Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 It's that time again - donation ideas thread.
 |  Printable Version
rbead
 Wednesday, September 26 2012 @ 09:07 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Also also, (and sorry for triple post but Edit times out) I made a thread for merch/Island-based product ideas, over in OOC. Just saying.

(it also includes a fancy schmancy idea about licensing that would help ensure CMJ profits from their sales)

Profile Email Website
marlysalt
 Wednesday, September 26 2012 @ 09:21 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

(Irony, that my first post is in hopes to save this place!)

I have no idea how the thing works, but here.

http://www.kickstarter.com/

People could post some of their custom art and some of those stuffed grenades or maybe even some in-game rewards (supporter points, cookies and lodge items, or maybe even the chance to help submit a new game function on two? Personally, eating in places for sp sounds interesting...). It might help in the short term, and the items could be in the swag store afterwords! ^.^'' in retrospect, maybe this /isnt/ needed to be here so much if it could be done from the II site itself, but hey, its a thought.

Profile Email
Black jacques
 Wednesday, September 26 2012 @ 09:23 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

...custom tattoos?

also I will pay for the ability to tell newbies with powers, Homestuck (whatever that is) fan fiction writers, and illiterates that I hate their faces and they should die, without me being reprimanded.

Seriously tho the big reason I play 90% less than I used to (and thus contribute much less) is the sliding quality of the writing. I remember when I first joined, years ago, CMJ had a notice up asking players to get their friends to play, saying, "I could get thousands to join, easy. But I don't want them. I want another thousand just like you." That's what attracted me that very day, and made me stay so long. The feeling that this game was a wink and a nod to us: the well-read, those who grew up teaching themselves how to spin a story, the nerdy, those who loved the Hitchhiker series and Princess Bride. There was a canon story and a way to start, and you started naked and alone and afraid, and it was good, because you learned the ropes by doing.

Now... People join and they're battlebots and dragons and winged cats who can do magic. But even that would be okay, if they could write passably.

I just tire so quickly of the poorly-written nonsense that dominates a lot of Island chat. I know that makes me a curmudgeon and an asshole. I'm sorry. I just don't want to read the RP of someone who doesn't know the difference between you're and your or their and they're.

When I joined, there was very little help or explanation of the Island's humor. We were expected to explore it, to get a feel for it, to understand intuitively that this was an adventure, to be discovered. Now it's a different kind of player. It seems like they have no imagination and are too fearful to take a step without being spoon-fed every single aspect of the story: "and what happens when i get to lvl 4 lol" "how you kill a Titan? lol" "what is in the Abandoned Factory?" "should i eat the food lol?" Why don't they just try out and see, like we old-timers did?

Dying in Stonehenge used to be a lesson. Now players get told every single outcome and the probability of each, and avoid it, and go on playing winged cat vampires who can control the weather.

That's my rant, and I'm an asshole, but that's the way I feel. That's why I've played less and less for quite some time now. I admire CMJ enormously and love supporting this crazy venture of his, but I guess I don't feel like I'm among my people any more. The people who get the joke. You know?

Profile Email
Edith
 Wednesday, September 26 2012 @ 11:00 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Black+jacques

...custom tattoos?

also I will pay for the ability to tell newbies with powers, Homestuck (whatever that is) fan fiction writers, and illiterates that I hate their faces and they should die, without me being reprimanded.

Seriously tho the big reason I play 90% less than I used to (and thus contribute much less) is the sliding quality of the writing. I remember when I first joined, years ago, CMJ had a notice up asking players to get their friends to play, saying, "I could get thousands to join, easy. But I don't want them. I want another thousand just like you." That's what attracted me that very day, and made me stay so long. The feeling that this game was a wink and a nod to us: the well-read, those who grew up teaching themselves how to spin a story, the nerdy, those who loved the Hitchhiker series and Princess Bride. There was a canon story and a way to start, and you started naked and alone and afraid, and it was good, because you learned the ropes by doing.

Now... People join and they're battlebots and dragons and winged cats who can do magic. But even that would be okay, if they could write passably.

