Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 House Feedback!
 |  Printable Version
Chimental
 Saturday, February 20 2010 @ 01:19 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Rosin

Where oh where did my BullDozer go?

I did so adore that massive GEBoB, with his big shaggy coat and his wide grille of a mouth. I think they could be a drastic return here, for a variety of reasons. (Helping you carry loads of stone from the mountains, for instance. Or maybe just carrying around that toolbox while you carry 250kg of rock yourself.) I think this new Dwellings system opens up wonderful opportunities for this old mount of S1 and prior.

You make an excellent point there, Rosin. Adding the Bulldozer back to S2 would be a great addition to the Dwelling system.

And I'm not just saying that because I love that cyborg bull

Okay, that's a lie.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Saturday, February 20 2010 @ 01:26 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Bakemaster

I'm guessing that communication isn't included in "actions". But that's an assumption. I hope we won't be spending any significant amount of stamina to do things like browse through Shelia's for new stuff at the beginning of a DK... And personally, I'd wince at the thought of having to expend stamina to purchase or sell an item, as that's a cost that I'd have to pay several hundreds of times in the course of a healthy trade run! Though it would probably be only fair.

That's correct -- Stamina Actions for sensible, character-customizable things only, dudes and ladies. Wink Not trivial penalties to navigate Outposts or communicate with other players.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Saturday, February 20 2010 @ 01:49 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Gorbert

My initial problem, the only thing I've had issue with, is the limited number of plots per land. Yeah, there are rather a lot of spaces available. But I don't really want to walk several squares away from a outpost through jungle. 2616 squares? Yeah, that's a lot of building space. Most of it isn't very close to outposts, and I want my house to be easily accessible. I have no problem with the cost, stamina or cig, because the costs were outlandish in S1, too. It was something to work for. This, I understand and appreciate.

Having spoken civilly and plainly, it's pretty aggravating to me that I was greeted with antagonism.

Then you should have saved some cigarettes when it was announced that dwellings were on the horizon.

Or pawn some jewelry. Something like that. You can't blame the system for the fact that you lacked the foresight to plan ahead and maybe save up?

Like I've been bloody doing for about 800 in game days?

Don't complain about distance either. If you wanted it close to an outpost, then try reading above.

And if you're late? Well, Tough luck.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Saturday, February 20 2010 @ 03:44 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Once again. Just expressing my opinion. Not complaining, not angry. So I am a little incensed and confused about this hostility of yours, KK. I think it's perfectly reasonable for me to offer my opinion about this development without sneering remarks being directed my way.

Anyway. I think it would be perfectly reasonable that some squares have more plots than others. An outpost, for god's sake, is essentially a town. Towns have clusters of houses within them. Plains are pretty wide open and spacious, so a little more than four houses per plot would make sense. Hard to build a house in the middle of a lake, though. So maybe one plot (because this is Improbable Island--someone would try their damnedest to do this).

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Saturday, February 20 2010 @ 04:20 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

No, You were originally complaining about the rather steep price of a stake and the whole, "I'm worried about not getting a close spot."

I'm 'Incensed' because I saved up for a Hell of a long time. You could have as well, and this whole problem wouldn't be there, ay?

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, February 20 2010 @ 04:49 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

If you two are gonna argue, don't do it all over my hard drive.

Profile Email Website
Bakemaster
 Saturday, February 20 2010 @ 04:59 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've got this image in my head now of two tiny people with comically high-pitched voices spinning 'round and 'round on a platter with their hands around each other's throats.

So THAT'S what makes the grinding noise when a HDD goes tits-up!

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
Mister Rawr
 Saturday, February 20 2010 @ 05:05 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

So THAT'S what makes the grinding noise when a HDD goes tits-up!

They must ship as part of OEM hardware with all new HPs. I always wanted my very own miniature contestants!

*Berates self for tangenting on a high-use thread*

Bad me.

