with this exclusive plot going on and the regulars in Banter chatting about it. I apologize if anyone remembers this and I got the facts wrong, but these were my impressions after watching for ten minutes and getting bored.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Nekops
 Saturday, June 23 2012 @ 11:59 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Skidge

Person 1: OH MY GOD I'M GOING TO KILL MYSELF
Person 2: OH MY GOD WHY
Person 3: I AM SO TOTALLY MISERABLE BECAUSE OF THIS AND SUCH A FETISH BEING MISUNDERSTOOD
Person 4: I'm not going to kill myself, nor am I miserable! But there's this superinvolved plot thing that makes no sense whatsoever outside of the context of whatever thing I'm currently doing right now? And I don't feel like explaining it, so instead me and Person 5 are going to talk about it over here.
Person 5: I like to vaguely hint at things!
Person 6: I am here to nod at everything.
Persons 7-45: We're in Banter! Pouncing on one another! Boy, do we love sex. But we're not allowed to talk about it in NewHome because the mods get mad, so instead we're going to giggle a lot and make lots of inside jokes!
Person 1: I'M STILL GOING TO KILL MYSELF EXCEPT NOW I'M ANGRY BECAUSE NOBODY'S RESPONDING TO MY NEED TO KILL MYSELF
Person 2: I SO TOTALLY RESPONDED BUT YOU DIDN'T NOTICE SO I'M GOING TO MAKE A PASSIVE-AGGRESSIVE STATEMENT ABOUT HOW I'M FEELING IGNORED
Person 3: Talks about a wall. A newbie has no idea what "being walled" means, by the way.
Me: Hi!
Everyone: *COMPLETELY IGNORES*
Person 6: *nods*
Me: No, seriously, HI?

At this point, I kid you not, I got a Distraction from someone lecturing me for interrupting.

YOU CANNOT MAKE THESE THINGS UP. I went away saying, "Well, fuck this."

Ah... so you object to people being utterly exclusive, wrapped up in their own plots, and completely ignoring what other writers do in a public place where you're supposed to, you know, meet people you don't know yet and let them interact with your story? And doing so both in and out of character?

Okay then. Carry on! ^_^

*Had no idea what the verb "to wall" meant in this context, either... not until about two weeks ago, when he asked.*

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, June 24 2012 @ 12:28 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ada

Also also, don't worry about changing your character when in NewHome. You are... not the sort of person this thread is mostly about, for one. And there's nothing wrong with having a character who is a jackass playing in NewHome. There is something wrong with someone being a destructive jackass. That is not you. So don't worry/overthink yourself.

Question: Why is Nekops not the sort of person that this thread is about?

Answer:

If she happened to be a bitch (which she isn't) she would be a bitch... even in New Home. Meanwhile, in Banter, I would be waving to the Newbies and teaching them Timed Combat and telling them what they probably shouldn't try until they have a few DK's under their belt. Because Titans will crush them.

That's precisely the reason why this thread is not about you. To really spell it out, you're aware of rookies and try to make them welcome. That, to me, is the real core of the matter. Your character may well be unpleasant. You may be involved in serious RP. Fine. But you're aware of rookies and you try to make them welcome. That makes you the exact opposite of the sort of behaviour that is being discussed here.

----

Also, on an unrelated note: Hi there Skidge! Good to see you again. I thought that you'd been abducted by aliens, did they think that you were an average member of society and decide to give Earth a wide birth? Wink

Profile Email
Ada
 Sunday, June 24 2012 @ 02:17 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Man HM, I only scrolled down far enough to get the first quote there, and I thought "seriously?". Of all the people who could- oh. Rhetorical.

...You got me. I was genuinely worried for a moment.

Profile Email
Skidge
 Sunday, June 24 2012 @ 04:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ah... so you object to people being utterly exclusive, wrapped up in their own plots, and completely ignoring what other writers do in a public place where you're supposed to, you know, meet people you don't know yet and let them interact with your story? And doing so both in and out of character?

Okay then. Carry on! ^_^
[/p]

I'll even go one further and say, HEY ISLANDERS! Be utterly exclusive if you want to! Be wrapped up in your own plot if you want to! Don't meet people if you don't want to! Hell, go write your own story and don't involve ANYONE AT ALL if that floats your goat!

(DISCLAIMER: SKIDGEOUS, INC. DOES NOT RECOMMEND ANY READERS MAKE ANY ATTEMPT AT ANY TIME TO FLOAT A GOAT. SHOULD ANY READER CHOOSE TO DISREGARD THIS WARNING AND ATTEMPT GOAT FLOATATION, SKIDGEOUS, INC. IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGES INCURRED OR POSSIBLE LOSS OF GOAT. GOAT LOSSES WILL NOT BE REIMBURSED AT THIS TIME.)

I'm a big believer in the right of the individual to do whatever the hell they want to. (SKIDGEOUS, INC. IS CONCERNED FOR THE WELFARE OF ALL GOATS EVERYWHERE. GOATS ARE VALUABLE MEMBERS OF MODERN SOCIETY. SKIDGEOUS, INC. HOLDS AT THIS TIME NO PREJUDICE TOWARDS LIVESTOCK OF ANY SORT.) You want to go write a story and only invite your friends? Hey, no worries, no judgement, I've done that too! Hell, I'm doing that right now!

Just don't do it in NewHome! Because some of us LIKE having fresh meat to play with, and behavior like what I mentioned above chases it all away! (SKIDGEOUS, INC. WOULD LIKE TO ADD THAT 'FRESH MEAT' WAS IN NO WAY MEANT TO DISPARAGE THE RIGHTS OR EXISTENCE OF THE NOBLE GOAT.)

