Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 RANT: Outposts constantly down - considering dropping support and quitting playing.
 |  Printable Version
Temper
 Wednesday, January 05 2011 @ 01:54 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Oddly enough. I have never once run into a breached outpost. At least, not in recent memory. And I do go to Acehigh on a regular basis, as an impatient Joker who wants to level up. So I don't think Acehigh, at least, is much of a problem. CC404 and New Pitts though, I can't speak of, because I don't usually go to either of those places.

I do like the idea of being able to tell if an outpost is breached from the outside. It makes sense, even if it would drive away some otherwise unwitting helpers in outpost defense.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Wednesday, January 05 2011 @ 03:10 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: tehdave

If you don't enter an outpost, you can't get hunted down for truancy

I'm still not seeing any potential for abuse, here. Why would you ever want to put off levelling up? Lack of access to any outposts would still really limit you and make avoiding truancy pointless.

And if it's that big of a deal, then why not make travelling on the map trigger truancy, too?

Profile Email
Omega
 Wednesday, January 05 2011 @ 03:52 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

I'm still not seeing any potential for abuse, here. Why would you ever want to put off levelling up?

Well, you see, when you're level one, you can heal for free. For ever.
Say you're playing a bastard rank. And have 2000~ HP. Healing then would cost `i tons`i of money.
But if you try staying at level one, you could survive any battle with 2000HP, heal for free, and then go outside to travel and try to find crates/sleep in a dwelling.

So? We can fix that by adding a truancy check over the travel from jungle button, But why doesn't that happen? My guess is that it will add another hook(More server load) and thus is..Not worth the trouble.

But really, as long as traveling to the jungle from the world map is possible, I don't complain.

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Scorpio
 Wednesday, January 05 2011 @ 05:32 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

My guess is that it will add another hook(More server load) and thus is..Not worth the trouble.

Sure, and I can see that if this is not addressed very soon, that server load will be going down from the loss of 2 players minimum, more likely 4, and the loss of recommendations for others to come check it out, because I am simply at the end of my rope on this issue.

From what I can see, the only players this is giving any benefit to is the ones that have so many drive kills that their stats are through the roof. So, if this is going to be turned into some private little playground where only the long term and high drive kill players experience any fun out of it, then I'm out, and so is my wife, and a couple of other family members that play.

If the settings on this really badly self-adjusting onslaught module can be cranked down, then they damn well need to be. Otherwise it has become nothing but a replacement for getting fucked over by PVP combat, and I can definitely find something better to do with my time and something more enjoyable to spend my money on.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, January 05 2011 @ 07:45 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I'd add my voice to those who are saying we need a link from the jungle to the world map.

The jungle and the map square are both (in theory) located outside the outpost; it doesn't make any sense that you should have to go through the outpost to get from one to the other in either direction.

I'm pretty sure there isn't any deeply thought-out reason the link isn't there. The basic LotGD game engine is set up that way -- almost by accident -- and I'll bet this is one of the things CMJ hasn't gotten around to changing because it didn't seem to matter. In fact, until onslaught and titans came along, it didn't matter. Yeah, yeah, so you had to take an extra step. Big deal. Not worth changing. But now, it is forcing people to enter breached outposts when they don't want to, and it's doing this often enough to spoil some people's pleasure in the game.

So... now, it matters.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, January 05 2011 @ 08:08 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Agreed. Also, it's probably time to introduce that new AI engine we were talking about.

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Wednesday, January 05 2011 @ 09:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Agreed. Also, it's probably time to introduce that new AI engine we were talking about.

This post gave me the shivers.

Also, another thing that I'm actually not sure should be changed is the fact that looking for the Drive in the outpost and not finding it sends you into a potential breach. But maybe it ought to be that way. Drive huntin' is dangerous work!

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, January 05 2011 @ 07:07 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Point taken.

One would think hey, how hard could it beeee? Simple bit of navigation like that! But now that I look -- it's, um. Yeah. Non-trivial. If my memory weren't coming to resemble a sieve, I'd have recalled you did mention exactly that, the last time this came up.

EDIT: Wait... actually... Not so hard. "worldmapen" is indeed a tangled mess, but as far as I can tell, this link is only one line added to forest.php. Could be ramifications I haven't thought of, I guess, but it seems to work just fine.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Wednesday, January 05 2011 @ 07:36 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Point taken.

One would think hey, how hard could it beeee? Simple bit of navigation like that! But now that I look -- it's, um. Yeah. Non-trivial. If my memory weren't coming to resemble a sieve, I'd have recalled you did mention exactly that, the last time this came up.

You enter the the warehouse containing the Improbability Drive. It looks down at you with its single, unblinking eye.

"Hello, Teh and Dave."

Aren't they doing a Bastard rank right now?

