Forum Index > Places > Places: Feedback and Development New Topic Post Reply
 A couple of hopeful requests.
 |  Printable Version
Buddleia
 Friday, September 09 2011 @ 07:29 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

I realize it's a bit late for a request/suggestion, but could be possibly get the option to lump the explore/return links all under one heading?

You can actually do that! It's in Master Settings - Nav Headings - set both text boxes to the same thing.

I've also got a few requests to throw onto the It's A Bit Late Now pile...
  • Sort place inventory (alphabetically / by number / by type of thing)?
  • Link/from to place inventory when making programs, or be able to place contraptions/contrivances direct from inventory?
  • Make Rename Program feature more obviously [click-here-type-name] and [then-click-to-set]?
  • A Close Page nav link? Some way to get back to just the room description from in a page.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Friday, September 09 2011 @ 07:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Buddleia

You can actually do that! It's in Master Settings - Nav Headings - set both text boxes to the same thing.

Oh, hey, awesome. Thanks!

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, September 09 2011 @ 07:53 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: tehdave

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Okay, so if we make Memories able to store a number between 0 and 999,999, then that could mean that a Memory could count up to one shy of a million; or, it could mean that it could count to nine six times. A Contrivance that just checked the 1-6'th digit would do everything we need to make this work, since we can already increment or decrement by 1, 10, 100, 1,000, or 10,000 at a time via the existing Memory Increment Contraption.

This means I make six times less money out of Memories. :-/

(I guess I could make it a really rare Contrivance)

Actually, speaking of something like this, would it be possible to buy "Dwelling flags" or something similar? I'll explain what I want to be able to do. Haven't really played much with the beta server so I don't know what's already possible and what isn't:

There's a room in Hendrix with a device that has a dial and a switch. The dial can be set to "Sunrise", "Daytime", "Evening", and "Nighttime". The switch can be set to "Magic" and "More Magic"

The dial, obviously, sets the time of day. The switch switches (gasp!) between displaying an aurora (magic) and a neverending fireworks display (more magic)

I know I can make pages that when you set the dial, it'll hide the room description and replace it with a description showing the time of day the dial is set to. I can also set a page that you flip the switch to "more magic" and there's fireworks. I'd like to combine the two, and even change other rooms in the place to reflect these settings.

To do that, the simplest (not the most ideal, but simplest) would be to, on that particular room, have a base description with nothing special, or display one of several (hidden) pages depending on flags set, and have 6 pages, 4 of which would be setting the dial (clear other time-related flags, and flip on the new flag) and the other two would be "flip switch to X" which would either set or clear the "More magic" flag. These pages could of course be hidden if their particular flag is active. The room itself would have programs set to display the page related to the time of day and whether the fireworks or the aurora is active.
That would be really cool for just that room. But I have BIGGER PLANS!

There's another room. It's a beachfront. I'd like that room to change depending on the things set in the Fireworks Balcony room. So if the switch is on "More Magic" and "Nighttime" then the room has a nighttime description, and there's fireworks off in the background. Etc. for other combinations. (In some sort of unrelated note, why the hell does my spellcheck know "Combination" but not "Combinations"?)

I know it would probably mean making tons of hidden pages and making sure all the programs work for each page/room, and would be delicate work on my part, but I WANT TO SEE THIS HAPPEN AND WOULD GLADLY GIVE YOU MONEYS TO HAVE THIS AVAILABLE.

That all seems like it'd be possible with the current system. Right now Memories apply to a player in a Place - not to a player in a Room in a Place. You can check the Memory from any Program.

The only thing is that each player would in effect have their "own" dial. Maybe someday soon I'll make a Place Memory that's the same for all players.

Profile Email Website
tehdave
 Friday, September 09 2011 @ 08:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That all seems like it'd be possible with the current system. Right now Memories apply to a player in a Place - not to a player in a Room in a Place. You can check the Memory from any Program.

The only thing is that each player would in effect have their "own" dial. Maybe someday soon I'll make a Place Memory that's the same for all players.