Profile Email
Jon Bishop
 Saturday, February 20 2010 @ 05:41 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ah, well. I guess I'll put my request here, then.

A thought about dropping wood and stone on the map: sometimes it can be a bit frustrating when you leave wood at your dwelling, only for someone else to steal it away and take it elsewhere.

Maybe have a "drop off" area at each dwelling? I could imagine it working somewhat similarly to the reck and cig storage that dwellings had in the first season. Everyone would be free to add supplies to that dwelling's storage, and are free to use the supplies in the storage to help build the dwelling. Now, if the owner of the dwelling wants to share their supplies, they could choose and option to share all supplies in their storage. If not, they could choose an option to disallow for people to take supplies in the storage. Of course, wood and stone could still be dropped on the map.

I'm not sure if that's somewhat of a greedy suggestion, as the fact that anyone can swipe your supplies away is all part of the risk of deciding to drop them off unguarded.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Saturday, February 20 2010 @ 05:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Right, sorry Dan.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
deema
 Saturday, February 20 2010 @ 05:57 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Jon+Bishop

A thought about dropping wood and stone on the map: sometimes it can be a bit frustrating when you leave wood at your dwelling, only for someone else to steal it away and take it elsewhere.

Maybe have a "drop off" area at each dwelling?

I second that. It's getting tiring to talk a clan member to stand on the plot holding 20+ logs and stones while I run to IC and back every day, slowly building up the place. I'd love to be able to store my materials at the house and to allow them to be used only to build the said house.

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Saturday, February 20 2010 @ 05:59 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Sorry, Dan. That wasn't my intention.

Profile Email
Rosin
 Saturday, February 20 2010 @ 07:26 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Both KK and Gorbert bring up good points.

Lakehouses!
Why not? Many cultures have some sort of stilt-house, and raft houses are not out of the question. Of course, stone would be iffy, but maybe you could harvest some nice floaty peat from the bogs around Squathole perhaps? Maybe you could just build the entire thing out of lots (and lots and lots and lots) of wood. Or maybe find some stone that floats, whatever, it is Improbable Island.

Prices and saving!
If I had known they were so close (or checked at all) I would've definitely saved up quite a bit, though I don't regret giving those ciggies to my clan no I don't. As for the high prices right now, I mentioned before how I definitely understand the stamina used to knock together a house, and if dwellings are even half as awesome as I think they'll be, then I have no doubt that it is well worth the cost in ciggies. (Used to be a mansion cost what? 110 cigs or summat? I'd venture to say that a one room shack now will be as awesome as those mansions used to be.)

Space.
Yes. There should be more spaces or less spaces due to terrain type, and as I said for suburbs or actually in cities there should be space aplenty (Especially around IC. By god, that entire plain will be covered in houses. It'll be a REAL SIZE CITY, GOODNESS.)

Ideal housing areas.
Yes, the 'good spots' right next to or over towns will fill up relatively quick with the 4 square unit. This means that we'll have the dreaded suburban sprawl somewhere, but that'd probably happen anyway right? Either avoiding that or joining it would be most peoples' decisions for housing, closer to towns the better for some. I, however, plan to build Rosin's house according to her personality. (That would normally mean a Nostalgic Building right atop IC, but more realistically, now that it's taken up, somewhere on a promontory in the jungle where she can see the city.) Likewise, I'd fully expected both Zolotisty and Sessine to immediately lay claim to the land surrounding AceHigh. (Fond memories of the Fastness' appearance, and tales of Tumbledown, come to mind.) And I'd expect that most of the more serious roleplayers will take this into closer consideration if they read this:

Where oh where would your character build? Oh where oh where would they beeeee? Oops. Sorry, singing.

