Forum Index > Places > Places: Feedback and Development New Topic Post Reply
 Places: A Discussion of Purpose and Creativity
 |  Printable Version
Twosocks Monkey
 Monday, October 07 2013 @ 11:31 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Escemfer

I'd like to suggest, instead, a directory listing. Like a phone book!

But but but, this exists already!!!

Rummages.

It's part of the Land Registry that Buddleia has up. You just go to the bottom of it and select the next whatsiwhosit... um. Sheet!

LAND REGISTRY

Perhaps someone wants to talk to Budd to add something they feel passionately isn't on this? I haven't looked at it lately, but last I checked it was incredibly up to date and really quite fancy and awesome!

PS: Also there's an enquirer list somewhere but I couldn't find the link sorry!

-moo

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Monday, October 07 2013 @ 10:17 PM UTC  

Quote by: Twosocks+Monkey

Yes! Mr. Green It does, and it's excellent and useful and marvelous. And not something that the majority of Island players know about or use. Some of us do go all kinds of places to give and get information, but tying that information into the actual game, through an in-game feature, will always be more widely used. Convenience!

Genevieve
 Thursday, October 10 2013 @ 12:50 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Twosocks+Monkey

Rummages.

It's part of the Land Registry that Buddleia has up. You just go to the bottom of it and select the next whatsiwhosit... um. Sheet!

LAND REGISTRY

Perhaps someone wants to talk to Budd to add something they feel passionately isn't on this? I haven't looked at it lately, but last I checked it was incredibly up to date and really quite fancy and awesome!

PS: Also there's an enquirer list somewhere but I couldn't find the link sorry!

-moo

I did so mention this on the previous page! I even put the link in the Outpost Notice Boards in an attempt to get more players to add their thingers.

Here! right here, this one

I added an About section to every named Place on this list so anyone can describe it appropriately.

Of course, in spite of this.... Esc is right. Not enough people use this stuff. BUT HERE IT IS IN CASE YOU WERE LOOKING.

I think an in-game style yellow pages for Places would really be great, categories like Separate Worlds or Surrogate Outpost or something like that, y'know? Shopping Opportunities, etc.

Perhaps even as an in-game yellow pages, as opposed to OOC data. This would also prevent private homes from being listed (so I could write a yellow pages thing for Port Foley but not The Jackalope or Jacques' Mansion.)

Profile Email Website
Thomas_III
 Wednesday, October 23 2013 @ 01:12 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

My thoughts on Places… (I’m posting this to both the places thread, and the general season 3 thread, so pardon me if anything seems like it’s coming out of right field.)

I don’t think that Places should have a rating system, as much as I’d like to see a Place of mine on such a system. I think it encourages people to focus heavily on these rated areas, and perhaps miss out on some really cool places on the map. I think that word of mouth is probably the best way to hear about good Places, as you’ll hear about it from friends and people who likely share similar interests with you. That’s the best way to learn what Places you’d like.

Places attached to outposts have some significant problems. One, it’s likely going to get very crowded, very quickly. Look at how many Places there are now, and then distribute them between the existing outposts. As I recall, I think I remember CMJ saying something about less outposts, so that creates a bigger issue of overcrowding. Secondly, some Places, like Stonehenge or the Barrens, represent complete cities, or even worlds. That’s a little different than just having an apartment built in a section of the outpost.

There are ways to do this, perhaps by making this the cheapest form of “Place” and it only amounting to a single room with a bed. Still, there are a lot of members on the site, and some people will likely get one of these “Places,” in addition to any other Places that they have, just so they have a quick place to sleep for NewDay.

I’ve also seen talk of keeping Places away from the area surrounding an outpost at the start of the season, and then moving Places there based on quality or popularity. While this makes the popular Places within easy reach, it also puts the less popular Places out of reach, making it less likely that anyone will randomly visit these potential hidden treasures. The popular would become more popular, and the forgotten would become more forgotten. This is especially true if people (read as “rooks”) know that the closer Places are the “better” Places, why would they even bother going into the others?

I love that we’ll be able to port our Places over to the new season, though I’ve seen a lot of legitimate concerns about how it may work, and how it could work better. People may want to make something new when they come over, or at least make some changes. I think I may have a solution for that.

Instead of just one “Place-in-a-box,” make two. One contains all of the rooms, pages and doors (maybe inventory and programming, as well), while the other holds the “work” that went into building it (the building units and raw materials). Thus, if you want to just slap everything down just as it is, then you “use” the first box (filling your job list), and then use the second box to actually do all of the work. However, if you want to maybe change some things (delete a room or two), then you simply just delete those jobs from the list before you start working on them, and you’ll have a little extra “manpower” left to do other jobs.

Notice, though, that I didn’t say that either of these should include a land stake. I think we should have to actually build up the cigs (or spend SP for them) before we have a stake to throw down. That will keep the map from being full from the start, focusing more on the new game and storyline for a bit before people slip into focusing on Place RP.

I also think it would be cool if these boxes were giftable. It may be hard to stomach, but some people may want to not keep up their place, but could give the “work” box to someone else to help with building. (I imagine that a few people would happily give up their own Places to make Stonehenge bigger.) Alternatively, they may want their Place to stay, but either don’t want to upkeep it, or would like it to be part of a larger Place. For instance, if someone has a Place that is a store or tavern, and think that it would make a fine addition to the Barrens (which is a small city location). They pass their boxes to me and I slip them into my own Place inventory, and then pop their buildings into my own Place. Their creation still exists, but as a larger whole.

Now, I think I’ve rambled on enough about what’s already been talked about, so I’ll move on to some other ideas that I have. I’d like to see a few alterations to building and programming.

