Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 It's that time again - donation ideas thread.
 |  Printable Version
Harris
 Saturday, September 29 2012 @ 10:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

I really like Marly's idea, and would probably use special comments a lot more often if they didn't feel like such a Precious Resource.

Should also come with a medal, or something.

Because medals are awesome, and get certain people me to buy things even if they don't need them builder's box.

I third Marly, and say that Matt raises *another* good point: You're dealing with the XBOX generation heyar, CMJ- is attaching a medal to any or all of (upcoming) higher cost Items reasonably do-able?

I'm betting players'd love it, to the point of sales boosting. Smile

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Cherriki Ten
 Sunday, September 30 2012 @ 02:09 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Marly

So here's my idea for a limited-run item, like the Emily bundle and all that. It'd be meant to act like a short-term cash flow that would keep on giving later on.

It's a pen. It acts like a quill in that it lets you write out Special Comments. It's one of those fancy ones that need refills (quills, really) but because you have the pen already, it's a bit cheaper to get more Special Comments. It's a fancy pen, the sort that comes in a box, with a ribbon and a little certificate and says they've been making them since before time existed.

I'd use Specials more often with something like this because... hey, Discount! It's like when you have one of those mugs where they give you free coffee for it, and so suddenly you're there at the store every day getting coffee, except now you're also getting a muffin to go with your daily free coffee. Suddenly you are fat and happy and know a lot about muffins.

...actually, can I just have a muffin?

^ This please. Pleaseohpleaseohplease.

"Optimist: Person who travels on nothing from nowhere to happiness." -Mark Twain.

Profile Email
Kes
 Sunday, September 30 2012 @ 06:34 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Throwing in my few bits (cents? pence?) in support of Marly's fancy quill pen and some kind of antigauntlet - maybe a place you have to buy membership to, in supporter points, and not just an out-of-character fix?

And, seriously, custom tattoos. Perhaps tattoo removal, too. Some of us went a bit cig-mad as soon as we could and only regretted it later - the ability to edit existing tattoos, or remove and replace, would be wonderful. And I would have so much fun figuring out the best combination of colours for them.

I'd suggest custom jewellery as well, but that feels like it's edging into memento territory. Which reminds me-

Quote by: lowkey

Limited-edition mementoes

I would hoard them, roleplay them, write them into Place decorations and generally just love them forever. This would be wonderful.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Sunday, September 30 2012 @ 11:07 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Harris

You're dealing with the XBOX generation

Hey man, I don't even own any consoles.

I just like medals.

And, honestly, gonna echo that I don't think an antigauntlet should be a supporter-only option. That seems more well-suited to being in the game as a regular feature.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Sunday, September 30 2012 @ 11:47 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I haven't got any more ideas, yet, but I've started trying to make an organised-by-type list of all of these. And of all the ideas in all the other threads all over the forum. It might be a little easier to browse - maybe it could even be useful for having a vote, somehow, on what things enough people would pay for that it'd be worth CMJ's time in making them? I'm imagining an MOTD of enormousness, with a massive list of things with "tick the boxes if you would actually pay SP for these!". Or maybe it'll only be useful for keeping me busy for a little while.

Link to spreadsheet (because I love spreadsheets)

Categories so far:

• Character Customisation / RP items
  • Island-wide changes (includes Altruism items)
  • Gameplay
  • Places
  • Stories
  • Meta
  • Other

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
baluka
 Monday, October 01 2012 @ 10:51 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

The only thing I can think of is weapons or armor slowly changing and getting better. People have their own stats so why not weapons and armor having their own as well? The more times we do something, the more we get better at it. Maybe the weapon gets stronger the more you use it instead of instantly chucking for the biggest and best. Now I'm probably not explaining this very well. I just like the idea of an evolving weapon. I'm sure the island would have weird effects on the things we use as well as everything around us.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Monday, October 01 2012 @ 07:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh, and just gonna toss in my support for a (perhaps one time) paid name/account changer. Seems a lot of people want that option, and, suitably expensive, it could be a good money maker.

Profile Email
Sonny
 Monday, October 01 2012 @ 08:24 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I would like to propose a physical copy of the upcoming quest-journal, a small booklet spruced up with illustrations (such as the Island-logo, stranger-pic, the poster, perhaps even an exclusive doodle of the Watcher by CMJ himself, etc) that captures the feel of the Island in the way the Zap-grenade poster does.
The booklet itself would probably be cheap to make and someone experienced could volunteer for the layout.
To avoid high shipping costs, trusted volunteers could print it in copy-shops and ship from the US, Europe, and other regions if necessary.
The same applies to the Watcher backstories, and this booklet-series can be expanded when new material is available.

In theory it shouldn't require too much of CMJ's time, would be affordable, would be something neat to collect, would be a piece of Island history to hold in your hands and nibble on the edges, and perhaps contain super exclusive material.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Monday, October 01 2012 @ 08:52 PM UTC  

Quote by: Sonny

I would like to propose a physical copy of the upcoming quest-journal

Okay, that would be really really awesome. Negatives would be the time and energy required to format quest text and decide a format for the booklet, coming up with and selecting any art to put in the book, and finding the most efficient way to print it. I know there are some print-on-demand places online, and I know that one can mass-order prints of books/booklets, and I know that both forms of publishing have their pros and cons for cost to the creator and worldwide distribution. I don't really know much about self-publishing, but I've noticed that people I've seen around the internet have to expend a lot of time and energy getting it together.

Positives would be that it would be really awesome, and I'm pretty sure people would buy it. (Or at least, I sure as hell would.)

Honestly, it seems like producing such a booklet would require from CMJ more time/energy/expense than it'd be worth at this point in time... but maybe it would become a more viable suggestion in the future. 'Cause man, would I love this.

