Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 discussion about the development poll
 |  Printable Version
nude b
 Thursday, May 27 2010 @ 03:13 AM UTC (Read 2245 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Features that let me tell a story or express myself (IE Housing addons, Public Notices and so on) (32 - 17.3%)

Features that make roleplaying with other players easier or more enjoyable (IE AJAX Chat, more and different ways to communicate, et cetera) (45 - 24.3%)

Features that make combat more exciting (new Mounts and Mount Accessories, new combat talents, special monster abilities and suchlike) (64 - 34.6%)

Features that better define the game world (time-sensitive Outpost descriptions like in Common Ground, more pubs, Museum pieces, more interesting flavour text in general) (37 - 20%)

Features that make competition between me and my friends more exciting (a better Actions hall-o'-fame, more features to let players compete against each other) (7 - 3.8%)

sigh As usual I think the poll is simplistic.

I think that compelling storytelling/roleplaying is the feature that cannot be replicated elsewhere. BUT, certain things aren't very helpful -- there are a lot of places that get about 5 posts/day. This doesn't help role-play or story -- unless they have a plot line involved. If there is a plot-line involved there needs to be some indication.
Each of these can help, but one should see how it helps in an overarching level. Perhaps you need more helpers for going through monsters and modules as thoser are probably time consuming.

I akso think there should be PC spawned events -- my character is trying to drumup support for the watcher's B-day party. He has the theory that If it's held in the failboat and is votd on the popular demand isprobable enough to land on her birthday. This event will involve a lot of other characters' interactions such a a poetry contest with each race having the priveledge to read her 1 poem via everbody's vote.
These PC sponsored events will give the world a realisticly unique feel -- I hoppe. Or everbody will ignore them, whatever.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, May 27 2010 @ 09:58 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well yes, but a poll is inevitably either going to be very simplistic, or be so complicated that it takes half an hour to complete and confuses the hell out of everyone. I think a quick rough and ready straw poll is probably best, together with somewhere that people can come and give more detailed feedback. Like here for example.

The nature of player spawned events is that, well, they're spawned by players. It's up to us to do these things. So what would help you organise more player spawned events then? That would seem to me to fall broadly into the first category. So vote there, and come and elaborate here.

Profile Email
Mari B
 Thursday, May 27 2010 @ 02:59 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I must be the only person who isn't focused on interacting with others. I'm a newb, so I don't know about all the activities available, but I really enjoyed the NewHome Museum artifact gathering. Slaying monsters for Dan the Bartender is nice, but since it takes so long to randomly come across any given monster it's easy to lose interest.

I just wish there were more individual projects to work on.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, May 27 2010 @ 05:08 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Mari B, perhaps the people who are less focused on interacting with others, don't interact with others so much. So you don't see them so much, they're probably still there though. You're probably speaking for a few more people than yourself here I would guess.

Profile Email
Epaphus
 Friday, May 28 2010 @ 02:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Mari+B

I must be the only person who isn't focused on interacting with others.

I think the game has a fair number of people, like myself too, who aren't focused on personal interaction. Heck, most of the time I'm too busy trying not get myself killed.

If I wanted interpersonal interaction, I'm step away from the computer and go talk to someone. But as the tee-shirt says, "I Hate Everyone."

Profile Email
Derander
 Friday, May 28 2010 @ 06:50 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I voted for the hall-o'-fame option (mainly 'cause I wanna see the average ranking thingamajig.) but now that I've thought about it some more, I wish I'd gone for the game-defining option.

Got a feeling that those would be enjoyed by the whole community, be they speedrunner, roleplayer, newbie or veteran. And I don't just say that because I've largely ignored the latest roleplaying (natter, whispering) or combat (cursing, targetted fighting) improvements. *cough*

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.50 seconds
New Topic Post Reply