By this, I mean, where is a significant place for your character? The riverside where she had her first kiss? The site of his first kill of the Tattoo Mutant? Does he value his environmental conditions over her route to town? Does she like the idea of a massive fortress stronghold deep in an impenetrable part of the jungle? Does it want to find an area where its brood can hunt and frolic and hunt more and joke around and cover entire trees with birds that have shifty eyes? (I'm looking at you, Chimental. One of you, anyhow.) Do your character and their spouse want a beach house? A mountainside retreat? Some place at the edge of the swamp so they can row out into the lake and just enjoy a nice day out on the water? Lots of stuff to consider before you just run out and go "MINE!"

Also, directly to KK, I fully expect the plot that you bought for yourself to be turned into a fully impregnable Victoria compound. The island would feel empty without one. Wink

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Saturday, February 20 2010 @ 08:51 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think it would be good to standardize Suzie's Tool Rental, if not land registry. Put a hardware store (rental) in every town, like Mike's Chop Shop. So if you're working on a project in AceHigh, you don't have to make the tedious (and stamina-consuming) trek to IC to renew your rentals.

Profile Email
Rosin
 Saturday, February 20 2010 @ 09:07 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

As Gorbert says, would make sense for tool distribution to be.. Distributed.

I'd like to think that carpentry tools would be easy to find in forrested areas such as AceHigh and Kittania, and the Robots definitely have some mining equipment up there, so why shouldn't they lend them for ciggs? The Midgets could probably even steal decorating kits, and Mutants would carry 'em standard. (Spruce up that house, but remember to cover that mirror with paint. There you are, a perfectly painted wall and nicely arranged pictureframes. No, there's not anything in them, what would the point be in that?)

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, February 20 2010 @ 09:24 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Observation: If everyone rushes to spend stamina on building, no-one is fighting the monsters, and outposts get overrun. Breached outposts cause big problems for builders.

It will be interesting to see how this one settles out.

Profile Email
theGhostWolfe
 Saturday, February 20 2010 @ 09:37 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I, for one, support the idea of making toolkits available in other cities. It doesn't have to be all of them, but I think that it would encourage players to build in the more out-of-the-way areas of the map, if the distance from IC wasn't such a major factor.

I'm thinking about this not so much from the difficulty or "fairness" aspect from the player's POV, but rather the encouragement enjoyable gaming.

/TGW

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, February 20 2010 @ 01:14 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

One consequence which I certainly hadn't foreseen. Lots of people have been piling up to CC404 with one-shots to harvest stone, piling straight out of the city gates and getting stuck in to the first piece of rock that they clap eyes on. The area directly out of the gates has now turned into an impromptu quarry with absolutely no regulations whatsoever.
Those health and safety executives are all having heart attacks! Wahay!! Mr. Green

In the rather longer term however, I have visions of so much rock being quarried, that in three or four months time there's just going to be a ruddy great hole there with one spike of rock sticking up with CC404 precariously balanced on top of it. Confused All it's going to take is for one rather unwise Midget to try taking a block out of the spike, and the results will be... interesting. He'll certainly have a hell of a headache in the morning.

Profile Email
Beeker
 Saturday, February 20 2010 @ 04:20 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Observation: If everyone rushes to spend stamina on building, no-one is fighting the monsters, and outposts get overrun. Breached outposts cause big problems for builders.

It will be interesting to see how this one settles out.

Onslaught can go hang. I've given up on it.

I don't try to save outposts that are breached, I don't try to keep them from being breached, nothing. Totally gave up. I had to: to be able to continue to enjoy the game, I made the decision that I have to ignore Onslaught completely. Which, by the way, is out of character for Beeker and so wasn't an easy decision for me. But, it was either that or stop playing.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, February 20 2010 @ 08:03 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I could give my experience of Onslaught, but that's a whole other topic, and I don't want to derail this thread. Is it time to open up discussion on this somewhere else?

Back on topic. Does anyone know, is it possible to build rooms in circles (so room A has a door going to room B, room B has a door going to room C and room C has a door going back to room A again?) If so, how do the locks work? You can stop people going from older rooms to newer rooms?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.73 seconds
New Topic Post Reply