Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Inventory contents
 |  Printable Version
Buddleia
 Sunday, June 20 2010 @ 01:25 PM UTC (Read 5325 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Would it be possible (or rather, easy to code) for us to be able to re-order the contents of backpacks and bandoliers? Moving item-types up or down the list? It would save a lot of scrolling when you're, say, using a dozen medkits after a fight, but they're at the bottom of the list. Or am I just being too lazy?

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Azhron
 Monday, June 21 2010 @ 12:32 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Buddleia

...am I just being too lazy?

Yep! Big Grin

But, then, so am I, so I support the idea if it could be coded.

Profile Email
bl0b
 Tuesday, June 22 2010 @ 12:49 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Or maybe an option to use/transfer a bunch of items at once?

Edit: If you very quickly hit on 'use this item' (or buy/sell/discard this item), you can use a few of them at once before site refreshes. That's because they all have the same url, or rather, they don't have action number in their url (which is, i guess, still from the times before stamina was used and everything took one action point).
But you can do some minor regrouping using bandolier and cooking up all tasty and average quality meat.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Tuesday, June 22 2010 @ 01:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

As much as I'd like something like this, I work around it just fine.
Plus it keeps my pack to a minimal of what I need, usually.

Oh, and that clicking it quick trick I have down to a friggin' science. Too fast and you'll blow right past usuing/moving stuff and might lag the game behind a click or two, then will wind up using something [say, an extra medpack you hadn't needed to heal on right then?]. To slow, and the page will load. I usually just count [for something like Imp bombs where it takes 6 to fill up the little pack], so it's like 'bing, bing, bing' all kinda quick. S'niiiiice.
I sekkretly love the quickclicktrick. Mr. Green

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, June 22 2010 @ 03:02 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: bl0b

...But you can do some minor regrouping using bandolier and cooking up all tasty and average quality meat.

You can use this to get your pack in any order you like. You empty everything into your bandolier and then re-pack your backpack. That is, transfer everything to your bandolier (well, except for the meat, but you're going to cook that), and transfer one of each item-type to your backpack in the order you want to see. Then put back the rest of the stuff.

Of course, this takes even more time than scrolling down...

What would be better than moving item-types up and down the list - because doing that would take a while, too - would be the ability to say, "Put this item-type on top of the stuff in my pack, where I can get at it easily."

That's what you're really asking for, isn't it, Buddleia? The ability to put whatever kind of item you're working with at the moment on top, so you don't have to keep delving down to the bottom every time.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Tuesday, June 22 2010 @ 06:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Um, yes, I think so. But, since now I know about the awesomeness of just clicking very fast, it's not needed! Thanks guys!

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
bl0b
 Wednesday, June 23 2010 @ 01:16 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Just to be anal here, count sessine. There are items you can't regroup using bandolier. Quite a few, actually.
All 3 meat types, both medpacks, both food items (energy drink and ration pack), nicotine gum and crate sniffer, so that makes 9* items in total you can't transfer, while I normally see only about 5 items without scrolling when looking at the inventory. That option to send an item to the top would really be awesome.

____
*Ok, normally you don't have all 9 of them in your backpack. But I always have all 3 meats there, so it's a bit annoying when I use the last of medkits, that was keeping the place, by accident.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Monday, July 26 2010 @ 12:19 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Reviving this old thread, now that we've got a third inventory section ... well, I'm far too addicted to the trains and cards and so on (see Compendium). I love collecting and trading.

But.

A great long list of cards, in the order they were found in, can be slow and confusing to sort through to see what you have got, whether you can do trades, if you've got what someone else is looking for. I've taken to clicking on a random person to get to the trade screen, copy-pasting the list into Notepad, and then sorting it by suit and number, so I can see at a glance what trading I can/should do. This process probably takes just as long as it would have taken me to just do my checking straight from the inventory. And every time I trade, and every time I find a card, I have to go back and look through them all and check it and update it. So, a stupid long workaround.

Assuming, from earlier posts, that it'd be more effort than it's worth to let you manually (or in Preferences, set a default?) reorder your inventories ... is it remotely feasable to have the cards auto-sort by suit and number, rather than by order of collection?

Profile Email Website
Ada
 Monday, July 26 2010 @ 05:34 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'd love it if I could order them in terms of how many I have: biggest sets at the top, single cards at the bottom.

