Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Dueling Ground
 |  Printable Version
Ebenezer
 Thursday, September 03 2009 @ 07:38 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I'm not sure how to put this into useful words, so bear with me. . .

A problem I see with this is the fact that not all "fights" are actually fights. For example, my character is somewhat argumentative, but not really very physical. He might want to shout his head off at Lorenzo (just an example name) one day, but he sure as hell wouldn't want to fight him, since Lorenzo could almost certainly kick his ass from here to next Thursday. In that case, it would seem really strange for him to say "let's finish this conversation in the Dueling Grounds!"

I don't really have a suggestion about that. I just wanted to bring it to the conversation. . .

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Thursday, September 03 2009 @ 08:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Escemfer

On the original topic of this thread: Dueling Ground.

Good in theory, complicated in reality. Observe:

Lorenzo: Have some brains!
Escemfer: I'm gonna chuck this at your head because I'm mad at you.
Referee: HOLD IT! Move this to the dueling ground. We don't need any fights here.

I think we're getting a little picky about the CG. Yes, we've been having WAY too much drama in there lately, but not all drama is bad drama. Some fights need moderating, they need to be put to a stop... Other fights are perfectly, plotfully acceptable. The question is, how do we keep the CG fun for everyone without some players having to sit through drama they really don't want to deal with?

A thought: Why not make a sub-area of the CG where the "peaceful conversation" rule is absolutely enforced? Let people have their drama in the CG, and people who don't want to deal with it can retreat to a quiet, peaceful area of the grounds away from all the tension. This seems a little easier than breaking up spontaneous arguments to send people to a Dueling Ground, and you know that if there was such a feature, some nitpicky people would be seriously abusing it.

I have to say, I like this better than the idea of a Dueling space. People just could get up and move to Under The Oaks or By The Willows if things get nasty - something that has been done before, but didn't really work, since the chatboard still was the CG, and therefore the same for everybody.

There's this habit of just getting up and walking away once fights start some have. As the CG is the only island-wide chatspace available to anyone, conversations automatically are interrupted by this - various people just end up in different towns. It would work better if there was another, island-wide chatspace that these people could retreat to, and occasionally peek out and facepalm until things have cooled down a little.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Thursday, September 03 2009 @ 08:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

So, we 'splinter' the Common Grounds. Make the current page a portal for several chat areas, such as 'The Library Corral' `The Bar` `The Maze` etc. even if you have a handfull of rp's going on, they rarely take place in the same 'area' of the common grounds to begin with.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Skidge
 Thursday, September 03 2009 @ 09:05 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Iiiiiif this goes down, let it be known, mah bruthas and sistahs, that if you FIGHT in mah CORRAL there's gonna be TRUBBLE goin' down! You hear me?! YOU HEAR ME?!

*ahem* I'm sorry, I have no idea what just came over me. *cough*. Must be coming down with something...

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Thursday, September 03 2009 @ 09:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I can't say that I agree with that at all.

People who are following the 'Peaceful roleplay rule' have to leave? That doesn't seem fair at all! Why should they have to be like "Oh, X and Y are at it again... -Sigh- Well, to the bomb shelter, let's go..." That just doesn't seem right, especially in the middle of a discussion, they suddenly have to pick up and leave just because two people are having a conflict?

It doesn't have to even be referred to as 'The Dueling Ground,' as you're right, it sounds weird to say "Let's finish this in the Dueling Grounds." Why not just make it someplace else, like a clearing in the woods or something else?

People who start fights should have to get moving someplace where violence is allowed. The people who are being peaceful shouldn't be expected to have to go anywhere just because they aren't fighting.

Beyond that, supposing that I never wanted to see any negative drama at all, I'd still have to stomach going into the Common Grounds first, then reading a bit, get bothered, then go to the other space.

And also, the Common Grounds have always been the way that they are. I'm not really in favor of it changing. I'll agree to adding a place where fighting is acceptable, but I don't agree to changing the entire attitude of the Grounds themselves just because some negative drama has been running rampant recently.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Adder Moray
 Friday, September 04 2009 @ 12:56 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Also, just in the interest of humor, if this happens, could it be named "Someplace Else."

Secondly, to Escemfer, I was thinking under the impression that this was supposed more of a matter of having a place for violence to occur, than having a place to send people who are about to be violent.

Profile Email
Fenrir
 Friday, September 04 2009 @ 04:06 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

The idea occurs to me, now that we have chat interaction on the world map tiles ...
Why not have duels be an option strictly available in those areas?

It's just a matter of going to the world map when a duel takes place on the tile of an outpost - which I would expect to be frequent.
A real "let's take this outside" sort of deal.

----
Viewing the combat log could be an optional button on the side menu.
For example, if a fight had taken place in the last day...

1 - Adds a line to the area description (much like they're added to your New Day info screen based on circumstance).

"Some of the ground appears scuffed and a slight scent of blood hangs in the air. It's plain to see that a struggle took place recently and there's just about enough evidence to piece it together."

2 - Adds an option to the side menu.

"View Recent Duels:"

This option would link to a brief list of recent fights in that location.
---

Just tossing in my two cents!

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.62 seconds
New Topic Post Reply