I just tire so quickly of the poorly-written nonsense that dominates a lot of Island chat. I know that makes me a curmudgeon and an asshole. I'm sorry. I just don't want to read the RP of someone who doesn't know the difference between you're and your or their and they're.

When I joined, there was very little help or explanation of the Island's humor. We were expected to explore it, to get a feel for it, to understand intuitively that this was an adventure, to be discovered. Now it's a different kind of player. It seems like they have no imagination and are too fearful to take a step without being spoon-fed every single aspect of the story: "and what happens when i get to lvl 4 lol" "how you kill a Titan? lol" "what is in the Abandoned Factory?" "should i eat the food lol?" Why don't they just try out and see, like we old-timers did?

Dying in Stonehenge used to be a lesson. Now players get told every single outcome and the probability of each, and avoid it, and go on playing winged cat vampires who can control the weather.

That's my rant, and I'm an asshole, but that's the way I feel. That's why I've played less and less for quite some time now. I admire CMJ enormously and love supporting this crazy venture of his, but I guess I don't feel like I'm among my people any more. The people who get the joke. You know?

This. Oh my god, this.

Profile Email
marlysalt
 Wednesday, September 26 2012 @ 11:41 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Paying for anon distractions like with quills and the service board anounecements?

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 12:44 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

No. Big Grin

Seriously tho the big reason I play 90% less than I used to (and thus contribute much less) is the sliding quality of the writing.

There is some amazing writing happening on the Island right now.

True, it's harder to find. This is partly because there are many more players than there were when you joined, and partly because there are many, many more places for them to write their stories.

The Island has always had its share of poor writers. You are forgetting! I'd remind you, but I'd have to name names... and some of those players are still here -- except that, now, they are very good writers. That happens a lot. When people stay, they write, they write more, then they write some more, and, big surprise! they get better at it.

When I joined, there was very little help or explanation of the Island's humor. We were expected to explore it, to get a feel for it, to understand intuitively that this was an adventure, to be discovered. Now it's a different kind of player. It seems like they have no imagination and are too fearful to take a step without being spoon-fed every single aspect of the story.
But this isn't at all the fault of the new players! It comes from veteran players enjoying their status as experts -- perhaps a little too much. When information is offered so generously, in a spirit of wanting to help... that sets the tone. People are bound to feel that it would be folly not to ask for advice.

I am sorry to hear that you are enjoying the game less. I have always liked your cheerfully rude curmudgeon of a character, and probably I should have said so long ago, but, well... better late than never!

Profile Email
Lain
 Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 01:42 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I love the idea of the journal and the official mementos. I'd buy.

Consumable goods seem like they'd generate more in the long run. Two 100-packs of cookies is more than the Creator Bundle was; I've easily bought six of those cookie packs by now. The brownies...yes. And maybe something else that increases the chance of improbable events (cake?) like the Tattoo Mutant or decreases the number of hunts before finding your Dan Quest monster. And something else entirely that increases the odds of cigs. And while we're at it, something consumable that also gives favor for when I failboat once too often on a really good Joker day.

And a titan-generator. Yes--all of that. And I would throw pie in everyone's faces if I could. And buy stilts to build on the water.

And...I know the trains were a pain, but I'd use SP to buy passes if I had to (or buy a Joker to collect cards for first class passes). I suppose, barring the return of trains, that I'd use Pinpoint Teleporters, certainly.

Profile Email
Harris
 Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 02:24 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Quote by: Harris

Unless you just meant that we can't discuss player-run projects in the forum? In which case, okay, fair. Just say the word and it shall be taken off-site.

Better to do the organizing and asking for volunteers behind the scenes, Harris. That's what gmail is for. Doing it in public puts people on the spot, which is... unpleasant to be subjected to, unpleasant to witness, and is pretty much the exact opposite of what you mean to do.

I've removed that other thread. Let's get back to brainstorming ideas!

Right. Message received loud and clear.

