Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Reading the boards and missing lines
 |  Printable Version
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, July 20 2010 @ 07:33 AM UTC (Read 1605 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

There's one, relatively trivial, niggle that's been annoying me.

When you're reading someone else's scene, either because you want to join in, or because you're enjoying reading it, you often go back several pages to the start. Suppose, for the sake of concreteness and ease of understanding, that the page number is currently 22, but that the scene you're reading starts on page 15. So you go back, find where it starts, and read pg 15. Then you click to go to pg 16. BUT, in the time that it's taken you to read pg 15, one or two comments have been posted, causing the whole board to shuffle up, and so what were the first one or two lines on pg 16 have now become the last lines on pg 15. And so you miss them out, and things suddenly stop making any sense.

Well it doesn't take this to happen too many times before you realise what's going on. So you go to pg 16 and then back again to check, then forward again, which is, to be honest, a hassle.

So. Can I suggest two possible improvements. Normal caveats apply, I don't have a clue about programming, and these might be technically impossible for all I know. If so, then sorry.

Either.

1) Let us refresh the page that you're actually on. At the moment you can change to a new page, or you can refresh the last page. (page 22) in the above example, but you can't directly refresh pg 15. You can only go to another page and back again.

Or, what I'd prefer.

2) Let the pages overlap slightly. So that the first two (three?) comments on pg16 are the last two comments on pg15.

If these are both really hard things to do, then apologies. It's not a massive hassle, just an annoyance.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, July 20 2010 @ 07:52 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

1) Let us refresh the page that you're actually on. At the moment you can change to a new page, or you can refresh the last page. (page 22) in the above example, but you can't directly refresh pg 15. You can only go to another page and back again.

Granted.

Also unclosed italics can no longer break the page.

Also italics now work properly in preview.

Also applying datacaching to the first page of commentary results means that there's no database lookup necessary when people are just passing through towns without looking at commentary, which results in a significant performance improvement.

You're welcome. Now give me money. Mr. Green

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, July 20 2010 @ 08:20 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Wow, that was quick! Nice one.

Also, italics working in preview is rather good news, and improved speed is always a good thing.

Money coming up soon. Big Grin (Not much I'm afraid, I'm poor, but some, certainly.)

Profile Email
Mr Geppetto
 Tuesday, July 20 2010 @ 08:58 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Oh, CMJ, you're awesome!
And thanks, HM, for raising that, it was bugging me for quite a while.
And italics work in preview, who-hoo! And they no longer break the whole thing! And you have that nifty little line showing above the grem-able comment! (if that's what it's for, anyway it looks cool) Awesome!

PS CMJ, did I mention you are awesome?

Profile Email
Ada
 Wednesday, July 21 2010 @ 01:13 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

If that line is supposed to indicate GREM-able comments, it's not quite working as it ought. A few times I've seen it at the top of a page, even if that top line was a day stale.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Escemfer
 Wednesday, July 21 2010 @ 01:32 AM UTC  

I think the line shows the newest comments on page refresh, which will be really handy for fast-moving scenes or busy locations. Nice improvements, CMJ, thanks! Mr. Green

Sydney Fletcher
 Wednesday, July 21 2010 @ 01:32 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I've been assuming the line serves as a marker to show you what was the last comment before you refreshed the page. Sort of intended to make it easier to see who all replied in the time that you were writing/hitting refresh. If a whole page was written, the bar is at the top, and if nothing was written, there isn't a bar.

EDIT: Ack, ninja'd!

Profile Email
Ada
 Wednesday, July 21 2010 @ 03:10 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, if that's it, it's still not working right. I just walked into a scene and had the bar show up just over the last comment in GREM range, but I hadn't read any of the scene before at all.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, July 21 2010 @ 03:11 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

It'll not save the last positions of every chat space, is the thing. Very useful if you're not moving around a lot. I'll see if I can sort out some kind of multi-space memory for it, but I can't promise anything.

Profile Email Website
Ada
 Wednesday, July 21 2010 @ 01:12 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh, that's not at all what I meant, sorry!
I happened to walk into Improbable Central, and a scene was going on there. The very first time I went there, the new-chat line was about two dialog-lines up the page. But I hadn't even been in IC since the change, and didn't refresh the page before reading. I certainly hadn't read the stuff above or below the line. So I'm not sure what prompted the bar to show up at all.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.83 seconds
New Topic Post Reply