Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Favorite People v. Contestant List
 |  Printable Version
DaemonThanatos
 Friday, September 21 2012 @ 10:05 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

(internet dick-waving post removed by CMJ)

Profile Email
Matthew
 Friday, September 21 2012 @ 10:08 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Profile Email
DaemonThanatos
 Friday, September 21 2012 @ 10:24 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Profile Email
Waverly
 Friday, September 21 2012 @ 10:28 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Not trying to censor anyone's right to post, but it would be nice if we could maintain some civility on the forums. This is devolving into a firefight.

Profile Email
DaemonThanatos
 Friday, September 21 2012 @ 10:33 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Profile Email
Matthew
 Friday, September 21 2012 @ 10:34 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Profile Email
Mr Geppetto
 Friday, September 21 2012 @ 10:42 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Frown

Uhm, I dunno what to do now. I just posted a.. something, an idea I had, and deemed potentially useful to the development (not that the developer couldn't think of that, but what if they, for some reason, didn't? ), on the topic of favorites list/contestants list (that, latter, it seems some people would be sorry to see go away completely), I say a potential seed of the solution to said problem. But it got, uhm, kind of, well, pushed aside by a slightly off topic discussion.

I'm a ranter, and I'm sorry for that, but please, please take a look at what I wrote (ant tell me if I made an ass of myself or you guys like what you saw). As you can probably guess, I'd be real sorry to see the contestant list go away completely and so I'm eager to try and bring some ideas out there that would allow for keeping it in a slightly altered shape. Thanks.

Profile Email
DaemonThanatos
 Friday, September 21 2012 @ 10:47 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Matthew

And in that vein, I won't respond but to say you're straying into just plain meanness and insults. Not as a mod, but as a fellow human being: stop it.

I have not strayed to meanness and insults. You are, quite clearly, misreading everything I have said. In what way have I insulted you or Iriana? In what way have I been mean?

As Waverly asked, I am CHANGING THE SUBJECT back to the matter at hand: The issue involving the Friend's List being taken away again. Too many people complained about it, without trying it for themselves. Claiming it was too similar to the List of Contestants.

I'll be honest...I found it somewhat useful, but the programming for it was slightly bugged. With more work, it could be more than just useful: It could supply you with quick information as to which of the people you want to, or like to, RP with is online at the time, without having to click several links, and search through a giant list based on short bits of name, or tweaks in spelling and grammar. That, I found, was somewhat annoying when trying to find someone in the List of Contestants. And more often than not, it took far too long looking for just who I wanted, and they usually went offline before I had the chance to even try to talk to them.

Profile Email
Ebenezer
 Friday, September 21 2012 @ 10:50 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Just a reminder to everyone:

The same rules that apply on the Island apply here. If you think someone's being a dick, the best thing to do is not to call them a dick, as that makes you a dick. The best thing to do is put in a Petition for a Moderator.

I expect everyone to remain respectful and polite. If you don't think I'm talking to you, then maybe you ought to re-read what you've written in this thread and consider how another might have interpreted it as disrespectful and/or impolite. The forums are not for arguing. This community is open and fun-loving and friendly and clever. I suggest you all proceed with that in mind.

And if I see people continuing this sort of petty behaviour on the Enquirer, I will not hesitate to mute on the Island, or proceed with any other creative punishment I may happen to come up with.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Friday, September 21 2012 @ 10:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, you've insulted my intelligence, for one.

You may have missed this from my first post in this thread:

Quote by: Iriana

Contrary to what you might think, the idea of a "Favorites list" or "Friends list" has come up several times before, in older threads. But every time it's been met with negativity from nearly everyone.

The "Friends list" has been discussed at least twice before this that I remember, and a third time in the other thread, and this thread makes four. It's not a new idea, and it's not a good idea. I appreciate that you're reminding us of the work CMJ puts into the Island (it is a lot, and it is good work, and we are grateful), but does it do any good to imply that we abuse him on purpose because we're heartless and don't care about his family?