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Harris
 Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 02:26 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Skidge

Actually, I said I might, and that was mostly because I had been called out. By name. And now I have apparently committed. Which I actually hadn't.

Ain't nothing wrong with enthusiasm, Harris-my-boy, but perhaps you should consider toning it down a bit? If only because I'm unemployed, and broker than CMJ by a long shot, and yeah I got time on my hands but not so much that I'm willing to be strongarmed. I'm sure that wasn't what you were trying to do, but that's still how I'm feeling.

It is Not A Good Feeling. Frown

Ah. I apologize. I didn't see how my initial response to Zefrieus contained anything but asking, and I thought by the way you wrote your reply, you were jocularly saying 'yes', but only if someone else were involved. Last thing I want to do is hurt you.

Profile Email Website
Black jacques
 Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 03:04 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Count+SessineThere is some amazing writing happening on the Island right now.

True, it's harder to find. This is partly because there are many more players than there were when you joined, and partly because there are many, many more places for them to write their stories.

You're right, you're right. I should seek it out instead of being a curmudgeon.

The Island has always had its share of poor writers. You are forgetting! I'd remind you, but I'd have to name names... and some of those players are still here -- except that, now, they are very good writers.

Me, right? It's me? I guess that the answer is me.

Profile Email
Mogar
 Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 03:39 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Better compass travel! I love sitting back and reading places, just using my mouse for traveling using the compass. Since it's a convenience feature, I'd pay money to move the compass to a stable position so it won't jolt around when I travel to new squares on the map.

Does anyone else use the compass? Or know that clicking its points moves you? That's the trouble. But then, the "Stabilize Compass" HL IItem might let people know the function exists, and that now you can make it work better.

Profile Email
lowkey
 Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 04:31 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: rbead

Another thing, also. How chill would folks be (or how unhappy) with me- or others, this is an IDEA- advertising the Island on, say, forums, or even in the real world?

I had a vision of a tent at my uni's club fair with people dressed as Jokers offering cake. It was glorious.

Rather looking forward to seeing a response to this...since I had been planning to advertise the Island in a few places this weekend.

Much as I'm enjoying the many ideas being generated (and will be investing in at least some)...I do think that the bestest ever way to improve revenue long term and sustainably is to add members. If we players can help do so without CMJ having to shell out extra ad dollars, seems like a win all around.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 04:44 AM UTC  

Quote by: lowkey

Another thing, also. How chill would folks be (or how unhappy) with me- or others, this is an IDEA- advertising the Island on, say, forums, or even in the real world?

I had a vision of a tent at my uni's club fair with people dressed as Jokers offering cake. It was glorious.

Rather looking forward to seeing a response to this...since I had been planning to advertise the Island in a few places this weekend.

Much as I'm enjoying the many ideas being generated (and will be investing in at least some)...I do think that the bestest ever way to improve revenue long term and sustainably is to add members. If we players can help do so without CMJ having to shell out extra ad dollars, seems like a win all around.

I think this is definitely a good idea. CMJ's said that the Island doesn't get much word-of-mouth advertising at all, and word of mouth is free. Mr. Green (A Joker Cake stand also sounds like a really good time.) If you're spreading the word on other sites or forums, though, try to keep in mind the best target-groups: writing groups and roleplaying groups are good targets, since II is largely a writing-based community, whereas 4chan would be a bad target, since we don't want to turn II into a trolling ground. Also, this probably goes without saying, but be careful not to advertise in the comments on webcomics or in any areas of websites that you don't know are alright with advertising other sites. The best way to introduce II to a discussion forum, I think, would be to start a thread talking about why it's fun for you and inviting others to have fun with you, as opposed to saying "Join II if you like furries and poisoned cake! Free To Play, My Lord!"

