Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Suggestions for page navigations.
 |  Printable Version
Clueless
 Thursday, August 30 2012 @ 09:25 PM UTC (Read 7306 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

So, my goal here is suggestions that reduce the number of page loads, and the number of times people have to click to get things done. And that they all be easy changes, nothing that'll take lots of coding, just a few tweaks.

Why? Slightly lower server load, and it saves time for people, especially mobile people.

What and How-

1) The travel events where a camera gives you free req, instead of going to a page that says continue and gives the message, just stay on the world map and give the req message like anything else that pops up, like the Mount messages. Saves 1 page load/click.

2) Raven Inn. I hate clicking away from this thing. I feel like I find it a hundred times a day... And I'm probably not far off sometimes. Recommend the same thing, add the enter link to the map navigation menu, like a Place, maybe have it persist for one more movement just because it's Improbable, to make up for it's lower visibility for people who want to find it. Saves 2 page load/clicks, except when you accidentally click enter instead of exit, then it saves three!

3) Sheila's. I'd guess that 95% of time time people sell something it's in order to buy something else. So when we sell something, put us back in the page of that category! It'd be nice if it did that at the same time as giving the 'You sold this!' message... It feels really unnecessary to have a page devoted to that. Display that message like the sell message in eBoy's! Saves 2 page loads/clicks if you go right to the same category after selling an item, and, again, even more if you include mis-clicks.

4) Running. Can we have a run for five or ten rounds, or have a run until it's all over option? Please? Saves a metric drive-ton of page loads/clicks.

5) Drinks. Now, this isn't really one I think is much of a bother at all, but what about a 'The Works' option at Vigour Mortis, Booz, The Rook's Nest, and Cool Springs Cafe? All it would do is drink both/all available drinks at once. Barring that, navigate right back to the bartender after drinking one drink. Depending on what, and if, you choose, it can save lots of page loads!

6) Cage fights. Or rather, adrenaline shots afterwards. Can there be a link to get a quick shot right there, and it takes you back to the same page so you can fight right away? Saves two page loads each time. Oh, and as far as encouraging rookies to explore the link to go to the Watcher, only have the quick link show up after your first DK, or after the first time you get an adrenaline shot or get the Watcher to return you to the island.

7) Tynan's gym. After doing one round of training, have an additional option to do it five or ten times more! I'd recommend it only shows up then to reduce clutter and prevent accidentally doing 5/10 rounds of training a contestant didn't want to do. But I'd love it even more if all the options were on the main page of the gym. Saves lots and lots of pageloads!

8) Preferences. A way to be able to change these without returning to an Outpost would be Awesome. It's not a common thing to do, so maybe have a link in the inventory? That's one option anyway, I'd be fine with it being right under/over Quit to the Fields. Saves lots of time and pageloads, depending on how far from an unbreached outpost a contestant is when they want to change something.

9) Gifting Station. A 'Redo' button after you've gifted something. Either to the same person, or a different person, with every other thing the same. Or, simply, the option to send multiple packages at once, maintaining the cost of SP per package as is. Except the freebies of course. Saves a heckuva lot of page loads and time.

10) To be determined. I'll think of one, really!

On a completely unrelated note, can Dojo masters get buffed a bit? I don't mean on DK1, or 2 or whatever, but after.. I dunno, lets say 10, maybe 15, they are complete pushovers. I can oneshot most of mine, very easily, without even being on a great joker day. Sure, sometimes I have -90% attack, and then it's actually hard to kill some of them, impossible even, on those rare days. Otherwise they're a disgrace. The truancy text is completely spot on accurate, they're not worthy of my attention. I just didn't feel that this needed it's own thread.

Questions, comments, bitchfits? Post. Err, I don't endorse the last on the forum of course! Distract me to call me a stupid asshole.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Thursday, August 30 2012 @ 09:50 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Agreed with a lot of these, especially 2, 3, and 6.

I think this has been changed (I haven't bought one in recent memory) but it used to make me laugh that you needed to click through like seventeen confirmations to buy a 40 req spork but you could accidentally blow 100 cigs on a claim stake with a misclick. Sheila's in general could definitely be a lot more streamlined.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Thursday, August 30 2012 @ 10:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I agree with these! And I have this to say, also:

Quote by: Clueless
3) Sheila's. I'd guess that 95% of time time people sell something it's in order to buy something else. So when we sell something, put us back in the page of that category! It'd be nice if it did that at the same time as giving the 'You sold this!' message... It feels really unnecessary to have a page devoted to that. Display that message like the sell message in eBoy's! Saves 2 page loads/clicks if you go right to the same category after selling an item, and, again, even more if you include mis-clicks.

Or, just have the "Buy" button automatically sell your old thing. (Thus the mechanism which governs the buy button's appearance would also have to take into effect the price the person current weapon/thing and whether on not the contestant could sell it.)

