Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Some ideas for long term effects of over run outposts.
 |  Printable Version
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, January 12 2010 @ 03:03 PM UTC (Read 1371 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

There's a lot of different aspects to the outpost invasions, and the discussion in other threads is getting a bit mixed up, so I thought I'd start a new thread just for this.

Normal caveats apply - Just brainstorming, clueless about coding, will inevitably overlap other threads, etc. etc.

1) Is it possible to count how many monsters each player has dispatched when an outpost has been over run? If so, in the aftermath, the player with the most could be declared the 'Hero of the Invasion'. They get a statue built to them in the town square (just the most recent hero, outpost inhabitants are a fickle lot, they never remember more than the most recent Drive Kill.) The hero could also be awarded the keys to the city or declared an honourary citizen. Maybe get a little freebie, in Squathole a voucher for a free massage at Julia's, in Kittiania and Pleasentville a free course of lessons or a free meal, in Acehigh an Improbability bomb etc. They could get a special 'Defender of [outpost]' medal. If anyone ever gets the keys to all 8 outposts then they could get a particularly large medal.

2) Maybe when an outpost has been over run, then the businesses don't come back straight away. They have a certain amount of hit points. These will slowly replenish by themselves (the owners want their businesses up and running) or players can choose to repair the businesses instead of fortifying the walls, to get them up and running again. Midgets might not be inclined to help build the walls, but they'll certainly see a case for being able to get their post drinking session kebabs, especially if Impudentia Skronky's standing over them with a rod of iron.

OK. That's it for the moment. Just trying to stimulate ideas as much as anything.

Profile Email
talkydoor
 Tuesday, January 12 2010 @ 04:09 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I want the key to SquatHole (and I am prepared to fight for it)

Ahem. Yes, this would add to the fun, I think. Big Grin

Profile Email
Ada
 Tuesday, January 12 2010 @ 04:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I like these ideas! They sound like fun.

Profile Email
Paul Lo
 Tuesday, January 12 2010 @ 04:30 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Dibs on Zombiecity. And I mean it (mean mean Twisted Evil )

Fourthed, if it could be called that. Adding more depth (for 2) and some sense of achievement (number 1; Cookies!) would surely cheer the collectors/RPers/broken wills into getting back on their feet to assist once more. Like me. Me like.

Yes, I have a dream, of electronic sheeps and linen bedsheets. But that's not the point. Or isn't it?

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Tuesday, January 12 2010 @ 07:01 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Since AceHigh has been set on fire (in RP), I've (also in RP, of course), set about to repairing the roofs of several businesses. The image I'm getting in my head during an attack is a lot like some generic strategy game - Oh, look, there's a length of wall going down, pawns go fix it! A catapult just shot over the palisades! Pawns go fix that building! Pawns are shot by catapult, improbably! Pawns go clean up the mess, stop mourning, and FIX THAT BURNING MILL ALREADY DAMNIT.

Buildings HP? I'm all for it. If one goes down, there might be several consequences: During the actual breach, the remaining buildings may close if their HP goes down to zero. There may be a chance of Thieving Midget Bastards looting Sheila's supply of Bunny Slippers or eBoy's stock of crate sniffers - this also could apply if said shops' HP aren't above a certain threshold a while after the threat level lowers. The CakeOrDeath-booth closes down during an attack - if its HP are zeroed however, maybe the Joker manning it will increase the chance of FailCake by quite a bit - just because he's out of the good flour of course, absolutely not because his sign is unreadable now...

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, January 12 2010 @ 07:19 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Individual building hitpoints are...

Very, very, very interesting.
Very, very, very labour-intensive.

Could be done by altering the existing modules that create the buildings.
Could be done with a single module that kept track of all building hitpoints and blocknav'd buildings appropriately.

The hardest and most time-consuming thing would be writing the flavour text.

Curiosity. Mmm.

EDIT: Could also be achieved by running all module flavour text through a hook, like with the Stables, Village and Gardens. And if all module flavour text is being put into an array and pushed through a hook, then is there really any need for the translator engine any more? This would be sort of like the translator engine, but would allow the flavour text of any module to be changed by any other module.
This would be a major change to a fundamental way in which the game works, but it would open things up for thematic adjustments about as much as the Stamina system opened things up for gameplay adjustments.

I think it's fast becoming time to think about DragonBones - Improbable Island is so far away from LotGD right now that it makes sense to write the new engine for Season 3.

Profile Email Website
calliaphone
 Wednesday, January 13 2010 @ 01:41 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Ada

I like these ideas! They sound like fun.

yay, i think so too.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.65 seconds
New Topic Post Reply