Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Naming the Food Mechanics
 |  Printable Version
LydiaDefountain
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 04:03 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

**shrugs** as in my post earlier I'm open to the idea of change moreso for the logistics of how.. well honestly likely if everyone played game mechanic wise of the Fat aspect the island would be fatter then America :p

I like the idea in a way that people could, or would be more willing to rp it but meh staying the same is fine though at the same time having some change to the description or something on the Rat pack that warns or even explains how those things can make you a tub of lard would be nice and maybe warn the Newbies more as I do remember having to coach a decent few that they are losing stam and fat because of those and they needed to address their in-game diet.

I'm not saying to change it because of ohh my gosh we need to be pc.. and if there is much more pc talk someone should submit some sort of pc police to join the grammar nazi.

I dunno I'm flip floping I know but the fat flavor at newday makes sense for everything but if you eat a lot of rat packs it surprises people that they are tubby, because the flavor text makes the Rat packs seem like they would have you looking anarexic instead... It has actually taken a bit for me to explain to a newbie once that it was the rat packs, not the kitt steaks they were eating as well that were doing that to them.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 05:44 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

So... basically we should just keep everything the same and everyone will be vaguely disgruntled but no one will object too much?

Fatness and its perception in culture is one of those things that I hate talking about because it just gets confusing, and it's got a great potential for offensiveness. But I don't believe that the mere mention of it is always offensive. I don't have to tell you about my relative fatness or skinniness to say that whether you offend someone by talking about fat has almost everything to do with how you say it.

In a game where you have to eat food, it's perfectly sensible to gain weight, lose weight, be more healthy, be less healthy, as a result of eating. That's how food works. I think that any talk of "renaming the food mechanics" is silly. If anyone is offended by the mere idea that you can get fat as a result of eating, then I'm sorry to say that I think they're too easily offended.

I wouldn't mind seeing the current NewDay text changed, but I also wouldn't mind if they stayed. So far we've been saying "well this could be super offensive to someone else", but I guess I'm recommending caution against getting too offended about something trivial (like a line of text in a game) on someone else's behalf. Racism, sexism, sure--stand up for others. But in my opinion this is a small thing, at least until someone actually stands up and says "this is deeply hurtful to me and I wish you would change it". Does that make sense? I'm fairly sure I'm not a total asshole. It's just--it's such a trivial thing.

This whole thread could be resolved with a change to one line--the schoolbus of orphans line. Will anyone argue with me if I say that, generally speaking, if you are more fat (especially if you have, from eating unhealthily, rapidly gained fat that your body was not predisposed towards), it is more difficult to do physically strenuous tasks in the vein of walking across entire islands, running, and leaping at monsters? (Not things like weightlifting or rowing or something, but walking long distances.) If we assume that fat on the Island--which is exclusively gained through eating fatty foods, not through genetics or anything else--hampers your physical performance, as fat (and especially fat gained through eating crap) tends to do in the real-world, then we can change that line to something totally innocuous that sounds something like "You're really putting on the pounds, you know. It's getting a bit harder for you to run about. You start off the day with less Stamina."

I feel like I've been going round and round in circles in a mostly futile attempt to explain myself without being a jerk. Sorry, if I offended anybody.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 11:26 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I feel kind of bad that I indirectly started this whole thing?

I was never offended nor did I mean to imply I was. My (very minor) beef with that text is not that it's offensive, but that after the fifty millionth time, it's boring. I guess there's also the fact that I don't really care for the game giving you painstaking control over exactly how your character looks and then the newday screen saying "just kidding you're fat lmao", and that's why I suggested a healthy-sick scale rather than a thin-fat one.

And trust me, I totally know what being fat is like. It's not very fun and makes you feel totally exhausted. When I was 18 I weighed probably 380+ lbs. No, that's not a typo.

(fyi now I'm 24, 6'0", and about 210. Losing another 20-30 certainly wouldn't hurt. I'm working on it jeez)

Profile Email
Iriana
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 11:52 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

As for the 'boring' part, I dunno what could be done about it. The NewDay text is not particularly thrilling in general. Do you mean that the minor funniness of the text in the first place wears off and becomes boring?

But this:

Quote by: Matthew

a healthy-sick scale rather than a thin-fat one

This... was what I meant to say in my unnecessarily long comment above, but I just reread what I wrote and I somehow managed to not mention it at all. Well, anyways, I agree with this. Even in the real-world it's more constructive to talk about weight/fat in terms of healthy and sick.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 11:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Iriana

Do you mean that the minor funniness of the text in the first place wears off and becomes boring?

Pretty much, yes.

Profile Email
Sonny
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 01:51 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I'm on the side of "schoolbus full of orphans" loses the fun pretty soon. (Btw, why orphans? This might be even more offending?)

Now how about a bunch of lines for every state of physical condition and a random one gets picked every newday to vary things a bit?