4) Running. Can we have a run for five or ten rounds, or have a run until it's all over option? Please? Saves a metric drive-ton of page loads/clicks.

Also, same thing with insults. Still.

8) Preferences. A way to be able to change these without returning to an Outpost would be Awesome. It's not a common thing to do, so maybe have a link in the inventory? That's one option anyway, I'd be fine with it being right under/over Quit to the Fields. Saves lots of time and pageloads, depending on how far from an unbreached outpost a contestant is when they want to change something.

I'd be happy with just a link on the world map and in Places. Y'know, for RP.

10)

Allow me to put words in your mouth about putting food in your mouth: after purchasing a meal, the owners shouldn't kick you out of the restaurant. You should still be sitting in the restaurant, with the options of leaving, buying more food, or selling meat.

Profile Email Website
Clueless
 Thursday, August 30 2012 @ 11:22 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

Allow me to put words in your mouth about putting food in your mouth: after purchasing a meal, the owners shouldn't kick you out of the restaurant. You should still be sitting in the restaurant, with the options of leaving, buying more food, or selling meat.

That would of been one, but alas, it is already true!

You don't get kicked out anymore! You stay on the same screen.

Also, a reply from Matthew agreeing with me and not actively disagreeing with anything? Good Feth I'm on fire!

Or, just have the "Buy" button automatically sell your old thing. (Thus the mechanism which governs the buy button's appearance would also have to take into effect the price the person current weapon/thing and whether on not the contestant could sell it.)

I love this even more, but I think it'd take more coding to do. I totally support it, but for the sake of ease of implementation my suggestion remains my recommendation. Unless it's really easy as well, then screw my idea and do that instead!

Profile Email
Matthew
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 12:09 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Also, a reply from Matthew agreeing with me and not actively disagreeing with anything? Good Feth I'm on fire!

I am sad and amused that this is a completely fair thing to say

Profile Email
Collin-Vee
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 12:14 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Matthew

I am sad and amused that this is a completely fair thing to say

Profile Email
Matthew
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 12:18 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm

I'm a little uncertain what you're trying to say here

Profile Email
Clueless
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 12:34 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Oi, Oi!

Simmer down on the spammage, eh?

Thank you!

Profile Email
Collin-Vee
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 01:44 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Oi, Oi!

Simmer down on the spammage, eh?

Thank you!

Profile Email
Clueless
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 02:13 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Really, Collin, that's beyond beginning to become annoying. At this point, the answer to your spam image is starting to be Jackass. I already asked nicely.

If someone of appropriate power should see this, please delete the spam, thank you.

Profile Email
Collin-Vee
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 02:16 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Really, Collin, that's beyond beginning to become annoying. At this point, the answer to your spam image is starting to be Jackass. I already asked nicely.

Apologies. Took the silliness too far.

Profile Email
Clueless
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 02:54 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Collin-Vee

Apologies. Took the silliness too far.

Alright, we're good then.

Profile Email
quinn
 Friday, August 31 2012 @ 03:50 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Total agreement here! Clue, stop taking words from my head!!

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 04:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh... well, look at me, being topical. Hmm... new ten!

10) Like the Pinata, get rid of the Kissing Booth link after it's used up for the day. Add some flavor text explaining "once per day", if you must, CMJ.

Profile Email Website
Clueless
 Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 09:05 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Oh... well, look at me, being topical. Hmm... new ten!

10) Like the Pinata, get rid of the Kissing Booth link after it's used up for the day. Add some flavor text explaining "once per day", if you must, CMJ.

Well, sounds nice.. But that isn't exactly in line with the theme of the thread, streamlining common events to reduce the number of pageloads.

It can still be #10 though!

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Saturday, September 01 2012 @ 09:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It wastes pageloads when I have to pop in and check if I've gone there yet.

Profile Email Website
Manist
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 09:16 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Mabye remove the "return to ImprobableCentral" when a event occurs. I hate when I get a beer spilled on me then wander out of the building when I went to listen to Seth and get shot down by flirt with Emily.

Profile Email
Trilonias
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 10:25 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I think you got most of the bases pretty well covered... Just need CMJ to notice this or something. See what he says/thinks.

This is Trilonias, signing off!

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 10:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

6) Cage fights. Or rather, adrenaline shots afterwards. Can there be a link to get a quick shot right there, and it takes you back to the same page so you can fight right away? Saves two page loads each time. Oh, and as far as encouraging rookies to explore the link to go to the Watcher, only have the quick link show up after your first DK, or after the first time you get an adrenaline shot or get the Watcher to return you to the island.

Or, better yet, just make the 2-3 options you get when talking to the Watcher not in their own little room, but under a "Talk to the Watcher" heading in the Retraining Pits.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 02:06 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Tonight I am rebuilding the Gifting Station. My criteria is that it should take less than two minutes to send five different things to ten different people.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.68 seconds
New Topic Post Reply