Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Favorite People v. Contestant List
 |  Printable Version
Temper
 Saturday, September 22 2012 @ 08:42 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Siiiiiiiince we're talking about stalking and whatnot and how this relates to features that help us find people-

I don't see that getting rid of the Contestant List will particularly stop stalking, just make it a bit harder. And that's not doing anything but stopping the lazier stalkers.

In fact, in fact, if someone's stalking you at all to the point where you feel uncomfortable being on the Island, or doing things on the Island, then it's really a problem that needs to be addressed directly, whether you do it through a (hopefully polite) Distract, or barring that, ask for a mod's help, rather than by simply trying to hide where you are. If someone wants to stalk you, hiding won't stop them. A worded warning from a mod would go a lot further, I think.

I guess I can see removing the room in a Place people are in, or simply list a Place as Place, instead of giving the Placename- although the reasons this, in my mind, would be necessary are reasons we shouldn't be having to address, although, in a perfect world, we shouldn't have to address creepy stalking issues either.

Sorry if this is garbled or nonsensical, it's just that the Contestant's List is rather close to my heart in terms of usefulness, and I'm rather tired at the moment.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, September 22 2012 @ 09:58 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Is stalking a real issue? As in, is it really happening? The way I've read this thread is that the concept arises as a vague feeling about the Favourites list, and then it seems to grow from there, but with people thinking that others are having this problem. But with nobody saying that they themselves have this problem. If this is the case then we're in danger of making a mountain out of a molehill. That's my reading anyway.

So has anybody actually had this problem? Is it a big problem? Is it big in the sense that it happens all the time, or that on those occasions when it does happen, it's a huge pain in the arse?

If it is happening, then I'm guessing that it's people coming on for the first time who are quite shy and socially awkward. A veteran goes into NewHome on a Welcome Rookie mission. Shy Rookie is being welcomed! They've found a friend! They stick to them like glue for ever after. Does this seem accurate?

If this is a real problem that's occurring, then I think that it should be addressed. So can people let me know their experiences? Leave names out, obviously.

Profile Email
Skidge
 Saturday, September 22 2012 @ 04:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Well while we're on the subject of what we'd ideally like in something that isn't going to happen anyway, then what I think would be fantastic is if there was a favourites list that checked when somebody was online without their DNI status set, and then woke you up with a nice cup of tea and dulcet tones whispering in your ear "Your friend [INSERT NAME HERE] is currently in Ace High. Would you like to play?"

Mine's milk no sugar.

I'd never sleep, the bedroom would become an OCEAN OF TEA and my husband, bless his put-upon sighing soul, would divorce me after a week.

ETA: Re. stalking, the closest I've ever come has been a few people over the years who've attached to my character and followed them about from place to place interrupting plotscene, which is far less of a problem for me than it might be for others (I dig people!). Annoying, sometimes, if I were doing something major like HOSHIT SOMEONE'S DEAD and all of a sudden Skidge'sNewBestFriend poked their head in and said, hi guys! How's it hanging! but that has happened like...three times? In what, four years? And they've always been Really Cool about letting me delete those lines after I've explained what's going on and promised them interaction at some point in the near future. So I can't even call them stalkers so much as 'friendly awesome people who want to be friendly and awesome and chose a really bad time to do so'.

As for random people following me from Outpost to Outpost...more power to them. COME PLAY WITH MEEEEE IF I AM IN AN OUTPOST IT IS BECAUSE I WANT YOU TO COME OUT AND BLOW THINGS UUUUUUP and if I run away, don't worry! I still love you! It's just probably someone just died or something.

Profile Email
Skidge
 Saturday, September 22 2012 @ 04:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Addendum: Sometimes I do scenes in Outposts that I would prefer not be interrupted. But tough titties to me, IMHO, I'm in a public friggin' place and to expect people to Not Interact Just Because would be ridiculous.

Profile Email
Omega
 Saturday, September 22 2012 @ 06:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Assuming people actually respect that, use the /DNI button if you do not want to be interrupted!

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, September 22 2012 @ 07:37 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Omega

Assuming people actually respect that, use the /DNI button if you do not want to be interrupted!

A caveat: When people do interrupt a /DNI, chances are they haven't even realized yet that such a thing exists. (Or they have, they know what it is, but it didn't register with them that it was on.)

Nice when it works -- but if it doesn't, don't sweat it; they aren't being purposely disrespectful.

Profile Email
Skidge
 Saturday, September 22 2012 @ 09:03 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

A caveat: When people do interrupt a /DNI, chances are they haven't even realized yet that such a thing exists. (Or they have, they know what it is, but it didn't register with them that it was on.)

Nice when it works -- but if it doesn't, don't sweat it; they aren't being purposely disrespectful.

...considering that I didn't know about it?

(uhh, sorry if I've ever interrupted a whosamawhatsitything...)

Profile Email
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Sunday, September 23 2012 @ 02:43 AM UTC  

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Not really on the subject of anything here, but I've often wished that there was some indication of what So-And-So's weird purple indicator means, because, um, well, there's no indication of what So-And-So's weird purple indicator means. A color key of some kind in the Help section would be alright, but a mouseover would be even better. I think the only people who know about the /DNI and /BRB and /TTM colors are people who were around when commentary was full of images, or people who have played with those statuses long enough to recognize the colors off-hand.

I'd wager most of the current players have no clue, without testing the commands themselves, what any of those color indicators are trying to indicate.

/offtopic

Shiloh
 Sunday, September 23 2012 @ 08:16 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I'd wager most of the current players have no clue, without testing the commands themselves, what any of those color indicators are trying to indicate.

offtopic

Yuuuuup. >_> I've actually been around a while, but only recently came back after a long hiatus, and this DNI thing is new and I have no idea that the tiny little purple slivers meant 'don't interrupt please'. That's good to know, but I'd have never figured it out without 1) thinking to test it for myself, or 2) reading Escemfer's post, which helpfully informed me of the purple bars.

/offtopic

Witch Doctor Makiwa leans over and taps the duck on the beak, "This round's on you! Should we put it on your bill?"

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Sunday, September 23 2012 @ 03:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Shiloh

Yuuuuup. >_> I've actually been around a while, but only recently came back after a long hiatus, and this DNI thing is new and I have no idea that the tiny little purple slivers meant 'don't interrupt please'. That's good to know, but I'd have never figured it out without 1) thinking to test it for myself, or 2) reading Escemfer's post, which helpfully informed me of the purple bars.

Er... proving the point further, you've gotten it slightly off; the purple bar means Talk To Me, and the blue bar means Do Not Interrupt.

Profile Email Website
Shiloh
 Sunday, September 23 2012 @ 07:41 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

the purple bar means Talk To Me, and the blue bar means Do Not Interrupt.

....PROVING THE POINT EVEN FURTHER yes indeed.

Thank you for clarifying that. *hem* I'm going to exit stage left now.

Witch Doctor Makiwa leans over and taps the duck on the beak, "This round's on you! Should we put it on your bill?"

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.89 seconds
New Topic Post Reply