Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 If I could change one small thing on The Island
 |  Printable Version
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, March 09 2011 @ 03:16 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I am of two minds on this.

On the one hand, the 'Newly Female Contestant' is lampooning a phenomenon that really truly does need to be lampooned. Since we acquired this monster, there has been a noticeable reduction in so-called "female" characters who embody every stupid, shallow, irritating stereotype about women ever promoted in the letters column of Playboy magazine.

So I don't want to get rid of it.

On the other hand, it should not be written in such a way as to make transgendered players feel it's aimed at them.*

Is it mostly the name that's at fault? Monsters can be renamed. They can have their descriptions edited. Help me fix this, folks!

--
* It shouldn't appear to be aimed at all male players who play female characters, either. It's not the female, it's the stereotyping!

Profile Email
Chimental
 Wednesday, March 09 2011 @ 04:46 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Is it mostly the name that's at fault? Monsters can be renamed. They can have their descriptions edited. Help me fix this, folks!
[/size]

Weeeeeeeeell

If a tweaking is needed, just add a few wings to the woman, give her a pointy wizard hat, a demon tail, let her keep the funbags aaaaand...

You are attacked by Typical Bad Character which lunges at you with Angel Demon Majik Sex Sword of L337Ness!!!11!!one!

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Wednesday, March 16 2011 @ 07:03 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I would like to petition for an extension of the mouseover commentary. Maybe 125 or 150 characters? Would that break the tables/whatever too much? Trying to fit everything you want in 100 characters is pretty annoying.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, March 16 2011 @ 07:15 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Matthew

I would like to petition for an extension of the mouseover commentary. Maybe 125 or 150 characters? Would that break the tables/whatever too much? Trying to fit everything you want in 100 characters is pretty annoying.

160 characters, now gimme some money. I'm writing an MotD in which I describe how a good chunk of my cats and worldly possessions broke down today.

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Wednesday, March 16 2011 @ 07:42 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

160 characters, now gimme some money. I'm writing an MotD in which I describe how a good chunk of my cats and worldly possessions broke down today.

Erk. I'm sorry. I don't mean to be irritating and then adding a complaint on top of everything, it was only an idea; but thank you. Another 60 characters is pretty awesome, and more than I expected.
I hope your kitties are okay. :c
I will when I have more money to give. I'm not made of the stuff, alas.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, March 16 2011 @ 07:53 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I will when I have more money to give. I'm not made of the stuff, alas.

Few people are, these days. :-/ My mates back home are saying that they've got the rag-bone men back, now.

Any old iron!

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Wednesday, March 16 2011 @ 06:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Trowa tisks, "Now that just won't do." Trowa throws money willy-nilly at CMJ in hopes of restoring the broke-down chunks of cats. Partial cats are no good.

I have no idea what to do with the other 60 character now!

...Oh, and something about supporting the site. Yes. >.>

My mates back home are saying that they've got the rag-bone men back, now.

Any old iron!

Being an ignorant American, I had to look that up. I feel smarter now.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Saturday, March 19 2011 @ 05:36 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Could we maybe get a list of our dk's at the rank selection screen? It would be really, really helpful for those of us who have a pattern and forget to check to see what we're doing next before going in to see horatio.

Profile Email
Omega
 Sunday, March 20 2011 @ 02:08 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: dizzyizzy

Could we maybe get a list of our dk's at the rank selection screen? It would be really, really helpful for those of us who have a pattern and forget to check to see what we're doing next before going in to see horatio.

Oh yes. This thing! I always have to keep out a single file when I start drive kills so that I won't miss up and do one drive kill too much.
Sometimes I forget, and end up picking an uncomfortable rank first.

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Devorah
 Monday, March 21 2011 @ 12:29 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Omega

Quote by: dizzyizzy

Oh yes. This thing! I always have to keep out a single file when I start drive kills so that I won't miss up and do one drive kill too much.
Sometimes I forget, and end up picking an uncomfortable rank first.

This please!! I currently have to keep track of my rank using sticky notes (the application, not actual paper) on my desktop to keep track, but sometimes I forget to update it to what's next and then pick the wrong rank. This would be awesome and much appreciated!!

Profile Email
Maniak
 Monday, March 21 2011 @ 06:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'd like the ability to attach notes to presents. Say I want to send a Medkit to someone attempting a Bastard Rank. Now I have to send them a distraction or natter saying "You'll need it.", which they'll get separately from the gift.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Monday, March 21 2011 @ 07:56 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Maniak

I'd like the ability to attach notes to presents. Say I want to send a Medkit to someone attempting a Bastard Rank. Now I have to send them a distraction or natter saying "You'll need it.", which they'll get separately from the gift.

I've been thinking about doing this for a while - we'll see what the best way is.

Profile Email Website
Nanobug
 Thursday, March 24 2011 @ 09:09 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

When cooking up the carcass of your latest improbable victim, it would be useful to have something like a "Cook All" button, so I don't have to type in how many pieces of each type of meat I have. Its gets boring doing that repeatedly.

And in the unlikely event that I have more than 20, just take the best 20 pieces, if possible.

