Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 comments
 |  Printable Version
Gorbert
 Tuesday, August 04 2009 @ 10:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

*stares at the new chatspace--at the massive block of numbers in Kittania*

Eek!

I...

I can go back as far as I want with one click. Dan, I love you even more now.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Tuesday, August 04 2009 @ 10:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just throwing out the idea, but what about a ratings system? Like if enough people marked you down, (It'd have to be quite a lot,) then you just need to not talk for a few game or real days or something.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Tuesday, August 04 2009 @ 10:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The downside of that, though, is that people could use it to be spiteful. Someone gets into a pissing contest with another contestant and has all of their friends mark down that person's comments.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, August 04 2009 @ 10:56 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I've been toying with this idea for a while, now. It crops up every time there's drama, and I end up dismissing it 'cause it happens so rarely.

But perhaps a system of merits rather than demerits would be good - carrot more than stick, sort of thing.

Profile Email Website
K.K. Victoria
 Tuesday, August 04 2009 @ 10:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I understand the point of that, but it doesn't fit into the practice. You have the privilege of commenting in the spaces, there's the punishment of it being taken away if you abuse it.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, August 04 2009 @ 11:01 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Punishment doesn't fit the general practice of Improbable Island, mate. It ain't how we do things 'round here. Wink

Profile Email Website
Zolotisty
 Tuesday, August 04 2009 @ 11:05 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Oh, please let's not thumbs up thumbs down comments. That seems a way to create more drama than alleviate it -- either, 'aah, everyone hates me and happens to be passive aggressively marking me down' or 'aah, no one loves me enough to ever give me a thumbs up what is it that i must do to join the cool kids club aaah.' It's good for a mostly static system, maybe, like the quotes DB on bash.org, and it's good for things like Digg or (hypothetically) YouTube, but that introduces clutter and drama and clutter and oh god please no.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
MadMad
 Tuesday, August 04 2009 @ 11:09 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

This may or may not be a relevant idea, let alone sensible, but most chatters seem to chat/exchange messages with specific group(s) of people.

Might it not be a good idea to allow filtering such as clan(s) filtering?

Another idea might be to introduce karma levels for players, and allowing karmic filtering when reading chat text. The idea is not original - /..org (slashdot.org) introduced it to allow readers to filter out uninteresting comments from interesting ones. As it would be almost impossible to allow ratings on each posted chat line, it might be interesting to allow for karmic filtering. That way nonsensical posters and trollers would weed themselves out and not be read, unless one sets the karmic filtering on (very) low.

"I see," said the blind man to his deaf daughter while picking up his hammer...

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Tuesday, August 04 2009 @ 11:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I didn't mean it in the manner of a thumbs up, thumbs down. Hell, I didn't even mean for it to be something that anyone really saw save for mods, you know?

Suppose there's something to click on their profile page to report something about it. Can only be do it to a player once within a set amount of time.

It'd be really quite simple to scan a list of numbers, find some that are in the double digits and go "Well, damn. This one's really pissing people off." And keep an eye on them or take action or whatever. Just a kind of way to allow the rest of us to assist in making things cleaner around here, rather than just leaving it to the eyes of the mods, which, frankly, won't catch everything.

Or say, after a certain mark of reports, their commenting ability is taken away for a bit.

Yeah, no, the whole "Let's make things into popularity contests" doesn't sit well with me either. The number would have to be invisible, no one'd know about it, not even the one getting the ticks on their record. Suppose the ticks go down by a number, (Maybe half or something) after a week.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Rosin
 Wednesday, August 05 2009 @ 12:15 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Not Found

The requested URL /village.php&refresh=1 was not found on this server.

http://www.improbableisland.com/village.php&refresh=1

Just tried to hit the refresh on comments in Kittania. Happens every time.

EDIT:

Fixed now, or at least seems to be. Happened for a full few minutes.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, August 05 2009 @ 12:30 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Madmad. I often read other peoples comments, even if I don't say anything myself. I love some of the role play that goes on, and wouldn't like it to be filtered out because I wasn't in the right group, or because someone new had joined who was really quite fun, but wasn't on my list of people to watch out for.

