Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Spider kitty launcher - so much req, so much pain
 |  Printable Version
zamboni
 Saturday, May 22 2010 @ 02:41 AM UTC (Read 3974 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

So I killed a mess of titans, hunted a warehouse full of crates and finally saved up enough for a Spiderkitty Launcher with Integrated Chainsaw. I want my req back!

The spiderkitty launcher has the same problem as the nun-chuks; the "spiderkitty fail" buff somehow sneaks up on top of the spiderkitty launcher itself, so you end up hitting yourself in the face with 80% of the spiderkitties.

When I first bought/used it, roughly 80% of the kitties landed on target and 20% would hit me (if the monster survived the first 80%). However, after logging in for a new day, the failure buff is stacked higher than the spiderkitty buff:

SpiderKitty Launcher Fail

SpiderKitties and Fuel for the SpiderKitty Launcher with Chainsaw (495 rounds left)

I have no idea they stack this way - you can't even blame alphabetical order. The stacking makes the launcher 100% worthless though.

Even without stacking issues, for 650k req (which is after a 25% charm discount), you should be buying something pretty awesome. The elephant gun (or even a regular cat launcher) is vastly superior.

I'm going to petition as well, just to see if there's likely to be a fix sooner rather than later; if not, I'll just sell it back to Sheila for a HUGE loss.

Profile Email
zamboni
 Saturday, May 22 2010 @ 02:45 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Oh.. here are some typical turns:

http://www.improbableisland.com/forest.php?op=search&type=suicide&stam=suicide&c=21-034416
http://www.improbableisland.com/forest.php?op=search&type=suicide&stam=suicide&c=24-034455
http://www.improbableisland.com/forest.php?op=search&type=suicide&stam=suicide&c=27-034509

(I'm surviving right now because I'm only level 1 and can heal for free after each round - but it's a rk 7 dk, so that won't last long.)

Profile Email
zamboni
 Sunday, May 23 2010 @ 02:41 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Soo.. any chance on a reply? I know that many of you are probably busy with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdsL4kvp_I (boo hoo, he had 650k req to spend, poor guy), but it is very annoying from the point of view of someone who saved up only to find out that the item is completely worthless.

I'm optimistically holding on to it in the hopes that there will be a fix, but if there won't be, at least put me out of my misery!

Profile Email
Zpatula
 Monday, May 24 2010 @ 10:14 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Yes, the SKL plus CS is useless. It is useless for fighting Titans, it is useless for Jungle fighting, it is useless for ALMOST anything. Both it and the plain vanilla SKL do have one very interesting... erm... 'feature' that will allow the bearer to do something very odd indeed (hint: zero stamina). Other than just for the sake of oddity even that feature is useless.

Just add the SKL+CS to the pile of high-priced useless crap at Sheila's (Lacy Lingerie comes to mind) and move along.

But while I'm complaining:

...when does the Elephant Gun get it's full advertised 200 rounds of ammunition?!?!

I ATE PINEAPPLE!

Profile Email Website
Epaphus
 Tuesday, May 25 2010 @ 03:59 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I replied to Zamb's petition on this topic earlier. (Sometimes it takes us moderators a few days to answer all the petitions.) Just because something's expensive doesn't mean it's good--more power on the Island means more danger, and those darned spiderkitties are too unpredictable for their own good. I recommend a good face mask, or else their wriggly legs get in your eyes when the SKL misfires.

And y'know, I've tried just about every weapon but I've never tried the elephant launcher. I thought it only carried 50 rounds though? Am I misremembering?

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, May 25 2010 @ 04:49 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

You're right, Ep, it does say 50 rounds:

Special Abilities
Elephants for the Elephant Gun
50 Rounds
1 attack(s) maximum per round
1000 maximum damage per attack

But Zamboni's right, too. The writeup above that list reads:

"This highly Improbable weapon is outfitted with one of Professor Hawton's original dice used in his experiments. It's only the size of a pistol, but can hurl up to 200 elephants per day at the target of your choice. Yes, highly Improbable I know, but you've been on this island long enough to know the score."

Profile Email
zamboni
 Tuesday, May 25 2010 @ 07:08 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Epaphus

those darned spiderkitties are too unpredictable for their own good. I recommend a good face mask, or else their wriggly legs get in your eyes when the SKL misfires.

Hmm.. ok - then where's my Combat Helmet with anti-spiderkitty plexiglass face protector?
Mr. Green

As I noted in my original post, the main problem with the spiderkitty launcher and chainsaw chuks isn't the errant rounds that claw your eyes out or punch you in the face - it's the buff stacking order that makes those items 100% unusable.

There's a big difference between "risky to use" (buffs stack in right order, as they do on day 1 of purchase) and "worthless" (buffs flip order after day 1).

Profile Email
nude b
 Tuesday, May 25 2010 @ 10:37 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Count+Sessine

You're right, Ep, it does say 50 rounds:

Special Abilities
Elephants for the Elephant Gun
50 Rounds
1 attack(s) maximum per round
1000 maximum damage per attack

But Zamboni's right, too. The writeup above that list reads:

"This highly Improbable weapon is outfitted with one of Professor Hawton's original dice used in his experiments. It's only the size of a pistol, but can hurl up to 200 elephants per day at the target of your choice. Yes, highly Improbable I know, but you've been on this island long enough to know the score."

Ah, so it throws between 1 and 4 elephants per shot then?

