Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 E boy prices
 |  Printable Version
Dreadder
 Friday, September 24 2010 @ 10:12 PM UTC (Read 5219 times)  
Forum Newbie

Ok, folks, I'm not quite sure if this was asked before and if the question was answered, because I really doubt I'm the only one that noticed that. Ok, here it goes: the prices at eboy went crazy for the last couple of days. Yeah, I know it's a supply and demand thing, but the whole thing becomes problematic when Ration Pack costs around 1000 req instead of 10 - 50 as it used to be. That's a real killer especially for a low level players, when it's not that easy to spend 1k req on just one RP (10 percent stamina boost), especially since the best steak costs 750 req. And RPs are essential for a well balanced diet. Ok, now I sound like a high school nurse preaching about healthy food... Eek!

Anyway, the quantities of all items at eboy have dropped significantly lately, which is the reason for high prices. But what I'd like to know is how did that happen? Is it a new ''formula'' thingy or something else?

Profile Email
Onigiri
 Friday, September 24 2010 @ 10:18 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Somehow the Economy got all screwy a while back. CMJ did a fix on it and I assume that what ever messed with One-Shots before has now gone and messed with RatPacks.

You see, there are Librarians and then there are Librarians.

Profile Email
Dreadder
 Friday, September 24 2010 @ 10:31 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Well, actually all of the prices went over the roof since there seem to be limited supplies... Nicotin gums, which used to cost 10 req are now around 3000 req.

I mentioned the whole thing because I was waiting for someone to pop this question for a while, but guess I had to take that honour afterall... Wink

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Friday, September 24 2010 @ 10:51 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

The way the economy is supposed to work is: supply comes from crates, and from the humans' three-per-day free council items, and (for i-bombs) from Joker conversion. But mainly from crates.

Demand comes from contestants using the items, and from items being destroyed in someone's possession at DK. Demand is somewhat price-sensitive, but players are often heavily committed to a certain playing strategy by decisions made in the past, so it is not completely elastic.

EBoy's stocks were wiped out when the new items system went live. Prices cannot come down to a reasonable game-balanced level unless supply exceeds demand for long enough that stocks can build up. That means that, for a while, there need to be more crates than before.

Crates, however, have been noticeably scarcer since the new items system went live.

Crate-drops are supposed to be tied to donations. So, either there has been a sudden, very alarming, drop in donations... or the crate-drop rate got accidentally re-set to a considerably lower value.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, September 24 2010 @ 10:57 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Crate-drops are supposed to be tied to donations. So, either there has been a sudden, very alarming, drop in donations... or the crate-drop rate got accidentally re-set to a considerably lower value.

Well, you've seen the donations meter. :-/ It wasn't really a sudden drop as a gradual tail-off as I've spent the last month rewriting old stuff rather than writing new stuff, but hey - we've got a new pub now, at least. Smile

I'm gonna give it a couple of days and then I'll spawn some crates manually to get the supply moving again.

Profile Email Website
Bakemaster
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 01:02 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The problem's not just supply. The base prices for things are all screwy. Or at least, they seem to be... It used to be that if there was only one teleporter in stock, HOLY CRAP GUYS you would be hard pressed to afford to buy that last teleporter because it would be like a million req. Now, one teleporter in stock is a price of about 17,000R which is definitely not the way it used to be - I recall the price being over 20,000R before when there were still dozens of teleporters in stock.

Take a look at grenades as well. In the past, we'd see well over a thousand in stock, and prices would be between 130R and 250R. Now, there are a paltry 37 in stock in IC, and they're selling for just over 500R. That doesn't jive at all; grenades used to go for over 1,000R while there were still three digits left in stock.

Is eBoy's supposed to be self-adjusting over time? Or are there base prices that are set for different items? In the past couple days, I've noticed that different items with only 1 remaining in stock were all selling for the same price (at the time, about 8,000R). That didn't happen before, and someone in another thread alluded to base prices having been erased. So unless the system is keeping track of sales and adjusting its own base prices (which would be pretty cool, but also mean wow things are going to be screwy for a long time while the system relearns what items people like), something else is up.

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
Onigiri
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 02:47 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Bakemaster

So unless the system is keeping track of sales and adjusting its own base prices (which would be pretty cool, but also mean wow things are going to be screwy for a long time while the system relearns what items people like), something else is up.

