Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Let's talk about Dwellings some more.
 |  Printable Version
crashtestpilot
 Monday, July 12 2010 @ 05:41 PM UTC (Read 2305 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

In this thread, I hope to encapsulate some ongoing ideas with respect to:
a) Clan Hall Integration with Dwellings
b) Dwelling mobility
c) Solicit feedback & new ideas on these topics...

To that end:

1) What is awesome about Clan Halls?
a) They are omnipresent in every outpost.
b) They feature dynamic content (via MOTD/Clan Desc.)

2) Non-awesome traits of Clan Halls
a) They really only have ONE ROOM.
i) a consequence of this aspect is that, should leaders/officers choose to, say, have a meeting in clan halls, this is unnecessarily shared with the remainder of clan members.
ii) The workaround, of course, is to do everything via distraction. Which is cumbersome, owing to the absence of things like groups/friendlists/group email. We've worked around this to some degree at Improbably SWEET. But as Z points out, and I think accurately, to the degree we do stuff pertaining to II ELSEWHERE, this potentially detracts from the overall II experience. Took a while for that to settle in, but in the end, I agree with her. We are only engaging in workarounds, owing to feature deficit in II proper. No slam on CMJ who is a busy MFer contending with lots of RL issues, to wit: romance, finances, displacement, &tc.

3) Telescoping down to a usecase:
i) If a Clan, say SPICE, is making something awesome at (17,10 -- do come visit), and wishes to convene a private management meeting, then necessarily, all officers/leaders etc. must make a PILGRIMAGE to 17,10 in order to participate. This is not necessarily HARD to coordinate. But it is occasionally challenging, and introduces ADDED TIME to the ability to coordinate. It also CUTS OFF participation in said meeting owing to a) ppl being out of req, turns, stam, inclination or b) the whole timezone thing that plagues synchronous communications between players.

4)Disclaimers
i) I am well aware that not all dwellings (in fact, v. few of them) are Clan projects.
ii) That therefore clan/dwelling integration of any kind is likely an outlier when it comes to feature requests.

5) Assertions
i) Clans still possess the best existing communication infrastructure (clanmail, clan halls) for coordination of efforts on Dwellings. Witness Dunbernarding, and our own, rather more modest efforts at SPICE, which have pulled of a 25-room Dwelling with the input of perhaps 6 players.

6) Suggestions
i) It would be interesting if we could clone Clan Halls (MOTD/Clan Desc) at a Dwelling, such that input at a Dwelling would be fed to Clan Halls and vice versa.

Turning now to Dwelling Mobility:

1) This Thing Moves?
a) It would be fascinating if Dwellings had the ability to shift coordinates.
i) While this would no doubt make Syd Lexic pull his beard out, this would allow Dwellings to manifest themselves at new locations, drawing in new visitors who may not have run across them before. Owing to the Food System, there are clusters of players that camp in PV and K owing to the stam bonuses of local food options. To a lesser degree with SH, NP, which, candidly, are little better than fat-inducing ration packs by way of towns. Then there are the foodless zones (IC/AH/CC404), which are populated by questors, inveterate Jokers, ciggie hunters, and the Skronkys. NH remains an outlier, owing to cheap food, and it being the defacto new player crash site. As a consequence of the food/stam relationship, many dwellings are likely to remain unvisited, save by crate hunters, titanophagi, and wanderers who are not lost.
ii) Dwelling mobility would also permit new RP and interaction opportunities. To boil it down to a specific usecase, SAVOR's clan halls, have, for many months, been aboard an airship. To be able to construct an actual multi-roomed ship that moors and departs would be a great boon. Maybe it gets fueled by cigs, maybe by req -- I don't particularly care. But the idea of mobility to me adds a great deal of RPing opportunity.

Others have mentioned the notion of Howl's Moving Castle/Baba Yaga's Hut, and so on.

Put my two cents behind a dwelling mobility idea.

All best, and all for now,

~CTP

Profile Email
kireikatt
 Monday, July 12 2010 @ 05:50 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

as an aside to that, i'd be really really happy if you could access the clan hall from dwellings.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, July 12 2010 @ 06:44 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

From way, way back:

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Quote by: Ferryn

ohmanohmanohmanohman

I cannot wait for my tent i simply CANNOT WAIT.

Well, I actually can but you know what i mean.

ps: woooooooo!

Wait wait wait no tents yet. Dwellings first, then basing the Tents code off Dwellings once Dwellings have been thoroughly playtested.

At this rate, I see no reason why Dwellings can't be released by the end of next week.

Tents will be super-awesome when they arrive. Ask Z! Millions of times better than anyone is imagining!

So... the Dwellings we have now aren't ever going to be picking up stakes and going mobile? They are permanent features of the landscape -- and a good thing, too! That's how they were built and intended. But mobile structures are definitely there in the feature queue, and have been from the beginning.

Profile Email
Chimental
 Monday, July 12 2010 @ 07:25 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

From way, way back:

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Quote by: Ferryn

ohmanohmanohmanohman

I cannot wait for my tent i simply CANNOT WAIT.

Well, I actually can but you know what i mean.

ps: woooooooo!

Wait wait wait no tents yet. Dwellings first, then basing the Tents code off Dwellings once Dwellings have been thoroughly playtested.

At this rate, I see no reason why Dwellings can't be released by the end of next week.

Tents will be super-awesome when they arrive. Ask Z! Millions of times better than anyone is imagining!

