Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Default Text Color
 |  Printable Version
Raiment
 Tuesday, November 24 2009 @ 02:43 AM UTC (Read 2469 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

For the record, yes, this mistakenly went to the wrong forum. I've posted it there and this can get deleted at any mod's behest.

Now this is just a quick suggestion I'm throwing out for the roleplayers and the inherently lazy (myself included?).

I'd like to suggest the option of a default text color for characters that like to speak in a preferred color. I personally like the cool blue color our speech naturally comes out as, only problem is it doesn't stand out versus the masses.

I think that there could be an option to adjust what your speech looks like by default, either in the player Preferences menu with a sampler sentence, or it could be a special (more secret) feature that the bartender in the Raven Inn could set for you after you're done fooling around with the colors he's just told you about. I know I've been there more than enough times, so it wouldn't be terrible to wait a jungle fight or two for it to appear if I felt a need to re-adjust.

I'm not sure how the coding aspect would work, so I'm unaware of how hard it would be to throw out an automatic `@ at the start of the text prompt, but I'm sure it's something that many players would appreciate, especially when CavemanJoe does his color-coding overhaul (I think he mentioned something of the sort).

Profile Email
Paul Lo
 Tuesday, November 24 2009 @ 05:07 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Wouldn't that make actions become colored too? If that is the case, I wouldn't want such a thing.

If perharps it was a special option that you can turn on and off, though...

Yes, I have a dream, of electronic sheeps and linen bedsheets. But that's not the point. Or isn't it?

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Tuesday, November 24 2009 @ 05:25 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I love the idea, but I distinctly remember someone bringing this up a while ago.

While it'd be pretty useful for some people, (Hell, Paul, your default text color could be `& or `7 (Whichever is the default gray) if you need it to be.) and I would personally use it often, I remember CMJ saying that it was something that would be quite difficult to implement. I don't really remember why, but it think it'd be a hassle and take quite a while to do.

-I suppose that the better idea would be to have a 'Favored start' or something. Maybe something akin to the custom title except that it begins in the text box and doesn't take up your word count, (Yes, sometimes things are made un-plural or missing a period because I start every box with :`~)

I say this because then people could include the : or /me if they wanted to because I know that I never use the default 'Says' when I roleplay.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Tuesday, November 24 2009 @ 07:47 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

CMJ's working on something much more comprehensive for text color packages, as I understand it -- so.. while this would be a trivial addition, let's wait and see what he's got up his sleeve, hmn?

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Raiment
 Tuesday, November 24 2009 @ 09:22 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Right! I'd read that CMJ was planning some great Text Color Overhaul. I wanted to put this idea out there beforehand, in case this might be something he could to implement with the new system.

I hadn't said much when I first arrived on the island. In fact, I didn't say anything until I'd been fooling around in the Raven Inn. When I was messing with chat colors, I arrived at the light blue to be the nicest-looking shade. So I was surprised to find later that I hadn't set my default to that color, it was simply innate. That's where this idea came from.

Of course, if he's planning something far more in-depth, like color-boxes you can click to change highlighted text, that'd be way easier to use.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.42 seconds
New Topic Post Reply