Forum Index > Places > Places: Feedback and Development New Topic Post Reply
 Suggest a Contrivance/Contraption Part 2
 |  Printable Version
Mogar
 Wednesday, May 02 2012 @ 09:56 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Twosocks+Monkey

Forgive me if this isn't the time or place, but now that we've had Places for awhile, and people are getting used to doing more advanced programming...well, is it time to request new C&C's?

swede said:
Set Memory Part.
I'm now using an increment, but if I want to reset the memory part to 0, I'll have to reset the entire memory.

I voted for this recently in another thread without realizing swede had already called for it. Seconded!

I'm going to third this contraption idea!
...I'll probably get around to it tomorrow

Profile Email
Mogar
 Wednesday, May 02 2012 @ 10:22 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Also, it isn't a Contrivance/Contraption, but can we add an option to add a column or two to the escape hatch?

Profile Email
Mogar
 Thursday, May 03 2012 @ 02:14 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Aaaaand to add to the pile of ideas, A contrivance of Memory Not Equal and Memory Part Not Equal.
Contrivances pass if a memory (part) does not equal a specified number. As opposed to using a Memory (Part) Equal and switching the valve to Failure, this contrivance can now be combined with others.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Thursday, May 03 2012 @ 02:44 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Mogar

Aaaaand to add to the pile of ideas, A contrivance of Memory Not Equal and Memory Part Not Equal.
Contrivances pass if a memory (part) does not equal a specified number. As opposed to using a Memory (Part) Equal and switching the valve to Failure, this contrivance can now be combined with others.

I think the failnozzle or whatever you call it was added to avoid needing "if X not" contrivances.

Profile Email Website
Nekops
 Wednesday, May 09 2012 @ 10:59 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I believe I need a Contrivance to check for certain people. By name.

This one Contrivance would allow me to set Memory Values to individual people and treat them differently... not always more positively, or I would use a Momento to bestow my favor upon them. A negative momento, though, they can just drop.

This is unneccessary, of course, if there's some way to manually set Memory values to certain characters... but I don't know of one.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Wednesday, May 09 2012 @ 11:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Nekops

This is unneccessary, of course, if there's some way to manually set Memory values to certain characters... but I don't know of one.

It's in the pipeline, I believe. There was a thread on it, though I can't find it. Maybe others can?

Profile Email Website
Ilovemath224
 Sunday, June 03 2012 @ 12:29 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Check Status:
Basically, this checks if somebody is online, offline, somewhere else, AFK, or TTM.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Tuesday, June 05 2012 @ 03:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

As well as adding a vote to the pile for a Set Memory Part, I'd like a Stop Specific Program contraption.

I'd also like the Hide Room Description contraption to be able to hide the room's description when it's in a Page in the room. Or even as a settable parameter for which room's description to hide.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
LydiaDefountain
 Tuesday, June 05 2012 @ 04:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Mogar

Also, it isn't a Contrivance/Contraption, but can we add an option to add a column or two to the escape hatch?

Stick a run program in there (with a separate program running your escape plan either as a extra grid or on a hidden page off your control room)

Gives you a lot more space.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Tuesday, June 05 2012 @ 10:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I don't know how Thoughts work on a first-hand experience, but a contraption of Set Thought (or Memory) to Commentary might be nice.

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, June 05 2012 @ 10:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

I don't know how Thoughts work on a first-hand experience, but a contraption of Set Thought (or Memory) to Commentary might be nice.

You can already insert the contents of a Thought into a room/page decoration. Or did you mean able to accept numbers input by your guest?

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Wednesday, June 06 2012 @ 02:37 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary
You can already insert the contents of a Thought into a room/page decoration. Or did you mean able to accept numbers input by your guest?

You can? Huh. That might be useful to me in the future.

... Anyhow, yeah, take numbers from your guest.

Profile Email Website
Kew
 Tuesday, June 12 2012 @ 11:58 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Contrivance idea: If ___ door is locked/if ____ door is unlocked
You'd put the door ID# in the blank.

I would like this because I'd like to be able to change what a room description says based on whether the door is locked or not. I'm sure there's a way to do this through memories or thoughts, but I have noooo idea how and it would be so much simpler if this contrivance existed. (I'd just use pages to change the room description. I've figured that much out at least.)

Wouldn't it be loverly?

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Tuesday, June 12 2012 @ 10:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Kew

Contrivance idea: If ___ door is locked/if ____ door is unlocked
You'd put the door ID# in the blank.