So... the Dwellings we have now aren't ever going to be picking up stakes and going mobile? They are permanent features of the landscape -- and a good thing, too! That's how they were built and intended. But mobile structures are definitely there in the feature queue, and have been from the beginning.

And like always, I'm expecting the tents to fight alongside me, tap dance, and teach me the ways of the jedi with the hype I've heard, especially with the enthusiasm from Z. Though knowing CMJ and all the coders, I know I won't be disappointed.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Monday, July 12 2010 @ 09:39 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Chimental

And like always, I'm expecting the tents to fight alongside me, tap dance, and teach me the ways of the jedi with the hype I've heard, especially with the enthusiasm from Z. Though knowing CMJ and all the coders, I know I won't be disappointed.

tents TENTS tents TENTS tents TENTS..

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Monday, July 12 2010 @ 11:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zolotisty

trains trains trains trains trains trains --

Somebody really needs to check on Z. She's been getting awfully monosyllabic lately.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Akogi
 Tuesday, July 13 2010 @ 12:11 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Ashtu

Somebody really needs to check on Z. She's been getting awfully monosyllabic lately.

Not to let you down there Ashtu but.... she's been using multisyllabic words. Train-s and tent-s.
Though I'm more concerned about her recent fascination on only 1 word at a time.

Profile Email
Chimental
 Tuesday, July 13 2010 @ 12:40 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Akogi

Not to let you down there Ashtu but.... she's been using multisyllabic words. Train-s and tent-s.
Though I'm more concerned about her recent fascination on only 1 word at a time.

Akogi, I have no idea how you pronounce tents and trains, but according to the rhyming dictionary they're both one syllable. And since when does the internet ever lie?

And someone really should check up on Z. I can only imagine what else she'll react to in this manner.

'Hey, Z, got change for a dollar?'

'Cents cents cents cents cents cents'

'Honey what do you want for breakfast?'

'Grains grains grains grains grains grains'

'Rent's due.'

'Rent rent rent rent rent rent'

Edit: Also, when tents are given out, will Z freaking out be past tents? *Rimshot*

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Tuesday, July 13 2010 @ 05:54 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Silly leprechaun, /s/ can't be a syllabic unit! You'd need a liquid consonant like /l/ or a nasal consonant like /m, n/!

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
zamboni
 Tuesday, July 13 2010 @ 08:34 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Silly leprechaun, /s/ can't be a syllabic unit! You'd need a liquid consonant like /l/ or a nasal consonant like /m, n/!

Untrue! Just ask the middle earth grammar expert, gollum!

Spelling: tricky hobbits
Pronunciation: tricksy hobbitses!

So, we have:

tentses and trainses.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Tuesday, July 13 2010 @ 12:58 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

But /sɪz, sɛz/ is different than /s/! It's not untrue at all!

*summarily hooked off stage by gigantic shepherd's crook, receives stern lecture from Epaphus (and Skidge, come to think of it) about pedanting at the contestants*

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Tuesday, July 13 2010 @ 01:07 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

On the bright side, she's being polysylabic again.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, July 22 2010 @ 02:13 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Been meaning to reply to this for a while CTP, just didn't have much useful to say. So, I agree that having a MoTD style gadget that you could install for a suitable cost would be rather nice.

As a side idea, would it be possible to have time sensitive descriptions like you have in the commons? I think a few people would like that, in the right places. I'm thinking beach houses which overlook the sea in particular, but I'm sure that some people would start doing creative things with them. You'd have to do the decorating work for all the different descriptions, obviously, and pay something or other for the priviledge. Would this be relatively easy?

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Thursday, July 22 2010 @ 04:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

@Hairy Mary:

First, thanks for seconding the MOTD style Desc idea.
Second, DAMN! Time-sensitive descriptions would be COMPLETELY made of WIN.
It's such a good idea, I'm really quite annoyed that it didn't occur to me first.
Having said that, let me second your motion. That's really quite an awesome idea.

All best,

~CTP

Profile Email
Onigiri
 Friday, July 23 2010 @ 04:59 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

As a side idea, would it be possible to have time sensitive descriptions like you have in the commons? I think a few people would like that, in the right places. I'm thinking beach houses which overlook the sea in particular, but I'm sure that some people would start doing creative things with them. You'd have to do the decorating work for all the different descriptions, obviously, and pay something or other for the priviledge. Would this be relatively easy?

YES PLEASE! I would love having that! I can already think of....well all of my rooms could use that!

You see, there are Librarians and then there are Librarians.

Profile Email
Mack
 Friday, July 23 2010 @ 05:25 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I agree completely. And as one of those with a beach house, I'd love love to have time sensitive descriptions.

You can toast them, but it's dark magic. - MotPax on hotdog buns.

Profile Email
ByteKing
 Wednesday, July 28 2010 @ 03:45 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I'd like to third, fourth or fifth the idea of Time-sensitive descriptions.

And why limit the MotD to just clan dwellings? I can name a number of dwellings, my own included, where having a way to spread news about parties, events, or just in-character warnings would be a wonderful thing to have.

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Wednesday, July 28 2010 @ 05:47 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just to clarify, I wasn't speaking exclusively of clan dwellings.
I support the idea of a modifiable MOTD in any dwelling.
It's just that my dwellings are clan dwellings, because that's all I really have time for.
So let me second your idea which fifths or sixths mine. Smile

~CTP

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.56 seconds
New Topic Post Reply