Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic
 Favorite People Reactions?
 |  Printable Version
Skidge
 Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 01:03 PM UTC (Read 4392 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Okay.

Okay. So I sign in today and there's this thing telling me I'm the bees knees. Now, I knew this already, because bee's knees are awkward things at the best of times, and so am I, but it is always nice to know that I am considered so by other people.

Okay. So there's this thing and it's a Favorite People list, it's a thing in which we like people and they like us back...it's all positive, right? Right? There's no way this can turn into drama, right?

Right?

Okay.

We can get through this, people, just repeat after me:

if I add someone onto my Favorite People list and they do not add me back, it is not Armageddon.
if I add someone onto my Favorite People list and they do not add me back, it is not Armageddon.
for Hedgehog's sake, if I add someone onto my Favorite People list and they do not add me back...it is not...Arma...ged...don...........

*explodes in a shower of sent-out Favorite People requests*

Profile Email
LydiaDefountain
 Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 01:13 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

*Looks from the enquirer to the island and back rather confused* ...Where is this sorcery you speak of?

Profile Email
Skidge
 Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 01:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Look to the right, underneath Game State. It's a friends' list!

Profile Email
LydiaDefountain
 Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 01:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Aha! there.. I kept looking to the left for some reason.. even checked bios and the outpost.. hmm.. well now that I know of it now I can fidget with it and see what I think...

Profile Email
Skidge
 Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 01:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Go to, go to! Fidget! Toy! I am liking mine so far, not gonna lie, because man, there are a LOT of people whose movements on the Island I wouldn't mind being able to stalk...that is, I mean, uh, follow.

Would like a way of seeing the whole friend's list at once, including the people who are not online, just so I can at some point check it against the list of people I want to be on there. To make sure I'm not forgetting anyone.

The only flip side I can see to it, really, is the potential for hhhhhwhoamygod hurt feelings and drama. Acceptance? People need to accept my friendships? But what if they don't accept my friendships? What does that say about me?

I'm not really sure how that could not lead to hurt feelings; already we are making validation jokes in my particular sphere of Island socialization. But then, in my particular sphere of Island socialization, we're not out to make friends so much as blow as much stuff up as possible in as short a period of time as possible, and if friendships are made amongst the smoking rubble, that's just peachy. But really? We're here for the explosions.

Considering that the last thread about social dynamics on the Island ended up being rather revelatory in regards to the various ways in which Islanders judge the importance of social interaction and how it bolsters or shatters a given individual's sense of self-value, d'we really want a thing in which we can actively KNOW, because we've been TOLD, whether or not we have friends?

A'course, people can always just opt not to use it, but I dunno.

Opinions?

Profile Email
Matthew
 Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 01:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'll be totally honest: I don't know why we need this. We already have the contestants list to check if people are online so having a separate little list doesn't have a lot of use beyond "just because lol".

Improbable Island? More like IMPROBABOOK FACE...LAND. Isface Bookrobable.

in your face

Profile Email
Skidge
 Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 01:58 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Whatever, we sent our friend requests to one another at the precise same moment this morning, dude.

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green you wuvs me Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Profile Email
Matthew
 Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 01:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

yeah well

shut up

Profile Email
Trowa
 Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 02:17 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Bah-ha! I can't use it at work! Laughing Out Loud (I presume there's an URL in there somewhere with the word "play" in it, i.e. "lookup players" or something. Same I reason I can't use the Gifting Station from work.) Not a complaint, mind you, just throwing that out there as a forewarning to anyone else who might have proxy issues.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Ada
 Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 02:18 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Skidge

Considering that the last thread about social dynamics on the Island ended up being rather revelatory in regards to the various ways in which Islanders judge the importance of social interaction and how it bolsters or shatters a given individual's sense of self-value, d'we really want a thing in which we can actively KNOW, because we've been TOLD, whether or not we have friends?

A'course, people can always just opt not to use it, but I dunno.

Opinions?

No, we really, really don't.
And I don't think the people who have self-esteem likely to be shattered by not being added as friends are going to be able to keep away from it, either.

All I can see in this is the potential for huge drama. We could already stalk people around the Island using the List of Contestants so I can't really see what the positive end of this feature is. All I see is drama drama drama.

Edit: just to illustrate: I don't want to use this feature (I have gchat and the List, I don't see the point) and already I am thinking "oh god I am going to have to put an OOC note in my bio about how I don't use this feature or everyone is going to think I am an asshole because I haven't added them". Do not want! D:

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 02:29 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

What??

This is half of the old Season One / LotGD "friends" functionality -- the useless half. The stupid half. The half that got the feature turned off. The half that uses a bunch of system resources every single page load. I don't need to see who's online, from the dozens of people I know and chat with on a regular basis, every single second that I am playing the game!

I very emphatically do not want there to be a feature that seems specifically designed to create hurt feelings.

