Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 If I could change one small thing on The Island
 |  Printable Version
Awesome Fred
 Wednesday, December 07 2011 @ 03:38 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Sessine, you've been absolutely helpful on all sorts of things. You're a very active mod who never uses your power for evil and you participate in forum discussions very often. I admire you for your work, which uses your free time and I assume involves no payment. Hearts to you for that. Big Grin

But, what can and can't you do, in terms of changing the game?

Or, if we want to make the question narrower to address what I really want to hit:

I would assume typos and cosmetic errors are high-priority problems. The reason is because they're one of the strongest detractors to a solid presentation of the game to new players. If a new player sees a sloppy presentation, they might assume the game is run by a careless developer. They won't think highly of the game's worth as a whole. But if everything is spick-and-span, clean and neat, groomed and tucked, then they can always get past the unsightliness (and you probably know how irked some people get from grammatical errors).

Typos and (usually) cosmetic errors seem like easy-to-fix problems, so what stops you from doing it yourself? From just going through the list and making the corrections?

Put spaces between the Watcher's sentences, make sure Ramius never gets Favour again, standardize the usage of American or British spellings, clean up runaway color codes, make pretty that awful "Your own trap" monster (It's Not An Awful Monster, It Just Doesn't Use Title Case (Title Case Itself is not Defined Well, Some will not Capitalize Conjunctions or Prepositions, While Others Will (It's Really Just About Picking One Capitalization Style And Sticking With It))), and clean up any contradictory weather/time of day statements in the cities.

Then again, if it's merely that you don't have the time to do it, well, that's always legit. It's not your duty to forego life for unpaid work.

I'm really just bringing it up because, as I said, I think typos are important to fix due to presentation value.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Thursday, December 08 2011 @ 03:55 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Sessine, [kind words...] But, what can and can't you do, in terms of changing the game?

Put simply... if it's data -- I can fix it, though some of the data is much easier to get at than others.

If it's code, or if it's buried in the Translation Engine, I can't. I don't have access. Unfortunately, that's where most of the cosmetic errors are.

As for monsters... those are mostly Z's province, though I can and do fix egregious typos if they're pointed out.

Profile Email
Twist
 Friday, December 09 2011 @ 08:19 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

The chatting system is quite scary. Especially if one is too much of a wuss to try it out for fear of messing up. Eek! I know everyone's all right with it but there could be easier ways to chat. More options means less fear of socialization...?

... and vokda as well.

Profile Email Website
Harris
 Friday, December 09 2011 @ 09:52 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Twist

The chatting system is quite scary. Especially if one is too much of a wuss to try it out for fear of messing up. Eek! I know everyone's all right with it but there could be easier ways to chat. More options means less fear of socialization...?

Alternately, you could just jump into Banter conversation when someone is already blathering like an idiot, and that way look smart in comparison!
I will humbly volunteer my services the next time I see your name in an outpost. Mr. Green

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Docenspiel
 Monday, December 12 2011 @ 12:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Now that the once great secret known only to barkeeps can be easily accessed from the Help button, can we find another useful bit of information to replace it? Or any addition to the Raven Inn. I'd love to be able to do something fun in there on the off chance (read: every single time I find it) I don't have any req to gamble away.

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Harris
 Monday, December 12 2011 @ 09:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Docenspiel

Now that the once great secret known only to barkeeps can be easily accessed from the Help button, can we find another useful bit of information to replace it? Or any addition to the Raven Inn. I'd love to be able to do something fun in there on the off chance (read: every single time I find it) I don't have any req to gamble away.

This this this this please.

Maybe he...

Tells us that Mercenaries can be killed by any combat, even the ones we cannot be killed/ko'ed by?

Tells us that drinking coffee/crimson pitbull/springwater along with eating food is a terrific way to maximize our eating stam?

Tells us a vague story about Stonehenge, or the strange old man!

Please? Mr. Green

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Twosocks Monkey
 Monday, December 12 2011 @ 12:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Harris

Quote by: Docenspiel

This this this this please.

Maybe he...

Tells us that Mercenaries can be killed by any combat, even the ones we cannot be killed/ko'ed by?

Tells us that drinking coffee/crimson pitbull/springwater along with eating food is a terrific way to maximize our eating stam?

