Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Robots and the EMP
 |  Printable Version
Maniak
 Saturday, December 04 2010 @ 12:50 PM UTC (Read 1037 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I love robots and strongly believe they are a part of the Island, but they certainly confuse me.

How can there be robots without practical functioning computers? They'd need to be huge, yet according to the museum they're humanoid/human sized.

How are they powered, is there a giant solar panel on top of CC404? How does that work for a robot in the other outposts, or in the Jungle for that matter? Do they carry a diesel engine?

Where did they get their components? And why aren't they salvaged for their parts? I bet you could get at least 5 crate sniffer out of a robot.

I'm interested in any theories about this.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Chimental
 Saturday, December 04 2010 @ 02:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Having robots on a post-EMP world. Quite improbable, wouldn't you agree?

But seriously (as serious as we can be at this place), the Robots 'heal' themselves with a solar panel that's somewhere on their person. Can easily be used to power anything else. The conventional 'Robot' is technically only half metal, so it doesn't need much power to operate the parts that need power to work.

As for where they got the components, remember they became robots fighting the Drive. The Drive could have fused them with some broken XBox in the corner. For all we know, the robots might have...

*takes off his glasses in a dramatic way*

...parts from the Drive itself.

*DUN*

*DUN*

*DUN*

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, December 04 2010 @ 04:58 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

This is a very good question -- particularly since the NPC Robots of CC404 (as described in, for instance, the Rohit encounter) seem to work rather differently from player-character Robots, who may be... a huge clanking mechanical 'bot with a steam engine for power, or a sleek shape of solid air, or a tiny winged golden ball composed of nanites, or any of a wide variety of other forms.

That's okay... after all, a good half of the 'Kittymorphs' on the Island are quite unlike the standard NPC Kittymorph, too, and many player character Jokers don't walk around in Victorian garb setting off green-flash explosions all the time. Repeated exposures to Improbability, in other words, result in a lot of variations on the racial themes.

Still, it will be interesting to learn more about how the base NPC-Robots work. Based on the wording of the CC404 encounter, I'm guessing we're going to...

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.31 seconds
New Topic Post Reply