And thus the Island gives rise to Cyberdyne Systems.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 05:50 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Is eBoy's supposed to be self-adjusting over time?

Yup, eBoy's has always examined historical demand data in order to set his multipliers, on a per-item-per-Outpost level. It'll take a little while for this to self-correct, but self-correct it shall.

Profile Email Website
Harris
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 05:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Well, you've seen the donations meter. :-/ It wasn't really a sudden drop as a gradual tail-off as I've spent the last month rewriting old stuff rather than writing new stuff, but hey - we've got a new pub now, at least. Smile

I'm gonna give it a couple of days and then I'll spawn some crates manually to get the supply moving again.

Many thanks, Sirrah, but for once, I'd say *don't* give us free stuff. We're a creative lot- let us muddle through 'til donations pick up again!

It's a *bit* of a pain, but personally, I like the idea of us actually having that much effect on the Island's economy MORE- I mean, most of the time we only get to dick with the Island through our *writing*...

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Onigiri
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 05:59 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Is eBoy's supposed to be self-adjusting over time?

Yup, eBoy's has always examined historical demand data in order to set his multipliers, on a per-item-per-Outpost level. It'll take a little while for this to self-correct, but self-correct it shall.

Great Scott! eBoy's really IS Cyberdyne!

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 06:09 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

The satisfaction is in writing a very simple equation to do what appears to be a very complex thing. Wink

Profile Email Website
Harris
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 06:16 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I...I have Mary Poppins singing in my head now, and I'm not sure why..

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Ashtu
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 12:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The satisfaction is in writing a very simple equation to do what appears to be a very complex thing. Wink

Oh dear lord yes.
Once had a contractor write a complex sorting/searching routine in C, for use on a UNIX platform.
Years later, needed to modify it slightly. Was source or contractor still around? Naw.
Looked at it, scratched my head, wrote a THREE LINE shell script that did the same thing. Faster.
Satisfaction?
Yeah.

Thank you.

Profile Email
Dreadder
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 02:42 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Well, the real perfection and beauty are usually hidden in simplicity.

So, the make it simple. yet hoping I won't sound like a crybaby: how long do you estimate the ''crazy prices thingy'' will last?

Profile Email
Devin
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 04:05 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Sounds like the proper fix for the prices is more supply in general. Demand is gonna be all screwy until prices across the board are lower, and we get back to the point where for example, ration packs are actually worth buying again. And the best way to get more supply is more donations!

Maybe we can get Extended Play back while we're at it.

Profile Email
Bakemaster
 Saturday, September 25 2010 @ 08:24 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

eBoy's has always examined historical demand data in order to set his multipliers, on a per-item-per-Outpost level

THIS IS AWESOME BY THE WAY

Unofficial Improbable Island out-of-character chat is at irc.foonetic.net, channel #iisland - come on by!

Profile Email Website
Snow Gray
 Sunday, September 26 2010 @ 02:00 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

It may have an additional factor - My backpack is not deducting stam for being overweight with building materials - is it doing so for other items? I could see the better-off hoarding as many eboy items as they can afford in their bags if they didn't lose the stam for it being heavy.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, September 26 2010 @ 04:02 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Snow+Gray

It may have an additional factor - My backpack is not deducting stam for being overweight with building materials - is it doing so for other items? I could see the better-off hoarding as many eboy items as they can afford in their bags if they didn't lose the stam for it being heavy.

Mmmn... naw. Don't think so.

Or, only if they're not very experienced on the Island. There's really no percentage in carrying around more items in your backpack than you actually need for play... unless you expect prices to go up, in which case you might hang onto them meaning to sell after the price has risen, but I don't think anyone's expecting prices to go up right now.

And the people who are carrying items around between eBoy outlets, looking for price differentials greater than eBoy's profit margin? Cheer them on! They're helping the market to work.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Sunday, September 26 2010 @ 05:02 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

well, we've got extended play and I found 3 crates between newhome and IC, so I think this might regulate out now... Fun, trying to figure out new ways to do things, though.

Profile Email
Kash
 Sunday, September 26 2010 @ 04:04 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh, you poor, poor commercial people... so dependent on the markets and all.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.86 seconds
New Topic Post Reply