Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Naming the Food Mechanics
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 04:48 PM UTC  

Quote by: Cherriki+Ten

It's the internet, people. I have seen FAAAAAR worse and offensive things.

I'll just say that, generally, Cherriki, I'm with you on that. Mr. Green Gonna keep my political and social opinions here to myself, but yeah, that's a fair enough point! I just noticed that, hey, that's kinda a mean-spirited message, and decided to say something about it. (And, of course, my opinion of what is mean-spirited is not the be-all end-all of what is and is not allowed on the internet.)

CavemanJoe
 Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 04:54 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

@Ada: Personally (and this is probably waaaay TMI) I think they're called love handles for a reason, and yeah, fat is sexy as hell - but I can't bloody go "Damn, you're looking Rubenesque. You're looking like the accepted standard of beauty since the dawn of time up until the last sixty years, when everything went topsy-turvy. LOL YOU LOSE LOADS OF STAMINA."

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 04:58 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Emily just turned to me and said "You know the whole Island's gonna think I'm fat, now, right?"

And then she said "Not that there's anything wrong with that. I am, a little bit."

And then she said "Quit it! You're not allowed to quote me on the Island!"

Profile Email Website
Cherriki Ten
 Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 05:01 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

@Ada: Personally (and this is probably waaaay TMI) I think they're called love handles for a reason, and yeah, fat is sexy as hell - but I can't bloody go "Damn, you're looking Rubenesque. You're looking like the accepted standard of beauty since the dawn of time up until the last sixty years, when everything went topsy-turvy. LOL YOU LOSE LOADS OF STAMINA."

I only have one thing to say to you, sir: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9XML7iXSf0

(okay, that s not really saying anything but y'know)

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 06:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'll take a stab at changing the flavour to something more Improbable. And poisonous.

PHP Formatted Code
if ($fat<0){
                    output("`0You don't feel poisoned by Improbability at all!  You gain some Stamina!`n");
                    addstamina(50000);
                }
                if ($fat>=0 && $fat<20){
                    output("`0You feel a healthy amount of insanity and Improbability in your various squishy-bits today.`n");
                }
                if ($fat>=20 && $fat<50){
                    output("`0You can't be sure, but you think your small intestine may be a garden hose today.`0  You lose a little Stamina.`n");
                    removestamina(25000);
                }
                if ($fat>=50 && $fat<100){
                    output("`0You hear your liver squeaking. It's a rubber duck. And it's talking to the fountain pen that happens to be your appendix. How novel.`0  You lose some Stamina.`n");
                    removestamina(50000);
                }
                if ($fat>=100){
                    output("`0Your lungs have been replaced by an accordion. A broken accordion. And your tonsils have banded together to form a kazoo. And your heart is now `iliterally`i beating like a drum. Oh, joyous day.`0.  You lose a lot of Stamina.`n");
                    removestamina(100000);
                }

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 07:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, maybe it could be more vague. One is, what- how hungry you are, right? The other one, instead of being fatness, could just be overall health. 'Fat' could be changed to... I dunno... 'Unhealthiness' or 'Richness' or some other word? 'Improbability Poisoning', I'm sorry to say FML, doesn't make any sense in the context of the food system.

It sounds like it would work pretty great for Jokers, but some people are human and would probably just fucking die if their liver was a rubber duck.

PHP Formatted Code
`0You feel `2great, and ready to take on the world`0!  You gain some Stamina!
`0You're feeling pretty good!
`0You feel `^slightly queasy, like you'
ve had some better days`0.  You lose a little Stamina.
`0You feel `6a little nauseous`0.  You lose some Stamina.
`0You feel `4like crap. Whatever you ate yesterday feels like it desperately wants to escape`0.  You lose quite a bit of stamina.

Or something. Colors changed for each from green-yellow-red so that you can tell more at a glance how you're feeling that day, I guess.

I do agree that the orphan thing is a funny-once. After seeing it over and over and over and over and over and over and over it's kind of more eye-rolling. If we keep fat:

PHP Formatted Code
`0You are looking `4very heavy`0.  You lose quite a bit of stamina.