My reason: Noticing new stuff is always fun and enhances the newday-page. Wasn't it cool when Budget Horse evolved? Bloody and weird, but certainly interesting!

Profile Email
Maniak
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 03:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Matthew, you have 289 Drive Kills. I am not at all surprised that the novelty of eating a school bus full of orphans has worn off for you.

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

It means that I start sweating like squeezed sponged after minimal activity. Being fat isn't a physical enhancement just because it was part of our evolution or because it does confer a few benefits. I've started going to the gym to lose about 20 pounds not because of any emotional problems or attractiveness reasons--it's because being fat is physically uncomfortable.

On the subject of rewording the message, I think Awesome Fred and Iriana capture the gist of one possible route. A message that describes physical discomfort as a result of being overweight would show a more intelligent sense of humour, but somehow I don't think "It is a new day! You lose some stamina hoisting your blubberous behind out of bed." is going to be less offensive.

The school bus full of orphans is absurd and ridiculous. That is why it is good.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Full Metal Lion
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 05:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

On a FML note, your knowledge of fat, energy, stamina, biological anthropology, and all the related spheres is really... questionable. I can inform you that being really fat does not mean I have this fantastic weightless store of extra energy that I can burn whenever I feel like going the extra mile.

I have no problem saying my knowledge is shaky, but the point stands that to get fat, you have to consume more calories than you use, which means that foods predestined to give you x amount of fat would have to give you a hypothetically infinite amount of energy, plus x. Much simpler to say that fat Improbably contains very tiny knives or poison. Or, I suppose, that eating fatty foods Improbably shackles you with biological yet biologically-useless cinder blocks. I do still chuckle at the orphan description when I see it, though.

I've also come to add another aspect of foods to my "request for rename" list! It's a bit late, but hey, might as well put it out there. Name is currently known as "Specimen name" which is not only unnecessarily long, but, if "Daily Energy Requirement Score" were shortened to "Stamina", "Specimen name" would also be the only thing making the top box two lines. Which totally matters.

Profile Email Website
Iriana
 Monday, September 03 2012 @ 10:13 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

On a FML note, your knowledge of fat, energy, stamina, biological anthropology, and all the related spheres is really... questionable. I can inform you that being really fat does not mean I have this fantastic weightless store of extra energy that I can burn whenever I feel like going the extra mile.

I have no problem saying my knowledge is shaky, but the point stands that to get fat, you have to consume more calories than you use, which means that foods predestined to give you x amount of fat would have to give you a hypothetically infinite amount of energy, plus x. Much simpler to say that fat Improbably contains very tiny knives or poison. Or, I suppose, that eating fatty foods Improbably shackles you with biological yet biologically-useless cinder blocks. I do still chuckle at the orphan description when I see it, though.

Now I'm just confused. FML, what? Is... is there anything anywhere about a food giving you a predestined amount of fat?

Also, you really like those tiny knives. Why would anyone eat things (much less pay tons of req to eat things) that they know contains tiny knives (or poison)? "But Iriana!" you might say. "Same goes for fat! Why would anyone eat things that they know contains fat?" Why? Because fat is delicious. It tastes wonderful. It makes other things taste wonderful. Tiny knives, less so.

Also, I missed the first part of the Budget Horse saga and had to look it up in the wiki or something because I blew past it at NewDay. I'm willing to bet that not everyone spends their time painstakingly reading the NewDay text (sorry, CMJ).

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 12:48 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Iriana
Now I'm just confused. FML, what? Is... is there anything anywhere about a food giving you a predestined amount of fat?

Also, you really like those tiny knives. Why would anyone eat things (much less pay tons of req to eat things) that they know contains tiny knives (or poison)? "But Iriana!" you might say. "Same goes for fat! Why would anyone eat things that they know contains fat?" Why? Because fat is delicious. It tastes wonderful. It makes other things taste wonderful. Tiny knives, less so.

Also, I missed the first part of the Budget Horse saga and had to look it up in the wiki or something because I blew past it at NewDay. I'm willing to bet that not everyone spends their time painstakingly reading the NewDay text (sorry, CMJ).

If my understanding of the food system is correct, then yes, there is, and here's a nice Console skin picture of it, circled in red.

And, you said it yourself, fat makes things taste delicious. Even microknives and poison.

Profile Email Website
Cherriki Ten
 Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 01:38 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

On a final note, am I the only one who LOVES the schoolbus description every time? It's hilarious. I love the outright crassness of the idea that these poor orphaned children would be unceremoniously slaughtered and devoured in your pursuit of MEAT. It is funny with every viewing, and doesn't give me horrible reminders of how worthless I am as a person for really, really liking the taste of food.

I can tell you for a fact, that you are not. I think it''s great!

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.97 seconds
New Topic Post Reply