Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Top three problems with the Island
 |  Printable Version
Tyr
 Tuesday, April 27 2010 @ 07:24 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe
1) It's a bit too late to change this now without upsetting the game balance between people who were there at the start and people who weren't. It is a problem, yes, but there's nowt to be done about it right now, sorry. :-/
2) Wait 'til you see Ranks 8, 9, 10 and Bastard Rank. Mr. Green
3) The Titans don't automatically spawn right now (I spawn them manually). The concept is working just fine, but they're going down waaaay too easily. I'm gonna try to sort out some automatic difficulty adjustment before I flip the switch to have them auto-spawn. Shouldn't take long.[/p]

1. I hate level 1 with a passion, but I see it as coming with the territory of having a high DK count. And I am all in favor of balance.

2. This is all talky's fault, isn't it? (I thought rank 7 was easier than 6, but that's because I knew it was going to beat the stuffing out of me. Plus, I had a plasma gun for 7. And about 50 more dks.)

3. Look, I'm sorry. I didn't know that "To the Death" would actually work on a Titan. (I love Titans)

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, April 27 2010 @ 07:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I hope that the failboat is getting an extension, it sounds like it's going to need it. Big Grin

Profile Email
Zpatula
 Wednesday, April 28 2010 @ 01:39 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Zolotisty

(bawwwww)

This is all sorts of unproductive, I feel! Neutral Especially since "level one is too long" has been a topic for consideration elsewhere in the forum, and the other two topics are not so much "problems with the Island" as they are "Zpatula's personal Island irritations." Talk to talkydoor et al if you'd like tips on R7s. Wait a while if you want to see a dang Titan.

Just, generally: If you are going to whine, at least have the decency to counterbalance it with positives also?

I don't mean for this to be negative, and certainly not a whine -- just interested in how widely spread the perception of specific gameplay issues are.

* Yes, the loooooong level one has been discussed, but the annoyance continues. The new meat-filled monsters in Level 1 help a fair bit, but I still consider this to be my (yes, personal) island irritation. From what I can see, others aren't so annoyed by this. That's what I wanted to find out.

* My point about Level 7 is not that it is too hard, but that the difficulty step between L6 and L7 is rather large. Again, others do not appear to be bothered by this. Again, that's what I wanted to know.

* Glad to hear that the Titans will be back. Very disappointed to have missed them on the first pass. This wasn't a complaint, just a call for their return.

I love the Island. I'm here most every day. I contribute to the Island fund and recruit new players. Please don't call me a whiner.

- Zpatula

I ATE PINEAPPLE!

Profile Email Website
Binjali
 Wednesday, April 28 2010 @ 02:24 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

I hope that the failboat is getting an extension, it sounds like it's going to need it. Big Grin

I can see it now: deck chairs for miles. Tyr's cocoa booth opens up three new locations. More monsters in the Retraining Pits than on the entire Island. The Watcher undergoes mitosis and cytokinesis due to the pressure of all the extra Failies to process...

Profile Email
talkydoor
 Wednesday, April 28 2010 @ 08:27 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ooooh... (I can see this game taking years off my life)

3) The Titans don't automatically spawn right now (I spawn them manually). The concept is working just fine, but they're going down waaaay too easily. I'm gonna try to sort out some automatic difficulty adjustment before I flip the switch to have them auto-spawn. Shouldn't take long.

Glad to hear they're coming back. I, too, missed the first wave (something to do with those tricksy time zones) and have been in a sulk since. Plus I think my clan could use a mascot. If we can only confine it to just targeting rookies...

Profile Email
Chimental
 Wednesday, April 28 2010 @ 01:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: talkydoor

Glad to hear they're coming back. I, too, missed the first wave (something to do with those tricksy time zones) and have been in a sulk since. Plus I think my clan could use a mascot. If we can only confine it to just targeting rookies...

HeyheyheyheyHEY! You leave them alone. Newbloods are mine, you know that. Twisted Evil

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Bakemaster
 Wednesday, April 28 2010 @ 11:08 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I want a masterwork iron cage to put a Titan in.

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
tehdave
 Wednesday, April 28 2010 @ 11:18 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Bakemaster

I want a masterwork iron cage to put a Titan in.

That'll cost at least 50 more req than a standard iron cage, but it'll give you a +2 bonus...

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Xith
 Wednesday, April 28 2010 @ 11:40 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

If he gets a masterwork iron cage, then where's my +1 flaming Bastard Sword?

My top three frustrations:

1. A good portion of the Islands economy runs on crates, which aren't dropped when nobody's donating. Since donations are broken, everything's much more expensive, which is a little annoying when I wanna go buy grenades or medpacks. But oh well. I wish there was a small number dropped regardless, just to keep prices down a teeny...