That's what I'd be looking for, really. Have a contraption set the memory, and contrivances to check what the value of that memory is, throughout the Place, and show the Page with the right description based on that memory.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Tahvohck
 Friday, September 09 2011 @ 08:32 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: tehdave

That's what I'd be looking for, really. Have a contraption set the memory, and contrivances to check what the value of that memory is, throughout the Place, and show the Page with the right description based on that memory.

Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease. That'd be so much more helpful to me.

Profile Email
Iriana
 Saturday, September 10 2011 @ 01:46 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've been fiddling on the test server and trying to figure out all this cool stuff that I can apparently now use. (And it is very cool.) It's taking a while to get resolved in my head because of the sheer amount of things that were never possible with the old system, but I'll get there someday.

Not requests, but just "I wonder if this can be done, and I'm just not seeing how to do it":

- Is it possible to get Pages and Doors to display under the same custom heading? I know you can put them all under "Explore this area", but can you do it with a different heading?
- Can you make a room display different text when you're passing through it on the way to the exit than when you're passing through in from the entrance? Or in other words, can the description be different when you're entering a room from Door A than when you enter from Door B?

The list of these will get longer as I do more fiddling and run into more confusion and have more silly questions. But anyways, this is all very fun!

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Sunday, September 11 2011 @ 02:44 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Okay I've got one.

This would be for bigger Places, because that is a lot of scrolling.

Room Settings: How about a section near the top, have a little bar there that has all the
"Room ID 867-5309: (kudos if you caught that reference number. Razz)
Chat:
Disable
Single
* Dual

Who's Nearby display is currently Enabled
Disable
"

STUFF up there. It would, potentially, be like a select all of sorts.

So if you wanted all your rooms with single chat or with dual or Nearby disabled, you could do them all at once.

Of course, the individual rooms' preferences would override it, if, say, someone wanted something else than that, but with the majority of them in what they choose.

It's nothing big, but...maybe? I'm sure it could save a lot of scrolling for Dunbernarding and other such beeeeeg Places. Smile

just a thought!

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Sunday, September 11 2011 @ 04:02 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

How about a contrivance the checks the number of logged-in players in a room?

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Sunday, September 11 2011 @ 04:00 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Another (re)request: add a nav link to Back To First Room by the Return To Map one, if possible, please.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Swede
 Monday, September 12 2011 @ 07:02 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Eek!
Memories are tied to players?
But that wasn't on the test server...

That means my vault won't work on the normal server.
Crap, I had prepared everything for that.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Monday, September 12 2011 @ 12:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Swede

Eek!
Memories are tied to players?
But that wasn't on the test server...

That means my vault won't work on the normal server.
Crap, I had prepared everything for that.

No no. Each player has their own copy of each memory. That's always how I'd read it, although I don't remember ever actually testing this on the test server, with multiple alts.

Profile Email
Swede
 Monday, September 12 2011 @ 02:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I probably explained myself wrong.
Each memory's value is tied to a specific player.
Something which wasn't on the test-server.

Meaning that now, if Swede stores his item in the vault, he is the only one who can take it out.

Profile Email
tehdave
 Monday, September 12 2011 @ 05:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I thought the Memories were each Memory is tied to a specific player?

Also: Is there a way to make something that'll output some sort of visual representation of the Place? Or do I have to do that by hand? It gets hard once you get into a dwelling even just the size of Hendrix...I've mostly been just rebuilding rooms and re-decorating them (For the most part, the Place is going to be pretty close to how the Dwelling was, with a few additions, mostly of Doors between areas that should have been linked before) and there's no indication, for instance, when building a Door, of what rooms are already linked by a door! This can lead to wasted wood/stam when you realize you've built a door that already exists! (I have done this, the second door actually doesn't DO ANYTHING...)

Oh, and also it'd be best to know which rooms are actually orphaned. i.e have no doors attached to them. That would probably be a bit easier to toss in a link under the main settings "List orphaned rooms"...

Also, can we set a default for all rooms re: chat settings and page nav? Or at least have the option to use Radio Buttons to select all the settings all at once and hit "save changes" at the bottom?

If I'd played with Placesbeta more, I'd probably have added these suggestions in the beta thread...

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.11 seconds
New Topic Post Reply