LydiaDefountain
 Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 04:56 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Escemfer

Quote by: lowkey

I think this is definitely a good idea. CMJ's said that the Island doesn't get much word-of-mouth advertising at all, and word of mouth is free. Mr. Green (A Joker Cake stand also sounds like a really good time.) If you're spreading the word on other sites or forums, though, try to keep in mind the best target-groups: writing groups and roleplaying groups are good targets, since II is largely a writing-based community, whereas 4chan would be a bad target, since we don't want to turn II into a trolling ground. Also, this probably goes without saying, but be careful not to advertise in the comments on webcomics or in any areas of websites that you don't know are alright with advertising other sites. The best way to introduce II to a discussion forum, I think, would be to start a thread talking about why it's fun for you and inviting others to have fun with you, as opposed to saying "Join II if you like furries and poisoned cake! Free To Play, My Lord!"

Ya as mentioned by Jacques.. there is a definite care placed in advertizing for the island really. We don't want big public member fishing adventures to just bring in a lot of Drama.

A rl advertizing to people you think are not likely to be online dicks.. and you can have a lot of fun doing it even if the people there wouldn't get the in-jokes.. I think it would be cool and awsome really.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 09:57 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hang on a second, I love the Joker tent idea. A lot. I know I'd hate doing it if I were alone, socially awkward tadpole that I am, but aren't there a few places where a handful of Islanders live close to each other? I don't know, I can see it working out really well at a club fair at a university like Quinn said. I would not be totally averse to dressing up as a Joker with a bunch of other Islanders and handing out cake.

I know the idea of bottle-able pub drinks has been tossed around about a million times, and the rebuttal that it would be insanely overpowered has been tossed right back about a million times. But how about a hip flask or something, holding maybe five extra rounds of any one drink? You have to fill it up from the outpost where the pub is, to limit it a bit. I... er, this worked out better in my head. But there must be some way of adapting this so that it's a) a Lodge item that people would buy and b) not overpowered. I'd certainly spend SP on anything that would make the drinks go further.

Also, wanted to voice support for the race-change thing someone brought up earlier. I broke my string of Human runs and now I'm regretting it--I'm so busy now that I have no time to waffle about with these low-stam/low-attack Joker days. I feel like I've been trapped as a Joker for ages. I'd pay a buck or two to switch to Human and finish this DK--wait a second. Is there potential for cheatery here? I'm not sure. Well, maybe paying to restart a DK, get a chance to pick another race--I'd even do that.

Alternately, a token to flip for Jokers to re-roll their stats for the day. A once-a-gameday thing, and you can pick certain sections to re-roll--maybe costing more if you want to re-roll more. If your att, def, travel costs, and hunting costs suck, but your fighting cost is excellent, you can re-roll four sections. BOY would I love that actually.

A super secret Lodge-only mount? It could give a slightly bigger buff than the ordinary ones. I don't know if people would complain about that. Heck, I'd pay for a third installment of Zombie Donkey. I do so love the Zombie Donkey.

(While we're on the topic of money, I'd probably give a hundred bucks right now to anyone who delivered me a hot meal. Good lord I'm starving.)

(Would it be bad to order myself a whole pizza at two-thirty in the morning? Probably yes.)

If someone wrote a legitimately good song about something on the Island and recorded it properly, all professional-like, I'm sure it could be sold. I'd buy it for 99c just because. And if they made it unintelligible enough to outside people that it could potentially be just a very weird but very good song, we could even convince normal people to listen to it. Or something. Er, maybe not this one.

Buying Favor with SP? Has that been mentioned? I'm sure it has. Sorry, I feel like I must be just repeating things that other people have already said. I don't mean to. But seriously, buying Favor with SP.

I keep mentioning the Trains, but I really did love them. I know they've been sort of permanently tabled, but--if there's anything I'd pay to have, it would be the Trains, in all their antique glory. I've played wonderful scenes in the train stations, and on the trains themselves. It was equal parts the atmosphere that Sessine and everyone else created around them and the convenience of the transportation, but I thought they were magnificent. I'd pay to have it rebooted, and I'd pay for passes to use it.

Moving Places? Like... actual ambulatory Places. That's come up before, several times. We decided it was a bad idea, but I forget why. Is there a way to make that non-game-breaking and also profitable? Maybe you can only move the thing one square per realday.