Profile Email
Sloth
 Tuesday, May 25 2010 @ 07:41 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Yeah, I tried out the elephant gun then figured it can throw up to 200 elephants a day, but it runs out of those red guiding beacons after 50, so it doesn't. I mean, without the guiding beacons, who knows where the elephants would land?

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Tuesday, May 25 2010 @ 08:58 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That's an idea: when you fire an elephant after that, it appears in a random fight.

You deal 8 damage to Generic Monster!
Generic Monster tries to hit you but MISSES!
You hear a loud trumpetting sound, and an elphant lands on you with a plop, dealing you 50 damage!

Maybe I should have a go coding that. A good introductory module to the labs for me. Smile Or someone else.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Zpatula
 Wednesday, May 26 2010 @ 03:28 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I reverse-engineered the pricing structure for the armor, weapons, helmets, boots, and gauntlets. There are a few items that are miss-priced -- example: the Sun Gun is priced as if it gives an additional 25,000 stamina points per day when it actually takes away 25,000 stamina.

The Elephant Gun is correctly priced for 200 rounds of ammunition. It should only cost 167,875 req if it had 50 rounds. That's quite a difference -- 475,872 req overpriced!!

I ATE PINEAPPLE!

Profile Email Website
Kash
 Wednesday, May 26 2010 @ 04:28 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It is possible that I misunderstand the way the coding affects the outcome... but for the SKL+CS is it possible to make the "SpiderKitty Launcher Fail" round-based like the ammo is? As far as I understand the mechanics of buffs and debuffs, the permanent ones "gain seniority" over ones that are refreshed (such as Clan Buffs, various limited mount buffs, weapon rounds, etc.) which is why the Fail ends up on top of ammo: the ammo has to refreshed, and when it does it gets shoved to the back of the queue.

And given the prevalence of round-based buffs, I assume something like that would be easy to practically copypasta into the existing weapon mechanic, and similarly easy to ensure that it will only come into play after the ammo does.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, May 26 2010 @ 07:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Forgive me for being uneducated, but what are you on about? How do the two buffs on the spiderkitty launcher work? What do they both do? I broadly understand the concept of stacking buffs, something to do with a 5% buff (say) being multiplicative (Score x 1.05) or additive (Score + .05) but what is actually going on here?

Profile Email
Epaphus
 Wednesday, May 26 2010 @ 10:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zpatula

I reverse-engineered the pricing structure for the armor, weapons, helmets, boots, and gauntlets.

You have far too much free time on your hands.

Profile Email
Zpatula
 Thursday, May 27 2010 @ 01:44 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Zpatula

I reverse-engineered the pricing structure for the armor, weapons, helmets, boots, and gauntlets.

You have far too much free time on your hands.

I have an ulterior motive... Mr. Green

I ATE PINEAPPLE!

Profile Email Website
Epaphus
 Thursday, May 27 2010 @ 02:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ooo--Now things are getting interesting! Ulterior motives are fascinating. Come whisper in your beloved Uncle Epaphus' ear ... *
_____

* And I mean that in a completely non-creepy way. Of course I do. A little lower, please.

Profile Email
zamboni
 Thursday, May 27 2010 @ 04:05 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Forgive me for being uneducated, but what are you on about? How do the two buffs on the spiderkitty launcher work? What do they both do? I broadly understand the concept of stacking buffs, something to do with a 5% buff (say) being multiplicative (Score x 1.05) or additive (Score + .05) but what is actually going on here?

One buff is the spiderkitties for the launcher - it basically tracks how many rounds of feline death remain in the hopper.

The second buff is "Spiderkitty Fail". You see, the thing that makes spiderkitties great weapons is that they're mean. Unfortunately, they don't care to whom they're mean (unlike the trusty elephant, who reliably squashes your target), so there's a chance that a certain number of them will flip around in mid air and land on your face.

On the first day you purchase the launcher, the spiderkitty ammo buff is on top and roughly 70-90% of the kitties land on your enemy. However, because of the way the buffs are coded (ammo is rechargeable buff, fail is perma buff) and the way buffs stack (perma buffs on top, rechargeable buffs underneath), every subsequent day the spiderkitty fail buff triggers first, resulting in 60-75% of the spiderkitties landing on your face and the remainder hitting your target.

Further, even if only 50% of the kitties landed on target, if the ammo buff were first then you'd kill low hp enemies before you got clawed; but since the fail buff goes first, you often take 12 kitties in the face and your enemy dies to the first kitty that hits it.

So, if the stacking order were fixed, the launcher would still be dangerous (especially at high levels), but usable - risk vs reward would be somewhat balanced. With the current stacking order, the launcher is 100% unusable.

Profile Email
Booya
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 01:28 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I just recently tried out the SpiderKitty launcher, and I absolutely agree - It's entirely unusable, and very disappointing.

It would be great if Sheila's had a shooting range out back where you could test out weapons to see whether they're utterly useless.

Profile Email
Akogi
 Thursday, June 03 2010 @ 03:13 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Ooo--Now things are getting interesting! Ulterior motives are fascinating. Come whisper in your beloved Uncle Epaphus' ear ... *
_____

* And I mean that in a completely non-creepy way. Of course I do. A little lower, please.

Ephaphus, I think that would only work better if Benard did it. Though, I think you'd be the only one to get away with it.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.65 seconds
New Topic Post Reply