Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Malnutrition
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: norbar
 Saturday, October 16 2010 @ 12:43 PM UTC (Read 7708 times)  

Can anyone explain me why do I keep being malnutritioned even though I eat? What to do to prevent it?

Sorry if there is an answer to it somewhere here, looked but couldnt find.

Buddleia
 Saturday, October 16 2010 @ 02:01 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hello and welcome to Improbable Island!

Just like real life, you need to eat a better diet. Try a variety of foods, from different restaurants - not just the cheeseburgers from Joe's Diner. I'd recommend a steak (500rq) and a salad (100rq) from Kittania (northeast of Newhome), or, if you're up to the travel, the Mutant Steaks (750rq) in Pleasantville (north across the lake from Central) are excellent.

As a human, you can get freebies from the Council Offices in Newhome every gameday. Get a ration pack or two and eat those if you're getting fat as well as malnourished.

The FAQ is outdated, but The Rookie Advisory tinyurl.com/newbwiki will answer many of the common questions like this. Feel free to ask more in Banter or Location Four.

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Swede
 Saturday, October 16 2010 @ 06:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hey,
some info I got by trail and error, it's not verified so don't shoot me if it doesn't work 100% (or at least aim to miss)

Your ending stamina (The percentage you have before the day ends) effects how much you lose on a day.
If you're near 100% or more you don't need to eat.
Below 100 you need some food.

If you are below 100% you need 1 meal a day to keep the way you are.
So if you're already starving, eating 1 meal will just keep you on starving.
Eating 2 meals will bring you one "level" up.

It isn't as simple as I bring it here, but should help you.

Profile Email
Silcatra
 Saturday, October 16 2010 @ 07:26 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Actually, how much and what you've eaten in the last day or two effects your starting stamina and your "fat or thin" bar.

If you're fat like you ate a school of orphans, it's gonna take a few days to work that off. If you're malnourished, eating well one day will get that right off.

If you've eaten enough to nourish yourself the day before, you get the bonus stamina. If you're starving or too fat, then you get stamina deducted.

Profile Email
Anonymous: norbar
 Saturday, October 16 2010 @ 11:21 PM UTC  

Quote by: Buddleia

Hello and welcome to Improbable Island!

Just like real life, you need to eat a better diet. Try a variety of foods, from different restaurants - not just the cheeseburgers from Joe's Diner. I'd recommend a steak (500rq) and a salad (100rq) from Kittania (northeast of Newhome), or, if you're up to the travel, the Mutant Steaks (750rq) in Pleasantville (north across the lake from Central) are excellent.

As a human, you can get freebies from the Council Offices in Newhome every gameday. Get a ration pack or two and eat those if you're getting fat as well as malnourished.

The FAQ is outdated, but The Rookie Advisory tinyurl.com/newbwiki will answer many of the common questions like this. Feel free to ask more in Banter or Location Four.

Hi
Thanks for the answer. I tried eating salads but apparently it is not enough, steaks are really expensive for me right now but I will look for it.

Swede
 Sunday, October 17 2010 @ 03:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Rations work.
1 ration a day should keep you healthy.

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Sunday, October 17 2010 @ 05:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Swede

Rations work.
1 ration a day should keep you healthy.

3 keep you healthy, well-nourished and slim.

You know what they say...three rat's a day....

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
Awesome Fred
 Sunday, October 17 2010 @ 05:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hey,
some info I got by trail and error, it's not verified so don't shoot me if it doesn't work 100% (or at least aim to miss)

Your ending stamina (The percentage you have before the day ends) effects how much you lose on a day.
If you're near 100% or more you don't need to eat.
Below 100 you need some food.

If you are below 100% you need 1 meal a day to keep the way you are.
So if you're already starving, eating 1 meal will just keep you on starving.
Eating 2 meals will bring you one "level" up.

It isn't as simple as I bring it here, but should help you.

Sorry, it's not quite this.

