Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Let's all fight each other!
 |  Printable Version
Mogar
 Wednesday, September 08 2010 @ 03:33 AM UTC (Read 2290 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

So, I was thinking today, it happens on most good days, but I managed to come up with what I think of as a pretty good idea. I don't know if it's been thought of or discussed before, but what if we could create a monster profile for ourselves?
You write an encounter description in the preferences or somewhere similar, and other contestants fighting at the same level as you can encounter you in the jungle or on their travels. It wouldn't be like PvP, you would just have a sort of monster alternate alias roaming around. I feel like this would make the game a little more realistic, since we do roam the jungles and are bound to run into each other at some point. Or maybe we're improbably bound to never encounter each other.

"You" could be encountered either in the same outpost's jungle that your character is currently in, or anywhere in the world.
Your current level would determine the level of your "monster" self*.
Your monster self* could be encountered while your character is either only online, or all the time.
If you travel into the same click as another player in the world map (away from cities?), you would face their monster version*.
The attack and defense of characters would probably have to be more of a standard value, instead of related to the character, so those more powerful contestant monsters wouldn't squash everyone, or to hell with that! We can all get smashed by the big'uns!
Just possible ideas attached to the main one.

*monster version/self not really meaning a viscious, monsterized version of your character, but just your character ready to fight. That is unless you made your character like that, I suppose. It's not my character! You could be the hulk!

Profile Email
Bernard
 Wednesday, September 08 2010 @ 05:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Mogar

So, I was thinking today, it happens on most good days, but I managed to come up with what I think of as a pretty good idea. I don't know if it's been thought of or discussed before, but what if we could create a monster profile for ourselves?
You write an encounter description in the preferences or somewhere similar, and other contestants fighting at the same level as you can encounter you in the jungle or on their travels. It wouldn't be like PvP, you would just have a sort of monster alternate alias roaming around. I feel like this would make the game a little more realistic, since we do roam the jungles and are bound to run into each other at some point. Or maybe we're improbably bound to never encounter each other.

"You" could be encountered either in the same outpost's jungle that your character is currently in, or anywhere in the world.
Your current level would determine the level of your "monster" self*.
Your monster self* could be encountered while your character is either only online, or all the time.
If you travel into the same click as another player in the world map (away from cities?), you would face their monster version*.
The attack and defense of characters would probably have to be more of a standard value, instead of related to the character, so those more powerful contestant monsters wouldn't squash everyone, or to hell with that! We can all get smashed by the big'uns!
Just possible ideas attached to the main one.

*monster version/self not really meaning a viscious, monsterized version of your character, but just your character ready to fight. That is unless you made your character like that, I suppose. It's not my character! You could be the hulk!

I'd buy this if it were linked to a random item generator, so you could face Bernard's speedos in the jungle. Or Calliaphone's bottle of Benilyn. Or Dexy's Midnight Runners. Or somesuch.

Profile Email
Harris
 Wednesday, September 08 2010 @ 05:56 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quite behind Bernard here. Mr. Green

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Ashtu
 Wednesday, September 08 2010 @ 07:50 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Bernard

...face Bernard's speedos.

Quote by: Harris

Quite behind Bernard here.

.........you're facing Bernard's speedos from behind???

Thank you.

Profile Email
Chimental
 Wednesday, September 08 2010 @ 09:23 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ashtu

...face Bernard's speedos.

Quote by: Harris

Quite behind Bernard here.

.........you're facing Bernard's speedos from behind???

You're saying that's a bad a thing.

Ergo, you must prefer to see Bernard's speedos from the front, then.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Wednesday, September 08 2010 @ 09:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Chimental

....you must prefer to see Bernard's speedos from the front, then.

If I must see Bernard's speedos at all, I would prefer it be from very, very far away. Think astronomical units.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Onigiri
 Thursday, September 09 2010 @ 06:20 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Think astronomical units.

Really now....No need to be speculating on what you might see in said speedos. That's simply crude.

You see, there are Librarians and then there are Librarians.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Thursday, September 09 2010 @ 11:03 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'd buy this if it were linked to a random item generator, so you could face Bernard's speedos in the jungle. Or Calliaphone's bottle of Benilyn. Or Dexy's Midnight Runners. Or somesuch.

Oops, back on track - yeah, what he said. I like this idea, but I'm guessing it would be a bear to code.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Daedalus
 Thursday, September 09 2010 @ 01:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

While you've clearly put some thought into this, I can't really see the point. What would it achieve other than increasing the incidence of monster encounters? Now that might suit those that are game play orientated, but I suspect it wouldn't go down very well with the RPers.

Although, as the above-hypothesized scenario of a jungle imbroglio with Bernard's speedos suggests, there might be a comic element. (pass me the mind bleach, stat!)

So ... err, if it came to a vote, I'd be counted as a 'nay'.

D.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, September 09 2010 @ 03:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That's not quite how I read it D. It doesn't have to mean extra encounters, rather when there is an encounter, then there's a chance of it being Uncle Bernard's Speedos or what have you.

I'm not sure that having [random contestant] with [random item] would work all that well, but if each player (who wanted one) had an encounter based on themselves one way or the other, then why not?

The easiest way of doing this would be to simply submit a monster description for Uncle Bernard's Speedos, surely?

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Friday, September 10 2010 @ 03:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

The easiest way of doing this would be to simply submit a monster description for Uncle Bernard's Speedos, surely?

I was actually wondering whether it would be bad form to submit monster descriptions based on actual long-time, well-known players. Or Rookie Declan.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Friday, September 10 2010 @ 04:07 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

I was actually wondering whether it would be bad form to submit monster descriptions based on actual long-time, well-known players. Or Rookie Declan.

Yup. It is. Though if you want to do it for the lulz with the full awareness it'll be rejected, go ahead. Wink

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Stranger
 Saturday, September 11 2010 @ 07:00 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I kinda get where Bernard is coming from with this (preferably while wearing something over his speedos). this might go pretty well with some, but it may not be as popular as the OP hoped.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, September 12 2010 @ 04:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zolotisty

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Yup. It is. Though if you want to do it for the lulz with the full awareness it'll be rejected, go ahead. Wink

:O And ruin my batting average of .44? Naw, Miz Zolo. Maybe for someone with more wit to spare than me. /totallymodestnoreallyIam

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.20 seconds
New Topic Post Reply