Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Suggestions for page navigations.
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 02:25 AM UTC  

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Tonight I am rebuilding the Gifting Station. My criteria is that it should take less than two minutes to send five different things to ten different people.

Hell yes.

You fill my life with joy, CMJ.

Matthew
 Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 11:19 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Profile Email
Matthew
 Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 11:45 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Too late to edit: I guess two Islanders living in the same house are gonna have to use a middleman now, huh?

Profile Email
LydiaDefountain
 Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 02:18 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well at least till the place banter options get rolled out.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 03:04 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

Too late to edit: I guess two Islanders living in the same house are gonna have to use a middleman now, huh?

You always had to do that anyway didn't you? Or am I missing something here?

Profile Email
 Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 06:00 PM UTC  

YAAAAY Mr. Green

New gifting station features rock.

Can I still ask for a confirmation screen before you box up all the gifts, listing what you're sending and how much of each? Like,
2 cookies
1 teleporter
20 chocolate cupcakes

continue y/n?

Even sans item confirmation, it's way better than trying to carefully click the exact right item out of a list of a hundred things.

Ada
 Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 06:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Escemfer

YAAAAY Mr. Green

New gifting station features rock.

Can I still ask for a confirmation screen before you box up all the gifts, listing what you're sending and how much of each? Like,
2 cookies
1 teleporter
20 chocolate cupcakes

continue y/n?

Even sans item confirmation, it's way better than trying to carefully click the exact right item out of a list of a hundred things.

Seconding all of this. New gifting is so excellent!

Profile Email
Matthew
 Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 08:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

You always had to do that anyway didn't you? Or am I missing something here?

Nah, two different computers on the same connection were okay, but now it seems it just the entire IP range is under the hammer now. Oh well.

Profile Email
 Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 09:07 PM UTC  

--I believe that players from the same email address or IP address couldn't send things to each other... and then, for a while, people were able to do so. Not sure whether that was ever intended or not, since CMJ initially disabled sending-to-alts deliberately.

Though I think it would be really cool if I was able to, y'know, send a Memento to Ebenezer... or send a Title Changer to another of my characters...

Matthew
 Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 09:30 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I don't know how the system would possibly know the difference. Only thing I can think of is a mod-maintained whitelist of people who can prove they're separate people under the same roof.

I live with Waverly and used to send stuff to her all the time, so yep. Need a go-between to do that now.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 09:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Additionally, could there be a way to remove contestant names from the list? Say you just entered 20-odd names only to see you mis-clicked on one of them.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
 Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 10:49 PM UTC  

I don't know how the system would possibly know the difference. Only thing I can think of is a mod-maintained whitelist of people who can prove they're separate people under the same roof.

I live with Waverly and used to send stuff to her all the time, so yep. Need a go-between to do that now.

I think a good way to do it would be to have certain items disabled for transfer between "alts", such as sellable eBoy's items, since that's the main point of disabling gifting. But then again, I don't know how complicated that would be to program.

Matthew
 Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 10:50 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yeah. It shouldn't matter if we want to send hunter's lodge stuff to alts or not. I mean, does it really matter who bought it?

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 04:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I love this thread.

To me, these things suggested ... as they are, they're just screens to click through. (It reminds me inescapably of Windows asking you "program X wants to do Y! is that allowed?" every single time that you open a program or change a file.) Simplifying the navigations would be so lovely. Of course, it's work for CMJ to do them, but then For Ever And Ever Amen, the players have a more-pleasing less-boring time, and the server doesn't have to dish out quite so many helpings of That Same Thing Again.

My favourites so far: the beautiful redesign of the Gifting Station and Distractions (no more copy-paste and ticking off a list, when sending things to three or thirty-three people! Yay!). And the hopefully-to-be-taken-up suggestions for streamlining Sheila's and simplifying Raven Inn and camera-req.

My own suggestion, for the thing I would really really like, which would save me a huge amount of clicking:

In Places, from the Programming menu, when you click to edit a Program, you can use the Contraptions and Contrivances which are currently in your inventory.

To use the C&Cs from your in-Place stockpile, you have to leave the programming menu and go to the Place Inventory, find and take the C&Cs one by one (while trying to remember/work out exactly what you'll need) and then go back to the Programming menu and back to that particular program.

