Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Trains, Cards, and Dwellings
 |  Printable Version
Kel!
 Friday, August 27 2010 @ 11:13 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Miss+Hellebore

Something Improbable!

You were walking around the jungle, minding your own business, when BAM! KAPLOW! Hit by a train.

Shit luck, friend.

Frown

Big Grin

I do *so* vote this one in!

Big Grin

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, August 28 2010 @ 12:47 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Count+Sessine

I hope will be an integrated whole that makes trains more exciting.

Something Improbable!

You were walking around the jungle, minding your own business, when BAM! KAPLOW! Hit by a train.

Shit luck, friend.

Frown

Granted retroactively! Mr. Green
You have encountered Oncoming Train which lunges at you with mass and acceleration!

Profile Email
Miss Hellebore
 Saturday, August 28 2010 @ 12:50 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Something Improbable!

Shit luck, friend.

Frown

You have encountered Oncoming Train which lunges at you with mass and acceleration!

Well played.

Profile Email
Paul Lo
 Saturday, August 28 2010 @ 03:02 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I so want to know what happens if you beat it.

Twisted Evil *Selected railroad sector temporarily shut down*

Yes, I have a dream, of electronic sheeps and linen bedsheets. But that's not the point. Or isn't it?

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Saturday, August 28 2010 @ 03:03 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hey, Crash here, with another g******ned idea.

How about your very own II deck? Complete with smokin' Dan jokers, and five, that's right, five suits?
And then some kind of wonderful logo on the back with the II URL?

What would you pay for such an item?

Can you imagine what others would say if they found you playing solitaire with (gasp!) five lovely suits?

Well, I just looked it up, and there are multiple site that will do custom card printing.

Seems like it would be a nice collateral item that devotees of the Island would want, and with the right mark-up, would also turn into a splendid revenue generator for Mr. Dan.

Here's a link:http://www.yourplayingcards.com/pricing_and_payment_methods.php

Seems like an order for 100 decks would probably go quickly -- Dan (or others!) would front around $880, and a price point of around $15 wouldn't hurt people too much, and allow Dan to double his investment.

And Dan already has the artwork for the card made...so all he'd have to do would be to upload it.

If it's wildly successful, more could always be ordered.

I know I'd buy one or more.

Just saying. I think the key challenge is to make the back design TIGHT, and ensure that the front of the cards displays the requisite weathering. It could even be a trick deck...

~CTP

Profile Email
Alik
 Saturday, August 28 2010 @ 05:55 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: crashtestpilot

-card idea-
~CTP

This deck would make for an interesting game of a%#hole.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Relevance
 Sunday, August 29 2010 @ 01:39 AM UTC  

I have to say - I really, really like Bakemaster's suggestion for getting passes/other items. It makes getting them a bit harder and adds a bit more surprise into the whole deal.

This could be explained IC by exchanging your cards with the ticket machines (which I have seen in a station or two) instead of the station master. At times, it could malfunction and instead spit out req or cigs that silly people have tried to pay with or occasionally, if you have really bad luck, eat a few cards entirely.

I also like the idea of adding new events - midget train robbery = awesome. Perhaps falling asleep on the train also and having some req or a cig stolen? Crying babies or children/midgets kicking your chair causing stam loss? Having a mutant sit next to you would be so horrendous as to force you to get off the train at a random point, rather than risk wanting to gouge out your eyes/ears? Getting into a fight with a train bum or some scrappy youth and then winning cigs or cards?

And about dwellings and card drops:

As it stands, will card drops be added to secret rooms and their extensions? Or have they already been? I'm not sure how many dwellings as of now have secret rooms, but it would, I think, encourage exploration.

And along those lines, would it be possible to stick the command tags onto card finding? For example - typing in "SEARCH DRAWER" or "EXAMINE BOOK" in a specific room would yield a card instead of leading to a secret room.

Also, letting cards stay in one room, but adding a chance of not finding the card itself? Having flavor text along the lines of "What luck! You find a smudged, battered old playing card - ! Oh, nevermind, it's just an old business card/scrap of paper/useless cardboard." or maybe "What bad luck! You find a smudged, battered old playing card etc. etc. but it's all torn up! This is worthless to a collector. You throw the useless card away in disgust."

I have no idea if any of this is feasible along a coding standpoint - they are just some suggestions.

Alik
 Sunday, August 29 2010 @ 03:34 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Relevance

...if you have really bad luck, eat a few cards entirely.

I'm at 170-something cards now... I think poor Alik would cry tears of hydraulic fluid if a machine ate up all his cards.

Quote by: Relevance

And along those lines, would it be possible to stick the command tags onto card finding? For example - typing in "SEARCH DRAWER" or "EXAMINE BOOK" in a specific room would yield a card instead of leading to a secret room.

Just because it adds a room, doesn't mean it has to be a room. you can build it so that typing 'EXAMINE BOOK' bring you to something like;

"You walk over to the book lying on the table. You carefully run your hand over the cover and, though the ink has faded over time, the embossed title still reads as clearly as the day it was published. "Twilight?", you think to yourself, "But I thought the military burned all the copies of this along with that terrible author back in 2011." Clearly you are mistaken and now hold what's now known as one of the most poorly written book in known history. "Ohh come now, it can't be that bad, I mean someone had to have published it.", you reason with yourself to take a look, I mean, it's not everyday that you get to read such a rare specimen of literature, even if it's notoriety is due to it's complete lack of taste. You decide to flip through it.

An hour later your mind has been shattered. "He's 107 and STILL a virgin? And how come she enjoys being stalked? Wha- Ohh dear Jesus H. Christ!" A wave of nausea hits you and the book falls out of your hands and back onto the table. You decide that you've had enough of this for today.

What luck! You notice a smudged, battered old playing card has fallen out from in between the pages of the book as it fell. You've heard these can be worth quite a bit to a collector and you grab it whilst making the best attempt and not looking directly at the the novel, lest you receive another wave of nausea."

Profile Email
Onigiri
 Sunday, August 29 2010 @ 03:37 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

What luck! You notice a smudged, battered old playing card has fallen out from in between the pages of the book as it fell. You've heard these can be worth quite a bit to a collector and you grab it whilst making the best attempt and not looking directly at the the novel, lest you receive another wave of nausea."[/p]

Alik......You sir, are a revolutionary and a gentleman.

You see, there are Librarians and then there are Librarians.

Profile Email
Harris
 Monday, August 30 2010 @ 06:18 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh please, Powers- DO add this. Somehow!

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Monday, August 30 2010 @ 05:05 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Something Improbable!

Shit luck, friend.

Frown

Actually, I wrote that one completely without realizing all the train stuff that was going into the game at the time. >.> I was just relivin' the days of silent films...

Profile Email
Anonymous: Mr Roivas
 Thursday, September 02 2010 @ 11:58 AM UTC  

What I would really like is a method of sorting the cards.
it's pretty awkward at the moment to keep my card list up to date for trading as new cards just get added at the bottom of the pack.
if it could be ordered by number and suite that would be awesome.

just my tuppence really.

Anonymous: Haven
 Sunday, September 05 2010 @ 05:10 AM UTC  

Alright.

I know I am proving myself a clueless waste of kidneys by asking this question but:

What on earth are these card-things? I got a message whilst wandering the wilds of the Island but noticed it too late and pressed Continue before I could properly read it so I am still in the dark.

Miss Hellebore
 Sunday, September 05 2010 @ 09:50 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=18&showtopic=15883

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.99 seconds
New Topic Post Reply