|  Printable Version
LydiaDefountain
 Sunday, March 11 2012 @ 07:01 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Wow, HM, that's a lot to think about!

As for mementos... they can be owned by either a player, or by a Place. You're right, if they're in a Place's inventory, they are not associated with a particular room in that Place.

Another problem with using mementos for game objects is that it's possible for the Place to run out of copies of a memento. If you give your Place 50 copies of a dead battery to give out, then when the fifty-first player comes along, they're going to be out of luck.

This can be mitigated to a certain extent by setting up situations in the game where the Place takes mementos back, but that only means that all 50 will eventually end up in the possession of those players who don't keep playing your adventure. What if people discard some of your key mementos, drop them on the map, give them to someone else...? Not only that, if a character is expired for inactivity all their inventory items are wiped out, so sooner or later most of those initial fifty dead batteries will have vanished.

You'd have to keep monitoring and replenishing the stock of all memento-objects in your Place, just to keep your game playable.

I like your notion much better -- it's sustainable.

Edit: Mementos could have a role, too, but I think more in the way of trophies for completion.

So what we need, really, is Place Items. That is, Mementos with the following differences:
* To forge them, you pay a flat rate for a Memento Generator that goes in your Place, rather than paying for individual Mementos.
* The non-transferable flag is set.
* The Unique flag is set (the player may have only one).
* They go in a different Inventory area.

This sounds nice actually, I'd definitely think about using a combination of the page discription/programs option and this.. be very cool if these Mementos would automatically be set to "show" rather then "hide" so a player, without leaving the place and checking their inventory to know what they have, for such situations that someone doesn't set up the page option.

Gah soooo much I want to build and do.. so far I'm building a more rp run dungeon but likely my next place I might build will be given the works..

I'm likely going to try to tackle random encounter program and such sometime.. someday.. maybe.. I still need a better grasp on the programming.. I've never been that good at programing...

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, March 11 2012 @ 07:50 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

As far as the attrition rate is concerned, perhaps an item that's buried away behind puzzles and takes some getting-to might not deplete too fast, but I assure you it's not just a theoretical issue. Escemfer found that out very quickly when she tried giving out 'Pants' mementos from Soup and Pants! The stock emptied out very fast -- I think it was under a week -- and most of them have long since vanished along with the Rookies who picked them up.

Since they're unlimited, I suppose they'd have to be more expensive. Me, I'd gladly pay 500 SP apiece for as many Place Memento Generators as my game design needed. When I build something I feel it needs to work on its own, not rely on me remembering to go back months later to check on it.

(My Place is... um. Mostly just plans, so far. There are some rooms and pages built, but you can't get to them at the moment. All anyone without a certain talisman gets to see is the inside of a dark tent. I've been **cough** waiting for these new C&Cs. Yup, uh-huh. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Pay no attention to all that writing I should have been doing, and haven't done.)

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Monday, March 12 2012 @ 12:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

As far as the attrition rate is concerned, perhaps an item that's buried away behind puzzles and takes some getting-to might not deplete too fast, but I assure you it's not just a theoretical issue. Escemfer found that out very quickly when she tried giving out 'Pants' mementos from Soup and Pants! The stock emptied out very fast -- I think it was under a week -- and most of them have long since vanished along with the Rookies who picked them up.

Ah, OK I take that back then. Actually puzzles are the least of the problems stopping people getting to my mementos, more serious blocks include the locked front door and worse, the fact that I haven't installed anything to hand out the mementos yet. Rolling Eyes

Although, Soup and Pants is probably one of the most visited Places on the Island, along with the similar Places in the "Inner Outposts". Places stuck out in the wilds probably get rather less through traffic. But yes. Point taken.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Monday, March 12 2012 @ 03:50 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

On the note of trying to store and extract two and three digit numbers in memories, is there any chance we could have a little more arithmetic? DIV, MOD and multiplication would make that vastly easier.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Monday, March 12 2012 @ 05:30 AM UTC  

Yes indeedy, I did run out of all 50 mementos in about a week and a half, even after tweaking the program a little to give out fewer, and only received three back through the "return" program since I released the mementos a couple months ago. It was a sad week-and-a-half indeed.

I haven't commented a lot on this thread because some of it's a bit over my head, but it's very interesting discussion!

Full Metal Lion
 Monday, March 12 2012 @ 05:40 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Escemfer

Yes indeedy, I did run out of all 50 mementos in about a week and a half, even after tweaking the program a little to give out fewer, and only received three back through the "return" program since I released the mementos a couple months ago. It was a sad week-and-a-half indeed.

I haven't commented a lot on this thread because some of it's a bit over my head, but it's very interesting discussion!

I wondered where everyone got those damn pants...

I mean, I thought they got 'em in a manner related to Soup and Pants, but I never knew how...

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Monday, March 12 2012 @ 05:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Buddleia

I'm really looking forward to using this, but ... I'm gonna need more instructions than that.

Help? Please?

Hairy Mary, another tutorial-series, perhaps? Tea and cookies and love and hugs!

Your wish is my command Mi'lady.

Now. Where are my tea and cookies and love and hugs?

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Monday, March 12 2012 @ 10:13 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Wait! CaveManJoe! These "Place Items"...

Instead of calling them "Place Items", or "Placementos", or whatever, could you call them "Things"? It would fit with the naming scheme of Places, ("Places", "Thoughts", "Memories", "Contraptions", "Contrivances").

Profile Email Website
Buddleia
 Tuesday, March 13 2012 @ 01:37 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary
Your wish is my command Mi'lady.

Now. Where are my tea and cookies and love and hugs?
Yay! Thank you, now I actually understand - you use it to call up a number and the number is from a Memory!

Tragically I couldn't find you any cookies! Have some doughnuts instead.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.67 seconds
New Topic Post Reply