It would be much simpler if the C&Cs in the Place's inventory showed up for use in the Edit This Program menu.

After all, when you're doing construction work you don't have to go to the Place's inventory and pick up the Logs and Stones one by one by one by one by one into your Inventory to build with them (hooray!). You just go to the Current Jobs screen, and click Build (and with those lovely x5, x10 and All buttons, too!)

And also: I know these have been suggested elsewhere, but I'm going to repeat them because I love them so much:

1. Bulk pick-up/put-down, give/take, and transfer-to-backpack/transfer-to-inventory of objects, with an input box for how many to do. Or by a Move Half button.
For instance:

- Weightless building materials from the Creator Bundle get built with first by default, when you have normal and Weightless. I don't want to use my Weightless ones first - what if I want to take them somewhere else? But you see, I never deliberately moved them into my Place. They jumped in without my permission when I was bringing ordinary ones. If I do Take All on the Weightless, then the normal ones come too. If I do Take All on the normal, then the Weightless ones come too. So if I want to move them back to my Lodge bag, then I have to scroll and click two thousand five hundred times. Bugger that for a game of soldiers.

- Moving building materials from one Place to another. If I'm helping a friend, I can go to my stockpile, and scroll down to logs. Click to take one. Scroll down to logs. Click to take one. Scroll down to logs. Click to take one. And by the time I've taken enough logs to be a worthwhile gift, I'm so bored of click-and-scroll that I would rather have just gone to get a kit and cut new ones.

- Moving five Improbability bombs to my bandolier from my backpack, or six each of Zaps and Bangs. There's a lot of scrolling going on in the player-inventory page - Sort Alphabetically nicely gets Bangs to the top, but with the Dancer's Ribbon, a cooking pan, and four kinds of herbs always in my backpack along with the currently-useful things, no matter what sort order I use I can hardly ever get Zaps or Improbabombs near the top of the list. Especially since Sort Recent seems to put recently-acquired things at the end of the list.

2. Bulk buy/sell at eBoy's. Yes, of course, this does require Maths and even Strategies and so on because of prices changing as the stock changes. But, as someone who frequently buys and sells grenades by the fifty, I would far rather click only a few times and pay a lot more than sit there mashing the B or A keys (which often has me accidentally doing something else when the hotkey changes) for several minutes.

In summary: Yes! Please! More of this excellent stuff!

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Ada
 Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 05:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Buddleia

- Moving five Improbability bombs to my bandolier from my backpack, or six each of Zaps and Bangs. There's a lot of scrolling going on in the player-inventory page - Sort Alphabetically nicely gets Bangs to the top, but with the Dancer's Ribbon, a cooking pan, and four kinds of herbs always in my backpack along with the currently-useful things, no matter what sort order I use I can hardly ever get Zaps or Improbabombs near the top of the list. Especially since Sort Recent seems to put recently-acquired things at the end of the list.

Yes, could we please get the reverse of sort recent? I like sort recent because it means my meat pan is at the top of the list, but sucks to be me when I have a pile of unopened gifts to scroll down through to get to my grenades, but I only want to put half of them into my bandolier...

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 05:29 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ada

Quote by: Buddleia

Yes, could we please get the reverse of sort recent? I like sort recent because it means my meat pan is at the top of the list, but sucks to be me when I have a pile of unopened gifts to scroll down through to get to my grenades, but I only want to put half of them into my bandolier...

Isn't it easier to put all of them in your bandolier and take half of them out again? Even though that's more individual grenades moved, that's what I often do.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 05:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Quote by: Ada

Isn't it easier to put all of them in your bandolier and take half of them out again? Even though that's more individual grenades moved, that's what I often do.

Depends whether you're optimising for total clicks, total scrolling, or total time taken. Big Grin

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Maniak
 Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 06:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh Buddleia, I can just imagine you with a stopwatch in your hand and a spreadsheet at your side. "Let's go transfer some grenades!"

On topic: I absolutely LOVE the instant 'search as you type' feature in the Gifting Station. Love it to bits.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
quinn
 Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 07:42 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I was going to quote a part of it, but then I realized I just agree with Buddleia's entire post, so this is me agreeing!

Profile Email
Cicero
 Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 09:51 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I would like to be able to move grenades, etc, to my bandolier WHILE in eBoy's.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.40 seconds
New Topic Post Reply