Improbable Island's official browser recommendation
 |  Printable Version
K.K. Victoria
 Wednesday, March 31 2010 @ 03:04 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

For those of you on about it,

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

Yeah. Firefox, try one-upping Chrome now.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
talkydoor
 Wednesday, March 31 2010 @ 03:12 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Big Grin

Why thank you. Now I know who to bug every time I need anything

(referring to this forum obviously. I don't intend to turn up on KK's doorstep every time I have a problem. Hmm, or do I?)

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Wednesday, March 31 2010 @ 03:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Think you would've learned by now, Kai will eat whatever problem you present him.

"Kai, my laptop isn't working."
*Crunch*
"Now is no laptop for not work."

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Daedalus
 Saturday, April 10 2010 @ 07:50 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

OK ... what's going on ...

About two weeks ago, after a Firefox (FF) update, FF went all slow ... like incredibly slow. Not just on the Island, so I discounted that as a cause. On a couple of different sites I was typing faster than the text would appear, and I'm no speed typer ... ist .. thing. It was lag from hell. Pages would fail to load ... permitted pop ups wouldn't ... FF would just hang till I decided to force a close with task manager (TM). But ... as soon as I opened TM, the page would 'unhang' (?) and refresh. And it varied, consistently, across different sites. Some were not affected at all. I eventually realised that the pages affected were only the ones with user input options ... like chat spaces.

FF was clearly broken somewhere.

After a a week of this I noticed something ... when I opened TM, CPU usage was typically over 70%, sometimes at 100%, until I forced a close. So I opened FF, then TM. With FF idle, it was still using 50% .... on a blank home page. Nothing else was running. "Processes" showed it was all being used by FF.

What the ... ?

Reluctantly I opened MS vunera ... I mean Explorer. Problem gone. Crap .. the problem is in FF.

SO, I re-installed Chrome. Despite the white flashes between slow -ish reloads that I mentioned in my first post on this thread. Again, no resource issues.

For a week now I've been using Chrome on the Island. (Now that just sounds odd.) I realised that although, as I mentioned, it was slow -ish, at least it was consistent. The flashes are annoying, but ... I can deal with it.

Today ... on Island, Chrome is fast. Really fast. And no white flashes. I haven't changed any settings. BUT (there had to be one) every 20 or so actions (fight, search, move, etc) I get Chrome's "Oops ... Can't connect" screen. Refresh, and it goes back to normal ... for 20 or so actions.

I'm berry berry confused.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone with similar issues?

D.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Mister Rawr
 Saturday, April 10 2010 @ 01:51 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I had noticed that Chrome seems to be running very fast this morning. I'm quite happy with that. Perhaps it's my connection not acting up for once or something similar, but I'm having fun.

What I don't understand is why I suddenly have two MOTD bars at the top of my screens. All of a sudden they've just appeared there. Both appear to be functional... it's just... why two?

Strangeness.

Profile Email
skoddy
 Tuesday, April 13 2010 @ 12:59 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Yeah, as far as I noticed Chrome is faster, but I guess I'll stick to FF for a bit, well until they develop functioning flashblock for Chrome.

But thanks for making me reconsider re-installing Chrome again (I always wondered where those slow-downs with FF came from, thanks CJ) Wink

And now for something completely different...

Profile Email
Bakemaster
 Tuesday, April 13 2010 @ 03:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've lost the CSS in Chrome as of yesterday. Cleared my cache, history, temporary files, and no love. I don't want to clear cookies as I don't know how to selectively delete in Chrome, only to wipe them all, but I may have to do that. Anyone have advice?

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
Cousjava
 Friday, April 16 2010 @ 08:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I just want to say that I've got Chrome, but I'm probably going to get rid of it. It doesn't seem any better than IE8 in terms of speed, and even lacks some of its more advanced features. Then again, there could be more things to it I haven't found yet.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Binjali
 Saturday, April 17 2010 @ 03:29 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Bakemaster

I've lost the CSS in Chrome as of yesterday. Cleared my cache, history, temporary files, and no love. I don't want to clear cookies as I don't know how to selectively delete in Chrome, only to wipe them all, but I may have to do that. Anyone have advice?

To selectively delete cookies in Chrome:

Go to the 'wrench' menu. Select 'Options'. Go to tab 'Under the Hood'. Halfway down that menu are your 'Cookie settings:'. Click the 'Show cookies and website permissions' button. You can then select any cookie and hit the 'remove' button, or hit the 'remove all' button to do that.

Mr. Green

Profile Email
Bakemaster
 Saturday, April 17 2010 @ 07:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It's actually somewhere else in my version (4.1.249.1045) but I did find it. Thanks.

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
Binjali
 Saturday, April 17 2010 @ 07:55 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Bakemaster

It's actually somewhere else in my version (4.1.249.1045) but I did find it. Thanks.

Whoops. Oh well, you're welcome.

Profile Email
Xith
 Sunday, April 18 2010 @ 02:07 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

What I don't understand is why I suddenly have two MOTD bars at the top of my screens. All of a sudden they've just appeared there. Both appear to be functional... it's just... why two?

I still run IE (version 8, I think) and for the last week or so I have a double one also. I'm tempted to try google chrome after reading all these posts though. The main reason I still use IE is because I really dislike firefox, so I guess I'll give chrome a try.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.97 seconds
New Topic Post Reply