While CMJ does make many little tweaks, we don't complain about every single one. In fact, most go well-received, or at least don't generate any complaints. (Export Commentary restored, puzzle combat update, new Gifting Station, new World Map, Super Chronospheres, collapsible Heads-Up Display sections, just to name the recent ones.) We like CMJ's mountain of little tweaks; we don't go "NO" and flip the table and insist that he take them all back.

In short, we are not refusing to give this a chance because we don't like change. We are refusing to give this a chance because we have discussed this already, intelligently and at length, and decided that it is a bad idea. The complaint wasn't that it's "too similar" to the Contestants list--it was that it's a drama explosion/anxiety attack/general unhappiness waiting to happen.

If any iteration of the Friends list is going to be implemented, I'd suggest that it be more like a shortlist than anything else--no notifications, no nothing. Like the electronic equivalent of writing down people's phone numbers on a post-it. To Geppetto: I did read your post, and your ideas are good. They're similar to what Matthew and I said earlier, so I certainly agree.

Profile Email
DaemonThanatos
 Friday, September 21 2012 @ 11:14 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

You have not seen my point, though, Iriana. Insults to your intelligence were not intended. It did, however, look to me as though you'd simply avoided reading what I had to say, and were simply skimming.

My point here is, people are complaining still. There are a lot of threads here in the forums, if you notice, where people do nothing BUT complain. And I've seen more than enough complaints about the Friend's List, as well as the new Gifting Station. (To be honest, I've had difficulties with it myself. This was before I turned off that annoying Auto Complete feature.)

Your idea for the Friend list is intriguing, (Both Iriana and Geppetto implicated with this) and I would like to see something similar. Something you can click, for example. A collapsible menu on the side that you can click, to check who is on, and who isn't, constrained only to people you've added to said list. It would keep things simple enough, and save on space. And the programming for the link itself would actually be simpler than trying to program the Friend's List in again, with all the added features.

Profile Email
Raine Bofirn
 Friday, September 21 2012 @ 11:24 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Eek! . I, uhm...hey, look! Eben has a kitty with glasses! Engh.

Quote by: Mr+Geppetto

Also, instead of favorites, maybe a sort of groups facility? Meaning... uhm, I dunno at a glance, using some sort of filters? There's for instance the 'online list' in the clanhalls, very useful that, showing online members of your own clan. Thinking back on how contraptions work, maybe a 'show me zombies' kind of thing or, if it doesn't have drama potential ***, a group you specify yourself, of people you often play with? Of course, if it's not a nightmare to code and doesn't put undue strain on server and whatnot.

--------------------

*** I tried to analyse it from that point of view and failed to find it, but I think I'm not the best person to judge, being of a rather pacifist nature myself and not good at all at dealing with large groups of different people. Besides not being able to take anything very seriously, including myself. Big Grin

That'd be an awesome idea! Groups and such are pretty neat. And it wouldn't be any worse than Clans are now, drama-wise. At least, I don't think so. But yeah, that'd be awesome!

And I apologize again, for beating this dead horse, guys... Q.Q

Yeah, there ain't no rest for the wiiicked...

Profile Email
quinn
 Friday, September 21 2012 @ 05:57 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I don't know how many people posting in here were there when CMJ asked everyone in Banter at the time "What I should I do today?". No, I've just skimmed several posts, because I don't want to go up against a single person. I know Daemon was talking about how busy CMJ was and all that.. Well, in this case at least, he asked what a small group of people wanted and then tried to do it. Meaning he was willing to take the time and set aside work on other game features to try something new out. meaning there was really no wasted time, in the end... Kudos for pulling it out so fast too, but there were a lot of little issues with it and most of the people against the Friends List weren't on at that point to give voice. (Personally, I cast a vote for housing stuff, but anyone who knows me knows I like building a little too much...)

The issue being argued here seems a lot less Friends vs Contestant and a lot more "How can we avoid stalking" and "How can we keep drama to a minimum". Now that's just what I'm seeing, so I might be wrong. Again, I just skimmed the points so far.

My own personal opinion is this: The friends feature could be cool if done right, but things are just fine like they are now, really. I don't care if people use the Contestant's List to find me. If I don't want them there, I'll either ask them to leave or boot them from my place. barring that, I'll move and RP somewhere where I an kick them out instead. Win/win situation every time in my eyes. The concerns about butthurt and 'boohoo [blah] didn't add me back' are sadly valid, but I hope we're all adult enough here to get over that in time.