Your ending stamina on a day has absolutely no effect with how much you lose the next new day. There was a time where players would start each day with 100%, instead of the 130-150-170% that many of us seems to start out at nowadays, what with special extends and sleeping spaces. So there's no way 100% is a pivot point.

Meals have different amounts of "levels" they can bring you up. If you are starving, it will take you 3 steaks from Pleasantville or Kittania to stuff you, but 5 of the sausage feast pizzas from Squat Hole or of the last entry in the BRAAAAAINS restaurant in New Pittsburgh.

You only lose and gain stamina at each new day depending on your nourishment and fatness. If you eat lean items like the steaks and salads, you won't gain fatness but you will gain nourishment. If you eat fatty items, you will gain less nourishment and lots of fatness. If you don't eat, you will lose fatness and nourishment.

Profile Email
Swede
 Monday, October 18 2010 @ 04:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Cousjava

Are you sure? I know I'm a newb but it seemed to be 2 rations before the new IItems update.
And lately 2 made Swede gain weight. Now 1 seems enough to keep him at the current fat/health

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Your ending stamina on a day has absolutely no effect with how much you lose the next new day. There was a time where players would start each day with 100%, instead of the 130-150-170% that many of us seems to start out at nowadays, what with special extends and sleeping spaces. So there's no way 100% is a pivot point.

Meals have different amounts of "levels" they can bring you up. If you are starving, it will take you 3 steaks from Pleasantville or Kittania to stuff you, but 5 of the sausage feast pizzas from Squat Hole or of the last entry in the BRAAAAAINS restaurant in New Pittsburgh.

You only lose and gain stamina at each new day depending on your nourishment and fatness. If you eat lean items like the steaks and salads, you won't gain fatness but you will gain nourishment. If you eat fatty items, you will gain less nourishment and lots of fatness. If you don't eat, you will lose fatness and nourishment.

True, different foods have different levels you gain.
Now I've done most my testing with rations and it gave me the impression ending stamina did have an influence.
I'm sure about the stamina above 100 though. If stamina is above 100+ and you eat food, it has a fattening effect.
You seem to need to burn off at least something before eating.

I've an alt which is only for a small story. As long as he does little (keeping his stamina above 90% or so) it seems he doesn't have to eat.
(This is with rations as main source of food)

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Tuesday, October 19 2010 @ 03:26 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Cousjava

Are you sure? I know I'm a newb but it seemed to be 2 rations before the new IItems update.
And lately 2 made Swede gain weight. Now 1 seems enough to keep him at the current fat/health

True, different foods have different levels you gain.
Now I've done most my testing with rations and it gave me the impression ending stamina did have an influence.
I'm sure about the stamina above 100 though. If stamina is above 100+ and you eat food, it has a fattening effect.
You seem to need to burn off at least something before eating.

I've an alt which is only for a small story. As long as he does little (keeping his stamina above 90% or so) it seems he doesn't have to eat.
(This is with rations as main source of food)

Honestly, I just stopped to consider it, and I take what I said with conviction back. I haven't really ever varied my food intake for testing, so it's definitely possible. I just eat steaks or nothing, depending on the day.

Profile Email
Cousjava
 Tuesday, October 19 2010 @ 04:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Honestly, I just stopped to consider it, and I take what I said with conviction back. I haven't really ever varied my food intake for testing, so it's definitely possible. I just eat steaks or nothing, depending on the day.

I do the same. At earlier levels, my money goes towards better armour and weapons, which I consider a higher priority. Make sure I can defend myself first, thenconsider trying to stop myself starving to death.

A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a trombone; what else does a man need to be happy?