I dunno. Simple and fits better with the others, I guess.

Profile Email
LydiaDefountain
 Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 08:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

Well, maybe it could be more vague. One is, what- how hungry you are, right? The other one, instead of being fatness, could just be overall health. 'Fat' could be changed to... I dunno... 'Unhealthiness' or 'Richness' or some other word? 'Improbability Poisoning', I'm sorry to say FML, doesn't make any sense in the context of the food system.

It sounds like it would work pretty great for Jokers, but some people are human and would probably just fucking die if their liver was a rubber duck.

PHP Formatted Code
`0You feel `2great, and ready to take on the world`0!  You gain some Stamina!
`0You're feeling pretty good!
`0You feel `^slightly queasy, like you'
ve had some better days`0.  You lose a little Stamina.
`0You feel `6a little nauseous`0.  You lose some Stamina.
`0You feel `4like crap. Whatever you ate yesterday feels like it desperately wants to escape`0.  You lose quite a bit of stamina.

Or something. Colors changed for each from green-yellow-red so that you can tell more at a glance how you're feeling that day, I guess.

I do agree that the orphan thing is a funny-once. After seeing it over and over and over and over and over and over and over it's kind of more eye-rolling. If we keep fat:

PHP Formatted Code
`0You are looking `4very heavy`0.  You lose quite a bit of stamina.

I dunno. Simple and fits better with the others, I guess.

I like this though maybe I'll take my own shot with a more energy theme..

And it is a idea to have the Jokers maybe.. possibly end up starting to avoid their meal immunity to eat what they want and have it not affect them, it just affect them differently.. though I may be just shooting myself in the foot for that.

PHP Formatted Code
`0You feel `2great, refreshed, and ready to take on the world`0!  You gain some Stamina!
`0You feel sort of like normal, not good or bad or even purple. It's just a day.
`0You feel `^just a bit meh today, maybe you need to eat healthier.`0.  You lose a little Stamina.
`0You feel `6a little lethargic. You knew you shouldn'
t have eaten that but the salads have snails.. ick.`0.  You lose some Stamina.
`0You feel `4tired and you just got up today. Well they say the way to have energy is to use it, best get to it? Maybe in 5 more minutes...`0.  You lose quite a bit of stamina.

I dunno maybe.. as I said I liked the 'sick' series, just adding my own attempt.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 08:47 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh, and something else. What would make Zombie a better race but not unbalanced would be simply removing their ability to be slender/fat. Zombies can't get fat. That is literally the exact opposite of how zombies work.

edit: on a similar note, I DKed and then spent the entire first game day just cooking/cleaning tasty meat. When I woke up the next day I was 'a little bit round'. Is that supposed to happen? If it is, why is monster meat so fattening if we're trying to encourage the use of cooking/cleaning?

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 09:00 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh, really, Matthew?

Anyhow, I'm not really attached to Improbability poison, the question is just what could be in the food that would penalize you on NewDay. Alcohol? Artificial flavouring? Very tiny knives? Apathy? Germs?

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 09:04 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Presumably, those zombies were fat before they became zombies.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 10:12 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

the question is just what could be in the food that would penalize you on NewDay. Alcohol? Artificial flavouring? Very tiny knives? Apathy? Germs?

Once again, not rewriting the descriptions. Once is enough.

Profile Email Website
LydiaDefountain
 Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 10:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well it's very clear the fatty food that would make you fat are the bad things.. the idea is that we mostly work off the stam and the schoolbus discript may be a idea to change..

The fact that it's Fat there isn't something I'd change.. fillingness or something instead of Mass would be nice as Mass can seem odd food wise. And the other names.. things that only affect the graphs in the restaurants not the actual meal writing. CMJ by the seem of some of the meal writing in Squat almost got burnt out trying to come up with all the new meals as is.