---
...it was goats, HM. Not aliens.

Goats, dude. *shudder*

(DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RESIST GOAT INVASION. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RESIST GOAT INVASION. MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.)

....so sorry, was that a serious conversation I just derailed?

(........MAAAAAAAAAAAAH.)

Profile Email
Daedalus
 Sunday, June 24 2012 @ 08:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Speaking of over-thinking ...

I'm not convinced that the situation as it stands requires drastic ongoing intervention. Yes there are moments of unpleasantness. Yes there are times when some of the new arrivals will get the wrong impression, and we'll lose a few of that 'some'.

So it goes. Everywhere. Always.

The alternatives of enforced population re-distribution or mandatory curtailment of expression are not to be undertaken lightly. (squeaks: 'Freedom!') Nor do they stand a snowball-in-hell's chance of success.

I think the value of a thread like this is to remind us (white hats) to be actively nice, and the protagonists of dickishness (black hats) will not pay the slightest bit of attention. We're not going to convert anyone into changing hats.

The things that can be done (be nice, tactfully point out preferred behaviours, don't inflame a situation, call a mod if the preceding measures fail) are well canvassed above and elsewhere, and are widely known to white hat wearers. Promoting them to new players that show an inclination to wearing a white hat, but may be erring into the dark side, is very worthwhile*. I'm absolutely open to suggestions of additional measures if they will be likely to achieve significant improvements. Can't think of any just now. Haven't heard any for some time.

D.

(Hides chevon sammich).
No goats were harmed in the making of this post.

*Some time ago, when I was in the business of running a clan, I would ask all new applicants to read or re-read the Rookie Advisory with attention to the Etiquette and Social Graces section, and ask them to give an undertaking to commit to those principles. I don't know if they did, nor do I particularly care, it was my small way of promoting 'white hat' ideals.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
LadyRavenSkye
 Thursday, July 12 2012 @ 03:00 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I have nothing new to add, because most of the things I feel run along the lines of what everyone else is saying.
What everyone usually says every six or so months this sort of topic pops up.

And the same people post, nod their heads, and agree with their big walrus mustaches (as that is how I envision all narrators of owning) and muttered "yushyush"es before adding their two req.

This should be were I paint half of my face blue, and give a speech that'll rally us forth into battle for better New Homeian Manners, but I am not that kind of person, nor do I see the point to continue to push an elephant uphill when it's not really an elephant but a wall and I'm in my room which is not up a hill. I've also lost all hope in there ever being any change that will make New Home as it's supposed to be. We've all tried, very hard. We've criticized other people's methods, bitched on gTalk, banged our heads on our desks, or simply raged quitted.

My grandfather used to go "bite the bullet" if I had a problem that I couldn't solve. Complaining about it all the time isn't going to solve anything, and eventually that will make you bitter.
Ignoring it usually becomes frustrating because there will always be that one person who wants your attention when you don't want to give it to them.
Coming to peace with what we are against be the best option. You can disprove of a person's actions, but there is no need to argue it. Any solution now will become invalid in the new few months as new people join

Profile Email
WolfeMHowler
 Thursday, July 12 2012 @ 03:10 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

It anyone wants my advice, I say we should form the Committee for NewHome Happiness. All peoples considered unruly in NewHome will be savagely hugged by all committee members in the area until they are rendered passive or pass out from lack of oxygen, in which case they will be shipped off to the finest rehabilitation center on the Failboat (after being relieved of a small fee for transport costs, of course).

You cannot believe how many problems can be solved by violently beating your fists against them.

Profile Email
Harris
 Thursday, July 12 2012 @ 03:39 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

HELL YEAH.

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
tehdave
 Thursday, July 12 2012 @ 06:50 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: WolfeMHowler

It anyone wants my advice, I say we should form the Committee for NewHome Happiness. All peoples considered unruly in NewHome will be savagely hugged by all committee members in the area until they are rendered passive or pass out from lack of oxygen, in which case they will be shipped off to the finest rehabilitation center on the Failboat (after being relieved of a small fee for transport costs, of course).

Quote by: Harris

HELL YEAH.

Hey, if Harris is for it, then it can't be all bad, right?

Though as a rule, I tend to avoid membership in any organization that would stoop so low as to allow me as a member. Can't be having that rubbish.

None of it.

Goats.

...crud...

Slightly more on-topic, I think if I dip a bit more into II like I have relatively lately, I'll do my best to bring the Spirit of Skidge™ to Newhome in the form of some weirdo in a lab coat and fedora. Seriously, what's up with that guy?

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Thursday, July 12 2012 @ 03:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: tehdave
Though as a rule, I tend to avoid membership in any organization that would stoop so low as to allow me as a member. Can't be having that rubbish.

None of it.

Goats.

...crud...

I take it one step further; I won't join any organization that won't make me their arch-nemesis. As such, I would have to organize the Committee for NewHome Sadness, which would really be more trouble than it's worth.

Profile Email Website
WolfeMHowler
 Thursday, July 12 2012 @ 06:37 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Come on, guys. Be a Karl, not a Groucho.
The only thing needed to join the Committee is to violently hug someone to near death in front of a Committee member.
We have cupcakes brought in on Thursday, a sing-a-long on Fridays, and the brutal murder of repeat offenders on Saturdays and Sundays.

You cannot believe how many problems can be solved by violently beating your fists against them.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.68 seconds
New Topic Post Reply