Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Canon, and Things CMJ Wrote Down
 |  Printable Version
Docenspiel
 Sunday, June 02 2013 @ 03:03 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I was talking with Rosemoo the other day about the canon page and mentioned making another page for the player-made things that've become widely accepted, such as typo gremlins, the fountains in Newhome and Central and the bar in the Common Grounds. But I've no idea what it'd be called. "Fanon" leaves a bad taste in the mouth and Stuff That Isn't Necessarily True But We Like It and You Might Too is too much of a mouthful. So, what if, instead, we split the Canon page, CMJ's stuff on top and beneath it the player ideas that just kind of stuck?

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Twosocks Monkey
 Sunday, June 02 2013 @ 04:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm gonna remind everyone that all wiki pages are group editable, graffiti-able, and you don't need approval to just DO ITTTTTTT.

(Pushes DoC and Temper into the canon page with markers)

End PSA.

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Temper
 Sunday, June 02 2013 @ 09:06 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Okay so GDoc should be starting to be made available tonight/tomorrow morning, just wanna go through as much of the Notebook stuff as I have and try to think up a decent basic organizational layout(it isn't gonna happen). Also, yes! I meant to bring this up. Things like the Century Claymore. And Elias- who is probably in one of the weirdest spots- being talked about fairly well by some pretty sweet writers and mentioned twice by CMJ's flavor text. He's in IC during the monster attacks and he used to be on the Trains and he owns the Lucky Dip, I believe. I don't know though, it's been a while. Anyways, yes, GDoc later today.

I'd also like to see a spot for Things That Used to be True (like the original museum sequence, the stocks, the statues, all that jazz) but that can probably wait until we've gotten into actual canon, on account of it being even less important now.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, June 03 2013 @ 03:06 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Temper

Okay so GDoc should be starting to be made available tonight/tomorrow morning, just wanna go through as much of the Notebook stuff as I have and try to think up a decent basic organizational layout(it isn't gonna happen). Also, yes! I meant to bring this up. Things like the Century Claymore. And Elias- who is probably in one of the weirdest spots- being talked about fairly well by some pretty sweet writers and mentioned twice by CMJ's flavor text. He's in IC during the monster attacks and he used to be on the Trains and he owns the Lucky Dip, I believe. I don't know though, it's been a while. Anyways, yes, GDoc later today.

I'd also like to see a spot for Things That Used to be True (like the original museum sequence, the stocks, the statues, all that jazz) but that can probably wait until we've gotten into actual canon, on account of it being even less important now.

Actual canon about Elias:
In Season One the Lucky Dip was a booth right there in AceHigh, like the Cake or Death man. You could pay Elias two or five req to dip into one of the barrels, three times a day, and the result was always a treasure -- sometimes an iced cookie that gave a small buff, sometimes a cig, sometimes a cheap children's toy that didn't do anything in the game (but sparked plenty of RP), and sometimes, rarely, a mysterious "calle shell" that... also didn't seem to do anything, but rumours flew amongst players about what might happen if you collected enough of them. Z actually kept track of how many calle shells she'd received.

Alas, the Dip had three strikes against it: it was a plain-vanilla LotGD module. It encouraged players to fall into a routine doing the exact same thing every game day. And it gave out way-y-y too many cigarettes.

So when Season Two rolled around, the Lucky Dip was gone. And players went, awwww...

One of those players was Zolotisty, who'd built Elias very deeply into her character backstory. Another was me. Sessine had come to think of his regular visits to the Dip as a daily lesson in learning to think of everything that happens as a treasure, whether it initially feels like one or not.

Then the following happened, in, I think, this order:
1. We got Dwellings (the precursor to Places). Sessine promptly built the Lucky Dip as a Dwelling, so that it would still be there in AceHigh.

2. We got Improbable Labs, CMJ's attempt to encourage players to write code for the Island. I wrote the code for Trains, which was privileged to be the only player-written code that ever ran on the Island, and yes, I'm always going to be kind of happy about that even if they did have to go away again later. With CMJ's permission, I reworked the code from the LotGD module to have Elias showing up once in a while when people were riding. Also, the Lucky Dip became one of the train stations, with Elias as occasional stationmaster and reputed co-proprietor of the Improbable Island Railway Company. So that appearance of Elias isn't exactly CMJ canon -- it's more... me being sentimental about Things That Used To Be True, and CMJ being nice to me.

3. Along came Onslaught -- and in the IC flavour text, Elias re-entered Really Truly canon. Note that the missile he throws to such devastating effect is a seashell!

Well established non-canon facts that are absolutely true about Elias:
1. He was a physician before he became a Joker. He has a surgery upstairs in the Lucky Dip, and even if he's not around, contestants in need of more than the Hospital Tent are welcome to avail themselves of his smuggled medical supplies.

2. He handled the transition to Joker better than most, becoming if anything more sane than he was before. Of course, he does tend to be somewhat enigmatic in his utterances. Extremes of sanity can often be rather confusing to those who are only averagely sane.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.41 seconds
New Topic Post Reply