Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 If I could change one small thing on The Island
 |  Printable Version
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, September 25 2011 @ 03:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A chance of punishment for avoiding the Cryptic Questions Joker. Many of the random events will give a minor punishment for refusing to participate, like 10% health loss, while participating is high-risk, high-reward.

Cryptic Questions Joker is not very random. Since I don't waste my time for the reward, and I don't like giving the cheating answer, I simply don't ever do that event. Ever. Ever ever. It's been SO long since I've done it, that I forgot I was always breezing by it while spamming keys to travel through the jungle.

Stop me. Make me have to stop and consider trying to participate in the event. Maybe have a small chance for a super awesome reward of a different nature from the Joker. But make that element of the game relevant to me.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Wednesday, September 28 2011 @ 01:10 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

1)

Reduce the chance for each Something Improbable! Event that you can get while jungle-hunting. You may not realize how many times I've gotten a fight that ended with me at 5% of my health and I'd already clicked Looking for Big Trouble, and said to myself, "Maybe I'll get an event so I won't die," and got it. Punish my mistakes!

If you want a better reason than my masochism, the actual issue is that I feel it's kinda ridiculous how probable these improbable events are. I see them ALL the time, the same ones over and over. Make them sparser.

2)

Each game day that the player spends at level 15, increase the chance he/she will encounter the Improbability Drive by 0.25% when Hunting or Travelling so that players will eventually succumb rather than staying at the DK indefinitely getting easy money and cigs. My record was something over 270 game days (1.5 months) at level 15 or something back when I was running for mayor of CC404 (which I might as well do again, the amount of time I spend there...).

3)

Group fights of different monsters. You'll have no description, but just have both a Seventy-Headed Hellhound and two Midget Zombie Mutants and fight them. To make it a little easier to balance, always make them from two levels below the level you're searching for. If you're level 5 and looking for easy trouble (level 4), then you might get a group fight of 2 or 3 or 4 monsters at level 2. There'll be no multi-mob encounters below level 3 and you'll never get the highest monsters with other ones.

4)

A little more range in what you get when you hunt. It'll add more spice if you're a level 5 contestant and, in that unlucky 1 out of 2401 chance, you encounter a level 12 monster, or in 1 out of 6561 chance you encounter a level 16 monster. You better pay attention and run from that fothermucker.

5)

This is not a Small Thing On The Island by ANY means, but I decided to include here, jungle hunting party. I think some people would love to be able to fight at the side of their friends on normal monsters, not just titans.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Wednesday, September 28 2011 @ 01:21 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

2)

Each game day that the player spends at level 15, increase the chance he/she will encounter the Improbability Drive by 0.25% when Hunting or Travelling so that players will eventually succumb rather than staying at the DK indefinitely getting easy money and cigs. My record was something over 270 game days (1.5 months) at level 15 or something back when I was running for mayor of CC404 (which I might as well do again, the amount of time I spend there...).

Without looking at the code, I believe that the villager event is almost exactly this. I definitely experienced them more and more often on a DK where I was trying to avoid the Drive. I ended up selling my weapon so I'd lose.

5)

This is not a Small Thing On The Island by ANY means, but I decided to include here, jungle hunting party. I think some people would love to be able to fight at the side of their friends on normal monsters, not just titans.

About as small as the Pacific, yes.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Wednesday, September 28 2011 @ 01:46 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

5)

I'm pretty sure this is how S3 will work. I think I saw that somewhere.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Wednesday, September 28 2011 @ 04:31 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm sorry for this onslaught of suggestions, but the truth is my previous Number 5 was because I had forgotten what I really intended it to be and decided to throw in something else to round it off.

What I want is for ALL 'decline' hotkeys of improbable events to be the 'R' key. The R key for Return is very easy for me to hit with my left hand as is most of the letters I use. My spamming is frequently disrupted by the events where I decline by having to hit 'L' for Leave, and though I can hit 'G', it's a bit off-rhythm. Standardizing that key would be most convenient.

Profile Email
Caleb
 Friday, September 30 2011 @ 05:34 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

...I'd change the bit of text that informs you of a locked door from "[x] is locked" back to "You cannot enter [x]".

Partly because the second is more generic, and therefore works well with a wider range of possible things-you-can't-enter ("You cannot enter the bramble thicket" is a little less jarring than "The bramble thicket is locked", for instance), but also because it allows for more humourous wordplay, and that... can't be a bad thing, right?

Profile Email
Beeps
 Friday, September 30 2011 @ 05:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I do kind of miss my "You cannot enter something 40 feet in the air," house.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Friday, September 30 2011 @ 07:00 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Caleb

...I'd change the bit of text that informs you of a locked door from "[x] is locked" back to "You cannot enter [x]".

Partly because the second is more generic, and therefore works well with a wider range of possible things-you-can't-enter ("You cannot enter the bramble thicket" is a little less jarring than "The bramble thicket is locked", for instance), but also because it allows for more humourous wordplay, and that... can't be a bad thing, right?