The comments on changing the stam % bonus/penalty I sort of agree with.. no harm in it if CMJ likes a suggestion. But ya it's likely the Fat that would cause it in most normal races.. though I don't see contestants having to run for their lives likely getting tub sized given that most players will try to burn all the stam, so low energy/getting sick for eating too fatty unhealthy food is understandable.. might even make the fact that the Rat packs make you 'fat' make more sense that they are making you sick/feel drained for not really eating right. That problem of logistics solved more or less with the least amount of work.. yay?

Another idea is that a joker gets more improbable based on consuming too much fat would be plausible for just that race, and might make Jokers even more interesting to play with the food system with just as an idea to toss CMJ's way along with the idea to maybe make Zombies be the ones that don't get fat... maybe have Jokers not get full/too hungry but still with a improbable flavored fat content debuff/buff and the Zombies with the hungry/ well fed one but not the fat one... maybe perhaps.. not sure if that might make things unbalanced at all.. just tossing ideas about as usual.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 02:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Jeebus cripes, people. I'm a 200-pound short 21-year-old virgin nerd with brown skin and an awful fashion sense. If I took offense at every joke at my expense, I'd probably have been a permanent ball of blubbering blubber long before I ever came to the island. Any joke that involves a label about people is an unfair stereotype that has the potential to offend people within that group. However, the jokes will only offend those who aren't in the position to appreciate the humor of the joke. It's not even "people without a sense of humor" like many of the comedy persuasion as myself would say. I have heard some fantastic jokes where the punchline is the subject of the joke dying of cancer. These are hilarious jokes! But if one of the audience members has a mother who recently died of lymphoma, well shit. Obviously they're not going to enjoy it as much as the others, but that doesn't mean the joke "isn't funny" or "is offensive".

People choose to take offense from a joke, and do it on a joke-by-joke basis. It's completely valid to take offense, I'm not saying that a person who doesn't enjoy a joke simply doesn't have a sense of humor. (Once Ashtu brought up the site dedicated to transsexuals who've been killed as an act of hate, I wasn't going to defend "Newly Female Contestant" from being removed from the game in case people might take it the wrong way.) I recognize that some jokes, while again I do not view as capable of being inherently offensive, can definitely be more likely than others to strike peoples' sensitivities hard.

So being fat: I'm fat. I've grown so comfortable in my fat that I love my size. I like who I see in the mirror. I'm totally cool with my body image. When people make a fat joke, I don't give a shit. When people make a terrorist joke about the A-Rabs after looking at my skin color, I egg them on laughingly. When people proclaim in front of me that virgins are losers, I roll my eyes. I don't think we need to be concerned with the problem of how offensive a playful, impersonal poke at the unhealthiness of being fat is until someone actually comes up with hate mail admonishing the Island for the real, actual emotional effect it has caused.

On a broader note, please stop telling me what I might be offended by. I'll make that choice. Tell us if you're personally offended by whatever remark.

On a zombie note, I totally endorse giving zombies the inability to be affected by overeating. My concept of zombies are that they're endless pits of ravening and they shouldn't be penalized for fulfill that trope.

On a FML note, your knowledge of fat, energy, stamina, biological anthropology, and all the related spheres is really... questionable. I can inform you that being really fat does not mean I have this fantastic weightless store of extra energy that I can burn whenever I feel like going the extra mile. It means that every day, I start wheezing and fading before everybody else due to energy loss. It means that I can't climb as many stairs or walk as many steps before my thighs chafe from rubbing against each other. It means that I start sweating like squeezed sponged after minimal activity. Being fat isn't a physical enhancement just because it was part of our evolution or because it does confer a few benefits. I've started going to the gym to lose about 20 pounds not because of any emotional problems or attractiveness reasons--it's because being fat is physically uncomfortable.

On a final note, am I the only one who LOVES the schoolbus description every time? It's hilarious. I love the outright crassness of the idea that these poor orphaned children would be unceremoniously slaughtered and devoured in your pursuit of MEAT. It is funny with every viewing, and doesn't give me horrible reminders of how worthless I am as a person for really, really liking the taste of food.

Profile Email
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 02:26 AM UTC  

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

On a broader note, please stop telling me what I might be offended by.

