Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Crate lists feedback: :-(
 |  Printable Version
Pinche Cabron
 Wednesday, September 30 2009 @ 07:25 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Now I know why I hit so many crates today, when all I was trying to do was burn off some stamina by running around in the jungle and swimming in the ocean. Huzzah for the Crate Stimulus Plan. I'm definitely voting for Caveman Joe at the next election.

And Zolotisty, I feel my criticism was honest and direct, and I didn't call names. I'm reading the post I criticized as a troll at worst and attention seeking at best, since I don't think the poster is a totally oblivious idiot. However, I could be wrong, and if so, I apologize.

One thing about putting a limitation on the use of energy drinks: It's going to put a severe wrench in attempts to get a 1 day DK. Those that have already achieved this rare distinction didn't have to face such a limitation (and what's more, I imagine they also had cheaper drinks).

Profile Email
Anonymous: Someone too lazy to log in
 Wednesday, September 30 2009 @ 09:47 PM UTC  

Quote by: Pinche+Cabron

One thing about putting a limitation on the use of energy drinks: It's going to put a severe wrench in attempts to get a 1 day DK. Those that have already achieved this rare distinction didn't have to face such a limitation (and what's more, I imagine they also had cheaper drinks).

Psst, CMJ didn't want a 1 day DK to be possible with the stamina system. It got ridiculous in S1 when near everyone after 20 DKs could make one, and even higher people didn't even have to try. Thus, he made the stamina system so no one should ever 1 day DK again.

CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, September 30 2009 @ 11:43 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

The joker thing is a bug, ignore it.

Profile Email Website
omenesia
 Thursday, October 01 2009 @ 01:13 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Oh yeah - I forgot to mention. This isn't how eBoy's works at all. eBoy's algo is actually about a billion times simpler, but the values it relies on are in the hands of large numbers of human beings, which makes it seem far more complex and unpredictable than it actually is, and causes clever people to come up with suitably complex explanations. Mr. Green

(as a complete aside, have I mentioned lately how much I appreciate the fact that my game is filled with intelligent people? Have you seen the players in those mafia-type PBBG's?)

I have.:X (And I have to say that the community of players that I've seen in the game and the forums is really enjoyable as a fellow player.)
--
I'm generally content to wait and see how the changes work themselves out for the moment. The economy is being quickly tossed around because of the newbstorm and from the addition of robots and jokers. And with at least one of the variables linked to the raw population count upping prices, it may take a while for eBoy's stock to rise to levels where prices are again what veteran players are used to.

Even though I'm not a big user of Energy Drinks, I can see how other players could be quite reliant on them now that I'm going through as a Robot, and I would expect that playing as a Joker might be similar. And I'm hesitant to say that a limit on the would be a great idea. (Seperate from the achievement of 1 day DKs)

Lions. Lions the whole way up.

Profile Email
Giuseppe Lorenzo
 Thursday, October 01 2009 @ 02:52 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Does overuse of Energy Drinks lead to a debuff like the Nicotine Withdrawal debuff? If so, the text at New Day could read:

You wake up feeling quite disoriented, with a terrible taste in your mouth. You soon realize your teeth are rotting out of your mouth. Must have been all those sugary Energy Drinks. And the noticeable lack of proper oral hygiene and dentists on the Island doesn't really help. You really, really should get a pair of dentures. And a breath mint.

Profile Email
Pinche Cabron
 Thursday, October 01 2009 @ 03:38 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Someone too lazy to log in

Psst, CMJ didn't want a 1 day DK to be possible with the stamina system. It got ridiculous in S1 when near everyone after 20 DKs could make one, and even higher people didn't even have to try. Thus, he made the stamina system so no one should ever 1 day DK again.

Well, Psst, the horse already left the barn, and CMJ most likely knows that players have already accomplished a one-day DK. (Just a wild guess!) As things stand now, it might be somewhere between very challenging to near impossible, but I'd like a shot at the distinction. If Joe really wanted to make it completely impossible, he could have done so, instead of advertising the fact that it is possible in the Hall of Fame.

CMJ, maybe you could clear up this issue. Did you indeed know that the 1-day DK barrier had been broken, or was there a conspiracy of silence that kept you in the dark?

