Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Dueling Ground
 |  Printable Version
K.K. Victoria
 Tuesday, September 01 2009 @ 01:40 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Symar

Quote by: CavemanJoe

No - no, not like that. Not the two-chatspaces-side-by-side thing, I think we've pretty well covered that with Location Four. Just the ability for a player to create a new chatspace, into which they can invite certain others for clandestine stuff. Like Clan Halls, only more flexible, and like Dwellings, only more spontaneous.

(not a replacement for Dwellings, mind)

I suppose it depends on both how temporary they are, and if dwellings add anything other than a chatspace. Because I'd just skip the dwellings and use these temporary chats.

No.

Simply, No.

No skipping Dwellings. Will fight tooth and nail in any stadium, Colosseum, cage match, against any person, robot, Valkyrie, or Demon. (Or Daemon, depending on whatever Lore you care.)

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Symar
 Tuesday, September 01 2009 @ 02:05 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: K.K.+Victoria

No - no, not like that. Not the two-chatspaces-side-by-side thing, I think we've pretty well covered that with Location Four. Just the ability for a player to create a new chatspace, into which they can invite certain others for clandestine stuff. Like Clan Halls, only more flexible, and like Dwellings, only more spontaneous.

I suppose it depends on both how temporary they are, and if dwellings add anything other than a chatspace. Because I'd just skip the dwellings and use these temporary chats.

No.

Simply, No.

No skipping Dwellings. Will fight tooth and nail in any stadium, Colosseum, cage match, against any person, robot, Valkyrie, or Demon. (Or Daemon, depending on whatever Lore you care.)

I would skip the dwellings personally, unless they add more than just a chat space.
That's what I meant.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Tuesday, September 01 2009 @ 02:20 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

No.

Simply, No.

I would skip the dwellings personally, unless they add more than just a chat space.
That's what I meant.

At this point? That is the most important thing that they can do. I honestly don't particularly care about much else, other than having a private chat location, and a House.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Symar
 Tuesday, September 01 2009 @ 02:39 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That's what I meant.

At this point? That is the most important thing that they can do. I honestly don't particularly care about much else, other than having a private chat location, and a House.

Well, yes. But if chat spaces are avaialble outside of one, I don't need a dwelling, too.

Profile Email
Jon Bishop
 Tuesday, September 01 2009 @ 03:03 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Gotta agree with KK, if there's no dwellings, I'm done.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Tuesday, September 01 2009 @ 04:20 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Easy boys! Don't go on strike just yet; no one's talking about getting rid of Dwellings. CMJ mentioned to me very recently that they are a higher priority than they once were, once-upon-a-time. Also there are probably Cool Things in store wrt. chat and roleplay, so don't you fuss. Wink

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Cath
 Tuesday, September 01 2009 @ 04:21 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I guess one of the problems I see with having too many different chat spaces is that it leaves a chunk of the population out of whatever you're doing. While I don't see that as bad, I can see it making every other chat space that isn't private, or at least secluded, completely unused because the RPers have their little place to do whatever they like without dealing with people who aren't "in their RP". It's an island, a small place with only a few cities... Even if, and especially if, there are a lot more players, I see it as important to keep people talking in the bigger chat areas because it makes newer people (and people just starting to RP) feel included.

By closing people out of your RP you're both excluding others and limiting your own RP. I don't see that as beneficial in the least.

I also argue that, as nice as it is to have places like the common ground that are in all cities, it gives everyone who wants to use those spaces unlimited stamina, if you will, because you're not having to use it on travel. If it's important for you to talk with certain people, you should have to make that decision and use your stamina accordingly.

That being said, I think there should be a way (for players not in your guild) to see where on the island other people are if they are in a city and on the site. For PVP, there would probably have to be some way to either opt out, or be able to select who can find you, perhaps some sort of friend list, where friends can see you and others can not.

Profile Email
Syn
 Tuesday, September 01 2009 @ 12:03 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Anyway, my original point was simply that if there is going to continue to be a general ban on RPing any character on character violence it would be nice if there was some designated space where this was relaxed somewhat.

Alas! The onion you are eating is someone else's water lily.

Profile Email
Jon Bishop
 Tuesday, September 01 2009 @ 08:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Syn

Anyway, my original point was simply that if there is going to continue to be a general ban on RPing any character on character violence it would be nice if there was some designated space where this was relaxed somewhat.

I can see the issue here, some violence in Role-Playing is completely foolish and unjustified. But, I do believe a fight or two shouldn't be stopped if it actually contributes to a storyline of some sort, and isn't just mindless flailing of the arms and cursing.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, September 02 2009 @ 01:16 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Important note: In the Prancing Spiderkitty, and the Raven Inn, silly slapstick violence is not only permitted, it is encouraged.