I like Favourite People, though the wording of the distract was a little over the top, if amusing, for a simple add me back request. My real issue with the thing was showing who was offline. Oddly enough, I'd rather stick with a "these friend's are logged in" display, rather than both online and offline. It could get cluttered really damn fast when you get a lot of requests. (And with less than 10 it was cluttered, especially because the offline users all showed as the same name)

I actually like the idea about a slimmed down Contestant List with just name, location and last online. The location could be just Outpost, Map or In a Place... or even the name of the place. Maybe giving the specific room is a bit too much... It's up to CMJ what we do, though if he does do away with the List, I think we really need an alert thing about distracts at the bottom of the page. Since chat jumps down automatically, Distracts are really easy to miss if you aren't expecting them... (but that is a whole other topic, not meant for discussion here)

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, September 21 2012 @ 07:38 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

See, this should be a closed thread. Instead, I'm just gonna erase some of the more dicktacular posts.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Friday, September 21 2012 @ 08:47 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

And for the sake of framing the discussion:

First, no, it's not coming back.
Second, no, it's not because of extra system load - I made this friends list myself, it doesn't generate any extra load.

Profile Email Website
Cherriki Ten
 Friday, September 21 2012 @ 10:07 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

See, this should be a closed thread. Instead, I'm just gonna erase some of the more dicktacular posts.

I am going to start by saying that I agree. Or more specifically, it shouldn't have been started up again, because I think that is incredibly disrespectful to the fact that a previous conversation about this (in which many people vehemently say nay nay) was closed on the topic. It was final. It's not coming back.

I am not saying that people shouldn't voice their opinions, but guys, what is the point of beating a dead horse? The friend's list is not being implemented. How about we get over it and come up with other ideas on what could make the island better?

I understand that people still had many opinions on the subject but how about talking about in Banter or with friends?

Or even better, start a new topic with your ideas on how to keep track of people better. I'll be honest, I didn't like the favourites because it sounded Facebook-y. But again, dead horse, not touching it.

I am not saying that the Island needs a better way to keep track of people because, I'll be honest, I like the contestant's list. If there is a specific person I am looking for, I use the search option.

Now, I am going to go break my fingers so that next time I say I am not getting involved, I actually won't do it. Big Grin

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Friday, September 21 2012 @ 10:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A streamlined contestants list that you could access from anywhere (link in the header?) would be nice. Honestly, I don't see the stalking applications of being able to see where someone is. Then again, I have no experience with stalking, myself. Maybe being able to see exactly which room in which place a player is is a little invasive, I'll admit.

But I do use the contestants list like all the time and I'd be very sad to see it go away completely.

Profile Email
Harris
 Saturday, September 22 2012 @ 12:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

A streamlined contestants list that you could access from anywhere (link in the header?) would be nice. Honestly, I don't see the stalking applications of being able to see where someone is. Then again, I have no experience with stalking, myself. Maybe being able to see exactly which room in which place a player is is a little invasive, I'll admit.

But I do use the contestants list like all the time and I'd be very sad to see it go away completely.

I heartily agree!

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Saturday, September 22 2012 @ 02:35 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just sorta voicing my opinion in addition to others that showing the specific room a player is in might be a tad too intrusive if we're worried about stalking.

Although this would complete destroy the hilarity behind renaming bedrooms "raw sewage pit," "room of pain and suffering," or "this is not the room you're looking for." (Those are free. You're welcome, everyone.)

Also, maybe it would be nice to update the Married Contestants list? It still shows places by ID number. (Or axe it...whatever. "Homygeezers, my fake wife is in a bedroom with my fake enemy!")

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, September 22 2012 @ 08:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well while we're on the subject of what we'd ideally like in something that isn't going to happen anyway, then what I think would be fantastic is if there was a favourites list that checked when somebody was online without their DNI status set, and then woke you up with a nice cup of tea and dulcet tones whispering in your ear "Your friend [INSERT NAME HERE] is currently in Ace High. Would you like to play?"

Mine's milk no sugar.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.67 seconds
New Topic Post Reply