Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Crate feature request
 |  Printable Version
Silcatra
 Saturday, August 21 2010 @ 12:38 PM UTC (Read 1222 times)  
Forum Contender
Contender

Okay, so finding crates is fun and exciting, because the extra req means you can get equipped faster and better, get out there and do stuff without feeling too vulnerable to whatever rank you're running up against. It's great to start out a seven with your weapon and armor of choice and watch the lower level monsters fall to your AWESOME MIGHT AND GLORY[/b]. I'm not complaining about crates, not in the least.

Buuuuut...if I'm hunting for the drive, or even if I've had a good time crate hunting and don't need the money, I feel really, really bad that I just took a crate filled with goodies that someone else who could have used it could have found. Or, when Drive Hunting, that I found one now instead of in five minutes after I've put that thing in its place again.

So I was wondering if there could be a feature where you could choose to bypass a crate? Either on a crate by crate basis (You found a box with a parachute attached! Pry open y/n?) or something in your user control options that you turn off and on to choose to ignore crates.

I see pros and cons to each option. For the crate by crate basis, it could be cheating if you find one and tell your friend "Hey, there's a crate on square X,Y, go get it." But there isn't a way to stop that. However, it's impossible to forget to turn back off.

For the second option, the choose to ignore them from your control panel, it wouldn't be very hard to forget to go back in there to turn it back off after you've DKed and could use the req, which could lead to massive amounts of frustration. But it also means that everyone else has a chance to find crates without having some Joker on a good travel day telling his or her buddies how to get rich quick.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, August 21 2010 @ 01:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

First of all, something like that has already been mentioned here, although the idea of having it as a preference setting wasn't mentioned there. There's quite a few people in general agreement with you.

Second, yes I personally am one of those in agreement with you. I seem to be far more likely to find a crate when I have little or no use for one, and it would be nice to leave it for someone else.

Lastly, as a modification to the preferences idea, what about a 'ignore crates until after your next DK' preference option? That would avoid the 'why aren't I finding any crates? Oh I've spent the last fortnight with the option turned off' scenario.

Profile Email
Kash
 Sunday, August 22 2010 @ 02:29 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Silcatra

For the crate by crate basis, it could be cheating if you find one and tell your friend "Hey, there's a crate on square X,Y, go get it."

I don't think it would be at all. Comparing to real life: if you're driving around town and find an awesome old couch that someone has set out in the alley for the garbage men to perform upon as per their profession, then you can choose not to try to carry it home on your moped and instead go tell your friend who does not have an awesome old couch (but maybe does have a truck!) "hey, I saw this couch being thrown out, you should go... steal? it."
BUT
at the same time there may be any number of other people who also drove by, saw the awesome old couch, and proceeded to inform their truck-wielding friends about it... so the first person who gets their with their tailgate down gets to claim the couch.

On another front, this would prevent the Traveling-And-Suddenly-Destaminate effect that sometimes happens to people with small backpacks if they don't pay much attention while traveling. I tend to pick up a lot of stuff while traveling and not notice until days later, sometimes.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Sunday, August 22 2010 @ 04:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Kash

I tend to pick up a lot of stuff while traveling and not notice until days later, sometimes.

Yeah, that's me. Wandering and wondering why my stam is dropping so fast - then notice the top line about "overloaded backpack"...... and miles from any outpost to sell it off......

Thank you.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.43 seconds
New Topic Post Reply