Profile Email
Zekiel
 Thursday, October 01 2009 @ 12:19 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Zekiel

I've figured the prices at eBoy's work roughly as follows:

(snip snip)

A hyperbole's formula is: y = k / x, where k is a constant. (In this case, 88 constants, one for each commodity in each settlement.)

(snip snip)

Oh yeah - I forgot to mention. This isn't how eBoy's works at all. eBoy's algo is actually about a billion times simpler, but the values it relies on are in the hands of large numbers of human beings, which makes it seem far more complex and unpredictable than it actually is, and causes clever people to come up with suitably complex explanations. Mr. Green

(as a complete aside, have I mentioned lately how much I appreciate the fact that my game is filled with intelligent people? Have you seen the players in those mafia-type PBBG's?)

Really? Behold the simplified formula you gave us before.

eBoy's prices = ($players/$stock)*$demandmultiplier

This says exactly the same as...

eBoy's prices = ($players*$demandmultiplier)/$stock

So where I faultily said k is 88 constants, it's actually 88 variables, which are the products of $players and $demandmultiplier. For as long as this product is constant (e.g. doesn't change when $stock does), this still describes a hyperbolic relationship. Wink I can only wonder how the function that determines (and changes) $demandmultiplier works, though. Also, is $players the amount of players online, the total amount of players in the settlement, the amount of online players in a settlement, or another amount of players?

The changes proposed to the formula in my previous post can still be applied, but perhaps adjusting eBoy's AI to determine what people are willing to cough up for goods (determining the $demandmultiplier) would be a more fitting solution. Maybe shorten the timespan from which he uses input to calculate the prices? Then again, it could be that he's been programmed smart enough to deal with it as soon as the n00bstorm is put to a halt...

Pinchy said...Well, Psst, the horse already left the barn, and CMJ most likely knows that players have already accomplished a one-day DK. (Just a wild guess!) As things stand now, it might be somewhere between very challenging to near impossible, but I'd like a shot at the distinction. If Joe really wanted to make it completely impossible, he could have done so, instead of advertising the fact that it is possible in the Hall of Fame.

CMJ, maybe you could clear up this issue. Did you indeed know that the 1-day DK barrier had been broken, or was there a conspiracy of silence that kept you in the dark?

Broken? It's been shattered. By 5 different people so far, and a sixth (Sir Cabron) and seventh (Sir Zekiel) are planning and preparing to join the glorious overachievers.

If the world didn't suck, we'd fall off.

Profile Email
Jarek Bone
 Wednesday, October 14 2009 @ 05:35 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Stimulus! It's a temporary stimulus until eBoy's recovers from the effects of the Rookie Storm! Temporary! Mr. Green

So how do the crates work now, are they still like that?

Profile Email
Zekiel
 Sunday, November 01 2009 @ 01:59 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

It's been a while since the economy received attention. Time to necro this thread.

Since the implementation of the crate-based economy (or the removal of eBoy's automatic restocks -- they went hand in hand), a lot of stuff has been going on. Prices skyrocketed because of the sudden drop in supply. The addition of Chronospheres triggered a big wave of donations so thankfully they went back down again, and time will tell if the donations keep coming steadily enough for the prices to stay at acceptable levels. Energy Drinks were nerfed somewhere along the line, so they're actually cheaper than they were before 'cause their demand has dropped tremendously. So why come in to revive this dead thread?

One-Shot Teleporters.

At the time of this writing, there's a total of 90 teleporters on the island, spread over the 8 settlements. That's an average of 11 teleporters in each eBoy's. The prices for these teleporters range from 7563 (NewHome and New Pittsburgh) to 16207 Req (Pleasantville).

Something has to be done about this, I believe. Doubt this was intentional. (Or rather, hope it's not intentional, 'cause it sucks hairy midget balls.) An easy fix for this problem would be to manually restock eBoy's once, to, I don't know, 5 or 10 times the current stock. That would only provide a 1-time solution though. Something else has to be changed to make One-Shot Preservation sustainable. I propose increasing the chances of finding them in crates -- the crate system appears to be sustaining the rest of the economy fairly nicely.

