Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 A Conspiracy of Players
 |  Printable Version
Count Sessine
 Friday, April 30 2010 @ 05:45 PM UTC (Read 8839 times)  
Forum Moderator

Project Wonderful is set up assuming that advertisers will bid competitively for advertising space. We're using the system for a different objective -- we just want to get a bit of money into the Island's PW account as quickly as possible so Dan can start telling other people again what a great place it is here.*

Well, that... and some of us may want to make Island-wide announcements, and also, the PW bid system is a lovely, lovely toy, just begging to be used in ways it was never intended to be used... Mr. Green

Which means that we might as well discuss our bid strategies here, plus things that we've learned about advertising through PW, so that we can have some fun while helping Dan get around PayPal's idiocy.

Ad design, first: After fiddling around, I found that borders are a real no-no. Very obtrusive. And because the placement jumps around on the page, it's not possible to fake Dan's subtly shaded background convincingly in a jpeg. What fits in most smoothly is a .png with a transparent background.

About bidding: What I've got in there can be a fallback when nobody else wants to get in. If anyone has an urgent announcement to make, about, say, a clan party or other special event, let me know, and I won't try to outbid you.

And... PW interface:
1. There are four regions. To communicate with everyone in the game who has ads turned on, you need to make a daily bid big enough to cover all four regions. As I write this, someone has outbid me in the US with another "Thank-you, Dan" ad, so their ad is being seen in the US, but players in Canada, Europe, and everywhere else are still seeing mine. That's fine if that's what you want to have happen; when you're trying to get a message out to everyone, though, you'll want to bid on all four regions.

2. To see what ad is currently being displayed in regions other than your own, you can click on the little "chain" icon under the site name "Improbable Island."
--
* I'm doing this instead of advertising the Island directly on other sites using the ad graphics Dan so kindly supplied, because I figure he's way better than I would be at targeting ads to pull in the kind of players we'd like to have.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Saturday, May 01 2010 @ 12:31 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

... and some of us may want to make Island-wide announcements, and also, the PW bid system is a lovely, lovely toy, just begging to be used in ways it was never intended to be used...

Oh, yes. Yes, indeed. That would be me playing.

...As I write this, someone has outbid me in the US with another "Thank-you, Dan" ad....

Yes, that would be me also, but since yours looked lots better, I took mine down.

Which brings up my lack of understanding of how these things work, of course. It appears to be REALLY EASY to set up an ad, which could lead to lots of fun (see your first quote above), but how does this affect how much req - er, money is taken in for Dan's well being? I certainly like to have fun, but I would much rather see our resident Caveman financially solvent. How else can I succeed in my bid to overthrow The Watcher?

Thank you.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, May 01 2010 @ 03:02 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Well, we could always bid each other up on price, which would get the money to him faster. PW is, of course, designed so that bidders never pay more to keep a slot than they have to. Which is fine if the objective is to get the best advertising deal for the least amount of money -- not so fine if the objective is to get a bit of cash into a particular publisher's pocket.

I've had my bids going in all four regions for a day and a half now, and so far I've managed to convey a whole... wait for it... $4.24...! Not exactly instant gratification. The more people compete for the slot, the higher the price per day goes, and the quicker Dan gets a reasonable stake that lets him advertise the Island.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Saturday, May 01 2010 @ 10:35 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ashtu

How else can I succeed in my bid to overthrow The Watcher?

Wait... you think you're actually.. oh dear goodness, you realy do, don't you? *snickers uncontrollably* Oh, no, i'm not laughing at you its just.. just.. heh. Aheheheh. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... *chuckle*

Right, where was i..

Sessine, perhaps lending out your advertisement image to others might be a good idea. few of us are skilled with graphical editing, and i suspect many are hesitant to take down your pretty picture for a doodle of their own. We'll technically all be posting the same ad, but PW doesn't realy need to know about that, does it?

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Saturday, May 01 2010 @ 01:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Reverb

Wait... you think you're actually.. oh dear goodness, you realy do, don't you? *snickers uncontrollably* Oh, no, i'm not laughing at you its just.. just.. heh. Aheheheh. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... *chuckle*

Quiet, you. Or there may be disembodied whispers about YOU in the near future. Oh, yes, i know all about that. Thought you'd buried it forever, didn't you? *evil leer*

Thank you.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, May 01 2010 @ 02:47 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Um, I don't know much about these things, but I know that EBay take a dim view of friends pushing up the bidding on their items up for sale, and in fact put quite some effort into stopping it happening, to the point of taking people to court if they're caught doing it.

Now Project Wonderful isn't EBay, but still, if it's set up so that you only pay enough to beat the second highest bidder, then that gives a dishonest incentive to bidding up on your own sites.

Now obviously no one here is suggesting dishonesty, but I can imagine that what's being talked about here might upset a few people. I really don't know, but it might be worth bearing in mind.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, May 01 2010 @ 04:42 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Sessine, perhaps lending out your advertisement image to others might be a good idea. few of us are skilled with graphical editing, and i suspect many are hesitant to take down your pretty picture for a doodle of their own. We'll technically all be posting the same ad, but PW doesn't realy need to know about that, does it?