Profile Email
zamboni
 Monday, July 26 2010 @ 09:11 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Reviving this old thread, now that we've got a third inventory section ... well, I'm far too addicted to the trains and cards and so on (see Compendium). I love collecting and trading.

But.

A great long list of cards, in the order they were found in, can be slow and confusing to sort through to see what you have got, whether you can do trades, if you've got what someone else is looking for. I've taken to clicking on a random person to get to the trade screen, copy-pasting the list into Notepad, and then sorting it by suit and number, so I can see at a glance what trading I can/should do. This process probably takes just as long as it would have taken me to just do my checking straight from the inventory. And every time I trade, and every time I find a card, I have to go back and look through them all and check it and update it. So, a stupid long workaround.

Assuming, from earlier posts, that it'd be more effort than it's worth to let you manually (or in Preferences, set a default?) reorder your inventories ... is it remotely feasable to have the cards auto-sort by suit and number, rather than by order of collection?

My vote is for auto-sort by order and number!

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Monday, July 26 2010 @ 11:08 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm with Ada. Biggest sets at the top. Perhaps jokers always at the top (or always at the bottom?) then in suit/number order. But having it just in suit/number order would be pretty good too.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Monday, July 26 2010 @ 12:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Agreed. any kind of order will do, realy.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, July 26 2010 @ 04:29 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Well, first. The code for trading cards now belongs to the Island -- which means it's CMJ's. I can suggest, like anyone else here, but he's the one who decides what happens with it from now on.

That said, we can still talk about what's practical. Changing the order of the card inventory display isn't entirely simple, because cards and other inventory items all use the same common code. Also, making a change there would mean you wouldn't be able to check the inventory to see what card you just picked up, as you can now. In hindsight, I really should have set it up to tell you which card you'd found at the time of finding! ...and I even know how I'd do that, but it'd need testing. Not so easy to change it now. Confused

It would be a lot easier to change the order of the displayed links in the trade screen to suit and rank.* Or -- sorting the resulting array of tradables by quantity and within that, rank would also be possible.** The question is, which would people rather see...?

Order A:
(1) Ace of Spades
(3) Four of Spades
(1) Two of Clubs
(1) Three of Diamonds
(4) Seven of Diamonds
(1) Eight of Diamonds
(2) Nine of Diamonds
(1) Three of Stars
(2) Joker!

-or-

Order B:
(4) Seven of Diamonds
(3) Four of Spades
(2) Nine of Diamonds
(2) Joker!
(1) Ace of Spades
(1) Two of Clubs
(1) Three of Diamonds
(1) Eight of Diamonds
(1) Three of Stars

--
* Order A would only take an "order by" clause added to the SELECT statement.
** Order B would use this: Sorting arrays.

Profile Email
Zpatula
 Monday, July 26 2010 @ 05:26 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I'd like a bit of 'Order A', please.

I ATE PINEAPPLE!

Profile Email Website
KimmyMonstah
 Monday, July 26 2010 @ 05:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A, prolly. 0:

Profile Email
Chimental
 Monday, July 26 2010 @ 05:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A is for Amsterdam. That's good enough for me!
A is for Amsterdam. That's good enough for me!
A is for Amsterdam. That's good enough for meee!
Oh Amster Amster Amster starts with A!

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Monday, July 26 2010 @ 10:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm going to change my mind here and go for A. Hope you don't think that I've left you in the lurch Ada.

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Monday, July 26 2010 @ 10:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm voting for A, obviously. Especially if we can have Jokers at the top. (And maybe even the suits in standard Bridge CDHS order? Oh stop nitpicking you silly person, shush and be grateful for any improvement.)

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Monday, July 26 2010 @ 10:57 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Also, making a change there would mean you wouldn't be able to check the inventory to see what card you just picked up, as you can now.

Not necessarily. If you pick up a copy of a card that you already have, then it will slot into that space rather than go in the top as a new item.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, July 26 2010 @ 11:43 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I'm voting for A, obviously. Especially if we can have Jokers at the top. (And maybe even the suits in standard Bridge CDHS order? Oh stop nitpicking you silly person, shush and be grateful for any improvement.)

Sorry, Buddleia, I'm afraid these Improbable cards are not much like a standard card deck. (Hard to play bridge without face cards...) Option A is Spades-Clubs-Diamonds-Hearts-Stars-Joker.

Option B would have a bit more flexibility -- but it seems everyone likes the simple option better anyway!

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.69 seconds
New Topic Post Reply