Also, if you have a Serious Fight coming up that's part of a planned storyline, it's a good idea to let the mods know about it via Distraction. In advance, if you can, or at least, as soon as it happens.

Right now we're overcrowded for roleplaying space. That problem will be alleviated soon; in the meantime, let's all try to adhere to the Island's Rule One.

Profile Email
Duskrunner
 Wednesday, September 02 2009 @ 08:14 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Well, with today's addition of chat spaces on each and every square of the world map, people should be able to use these to help out. They'll be able to literally "Take it outside".

If people complain that you have to be in the same place, well, so what? If the fight is important enough to the storyline, you can make the effort to get to the same place to have the spat. And if it is not important, and just "OMG I is so madz at you! Fail!" then people won't make the effort.

I think the amusement level possible for these new traveling chat spaces is pretty high too.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves, Did gyre and gimble in the wabe: All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe.

Profile Email
Rosin
 Wednesday, September 02 2009 @ 09:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

World map chat! Love the idea, see it's in practice. But. This means.

New NewHome. It. Can be. REAL!

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
XaNe
 Wednesday, September 02 2009 @ 10:46 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Yeah, I have to say, this seems to be a good solution to the problem. Also, it gives me a few fun ideas for things like treasure hunts, etc...

Some people see the glass as half full, some people see it as half empty, I just spit in the cup until it isn't a problem anymore.

Profile Email
Symar
 Wednesday, September 02 2009 @ 10:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Wow, neat addition. Will be very fun, too.

Quote by: Rosin

World map chat! Love the idea, see it's in practice. But. This means.

New NewHome. It. Can be. REAL!

NewNewHome? What's that about, Ros?

Profile Email
hajen
 Wednesday, September 02 2009 @ 11:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

one word: UTOPIA

and i'll be happy to stop by and leave a 'Hi!' on the chat space...

but Rosin knows me and if the old ways were still in effect, i would be sorely tempted, but they aren't and so i am quite happy to play nice.

i was going to talk further about utopias and dystopias, but i said i would play nice and i am quite happy with the rules and non-aggression we have in the game, though i am looking forward to the scrapbot wars.

"tis better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"

Profile Email
Rosin
 Wednesday, September 02 2009 @ 11:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

New NewHome was an old idea. A sort of safe haven from PvP.

Of course, as our own dear hajen probably remembers oh so fondly, it simply became a PvP magnet. A big one.

I was thinking more of New NewHome as a 'city' than just a bunch of people sleeping in the same place. Or at least, a place for contestants to stop their running over the plains and chat with each other.

We can arrange to meet someone at a preordained square on the map. And as in Real Life (whatever that is) people can stumble across the meeting. It's fun, useful, and ups the realism a bit.

(Upping the realism too much is bad. We want play, not work. But the idea that you can stop to chat with others on the map is realistic and fun.)

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Symar
 Wednesday, September 02 2009 @ 11:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, if you want an easily stumbled-across location, might I suggest the intersection between NewHome, IC, and Kitt?

Profile Email
hajen
 Thursday, September 03 2009 @ 12:03 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, if you want an easily stumbled-across location, might I suggest the intersection between NewHome, IC, and Kitt?

smiles big really big
that would be the spot, the great crossroads of the island
and i bet it already has 5 pages of chat.

"tis better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"

Profile Email
James Bond
 Thursday, September 03 2009 @ 02:56 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

...I...

...Love...

...This world chat!!! I can now have my beach condo!

*coughs, regaining his composure.* Yes, Hajen, we all remember your... would rampage be suitable, or not enough?
And no, I just checked, only two people have posted there...

Profile Email
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Thursday, September 03 2009 @ 07:31 PM UTC  

On the original topic of this thread: Dueling Ground.

Good in theory, complicated in reality. Observe:

Lorenzo: Have some brains!
Escemfer: I'm gonna chuck this at your head because I'm mad at you.
Referee: HOLD IT! Move this to the dueling ground. We don't need any fights here.

I think we're getting a little picky about the CG. Yes, we've been having WAY too much drama in there lately, but not all drama is bad drama. Some fights need moderating, they need to be put to a stop... Other fights are perfectly, plotfully acceptable. The question is, how do we keep the CG fun for everyone without some players having to sit through drama they really don't want to deal with?

A thought: Why not make a sub-area of the CG where the "peaceful conversation" rule is absolutely enforced? Let people have their drama in the CG, and people who don't want to deal with it can retreat to a quiet, peaceful area of the grounds away from all the tension. This seems a little easier than breaking up spontaneous arguments to send people to a Dueling Ground, and you know that if there was such a feature, some nitpicky people would be seriously abusing it.

Content generated in: 1.59 seconds
New Topic Post Reply