Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Gifting. Between alts. What can be gifted.
 |  Printable Version
Hairy Mary
 Friday, September 24 2010 @ 04:08 PM UTC (Read 2130 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Gifting between alts. I can't do this directly (I've mentioned this elsewhere somewhere). So, I used a two step gifting. One from one of my alts (AQ) to someone else, and then one back from them to another alt. (Cantankerous Biggs). First of all, I hope that this isn't considered cheaty, but I don't quite see why it should be, it's only so I can spend my DP as I would like, permanent title change for Biggs. If it is, then I'm sorry. I won't do it again.

More importantly, it seems that I could transfer grenades and crap meat between players, (these were what I happened to have in my backpack at the time.) Is this intentional? It seems rather close to req transfer doesn't it? Although there's an upper limit I suppose, one DP per gift of whatever the most expensive thing in eBoy's is. But still.

Also, one thing that it seems you can't gift is DP themselves. In the past, people have run little competitions with DP as prizes. Someone (I can't remember who) was making some good avatar pictures to order in return for DP. Both of these things are nice ideas that have been stymied. Is there any chance that we could do that again?

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Friday, September 24 2010 @ 04:23 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Also, one thing that it seems you can't gift is DP themselves. In the past, people have run little competitions with DP as prizes. Someone (I can't remember who) was making some good avatar pictures to order in return for DP. Both of these things are nice ideas that have been stymied. Is there any chance that we could do that again?

There were actually a couple people doing icons for DP. It's a great business when you can't afford to buy any yourself.

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Friday, September 24 2010 @ 04:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The other great thing about DP transfer, is that it allowed dwelling users to contribute secret rooms to a building, which made the whole building process MUCH more collaborative.

Oh, and I think collaboration is good.

~CTP

Profile Email
Onigiri
 Friday, September 24 2010 @ 08:55 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: crashtestpilot

The other great thing about DP transfer, is that it allowed dwelling users to contribute secret rooms to a building, which made the whole building process MUCH more collaborative.

Oh, and I think collaboration is good.

~CTP

I know of a dwelling where the owner had all of her friends move in. One of the friends room had a Secret room with DP provided by said rooms occupant.

You see, there are Librarians and then there are Librarians.

Profile Email
Ebenezer
 Friday, September 24 2010 @ 11:13 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Someone (I can't remember who) was making some good avatar pictures to order in return for DP.

I was one of those people!

-- I started a thread a while back about the DP gifting, but I have gotten no replies on it. I also asked Sessine and Z if they knew anything about it. They did not. Uh. . .I also emailed CMJ on the topic. If/when he emails me back (I don't really expect him to, since he's so busy), I'll let you guys know!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who misses this feature!

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, September 24 2010 @ 11:30 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

No plans to bring it back as a priority, but it will be back one day in an altered form (in order to prevent the mahoosive amount of exploits people were using it for).

Profile Email Website
Ada
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 12:23 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Isn't it an exploit to be able to transfer items with req value from one person to another? I wasn't here for S1, but I'm under the impression that this was one of the things that was seriously screwing with the economy.

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 12:28 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Re: CMJ's post:

First, let me express unconditional love for the word mahoosive.

From one player's perspective, here's why I want DP transfer:

A) upgrading alts to have custom titles/colored titles. Good we have that. Let's move on.
Cool allowing building owners to receive DPs from parties (ie, clannies) interested in the architecture of the dwelling. We don't have that (anymore) and could use it back, perhaps via pools that would allow folks to donate DPs/cigs/req to the building, which would then be employed in various ways by building owners/master keyholders.

Absent those reasons, I have (personally, and I speak only for myself) no reason to use DP transfer.

My suggestion, simply, is this: create the pools (of above: req/cigs/dps) to which folks can donate, ala clan buffs.

This would fix the issues associated with building secret rooms & furnishing a dwelling at one stroke.

It would also enhance collaboration between players, which is, to my mind at least, the lifeblood of this community.

Just a thought,

~CTP

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 02:53 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Can somebody please explain what these... mahoosive exploits were?

No, seriously. Come on. I'm scratching my head here! Someone enlighten me.

Profile Email
Devin
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 03:05 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Count+Sessine

The only one I've ever thought of was transferring the monster-rating DP. (No, I've never done it, but as far as I know it'd work, and would be exploity in my book.)

Profile Email
Onigiri
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 03:18 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Devin

The only one I've ever thought of was transferring the monster-rating DP. (No, I've never done it, but as far as I know it'd work, and would be exploity in my book.)

I'm struggling other than that as well. But now it could be used for exploits.

Example-

Player is a Joker. Player has 500 DPs and an Alt. The Alt is Human. Alt gets free grenades and uses the transferred DP to move grenades to Player. Player then lets those become Impy Bombs and sells. Thus achieving a game-breaking Economy situation.

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 03:21 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Um, how exactly are grenades exchanged for DPs?
B/c, I would have done that if I could have to do what I wish to do with dwellings.

Or were you joking?

~CTP

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 03:23 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: crashtestpilot

Um, how exactly are grenades exchanged for DPs?

Check around in the Common Grounds. ;P

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 03:44 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oohhhh. It's a black market, then.
COOL!
~CTP

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 03:45 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Wait: Not cool.
Or whatever it is you want to believe.

~CTP

Profile Email
Onigiri
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 05:04 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Bingo bango!

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 05:45 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Ah, none of the regulars were doing it, but there were sneaky ways one could get Free Stuff that involved SP transfers. It wasn't so much exploit-the-game-and-unbalance-it as nick-stuff-from-CMJ-without-paying. To fix it and enable SP transfer we'll need to figure out the sort of system that you proposed in another thread, where SP's are stored in three numbers rather than two: bought, spent, and bonus. And then, the things that become free-after-you've-got-this-much reference the "bought" column.

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 11:47 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

It took me twenty minutes to work it out, but I was scratching my head as well. The only one I've thought of is make alts to rate monsters and then transfer Supporter Points to main character.

I've now found myself talking like a particularly pious primary school teacher. "They're only spoiling it for everyone else." Bummer.

On a side note, I'm going to have to write 'supporter points' out in full for a little while before I start referring to them as SP. I'm still used to DP and all that.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 04:25 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Ah, none of the regulars were doing it, but there were sneaky ways one could get Free Stuff that involved SP transfers. It wasn't so much exploit-the-game-and-unbalance-it as nick-stuff-from-CMJ-without-paying. To fix it and enable SP transfer we'll need to figure out the sort of system that you proposed in another thread, where SP's are stored in three numbers rather than two: bought, spent, and bonus. And then, the things that become free-after-you've-got-this-much reference the "bought" column.

Well, I'm assuming that if you're gonna make it Bought / Spent / Bonus to bring back Donor Point Transfers, your solution would be to make it sound Bought points could be transfered and Bonus only sticks with your player. But doesn't that mean that it would be circumvented by buying and gifting the items themselves? The only place that wouldn't help is if people made alts for the free Rating points (this is what I am guessing the exploit was?) for Secret Rooms.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 05:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Also beds and keys, maybe a few other things. Mounts. But yes. It's hard to imagine a way allow Supporter Point gifting that isn't open to abuse. I'm thinking about it. You may all have to put up with me spouting some crackpot ideas on the subject in the future.

As in, using SP to buy cigs and req. Can cig and req tokens be traded? If not, then please ignore my witterings.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.72 seconds
New Topic Post Reply