(Just thought of another possible Hunter's lodge item for you - a bigger pot! Something that holds 40 pieces perhaps.)

Profile Email
Maniak
 Friday, March 25 2011 @ 10:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'd like the ability to see Deimos' customer list from the HoF.

And a HoF entry for DK-rank average.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Saturday, March 26 2011 @ 02:27 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Some listing of the player's current SP balance in dwellings. Neither Secret Rooms nor Memento Effects appear to have this, making it hard to know if I can afford any improvements to my dwelling. It'll become apparent eventually when it suddenly spits me out telling me I can't afford it, but if I'm running low I'd like to know I need to budget myself.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Beeps
 Saturday, March 26 2011 @ 09:50 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

ONE MORE THING...

This one's sort of an odd one, but... Could we do away with titles on the opening page "Who's Online" list? I think it may give new players a skewed idea of the kind of names to pick - It's one thing to see "Arc Castor, Skye, Mango, Algus Wigs." It's another to see "Lightning Axe Arc Castor, Transcendent Grand Lord Elevated Badass of the Gods Scorpio, Curious Algus Wigs, Bubbly Mango," and so forth. Since logins are the same as character names 99% of the time, maybe use that instead of the name (Which has the title built-in, for some reason)? Seeing a list of relatively normal names might make people think twice before choosing awesomed00d for a character name.
Or Beeps. Maybe.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Raidur
 Monday, March 28 2011 @ 06:05 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Beeps

ONE MORE THING...

This one's sort of an odd one, but... Could we do away with titles on the opening page "Who's Online" list? I think it may give new players a skewed idea of the kind of names to pick - It's one thing to see "Arc Castor, Skye, Mango, Algus Wigs." It's another to see "Lightning Axe Arc Castor, Transcendent Grand Lord Elevated Badass of the Gods Scorpio, Curious Algus Wigs, Bubbly Mango," and so forth. Since logins are the same as character names 99% of the time, maybe use that instead of the name (Which has the title built-in, for some reason)? Seeing a list of relatively normal names might make people think twice before choosing awesomed00d for a character name.
Or Beeps. Maybe.

Agreed +1000000000000000

Oh, and a way to set your title back to the game generated one, for when you don't really have one you want to use.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Wednesday, March 30 2011 @ 07:11 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I was going to post this in its own thread, but then I figured maybe the suggestion wasn't good enough for one. I dunno. Anyway.

I don't know how difficult it would be, but I'd like a "Log Mode" option somewhere below the chat options. Something that you could press, and it refreshes the page, only with the mouseover icon, race icon, online/nearby/offline bar, donator icon, and timestamp all removed. Going to the next page would undo it, or perhaps it would be a toggle.

See, the logic here is that while I know you could do this with preferences, or at least most of it, it's extremely annoying to do when you want to log only one scene, or if the scene is in a map square or dwelling, where you can't get to your preferences, so you need to take a trip to the outpost and then back before you log anything. This would make the whole process a lot simpler.

Or maybe there's some super-secret trick with the current export xml system that lets you easily port it to a Google Doc? That's what most people use for log-taking, I've found. Myself included.

Profile Email
Kazana
 Wednesday, March 30 2011 @ 10:17 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I have a pair of suggestions for the Console theme. The first is the color of the stamina percentage readout-the colors are a bit too dark to be read while in the green or orange without angling the screen or highlighting the line (The red is borderline, but contrasts more than the other two). The second is about the Houdini action of the Twitter and Imrobable Labs links at the top of the page-I don't quite miss them, just pointing out that they're not there.
An interesting aside, the Console theme works better on my phone than its Mobile Friendly cousin.

And while I'm here, let me bring this back from the fourth page:

Quote by: KimmyMonstah

Quote by: Ookami01

I'd love it if the trainers for the Rosen Kiai, Cooking etc. also had the train x5, train x10, like the outpost wall reinforcement option. I tend to spend my cash before a DK training there and at the moment it takes a long time to chew through all my stam and req. That would make it faster and easier, and not be game breaking as far as I know.

Going to have to second this. Second it a million times. Maybe even a x100 option. I could spend an hour there mashing the damn key and still not finish training all of my stamina away before new day hits.

I don't know if this works for Kiai, but for Cooking it does.
Get the req out you're intending to spend, then get to cooking practice. Even when NewDay rolls around, as long as you're still in Maiko's, you can keep cooking for as long as you like with your previous day's stamina.

But yes, a x50 option would be pretty sweet. Maybe even 100. Depends.

Quote by: Iriana

In the same vein as Ookami's, I was mucking about in SPICE Tower as a new builder and found it a little difficult to keep pressing "Add wood", "Add wood", "Add wood" (especially since I play on my phone). I'd love to see a "Build x5" or"x10", like there is in Reinforcing! (I hope someone hasn't already brought this up and I just didn't see it!)

There was also something else, but I've... forgotten it. Of course. I'm getting fuzzy in the head.

Thanks, CMJ! For catering to our complaints, and just for all the wonderful, wonderful work you do.

Yes, please!

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, March 30 2011 @ 10:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Has to be said, the above two requests, x10 etc. for training and building, would be nice.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.68 seconds
New Topic Post Reply