Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Mac users: Copy paste with ease!
 |  Printable Version
Syd Lexic
 Saturday, September 04 2010 @ 04:21 PM UTC (Read 1978 times)  
Forum Contender
Contender

It's been mentioned before; since Mac uses command+C to copy, and the Island doesn't look for command+*, hitting command+C does whatever hitting C would do, if anything. I know someone else posted a snippet of code to remedy that, but I have found a simpler solution.

Mac has a setting that allows you to swap around the modifier keys.

Just go into system preferences and select "Keyboard & Mouse"

Then click "Modifier Keys..."

And then just swap 'em out!

As a long time PC user (My computer was stolen, so I use my wife's older MacBook), it's nice to have my ctrl+* shortcuts back. Sorry if this was a non-issue, I was just too lazy to continue selecting "Copy" from the drop down menu.

Feel free to lambaste me for my ignorance at your leisure. Cheers!

~Syd

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, September 04 2010 @ 04:41 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

That would be useful for someone who only ever uses the Mac to play the Island, but as a general solution for Mac users... um. The Command and Control keys are required by a lot of programs. Switching the two would cause many more problems than it would solve.

It would be like swapping the Control and Alt keys on a PC.

I'm glad you've found something that works for you, but that snippet of code is what's needed to fix the bug.

--
Edit: Since that much-to-be-desired 'code snippet' is buried DEEP in the huge "I'd like to report a bug" thread where it is very hard to find, I'm going to quote it here:

Quote by: NUXI

URL: All Of Them

Description: Firefox (and Safari) keyboard shortcuts cause game activity on OSX because the Command (aka meta) key isn't masked off by the Javascript like it is for Alt and Ctrl.

I hit Command+T for a new tab and ended up traveling and almost getting killed because im exhausted, luckily I had grenades.

I made a patch that adds this key to the mask:
http://vault24.org/~nuxi/meta.diff

It works. I have tested it in my localhost copy of the game. It is a very simple change to add the Mac's metaKey in parallel with the PC's altKey and ctrlKey. And fixing the bug at the source is hell of a lot better than expecting every player with a Mac to fiddle around with their modifier keys.

Profile Email
Syd Lexic
 Saturday, September 04 2010 @ 06:13 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I apologize. I have no coding experience, and it was easy enough for me to just use different keystrokes until such time as the game recognized the command key. I've been using Mac for everything and it hasn't caused a problem so far. Just takes an extra half second of thought at the keyboard, which is something most of us could use occasionally anyway (I know I could).

Is that code something I would do something with? Or does it go in the actual game code?

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, September 04 2010 @ 10:59 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Sorry, I over-reacted, there -- I'm the one who owes the apology. It was the idea of re-wiring all my Photoshop keyboard reflexes that made me shudder!

The correction has to go into the actual game code, which is wrong. It's not something either of us can fix! Frown

As a matter of fact, this is a bug that affects all players using a Mac in every LotGD-based browser game, so it really ought to be changed right in the DragonPrime core code and propagated from there. Failing that, though... it could be fixed in the Island code very easily.

Profile Email
Syd Lexic
 Sunday, September 05 2010 @ 01:11 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Oh man... I forgot about Photoshop... YEESH. I actually haven't been as quick with Photoshop because I haven't re-learned all the hotkeys. I suppose it wouldn't be a huge issue to swap em back and forth for Photoshop use in the meantime... this was kind of a stopgap measure anyway.

[puppydog eyes]How much effort would it be for Dan to stick that little code bite in?[/puppydog eyes]

Plus, I did invite a lambasting. Asked for it, even.

Cheers,
~Syd

Profile Email
bl0b
 Sunday, September 05 2010 @ 03:43 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

My trail of thought was "Why don't you just right-click and select... Right."
There's a way to do 'right click' in mac as well though, if I understand right. Control-click or something like that.

Profile Email
Bakemaster
 Sunday, September 05 2010 @ 03:51 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That, or you just... buy a mouse with two buttons.

Yes, they work just fine with a mac, and have for years and years.

Not to turn this into a dreaded "mac thread" or whatever.

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
Syd Lexic
 Sunday, September 05 2010 @ 04:20 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Ctrl+click indeed. But mice are for suckers. Especially on a laptop. I try to avoid clicky things if I can, y'know? Ah lurves me some keyboard shortcuts.

Profile Email
Ochris
 Sunday, September 05 2010 @ 05:29 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Bakemaster

Not to turn this into a dreaded "mac thread" or whatever.

oh goodness, ah. it already has: my mac laptop has right click. i didn't even know this was a problem.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.78 seconds
New Topic Post Reply