I wouldn't dream of speaking for everyone. Why such a ticked-off response, Awesome Fred? I thought I'd put forth my opinion in a polite and respectful fashion, and hadn't put words in anyone's mouth or spoken for everyone on the site. I have absolutely no problem with people having a different opinion than me. Smile An opinion's just as legit whoever it's from.

Edited cuz dumb word choice.

Awesome Fred
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 02:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Escemfer

On a broader note, please stop telling me what I might be offended by.

I wouldn't dream of speaking for everyone. Why such a ticked-off response, Awesome Fred? I thought I'd put forth my opinion in a polite and respectful fashion, and hadn't put words in anyone's mouth or spoken for everyone on the site. I have absolutely no problem with people having a different opinion than me. Smile An opinion's just as legit whoever it's from.

Edited cuz dumb word choice.

That's not directed at anyone or any statement in particular, so I didn't intend for that to sound as ticked as it must seem. But I admit it's a particular type of amusing to see many people talking about "how awful it must be" to be made fun of for being fat. If you've got the certain sense of a humor (yet again, I stress not just "a sense of humor") for it, it's not any more awful than any other sort of ribbing, and we're a long shot away from having a society where all humor is free of any targets.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 02:54 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

{a lot of rather charged words that may or may not make some people angry}

Let's keep it friendly here, okay?

Profile Email
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 02:59 AM UTC  

people talking about "how awful it must be" to be made fun of for being fat.

I don't think it's really fair to assume that just because I (or anyone!) neglected to state my reasons for thinking it potentially offensive, I (or anyone!) have no personal experience with the issue. And no, I'm not going to share whether or not I have personal experience with the issue because I don't think a person has to be/know someone who's fat (or gay or brown-skinned or a virgin or anything) to be a considerate person. It's just an opinion, nothing more, and I like to try to be considerate whether or not I personally find something amusing. Not everyone shares my sense of humor and/or life experiences.

Aaaand I'm pretty sure I'm near (if not over) the line of what is and isn't relevant to this thread, so Imma wander on back to my corner now! Razz

Awesome Fred
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 03:02 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

{a lot of rather charged words that may or may not make some people angry}

Let's keep it friendly here, okay?

Maybe I'm being blinded temporarily by my posting fervor, but I'm actually at a loss at trying to find what I've said that's highly charged. I thought my words were semi-carefully picked, but if you want to make snips directly into my post Sessine and have me retroactively work out what I said untactfully, that might be a good idea. Go ahead if so.

EDIT: C'mon, posting while I'm online? Man, forum-ing is a chore.

I don't think it's really fair to assume that just because I (or anyone!) neglected to state my reasons for thinking it potentially offensive, I (or anyone!) have no personal experience with the issue. And no, I'm not going to share whether or not I have personal experience with the issue because I don't think a person has to be/know someone who's fat (or gay or brown-skinned or a virgin or anything) to be a considerate person. It's just an opinion, nothing more, and I like to try to be considerate whether or not I personally find something amusing. Not everyone shares my sense of humor and/or life experiences.

Aaaand I'm pretty sure I'm near (if not over) the line of what is and isn't relevant to this thread, so Imma wander on back to my corner now!

Then consider my argument a drop in the bucket of possible viewpoints. I see an outpouring of "man, this schoolbus line has been offensive and no one has been brave enough to speak out against it" and since I think it's funny and mostly harmless, I want to keep it. I gave my "credentials" in order to state that while you're being considerate, which is admirable, in my perspective it's needlessly considerate--that this untargeted jab at the player's character doesn't need to go, and that it's more funny than it is offensive.

I could very well be wrong in that assessment. If I am, then so be it.

I promise I won't bite heads off of anyone who disagrees with me. I've clearly become a monster in the past couple weeks.

Profile Email
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 03:22 AM UTC  

Other people's perspectives are cool, ain't they? It makes life more interesting! Mr. Green

Awesome Fred
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 03:24 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Escemfer

Other people's perspectives are cool, ain't they? It makes life more interesting! Mr. Green

It makes life so complicated! It's so HARD to be right when things are subjective...

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.46 seconds
New Topic Post Reply