Hairy Mary
 Monday, October 01 2012 @ 10:00 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Escemfer

Quote by: Wongo+the+Sane

A way to Failboat visitors who make incorrect choices or do stupid things like swimming into an entirely submerged geometrically impossible maze. Hell, if I could do this I'd probably be tempted to flesh out the maze more too, and use Memories and stuff.

I think this idea sounds cool at first glance, but wouldn't be the wisest? Surprise Failboating visitors to your Place would be the fastest way to piss people off and make them avoid your Place. Nobody likes being failed by Stonehenge/walking the ledge/taking the ferry/drinking magic water, even though that's an expected outcome of a) being in the Jungle and b) trying the random chance events. I can only imagine people would like it even less from somewhere they don't expect it, like a Place.

You can program your own separate version of something like this in already, using memories for hp, stam, skill with weapon etc. etc. And have your own version of the failboat to boot. Not something that I've tried myself, but it shouldn't be too difficult I would have thought. It's the balancing that would be the hard part, not the programming.

Profile Email
LydiaDefountain
 Monday, October 01 2012 @ 10:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Quote by: Escemfer

Quote by: Wongo+the+Sane

A way to Failboat visitors who make incorrect choices or do stupid things like swimming into an entirely submerged geometrically impossible maze. Hell, if I could do this I'd probably be tempted to flesh out the maze more too, and use Memories and stuff.

I think this idea sounds cool at first glance, but wouldn't be the wisest? Surprise Failboating visitors to your Place would be the fastest way to piss people off and make them avoid your Place. Nobody likes being failed by Stonehenge/walking the ledge/taking the ferry/drinking magic water, even though that's an expected outcome of a) being in the Jungle and b) trying the random chance events. I can only imagine people would like it even less from somewhere they don't expect it, like a Place.

You can program your own separate version of something like this in already, using memories for hp, stam, skill with weapon etc. etc. And have your own version of the failboat to boot. Not something that I've tried myself, but it shouldn't be too difficult I would have thought. It's the balancing that would be the hard part, not the programming.

That and the fact that if you use a roll to thought system the numbers have to be negative to deduct from the hp values and if you want to display those values it is bothersome..

As such paying for something like a mirror contraption that turns a thought or memory value negative or positive depending would be very cool.

Profile Email
marlysalt
 Wednesday, October 03 2012 @ 03:13 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

maybe using different types of quills or colored quills to indicate special, underline, bold, italics text, maybe stack-able and have a word number for quill so that if you only want to underline one word, or all three on one (could be another quill too) then you get a couple of different words per line (or two for special ones?). [Three in one would be most expensive I think.

Profile Email
marlysalt
 Wednesday, October 03 2012 @ 04:52 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Oh! and another item that just drops crates on the map, and maybe even a lion statuette that can go in your home or something or other.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Wednesday, October 03 2012 @ 10:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: marlysalt

maybe using different types of quills or colored quills to indicate special, underline, bold, italics text, maybe stack-able and have a word number for quill so that if you only want to underline one word, or all three on one (could be another quill too) then you get a couple of different words per line (or two for special ones?). [Three in one would be most expensive I think.

I can see why people like this idea, but I think it might negatively affect the... immersion, I guess? of the writing on the Island. I really like that actions are done in story form; it looks nice, and it gives you more of a sense that you are really on this Island. Underlines and bold and things throw it off a little (or a lot, depending on how liberally it's used).

Sorry, I think someone said not to post in this thread to disagree with people's suggestions unless I have a suggestion myself too, but, um. How about--uh--

Well, y'know, there could just be bigger containers for supporters. A bigger backpack, bandolier, or pan. I don't know if that would imbalance the game, or if people would find that useful.

Medpacks that heal a set percentage of your HP, not a flat 20 or 60 points! Boy, I would buy those.

Profile Email
Omega
 Thursday, October 04 2012 @ 12:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Iriana

Medpacks that heal a set percentage of your HP, not a flat 20 or 60 points! Boy, I would buy those.

Those already exist in some form! Get a Health Insurance Certificate for five dollars, and all your healing needs inside outposts are met for the next week.

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Thursday, October 04 2012 @ 04:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Again: that is how they should work by default.

Same with robot cooldown.

Bug fixes/rebalance should not cost SP.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Thursday, October 04 2012 @ 08:36 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Omega

Those already exist in some form! Get a Health Insurance Certificate for five dollars, and all your healing needs inside outposts are met for the next week.

But the thing about medpacks is that they're portable, for when you get jumped by that level 16 monster on your way to AceHigh and can't afford to get Failboated.
Quote by: Matthew

Again: that is how they should work by default.

Same with robot cooldown.

Bug fixes/rebalance should not cost SP.

Actually... Matthew is right. I take that back. I agree that medpacks should be rejiggered; they're not exactly fair as they are.

Profile Email
Dippy
 Thursday, October 04 2012 @ 11:02 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I like the idea of a traveling wormhole. A link between two grid squares that allows players the choice of traveling in one of the compass directions or braving the unknown and entering the wormhole which then deposits them at the opposing connected grid square. A lodge item would allow a player to grab onto one end of the wormhole and change its location. Different items could allow varying levels of precision when moving the portal. For example 100 supporter points lets one dictate that one end of the wormhole will appear in a 4 square radius, while 1000 supporter points gives precise square accuracy.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, October 04 2012 @ 11:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A contrivance which allows you to put an input number box in a Place. I can think of uses for that.

Profile Email
Wongo the Sane
 Sunday, October 07 2012 @ 12:23 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Don't think it's been said yet (at least, I couldn't find it on Buddlia's Spreadsheet), a way to change your implant would be nice. There's been a couple of times when I've really wanted to do this.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.59 seconds
New Topic Post Reply