Yes, that. Also, the customized furniture text for double beds. "Customized furniture (King size bed) is occupied by Devorah (room for one more)" looks terrible.

Also, am I the only one who thinks the floating box on the world map for places looks ugly? Can we have back the dwelling-style map text? So the fake supply crate will work?

Profile Email
Beeps
 Friday, September 30 2011 @ 07:18 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm with you. The Places table layout makes it feel very disconnected from the world around it.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Mongo
 Saturday, October 01 2011 @ 02:55 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Is it too soon for somebody to re-do the Joker card to show CMJ without the smoke?

If it cant be done, should I stop doing it?

Profile Email
Maniak
 Saturday, October 01 2011 @ 08:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: dizzyizzy

Quote by: Caleb

Yes, that. Also, the customized furniture text for double beds. "Customized furniture (King size bed) is occupied by Devorah (room for one more)" looks terrible.

Also, am I the only one who thinks the floating box on the world map for places looks ugly? Can we have back the dwelling-style map text? So the fake supply crate will work?

Yes! The Places System makes one big assumption, and that is that we all want to build a House for private roleplay. This is not the case at all.

Sidenote, clicking on 'Enter' often doesn't even bring you inside the house at all. Often there's a boring exterior to wade through. Why have it the word there in the first place? Why can't I name my place 'A Cute Cottage', and have 'Follow the trail...' in the navbar?

As for the furniture, well, the same assumption is made, isn't it? The whole idea of custom furniture is that it's no longer recognizable as such. Having a big THIS IS STILL A COUCH plastered over your hyperbaric chamber/patch of grass in the shade totally ruins the illusion.

As does the fugly box around the places. Especially the disclaimer hidden behind the question mark irks me. It's very... I-have-to-cover-my-ass-or-I'll-get-sued. It's... American. The Crate Thank you for mentioning it! hasn't been rebuild yet because of it. If I can figure out a way around it to get some form of illusion, it might return. If the boxes disappear, it'll be back in a heartbeat.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
wvf
 Saturday, October 01 2011 @ 08:33 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

You made the crate? Heh, I remember it... loved the concept. Laughing Out Loud

Profile Email
Chamomile
 Wednesday, October 05 2011 @ 06:39 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

A way to leave a comment in addition to just your rating when rating a monster would be nice. I gave the level 7 Lion a lower rating than some of the others, because while I really like the running gag in general, disguising yourself as a sheep is a step down from disguising yourself as Aslan.

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Thursday, October 06 2011 @ 04:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm with Maniak on this:

Please can we get rid of the map descriptions of places contained in boxes. Ugly, doesn't look right and doesn't feel right. Confused

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Caleb
 Thursday, October 06 2011 @ 09:45 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Would it not be possible to move the Places disclaimer text in with that given to you at the beginning of the game, or add it to the you-must-read-this FAQ page? Make it clear upon entering the Island that, hey, the things you see on the map and listed in the sidebar under 'Nearby Places' are player-created and it's not up to CMJ what happens to you in there? Apart from anything else, I think it'd make the disclaimer clearer than hiding it in a small, easily-overlooked question mark.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, October 09 2011 @ 01:56 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Whenever it comes to it, can we get the option to create multi-mob submissions? I believe that if mob descriptions list multiple enemies, someone behind the scenes will probably make it so, but there's no way for the player to specify things like having two different creatures in a single fight, for example if you were to fight Bert and Ernie, you'd actually have a Bert to fight and an Ernie.

Profile Email
Feynt
 Tuesday, October 11 2011 @ 12:47 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

If I could fix one thing it would be to swap the places and map listings so the map is consistent in its placement as I wander around. Sometimes I'll be running between NH and Kitt, or further abroad, and I'll come across a massive description that pushes my map off screen. Not helpful to say the least.

Profile Email
Darcy
 Thursday, October 13 2011 @ 08:22 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

The only thing I don't like about the Places system is how the names of dwellings show up - or, don't show up - in the character lists. Most people probably don't have placeid and roomid memorized for all the dwellings their friends are in, so it might be nice that we get the dwelling title back.

Profile Email
Omega
 Friday, October 14 2011 @ 03:24 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Darcy

The only thing I don't like about the Places system is how the names of dwellings show up - or, don't show up - in the character lists. Most people probably don't have placeid and roomid memorized for all the dwellings their friends are in, so it might be nice that we get the dwelling title back.

CMJ said that "Fuck knows" how he made the older dwellings act like they used to, showing the actual name. I think, that if it is not possible to fix now, a workaround is to change maps, such as http://bitwise-guy.com/improbable/ci/map to include the dwelling ID in the listing and search options.

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
warownslife
 Saturday, October 15 2011 @ 09:32 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I would like either a better wiki(one thats not full of lies) or a way to buy cigarettes.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.66 seconds
New Topic Post Reply