In the job list, I’d like to be able to see what you’ve actually written, and have the option of going in to edit it before it’s built. It’s a pain in the butt when I realize that I made a typo in something that I’ve already set up in the job list. I either have to wait for the job to be done, and then go in to edit the room, again, or I have to figure out which job is the typo and delete it so I can make a new job with the right wording.

It’s just a small thing, but I’d like a “Set Memory Part” added to the C&Cs. It would make some programs so much easier, and would enable things that we can’t do now. I can understand if this can’t be set up, though.

And, the one thing that I want more than anything else…. The ability to change where doors go to. As it stands, making a door makes you pick two rooms that it goes to, and you can’t change them. So, if a room becomes useless, and there’s no other room idea to go there, then you have a useless door that you have to just hide. If you can change the door’s destinations, then no door becomes useless. The same could be true of Pages, since changing a room will often make a page pointless, especially if you can’t think of a new page to put there. If you could move the page to another room, and then change the description to fit what you need there.

Profile Email
Omega
 Wednesday, October 23 2013 @ 01:34 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ooh, one little idea: Instead of a places rating system, a Place of the Day/Week/Month/Solar Cycle system. People who manage this should be able to pick something new every time while still highlighting the places they think are best.
Maybe it doesn't even need to be part of the game. It could be set in the forums or in a special place that's easily accessible by people or in a distraction/e-mail newsletter.

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Thomas_III
 Wednesday, October 23 2013 @ 01:44 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I really don't think that any kind of Place recommendations are necessary. Most people that really want a lot of visitors are able to come up with ideas that will draw them in. People hear about Stonehenge because of how awesome it is. The Barrens gets visitors because people talk about the GET IT! in banter, and I set up events to attract visitors that will hopefully come back for story. There's no shortage of ways to attract visitors to your Place.

For that matter, some people (who may have very intricate and interesting Places) don't actually want a lot of visitors. I'd rather leave the promotion to the individual Place owners.

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Wednesday, October 23 2013 @ 03:44 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

And what happens when you're not around to promote your Place? Nobody goes out to find it.

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Dirk Vanderhuge
 Thursday, October 24 2013 @ 09:32 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Huh. I'm in favor of a means to do more about getting the word out about a Place you've put a lot of time and effort into. Maybe give the Place owners a chance to have a short blurb about it? Stonehenge is one of those things that you're either into or you're not. Honestly, even though it's public and you're all welcome to explore, Darling and I didn't originally build it for anyone other than ourselves and the ones we play with. Feedback's appreciated but not necessary. I hash a lot of it out in distractions and in banter, but I can see the appeal of an anonymous system.

Profile Email
Thomas_III
 Wednesday, November 20 2013 @ 04:04 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Another thing that I'd be interested in seeing... Windows. We already have doors, so windows are the next logical step. A window would act like a page, showing the room that it's connected to, as well as who's present in that room. So, you could "peek" out of a window to see who's on the other side. By making one side of a window "hidden" it could be customized to represent a peephole, a one-way mirror or a security camera.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Wednesday, November 20 2013 @ 05:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Thomas_III

Another thing that I'd be interested in seeing... Windows. We already have doors, so windows are the next logical step. A window would act like a page, showing the room that it's connected to, as well as who's present in that room. So, you could "peek" out of a window to see who's on the other side. By making one side of a window "hidden" it could be customized to represent a peephole, a one-way mirror or a security camera.

I can see a lot of potential abuse for that, especially if it's 'hidden' and behaving as a one-way mirror, since participants in a scene may not be aware they could be watched (read: spied on).

A separate link doesn't feel any better, in my opinion, and if all it shows is who's in another room, I don't see the point? Place owners can get that information from the 'Kick Out Players' menu, and anyone else can see who's in a particular room in a place from the Contestant List. If you're already in the Place and looking to see who's wandering about, odds are slim you're going to click the link at the same time someone else is in another room, unless they're in a scene and you can read the scene through the window. But again, that feels like spying to me.

I mean, this is just my opinion, and maybe I'm missing something, but I also don't understand how place-programmed-windows would contribute to Story? If you're going to wave at people through the window, you'd need access to the Story channel, so from a programming standpoint you may as well have just walked through the door anyway. And if we had a message pop up at the top of the screen like, "THOMAS_III IS NOW WATCHING YOU THROUGH THE WINDOW," what's the difference between that and just participating in the Story channel with a more creative post? "Thomas_III's face appears in the window. He sees you kids playing on his lawn, and he shakes his fist. You damn kids!"

I just don't get it. What's the point? Confused

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Thomas_III
 Friday, November 22 2013 @ 01:25 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

You wouldn't be able to see story in that area. It would just open up something like a Page that would have the room description of the room that it's attached to, and probably a character list. I'm not sure how s3 will work as far as character list, but I have to assume that there will likely be a fix so it doesn't show people who have idled as being shown in the room. (I personally have someone in my place who has been "in" a room for about three months.) So, that page would give you a preview of what may be in the area coming up ahead, or otherwise.

Basically, it would just be another cool thing that people could get original with to put effects into their Places. For instance, it could be used for people to see adjacent outdoor areas at a distance, rather than having to "go" to that area to see what's there.

Profile Email
Denealus
 Saturday, November 23 2013 @ 12:13 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

The "display" effect you can already get. Pages aren't tied to the room they're in. So you could put the room description on a page and "look" through the window, with that page having no text. The programming could load the page in the room with the room's description, and maybe another hidden page that says "You look through the window. This is what you see."

Won't tell you who's actually in the room, but you can at least get a window-like effect with that. Heck, there's a lot of shenanigans you can do with blank room descriptions and "pages" having the actual room description.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.85 seconds
New Topic Post Reply