Perhaps we could each choose to have a list of people we didn't want to see? No idea how possible this would be.
It could have some strange effects on conversation if some people were unaware of other people chatting away.
KK this would be your rating system, actively filtering someone out means a bit more than just clicking a 'I don't like this person' button. Perhaps even weighted according to how many people you'd filtered out?
Just throwing out ideas here. Doubt whether any of this is even possible, let alone a good idea.

On a related note, back when I was properly role playing with Hairy Mary, it would have been nice to get a little feed back. I did something and got a resounding silence, and wondered, is everyone just being polite and doesn't like to say anything? Is it OK? Or, dare I hope, did some people actually quite like some of it? I know that I've often read peoples stuff that I rather like, but had nothing constructive to say, so I didn't say it. When I was role playing, I tended to invent whole scenes and then just do them, rather than interact to much, so it was hard to tell what was going on.

When I first came back as Cantankerous, I did something a little crass, and KK raised an eyebrow in my direction. Thank-you for that KK, it's far better to get something like that, than to let me carry on regardless. I hear what your saying Zol, and you've got a point. But some sort of feedback, both good and bad, would be helpful to me at least.

I'll be getting stuck back in soonish, as soon as I'm a midget again (my natural race.) I've got a few ideas, the Squat Hole tourist board is on it's way. What do you think would be the better slogan? "Get in touch with your inner midget." or "Squat Hole, the Venice of the Island."? You might think that the later of the two is pushing it a bit far, but it has already been used by Birmingham (UK), (Birmingham, the Venice of the north.) which has more canals than Venice, but resembles it in no other way whatsoever, and frankly using it for Squathole isn't pushing it that much futher than using it for Brum.

Anyway. I'll stop prattling on now.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Wednesday, August 05 2009 @ 12:44 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

"Squathole. The Detroit of the island."

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, August 05 2009 @ 01:20 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, August 05 2009 @ 01:26 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: K.K.+Victoria

"Squathole. The Detroit of the island."

Maybe a record label should be started there, 'Smoketown' perhaps. Bands like 'The Four Bottoms' or something. Not sure what the music style should be called though.

Profile Email
Yrk
 Wednesday, August 05 2009 @ 08:48 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

removing or hiding people's coments is not the way to go, it's kind of like sweeping dust under the carpet or just painting over that huge patch of mould in your bathroom. The problem is still there, even though you cant see it.
People need to understand how to behave rather than just being shielded from the rest of the group, unfortunally i dont have any new idea about how to do that..

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Wednesday, August 05 2009 @ 11:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just my 2 cents on the hide/delete comments thing: On youtube, in the video comments, it bugs me immensively when there is a hidden comment (most probably something hateful) and ten comments replying to it in an rather equally hateful manner (which are not hidden, because They Are Against The Stupid Therefore Good). And I have no idea of WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT.

Youtube could partially fix this by hiding all replies as well if a comment gets hidden. Here, where there is no Re:-system, this would get only confusing. My point of view.

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Wednesday, August 05 2009 @ 05:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

300 IN KITTANIA WHAT THE HELL

Quote by: Zahnnie

Madness!

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, August 06 2009 @ 10:52 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Zolotisty : You're reinstating Sinckerer's 'Awesome Points'. Excellent idea. I always thought that they were a good thing. Have some awesome points from me!

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Thursday, August 06 2009 @ 01:45 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Yeah -- Snick deputized me and Sessine (Sessine especially!) to pass them out when she left.. and we were reluctant for a lot of reasons. I am really hoping this will help with signal to noise ratio; encouraging Good Things instead of the drivel.

And.. by the way, you asked if people saw what you were up to? Wink Yes. I keep an eager eye on you, mate.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Zahnnie
 Thursday, August 06 2009 @ 02:17 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Hee hee, our G-Team adventures amused you?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.69 seconds
New Topic Post Reply