Tells us a vague story about Stonehenge, or the strange old man!

Please? Mr. Green

THIRDED!

Or you know what would be awesome? If the 'writing on the desk' RP space had slightly more room. The Raven Inn just screams to be RP'd in but I've avoided it thus far because the cache/display of emotes/sentences seems so small.

moooooooooo Visit and help me finish the monster list: goo.gl/rpBGe (Ya'll mostly know me as CLOG, fyi)

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Thursday, December 15 2011 @ 06:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Now that you mention it, I think it makes more sense for Mercenaries to be hired from the Raven Inn, rather than from Improbable Central.

This is of course not to list any of the many suggestions to make Mercs more relevant. Just a flavor suggestion.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, December 18 2011 @ 05:20 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ration packs announce your hunger level before eating the pack, not afterwards. Therefore, you'll easily encounter while eating several packs that the last pack gave you the message, "You still have room for more!" but the next one is rejected, because "You're far too full" to eat this one. This isn't really a game-changing issue by any means.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Monday, December 19 2011 @ 05:29 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

When you go to eat at a place of foodstuffs, you select your noms and eat it and pay for it. Good so far. However, on the screen which tells you what you just did, the only option is to go to the town afterwards. It would be convenient to be able to go back to the foodstuffs shop from that screen, to save clicks if I want to eat more than one thing.

Profile Email Website
Justa
 Tuesday, December 20 2011 @ 04:18 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Hello! I might be the minority in this, but I want to say that I miss the natterspaces terribly! They were, imo, a good way of reaching out to strangers without trying to carve out the time to locate them in scenes or Distract them outright (por ejemplo: spamming a rookie's natterspace with Joker whimsy as a way of introducing them to Story-writing on the Island and also greeting them in . . . silly ways, uh, I swear I'm more creative than this, will get back to you onnit).

So my question is: Will they return? And my hope is: Yes! Because I miss them a bunch and found them a very useful medium between approaching someone outright via Distraction and locating (i.e: stalking) them in Outposts and so forth.

Thank you for reading!

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Wednesday, December 21 2011 @ 10:34 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A comment box in the "rate a monster" section.

The compass being more easily observable on "console" skin. Right now it's black on black.

The option for reinforcing the defenses taking me right to the "reinforce", "x5", "x5" page.

Oh, whoops, that's three!

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Thursday, December 22 2011 @ 05:02 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

The option for reinforcing the defenses taking me right to the "reinforce", "x5", "x5" page.

I agree this would be nice, but CMJ addressed this one a long time ago. Something to do with providing a way for monsters to get you during a breach.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Friday, December 23 2011 @ 01:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Trowa

I agree this would be nice, but CMJ addressed this one a long time ago. Something to do with providing a way for monsters to get you during a breach.

Ah. Thought I remembered it from somewhere. I hereby disown that request, because it has already been said impossible, and also because it has a typo.

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, May 20 2012 @ 05:09 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Awesome Fred casts: Resurrection

If I could change one small thing on The Island, I would make it so that when you get a buff you already have on you, the duration is ADDED, not RESET. Drinking some Special Sauce gets me 30 rounds of a buff. If I'm down at 5, and I drink again, I wish to be at 35 rounds rather than 30.

This alleviates the complaint that buff durations are so short compared to jungling sessions, because you can drink 6-8 times and then leave the bar. It's tedious to keep a buff up when you're spamming through one-hit-KO fights.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Sunday, May 20 2012 @ 05:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I agree with you, but, on a side note, why do you need buffs if you're getting one-hit KO's? Neutral

Profile Email Website
Omega
 Sunday, May 20 2012 @ 06:00 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

What if you need it for a push over the edge that'd let you kill monsters in a hit, or want it to damage Titans harder?

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, May 20 2012 @ 06:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Actually, to be frank, if that change were implemented, White Springs Water would have to be drastically more expensive, or building would become... 20% easier.

Profile Email
Omega
 Sunday, May 20 2012 @ 06:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Or it could just work only on buffs from Island bars.

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, May 20 2012 @ 06:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Omega

Or it could just work only on buffs from Island bars.

It'd be comparatively unintuitive for [some drinks to work like that while others don't] than [to make all buffs work the same way, but the imbalanced drinks are rebalanced].

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.70 seconds
New Topic Post Reply