2. Ace High is one of the more boring outposts in the game, IMO. Nothing different in any of the stores, no special food shop, only attraction is the cake, honestly. I'd love to see more unique stuff in Acehigh, or at least a new dialogue in the Chop Shop there? I think it still shares the exact same dialogue from the IC Chop Shop.

3. It'd be awesome if there was a way to implement weather. Mebbe it could effect stamina costs a teensy, give you a "Wind at your back" Increase to travel stamina efficiency when you move with the wind, or a small debuff if there's rain/blizzard/hurricane. Maybe even localized weather, where instead of "You think to yourself what a nice day it is" you might see some thunderclouds up ahead, and then move so ya can go around the storm. I'm kinda rambling, and I have no idea what this would take from a coding perspective, but it would go a long way to the games realism for me. Even on improbable island the weather's not gonna be perfectly the same every single day.

Meh, I love the island personally, and I honestly don't have many complaints. These are the only things I can really think of.

Profile Email
g_rock
 Wednesday, April 28 2010 @ 11:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Xith

Easy. Get a +1 flaming Bastard, melt 'im down, and forge a sword out of him.

Profile Email
Azhron
 Thursday, April 29 2010 @ 03:36 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

3. It'd be awesome if there was a way to implement weather. Mebbe it could effect stamina costs a teensy, give you a "Wind at your back" Increase to travel stamina efficiency when you move with the wind, or a small debuff if there's rain/blizzard/hurricane. Maybe even localized weather, where instead of "You think to yourself what a nice day it is" you might see some thunderclouds up ahead, and then move so ya can go around the storm. I'm kinda rambling, and I have no idea what this would take from a coding perspective, but it would go a long way to the games realism for me. Even on improbable island the weather's not gonna be perfectly the same every single day.

Ah, but this is Improbable Island. 'twould have to be rains of fish. Or frogs. Or bedsteads. Or MEEEEEAAAT!!

St. Elmo's Fire! On land!

Lightning striking three times in one place! And then doing a jig!!

Profile Email
Fergus
 Thursday, April 29 2010 @ 03:48 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I'm kinda rambling, and I have no idea what this would take from a coding perspective, but it would go a long way to the games realism for me. Even on improbable island the weather's not gonna be perfectly the same every single day.
In a land of midgets, jokers, budget horses and their 'tails', crazy jungle monsters, and Improbable Burny Fire, you're concerned about realism.

I totally agree that this would be a sweet idea, but the irony of looking for realism on II is something I had to point out. Mr. Green

Profile Email
Xith
 Thursday, April 29 2010 @ 03:48 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Yar, I was planning on writing up a monster submission for the lightning bit, actually. Ya know, how lightning supposedly never strikes the same spot twice. Except, since this is improbable island, it'l not only strike twice, it'll somehow strike 3.14 times, in the same spot.

Oh and realism: >.> It's obviously not real but, it'd make it more fun if it occasionally rained, like litterally cats and dogs.

Profile Email
Ada
 Thursday, April 29 2010 @ 11:41 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yar, I was planning on writing up a monster submission for the lightning bit, actually. Ya know, how lightning supposedly never strikes the same spot twice. Except, since this is improbable island, it'l not only strike twice, it'll somehow strike 3.14 times, in the same spot.

Oh and realism: >.> It's obviously not real but, it'd make it more fun if it occasionally rained, like litterally cats and dogs.

Free ammo refills for the cat launcher.

Profile Email
Kash
 Thursday, April 29 2010 @ 05:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Apparently we all had the lightning idea within twelve hours of each other... I was thinking about writing a monster submission for that too! Except that the lightning keeps striking the same spot on your body.

Profile Email
Jay Chaos
 Thursday, April 29 2010 @ 05:58 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Why, ooh, why do i want to try Rank Bastard so badly, even though i know my character will problably be erased by Failing excess?

Uh, looky, there's the link to the Hospital Tent... Hospital Tent attacks you with 'it doesn't matter, you're dead'.

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Thursday, April 29 2010 @ 07:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The weather already exists, even if it doesn't have any effect yet. See http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=weather in the wiki. Courtesy of The Proffesor and Forecaster Xith.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Bakemaster
 Friday, April 30 2010 @ 12:47 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: g_rock

I don't think there's any magma on the island, though...

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
Chimental
 Friday, April 30 2010 @ 01:08 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I wouldn't say that. There is a mountainous region. Could be a volcano somewhere in there.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Binjali
 Friday, April 30 2010 @ 04:15 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Chimental

I wouldn't say that. There is a mountainous region. Could be a volcano somewhere in there.

It isn't in the official records, of course, but there is indeed volcanic activity in the mountains. Ah, I wouldn't recommend going and investigating though, last time a pointy goat went looking, he didn't come back. >.>

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.70 seconds
New Topic Post Reply