I know the Lodge tries to stay away from items that make the game itself easier, but I've always felt that the crate sniffers were a bit useless--what about something that widens the radius of the sniffers? 3 squares is a bit small. On a Bastard run, I'd appreciate the ability to make a little more req early on. Does this contradict the purpose of the Lodge bags of req? Having items from the crates early on is nice too.

OH. Paying to knock off extra Gauntlet HP has that come up so far. Because I have Gauntlet HP that I have started to hate. Not nearly as much as some people hate theirs, I'm guessing.

okay sorry for repeating other people's ideas done vomiting words going now

(boy do I wish I were nearly as rich as all my expressed desires and willingness to pay for them makes me sound)

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 03:17 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Unless you just meant that we can't discuss player-run projects in the forum? In which case, okay, fair. Just say the word and it shall be taken off-site.

Better to do the organizing and asking for volunteers behind the scenes, Harris. That's what gmail is for. Doing it in public puts people on the spot, which is... unpleasant to be subjected to, unpleasant to witness, and is pretty much the exact opposite of what you mean to do.

I've removed that other thread. Let's get back to brainstorming ideas!

Right. Message received loud and clear.

I... okay. *clears throat* Yes. I owe you an apology, Harris. I overreacted. Enthusiasm is not grounds for thread deletion.

Profile Email
Harris
 Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 03:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Thank you. I appreciate that.

As for topic... I think Jacques has a splendid idea in the tattoos; he's not got much response here, but look at the
intensely collector-y mentality that online gamers in particular have. I'm prophesying gold here.

For the same reasons, I have to quite agree with you on the "limited time Mementos". Those sound splendid

Profile Email Website
Mercury
 Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 05:07 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

A lot of stuff I say a lot being said

You. I love you in that warm and fuzzy platonic way.

Profile Email
Xorbius
 Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 05:13 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I have been trying to think of things that will keep people buying supporter points. There's a lot of great Hunter's lodge ideas and items, but you'd buy one.

The stop a breach idea, like it, but how about some sort of breach booster. Rather than someone just fixing it, how about a lodge item (hero's brew? Turret pass ?) that lasts one gameday, works in breaches and in game terms boosts attack and defense or somesuch. Or even offers imunity for those that just need to nip in briefly for a specific reason.

The Improbable Lottery - like Dan's lottery(ish). You buy a ticket with real money (say a dollar) and at the end of the day (week?) one lucky random winner wins SPs to the tune of 50% of the total bought. As long as more than 2 are bought, the prize is a worthwhile gamble, and CMJ is always up on the deal.

Town Mayor - remember way back when the council offices were totally corrupt ? The clan that upped the most req controlled that settlement's and it's goodies ? Such nefarious plans and strategems - happy days.
How about the player who coughs up the most SP in any particular settlement becomes Mayor of said town ? Right up until someone trumps his/her contribution.
There should be benefits, something like massive discount at Sheila's, a badge (Right Honourable Mayor of Squathole badge, anyone ?) even an 'Ex Mayor of (insert settlement name)' badge once deposed, for example. And to stop anyone from buying a permanent position, a maximum term is of a finite duration.
Now this has the potential for 'voting' by donating SP to Mayoral candidates. Backstabbing ! Corruption ! LOTS OF FLOWING SP !

Hopefully there's something here that someone can run with/improve on

Profile Email
Cherriki Ten
 Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 05:22 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Off Topic

The Island has always had its share of poor writers. You are forgetting! I'd remind you, but I'd have to name names... and some of those players are still here -- except that, now, they are very good writers.

Me, right? It's me? I guess that the answer is me.

Oh! Oh! Oh! **waves hand** I am one of those persons, right? Right?

In all honesty, I find myself looking at some of the roleplay sometimes and facepalming and going "Why is this happening right now?" However, sometimes I take a step back and say "You know what? I was pretty terrible too" (Was going to link one of said terrible scenes, but I was reading it and uh, no. Just, no.)

/Off Topic

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.61 seconds
New Topic Post Reply