Oh dear. You prepare for a lot of burny fire.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
tehdave
 Wednesday, January 05 2011 @ 07:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Beeps

Point taken.

You enter the the warehouse containing the Improbability Drive. It looks down at you with its single, unblinking eye.

"Hello, Teh and Dave."

What...

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Wednesday, January 05 2011 @ 08:00 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Point taken.

"Hello, Teh and Dave."

What...

(The joke is that the AI is for the Improbability Drive. Also it's a 2001: A Space Odyssey reference. And I thought you were Dave, and the hat was Teh.)

Goat Collector

Profile Email
tehdave
 Wednesday, January 05 2011 @ 09:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Point taken.

"Hello, Teh and Dave."

What...

(The joke is that the AI is for the Improbability Drive. Also it's a 2001: A Space Odyssey reference. And I thought you were Dave, and the hat was Teh.)

Ahh...wasn't sure if you meant the AI was haywire and just called people the wrong names or what...

The more memorable line being "I can't let you do that, Dave" threw me off... Confused

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Wednesday, January 05 2011 @ 09:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Point taken.

"Hello, Teh and Dave."

What...

Ahh...wasn't sure if you meant the AI was haywire and just called people the wrong names or what...

There was also that.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Scorpio
 Thursday, January 06 2011 @ 07:07 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Thank you, I'll hold off for a short while before deleting my character to see how this does.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Thursday, January 06 2011 @ 07:11 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Cyber City had passed 3 million HP recently thanks to some dedicated individuals. The next day, I had logged on and found that at 2.5 million HP, the Onslaught text was at maximum (with the bank closed) and so I spent at least 6 days fighting in the jungle, somewhat near 100 monsters each day. When I had stopped, the text changed nothing, but it was early in the morning, so I went to sleep.

I have 12 Chronospheres so while I thought I was going to spend the rest of my Chronos in the morning, I ended up being too busy and then got engaged into a Minecraft project, so I now come back about 4 days later.

The city is breached and at 3k-3.5k monsters. Is 4 days really a good amount of time to expect walls falling from 2.5 million to a breach with 3000 monsters? I'm not talking just about the numerical rate which the Onslaught increases. I'm talking about the number of people going to the outpost and staying to fight in it. We should have a intended ballpark of player population in each Outpost, I think, and look at the problem from that angle too.

Maybe there should simply be free money to anyone who comes into Cyber City. Should cause a large amount of people going to Cyber City, right? Neutral

I'm actually going to give up on Cyber City myself soon if I don't get a change of heart. I have 240 game days spent on this DK, and maybe I should just resume gaining stats.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Thursday, January 06 2011 @ 07:20 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Is 4 days really a good amount of time to expect walls falling from 2.5 million to a breach with 3000 monsters?

Given that I've seen titans spawn like three squares away from it... Yeah. The last time I went up there to with a breach, I'd just gotten the walls to 1.xx million HP when a titan smashed through them. Wasted 2k req and a builder's brew. When it's got 3000 monsters, three titans heading towards it, and there's three people (one of whom is a Joker with really bad combat stats for the day) with a collective 20DKs trying to fix it... Kittania looks really comfy.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Maniak
 Thursday, January 06 2011 @ 07:48 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Kittania looks really comfy.

Yeah, this is one thing that irks me. While other outposts have fallen, or are about too, Kittania is always busy. Always more than 100+ pages of story, teeming with life. Monsters should swarm to the busiest outposts, not the weakest. I don't know how the algorithm works, but I hope this new AI system takes into account the number of people currently inside the outpost or something.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Thursday, January 06 2011 @ 08:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Maniak

Kittania looks really comfy.

Yeah, this is one thing that irks me. While other outposts have fallen, or are about too, Kittania is always busy. Always more than 100+ pages of story, teeming with life. Monsters should swarm to the busiest outposts, not the weakest. I don't know how the algorithm works, but I hope this new AI system takes into account the number of people currently inside the outpost or something.

I'd mentioned this at one point, too. Of course, there's always the Titans, who need twenty people with 10 DKs and four chronospheres, or two veterans to take down. I guess that's the evening point - One man can take out a titan, but you need a crowd to repair a city.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Thursday, January 06 2011 @ 08:38 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

And the penalty of a Titan not being taken down is to make it harder to repair the city.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Thursday, January 06 2011 @ 08:58 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

And the penalty of a Titan not being taken down is to make it harder to repair the city.

Right, I'm just saying they're two sides of the "Keeping an outpost available" coin. One person with 300 DKs can't keep a city up by themselves. Thirty barely-not-rookies can't take down a Titan.
Of course, it's also harder to herd cats than to lead one bloodhound.
...Where is this analogy going?

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.74 seconds
New Topic Post Reply