I would like this because I'd like to be able to change what a room description says based on whether the door is locked or not. I'm sure there's a way to do this through memories or thoughts, but I have noooo idea how and it would be so much simpler if this contrivance existed. (I'd just use pages to change the room description. I've figured that much out at least.)

There is a way! Through coincidence! Every time you have an Unlock Door Contraption, include next to it a contraption to set a memory digit to one. Every time you have a Lock Door Contraption, include next to it a contraption to set that same digit to zero.

Also, if we had this contrivance about doors, I would use them as memory. It would be awesome, but maybe not-so-good for CMJ's wallet, eh? Then again, if you're willing to go to all that trouble for one binary digit, maybe you deserve it.

Hmm... thinking about it, I have my own contriv/trap question. Is there a way to use mostly-unused digits? For instance, if I were keeping track of a door like above, I'd only be using 2/10 of the potential of a digit. Is there a way to use the rest?

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, June 13 2012 @ 12:38 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'd use a Thought rather than a memory for this. Don't have to worry about faffing about setting digits (there is no Set Digit Contraption). You don't have to remember the digit over to the next page load, so use a Thought. In fact you want to reset to 0 for a new page load. Much easier all round.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Wednesday, June 13 2012 @ 12:59 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I had assumed that Kew meant if the door was manually locked/unlocked (which can be done by the owner in one click), rather than by a program. Is there anything which will detect if a door is set in Master Settings rather than by a program?

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Grey
 Thursday, June 21 2012 @ 09:56 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

No idea if this should go here or elsewhere but, hideable beds like you can hide a room.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Friday, June 22 2012 @ 02:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Grey

No idea if this should go here or elsewhere but, hideable beds like you can hide a room.

This! Big Grin A couple of us have asked for these "hide slot" contraptions. I suspect that slots behave differently than doors and pages, though, and no idea what would happen if the bed you're sleeping in were suddenly "hidden" when you woke up. Though, that would be pretty sweet to hide the teleport beacons, so it's not some massive time capsule in the middle of the room all the time. Imagine just zapping into the middle of a mansion's foyer, no idea how you got there besides mashing your OST button... You could even truly customize the landing pad to suit your tastes! Beacon hidden in the chandelier! Smile

(Although CMJ did just such an awesome bang-up job on the Teleport Beacon description, I don't know why I even thought about writing my own, much less actually spending the cigs at Cadfael's to do so!)

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Ilovemath224
 Tuesday, July 31 2012 @ 08:12 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Hmm... thinking about it, I have my own contriv/trap question. Is there a way to use mostly-unused digits? For instance, if I were keeping track of a door like above, I'd only be using 2/10 of the potential of a digit. Is there a way to use the rest?

There is. Use a binary system with the memory. You can cram 20 yes/no values into a memory if you do that correctly. I actually know how to do this.

On another note, I really need the ability to set a thought to a memory slot. I've got about 84 programs set up just to circumvent the lack of this feature, only to find out that I'll need 72 more Run Program contraptions. I'm not going out and getting those contraptions again... I've already used around 150 of them for this one program.

The programs themselves are rather simple. There's a single program that sets a thought to a memory, and then that program runs a "While" loop that keeps running until digit "6" of the thought is set to 0, decrementing digit 6 of the thought by one, while raising the value of the thought which represents that slot by one. Then there's a similar program to the latter one for digit "5", then one for digit "4", then one for digit "3", then one for digit "2", then one for digit "1". Perhaps I should bring up a picture rather than trying to explain this in text...

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, July 31 2012 @ 09:00 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ilovemath224

There is. Use a binary system with the memory. You can cram 20 yes/no values into a memory if you do that correctly. I actually know how to do this.

You could even use a mixed base system depending on the exact nature of the information that you wish to remember. It would be a bugger to program though.

On another note, I really need the ability to set a thought to a memory slot.

That's something which would have been useful to me on more than one occasion. As well as vice versa. The ability to add a thought to a specific memory slot.

I've got about 84 programs set up just to circumvent the lack of this feature, only to find out that I'll need 72 more Run Program contraptions. I'm not going out and getting those contraptions again... I've already used around 150 of them for this one program. The programs themselves are rather simple. There's a single program that sets a thought to a memory, and then that program runs a "While" loop that keeps running until digit "6" of the thought is set to 0, decrementing digit 6 of the thought by one, while raising the value of the thought which represents that slot by one. Then there's a similar program to the latter one for digit "5", then one for digit "4", then one for digit "3", then one for digit "2", then one for digit "1". Perhaps I should bring up a picture rather than trying to explain this in text...

Um, you do know that any one program can't run more than two or three times on the same page load don't you? To prevent Infinite Loops.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.66 seconds
New Topic Post Reply