Simply increasing the encounter-rates of teleporters automatically means decreasing the odds of finding other things, though. This means that, without compensating for this, there is a chance the subtle balance the other items' stocks are in might get toppled. The easy way out of this one is reducing the odds of finding another object by as much as you increase the odds of finding teleporters. My suggestion would be Nicotine Gum, 'cause its stocks are absolutely insane and nobody likes finding them anyway.

(Note that this does increase the average value of crates, which may cause inflation problems of its own. I doubt this will go out of hand as badly as the teleporter prices have though.)

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, November 01 2009 @ 05:43 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

The reason teleporter costs are so outrageous is that very few of them are being sold back to eBoy's. Most of them are being used for drive searches, or destroyed after a DK.

Profile Email
Zekiel
 Sunday, November 01 2009 @ 06:12 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Exactly. Many people use several teleporters per DK. Crates simply don't supply the island with enough of them, hence my suggestion to crank up this supply.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Sunday, November 01 2009 @ 07:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

The reason teleporter costs are so outrageous is that very few of them are being sold back to eBoy's. Most of them are being used for drive searches, or destroyed after a DK.

Which is exactly why I suggested the whole giving back thing.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Aeridus
 Sunday, November 01 2009 @ 08:21 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Frankly, I've just been using the Monster Repellent Spray. I still encounter the odd monster here and there, but my stamina is leveled up enough so that it's fairly inexpensive to travel. Also, the spray lasts for an entire in-game day, so it's easy to just buy one and use it when I'm ready to go drive hunting. No economy loss there.

I really do like the idea someone else put forth, that in addition to Clan Buffs we could also buy zipwires between different towns, or something. I think it would be better to not have it depend on a maxed out clan buff because it's really just a separate thing to spend cigs on. This would enable power players (who are usually in high-level clans) to decide to sell Teleporters back into the economy for low-level players to enjoy.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, November 01 2009 @ 08:22 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: K.K.+Victoria

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Which is exactly why I suggested the whole giving back thing.

That would help, some, but it wouldn't solve the problem. Zekiel's right, the total supply is much too small.

Profile Email
Zekiel
 Sunday, November 01 2009 @ 11:15 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine... Zekiel's right, ...
Woohoo! I love it when I'm right!

I like the idea of ziplines as an alternative to teleporters. If fixing teleporters proves less feasible or simple than I assumed when suggesting a solution, putting this in would be great. I would zip up and down between Squat Hole and Pleasantville daily. It'd be like commuting! Big Grin

I would imagine there's all sorts of stuff that can go wrong when using it, of course, but having the option of paying a set amount of Req to travel to a nearby settlement would be sweet. (Not to mention the effect it would have on imposing a soft limit on One-Shot prices!

Profile Email
Pinche Cabron
 Monday, November 02 2009 @ 06:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I like the idea of there being alternate forms of transportation that could take the pressure off the one-shot supply. Maybe other mounts. Personally, I'd really like to see Rocket Skates™.

Or a one-use-a-day portal in the comms tent that would take you to a random outpost, for 1/10th the price of a one-shot.

Profile Email
Symar
 Monday, November 02 2009 @ 09:25 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I like the idea of there being alternate forms of transportation that could take the pressure off the one-shot supply. Maybe other mounts. Personally, I'd really like to see Rocket Skates™.

Or a one-use-a-day portal in the comms tent that would take you to a random outpost, for 1/10th the price of a one-shot.

Well, if Kittybikes are going to be anything liek their S1 counterparts, they'll have some pretty good travel discounts.

Profile Email
monsterzero
 Tuesday, November 03 2009 @ 02:39 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I'd like a once-a-day Joker teleport power that puts you in a completely random location, i.e. on one of the 1000 squares in the world.

Sorta like the Hyperspace button in Asteroids. You could get where you want to go, or end up much farther away. Jokers everywhere! Wheee!!

Profile Email
Zekiel
 Tuesday, November 03 2009 @ 12:23 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Not too fond of the idea of random transportation, but I believe it's safe to conclude people want more travel options. I would, however, much prefer the current options to be fixed first. One-Shots are broken at the moment. (Their prices are, at least, which is caused by their supply being broken.) Dan! Save our sou-- Err, wallets!

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, November 04 2009 @ 07:10 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I've increased the rate of one-shots appearing in Crates. It'll take some time for this change to trickle down through the nailboard of Improbable Island's economy.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.63 seconds
New Topic Post Reply