What I would like to have back is the other half -- a Frequent Contacts list for distractions! Without any of the OHMIGAWD Social Drama -- just a convenience-list of people I distract often.

Sorry, folks. It's nice that you like me. I like you too, and I hope you know that without the game having to tell you so. But I am not going to be adding anyone back.

And as a mod, I officially hope this feature goes away.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 02:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

seems specifically designed to create hurt feelings.

This is what I meant to say but didn't say it because I got too distracted with my witty rhetoric.

But yeah, sorry, please take this away.

Profile Email
LydiaDefountain
 Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 03:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Meh I... dunno I don't feel too strongy about this one.. I don't see how it really helps.. when I watch for someone I want to be online to be online I just open up a different browser/tab with the different url or something and watch the login page for he name.. since it isn't hindered by the omgosh there are more then 100 people online!.

Meh I don't see it adding.. I know for one I wouldn't make drama over not being added.. omgosh no one likes me.. sort of thing.. but I'm just one and there are a few attention seekers on the island...

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 03:57 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: LydiaDefountain

...when I watch for someone I want to be online to be online I just open up a different browser/tab with the different url or something and watch the login page for he name.. since it isn't hindered by the omgosh there are more then 100 people online!

Now, that would be a small and very helpful change to the game -- upping the 'Online Contestants List' limit, or getting rid of it altogether.

At busy times we regularly have more than 100 people online -- I don't remember ever seeing it go over 200. A limit of 100 is appropriate for smaller games with fewer players, maybe, as a safety limit against one-off StumbleUpon rushes. (Remember that?) Though... when something like that happens, the Online Contestants List is surely the least of the server's worries! But changing the limit to 200 would mean the list would no longer be incomplete, practically every evening.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 04:54 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

To be honest, I'd like to get rid of the Online Contestant list altogether. It feels very stalky, being able to tell where everyone is, when they were last on, whether they want you to know or not, y'know?

(and as for a Distractions address book - give me a chance, it's only a day old!)

Profile Email Website
Sonny
 Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 05:04 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

This could be:
1. A bad joke?
2. A test to gauge the player reactions?
3. The revenge for complaining about the new banter?
4. Some piece of code accidentally activated again?
5. The next step in making II more like WoW? (grinding for questmonsters, gathering herbs!, chat made of chaos, now friendslist)
6. Increasing the drama factor to appeal to a new player demography?
7. A disturbance in the time continuum?

Oh, and I spit my venom on this new feature! Big Grin

Edit: Oh, yes, the online list is somewhat stalkerish. Removing the last time someone was online would be enough, no?
I like that it gives us an idea of the distribution of players in outposts. Helps deciding where to help out with monsters and such.
Also spares a lot of asking where scenes are happening exactly.
I wouldn't want to see it gone altogether.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 05:32 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

1. The whole, "Ooh, hey! Hey! I like you, do you like me back?" aspect should die a quick, gruesome death. Today.

2. Being able to add names to a checklist of people you distract frequently is an entirely separate feature. It doesn't require mutual consent. It's a nice-to-have convenience to save repeated searches.

3. If we're going to reconsider the Contestants' List, then let's think about what people use it for, and why.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 05:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

To be honest, I'd like to get rid of the Online Contestant list altogether. It feels very stalky, being able to tell where everyone is, when they were last on, whether they want you to know or not, y'know?

(and as for a Distractions address book - give me a chance, it's only a day old!)

I call bullshit on the stalker argument. The Last On is only visible for your own clannies and those that are currently online. The latter is nonsense, the former is vital to clans that kick inactive people to make room for fresh blood. How am I supposed to know which clannies aren't active? I can't go by gut feeling.

As for the argument on being able to tell where people are, I don't see a problem in that. If you want privacy in a place, lock the door. If you want privacy in an outpost, what the heck are you doing in a public area?

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Ada
 Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 05:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

CMJ, people use that list all the time to see where the people they like are, to know where interesting scenes they might want to read are going down, to see "hmm if I start something in this outpost is anyone likely to join in?" I use it daily at the very least. It is a very useful function, and yes - I have had people follow me around with it. But I've never once thought to say "it's too stalky, please get rid of it" because I find it useful all the time. It would be a very significant loss for roleplayers on the Island to get rid of the list.

Profile Email
Skidge
 Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 05:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Maniak

I call bullshit on the stalker argument. The Last On is only visible for your own clannies and those that are currently online. The latter is nonsense, the former is vital to clans that kick inactive people to make room for fresh blood. How am I supposed to know which clannies aren't active? I can't go by gut feeling.

As for the argument on being able to tell where people are, I don't see a problem in that. If you want privacy in a place, lock the door. If you want privacy in an outpost, what the heck are you doing in a public area?

Agreed on all counts. The only way I can find the people whose writing I'm interested in is to already be friends with them? Are you kidding me?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.70 seconds