Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Background
 |  Printable Version
Bakemaster
 Monday, April 05 2010 @ 03:34 PM UTC (Read 3983 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

What do you have going on in the background when you play IIsland?

Do you multitask - do something else at the same time?

Do you play at work (while compiling, hopefully)?

Do you put on some music and just zone out while you mash that insult training button?

I'll go first: I'm at Maiko's with Enter The Magical Mystery Chambers on, a fantastic album-length Wu-Tang/Beatles mashup.

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
Mack
 Tuesday, April 06 2010 @ 06:21 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Usually jumping between the jungle, Maiko's, and chat with my music set to random. Or Daft Punk. Lots of Daft Punk. (Like LOTS.)

And running WCG of course. (Go go quad core!)

You can toast them, but it's dark magic. - MotPax on hotdog buns.

Profile Email
Chimental
 Tuesday, April 06 2010 @ 05:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've done everything with the Island in the background. Schoolwork, music, sometimes I split the screen and watch Mystery Science Theater with one eye while beating an Unlucky Bastard with the other.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
jamesb
 Tuesday, April 06 2010 @ 11:01 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I laugh, uncontrollably.

Profile Email
Bernard
 Tuesday, April 06 2010 @ 11:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Generally sirens and searchlights.

Profile Email
Skidge
 Wednesday, April 07 2010 @ 04:59 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have conversations in which it is very very clear that I am not fully paying attention to the conversation at hand, causing the people talking to me to become very, very irate and threaten to throw my computer out the window. Unless I'm at work, in which case I am merely threatened with a firing (but then, a day is considered ill-spent if I'm not threatened to be fired for SOME reason...become something of a joke, that has...)

I also chat and listen to music and futz around in Photoshop. I like the idea of watching a movie while grinding in Cuthbert's...might have to try that!

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Wednesday, April 07 2010 @ 06:47 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I multitask like there's no tomorrow. At least on the comp.
And this is without any sound on the computer so far [Speakers are kaput.]
Without sound it can be like this:
dA messages and occasionally submitting something [which is always in another tab separate from the messages]
iScribble chatting going on [which depends if you're drawing or not on how much attention needs paying attention to it] This can sometimes bump up to more than one tab if I'm busy with two rooms or something.
Island!
The occasional extra site that might be up, whether it's something I'm reading or using as a ref for any drawings. This varies in open tabs on the net. This might be e-mail or Twitter or FaceBook or anything.
Maybe a story in another window on the comp that I'll be working on.
Almost always a drawing/commission/sketchpage.
On the TV, I'll have a CD or DVD going for background noise, which requires any attention once it's over.
Then there's the critters in the house going crazy. Sometimes making food too, joo no.
Uhmmm occasionally an instant messenger window or two...or four.
Oh, and if Bob's playing IceDice, that's another tab for the random dice generator.
Another thing would be the dog I have to go chase out of the yard because the one neighbor is a bloody idiot and doesn't use leashes when he needs to.
Hohumm...and uhh if I'm multitasking accounts on here, throw a FireFox or one of Google Chrome's Incognito windows. [sometimes both if we're really goofing off!]

With sound? Add Youtube and or my Playlist into that same mix. The movie/TV/CD going on is give or take.

Figured I'd add my nerdiness to the mix. Razz

Profile Email
Derander
 Wednesday, April 07 2010 @ 07:12 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I mostly play at work.

When the scanner is running or I'm removing staples or waiting for work or should be working... *cough*

Profile Email
Zpatula
 Friday, April 09 2010 @ 11:10 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Metronome. Used to have a surf music set going on AOL radio, but 'timed fighting' came in and I'm stuck with a metronome. Wish timed fighting would go away...

I ATE PINEAPPLE!

Profile Email Website
Binjali
 Saturday, April 10 2010 @ 12:24 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Chatting (anywhere from one to several people, usually all Islanders), Island, something to read (Enquirer, Island logs, webcomics, sometimes something else). Uh, usually several somethings to read- I've got three up at the moment. When I'm researching something- recipes, for example- the tabs breed like Tribbles, but the chat and Island are pretty much permanent fixtures, no matter what else I'm doing.

As for things that aren't in the browser, I like audiobooks while I grind, music when I'm not, although when I'm really focusing on something I either have to repeat a small section of my collection or have silence. I also usually have Tomboy Notes up for random thoughts or when I'm writing something, and sometimes I have my text editor open because I'm editing Island logs...

I have a lot open at any given time, but I'm usually only really focusing on one or two things at a time. The more often I switch which things I'm focusing on, the more scattered I am and the less I actually get done, but the temptation of multiple tabs is hard to ignore!

Profile Email
tehdave
 Saturday, April 10 2010 @ 01:20 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zpatula

Metronome. Used to have a surf music set going on AOL radio, but 'timed fighting' came in and I'm stuck with a metronome. Wish timed fighting would go away...

You know...you could just find songs that you can do timed fighting to (I've found a couple) and listen to those whenever the 'timed fighting" matters (i.e. Magpie, Factory Bot, etc.)

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Saturday, April 10 2010 @ 01:52 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Lets see what i typically get; two social network tabsets, varying between one and, say, five tabs. One for the Island. One for the enquirer, with possibly a second if i'm updating a Wiki page. One music tab, contents may vary. One unused Google tab. One unused Wikipedia tab. One farmville tab (yes, i know, don't start.) one gmail tab. one to three comic/webnovel tabs. The Googles and Wiki's tend to go forth and multiply at unexpected moments...

Oh Chrome dear Chrome.. what would i do without you?

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Anonymous: lain
 Sunday, April 11 2010 @ 07:18 AM UTC  

Quote by: Chimental

I've done everything with the Island in the background. Schoolwork, music, sometimes I split the screen and watch Mystery Science Theater with one eye while beating an Unlucky Bastard with the other.

Eek! Have you been looking over my shoulder? I swear, as I read this, I'm watching Master Ninja 2.

monsterzero
 Sunday, April 11 2010 @ 07:37 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Chimental

...while beating an Unlucky Bastard with the other.

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

Profile Email
tehdave
 Tuesday, April 13 2010 @ 06:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

So, at home, I've got dual monitors, so I have II up on one screen, and either a movie or something else up on the other.

And no, I really don't need a dual monitor setup for work or anything, I just can.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
skoddy
 Thursday, April 15 2010 @ 10:12 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: jamesb

I laugh, uncontrollably.

Same here.

And now for something completely different...

Profile Email
Jonathan Barbie
 Tuesday, April 20 2010 @ 03:33 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I lurk this forum (at least, since I've joined it), another webcomic forum, and either NotAlwaysRight or My Life Is Average.

I'm just kinda annoyed how you can't open more than one window in II. I mean, it does make sense, but what if I want to look at everyone's bio all at once? D;

Profile Email
Xith
 Tuesday, April 20 2010 @ 03:40 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Yar. I lurk here too. Sometimes I have playlist.com open to listen to music, or youtube or something.

Profile Email
Jonathan Barbie
 Tuesday, April 20 2010 @ 03:58 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Ooh, yeah, music! I forgot to mention that. Yeah, I listen to music lots, especially when I'm in the Jungle.

Currently I've got Something Corporate on repeat. :3

Profile Email
Reverb
 Tuesday, April 20 2010 @ 12:50 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Jonathan+Barbie

I'm just kinda annoyed how you can't open more than one window in II. I mean, it does make sense, but what if I want to look at everyone's bio all at once? D;

Ah yes... the compulsive reflex to open every link you click in a new tab gets me every time.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.56 seconds
New Topic Post Reply