Profile Email Website
tehdave
 Tuesday, October 19 2010 @ 04:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The only thing, IIRC, that ending stamina has an effect on is if you're fat, then ending a day in orange stamina will trim the fat a little better than just eating the lean foods. Also: from my own personal testing, it takes 40 energy drinks to go from absolutely starving to being "completely stuffed." If anyone wants to test each food to see what its equivalent Energy Drink Ratio (how many energy drinks the food displaces) we could build a table of foods comparing fullness/cost/Stam gained.
Not sure if there's a way to quantitatively test fat content of food, but I guess if you're a race that gets fat (most eating races) you might want to stick to lean foods... Jokers get it easy, since there's no fatness. (but there's also no well fed bonus stam) So if, say, the Cheeseburger is actually the most fullness/stam efficient food, then Jokers can fill up on cheeseburgers without worrying about it going to their thighs. Just the whole internal bleeding thing.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Tuesday, October 19 2010 @ 04:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: tehdave

The only thing, IIRC, that ending stamina has an effect on is if you're fat, then ending a day in orange stamina will trim the fat a little better than just eating the lean foods. Also: from my own personal testing, it takes 40 energy drinks to go from absolutely starving to being "completely stuffed." If anyone wants to test each food to see what its equivalent Energy Drink Ratio (how many energy drinks the food displaces) we could build a table of foods comparing fullness/cost/Stam gained.
Not sure if there's a way to quantitatively test fat content of food, but I guess if you're a race that gets fat (most eating races) you might want to stick to lean foods... Jokers get it easy, since there's no fatness. (but there's also no well fed bonus stam) So if, say, the Cheeseburger is actually the most fullness/stam efficient food, then Jokers can fill up on cheeseburgers without worrying about it going to their thighs. Just the whole internal bleeding thing.

Psh, what's a little internal bleeding? Fair trade for a cheeseburger.

Profile Email
wvf
 Wednesday, October 20 2010 @ 01:54 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

If you are a zombie, don't zombie eat a 70-headed hellhound. You will get fat. Razz
I found that out the hard way.

Profile Email
Swede
 Wednesday, October 20 2010 @ 07:52 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: wvf

If you are a zombie, don't zombie eat a 70-headed hellhound. You will get fat. Razz
I found that out the hard way.

Big Grin

Really? 200 pieces of wobbly meat makes you fat?
I wonder why...

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Wednesday, October 20 2010 @ 05:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I just cleaned a 70-Headed Hellhound and ate its meat starting from starving. I think it was 140 or 160 pieces of crap meat that it took to fill me up.

Are we going to figure out if tasty meat is non-fattening or less fattening?

Profile Email
Zophiel_355
 Tuesday, November 09 2010 @ 04:48 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Is there any way to lose weight? I travel, eat sparingly with rations and salads, and fight as long as I can buy stamina, but every day I get the "You are very fat, you look like you ate a school bus full of children" message. Really would like to stop losing that extra stamina! Anybody got any ideas?

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Tuesday, November 09 2010 @ 04:50 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zophiel_355

Is there any way to lose weight? I travel, eat sparingly with rations and salads, and fight as long as I can buy stamina, but every day I get the "You are very fat, you look like you ate a school bus full of children" message. Really would like to stop losing that extra stamina! Anybody got any ideas?

finish every day in orange stam, quit eating. It'll go away in a couple days.

Profile Email
Zophiel_355
 Tuesday, November 09 2010 @ 05:14 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Thank you!

Profile Email
talkydoor
 Tuesday, November 09 2010 @ 11:20 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

SPOILER ALERT:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AvNNPhKgJ1TddDBhS1lUMm45WXZvWEVFcWxfbWp3SWc&hl=en&authkey=CKvEolA

Okay, these were worked out a while ago, by much trial and error (talky spent many, many dk's as a very fat midget. I think she may have been spherical)
Also, some of the values are outdated. Basically, I got confused at one point, and stopped counting, then forgot about the whole thing. So if anybody is up to validating these data and getting very unhealthy over in zombie town, they are very welcome. Otherwise, feel free to maximise your stamina with this. If anybody can think of a way to add fat values of some sort to this, that would have been the next step, but I couldn't think of a way.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.54 seconds
New Topic Post Reply