Sure, I can do that... http://FastFreeFileHosting.com/file/37800/PW-Ad3-png.html

I've made my ad link to the Enquirer home page, and you could do the same. But make up your own mouse-over texts, okay? Let's have some variety...! You get 55 characters.
Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Um, I don't know much about these things, but I know that EBay take a dim view of friends pushing up the bidding on their items up for sale, and in fact put quite some effort into stopping it happening, to the point of taking people to court if they're caught doing it.

Now Project Wonderful isn't EBay, but still, if it's set up so that you only pay enough to beat the second highest bidder, then that gives a dishonest incentive to bidding up on your own sites.

Now obviously no one here is suggesting dishonesty, but I can imagine that what's being talked about here might upset a few people. I really don't know, but it might be worth bearing in mind.

A good point, one that had me biting my lip and going back to read their Terms of Service again. But it looks like they take a very different approach from eBay:

"You understand and agree that Project Wonderful acts as the venue for sellers to list items and buyers to bid on items in connection with Project Wonderful. Project Wonderful is not involved in the actual transaction between buyers and sellers. Project Wonderful does not screen or control users who may sell or bid on auction items, nor does Project Wonderful review or authenticate all auction listings or items offered for sale."

Their list of things you are not allowed to do with their service is... pretty much summed up by the Island's Rule One: Don't be a dick. We're not doing any of those things. We're just trying to prime the pump so Dan can go back to using their service as it was intended to be used.

Another point: eBay sometimes deals with huge amounts of money, which is an incentive to engage in fraud. They are pretty much forced to be a lot more paranoid than PW -- where the sums are measured in pennies.

So I think it's all right.

Edit: Oh, wait a minute, I just made the connection... Project Wonderful is also run by Ryan North of Dinosaur Comics, the same guy who helped Dan get through the period before his green card came through when he wasn't allowed to earn any income in the US, by funneling all Island donations to Doctors Without Borders. I am very sure he will not be giving Dan any hassle about this!

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Saturday, May 01 2010 @ 06:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ashtu is staring at Sessine with a look of wide-eyed innocence. "Who, me? I wouldn't do anything like that..... I mean, what? What are you talking about?"

"ducks behind banner ad for 24 hours"

Thank you.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, May 01 2010 @ 08:59 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Sessine grins pleasantly at Ashtu, who is "hiding" behind a mostly-transparent banner ad. "Indeed, you aren't doing anything... now. You'll have to try a bit harder than that."

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Sunday, May 02 2010 @ 04:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Sessine grins pleasantly at Ashtu, who is "hiding" behind a mostly-transparent banner ad. "Indeed, you aren't doing anything... now. You'll have to try a bit harder than that."

Awwwwwwww...... *sniffle*

Thank you.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, May 02 2010 @ 05:23 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Oh, good thought about the link, making it point directly at this forum topic; that way it'll explain itself! I'll change my ad to do the same thing.

Profile Email
Anonymous: The Anonymous Advertising Anonymator
 Sunday, May 02 2010 @ 05:46 PM UTC  

Oh, good thought about the link, making it point directly at this forum topic; that way it'll explain itself! I'll change my ad to do the same thing.

hehehehehehehe
Thank you.

Anonymous: The Anonymous Advertising Anonymator
 Sunday, May 02 2010 @ 09:10 PM UTC  

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Reverb
 Sunday, May 02 2010 @ 09:12 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

:makes funny faces at Ashtu's secret camera. She can, you know, because it's not secret here on the forums.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Sunday, May 02 2010 @ 09:24 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

:..... it's not secret here on the forums.

Now, what would be the fun in THAT?

Thank you.

Profile Email
Dulcibella
 Sunday, May 02 2010 @ 09:41 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I'm reminded of the rumblings in other areas of the Enquirer forums re: setting up bulletin boards in clan halls/council offices or somesuch. There was lots of talk about that with regard to outpost attacks/invasions. Now I come to find that we have a means to set up a big ol' banner for all (or all opting in, anyway) to see.

How quick of a response time is there to get a new ad out? Could this be information-bearing in real time, or at least as close to real time as sending a runner to other outposts to spread the word?

Ah, the possibilities...

Profile Email
Reverb
 Sunday, May 02 2010 @ 09:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Its supposedly instant, AFTER your first placed add, which has to be done manually (By CMJ, if i'm not mistaken.)

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, May 03 2010 @ 12:01 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Excuse me -- I do believe it's my turn now, for a bit.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Monday, May 03 2010 @ 12:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ah, me - where was that place?

Thank you.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Monday, May 03 2010 @ 01:41 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Dulcibella

How quick of a response time is there to get a new ad out? Could this be information-bearing in real time, or at least as close to real time as sending a runner to other outposts to spread the word?

hmmmmmm - Has anyone else played with it? Other than Sessine and me, that is? I'm personally not sure it's really suitable for what you're thinking of - you have to create a new ad each time, upload it and bid on it - with no guarantee that somebody else won't outbid you with a different ad. *glares good naturedly at Sessine* And while it's relatively inexpensive, relative is really relative.

That's my 50 cents, anyway.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.52 seconds
New Topic Post Reply