Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Not-quite-Master Key
 |  Printable Version
Fox Kelfonne
 Saturday, January 08 2011 @ 04:10 AM UTC (Read 1616 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Alright, while cutting keys for the clan hall, I was thinking about the prices and effects of the current keys we have, and thought that perhaps it would be nice to have a key that is somewhere in between the Control and Master Key in terms of functionality.

What I mean is, say I have a person who I would like to help manage the locked status of rooms in a given dwelling, but didn't want them to be able to cut more keys, add more building jobs, access the stored materials, etc. The only way to currently do that would be to cut a control key for every single room in the dwelling, and once you get past 5 rooms, the Master Key starts to look like a bargain.
Could call it a Skeleton Key or something similar, it gives the room-opening and closing powers of the Master Key, but without the dwelling-changing consequences.
Make it like 40-45 cigs or something, and I think it'd be pretty useful?

Profile Email
D Valentine
 Saturday, January 08 2011 @ 05:09 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Fox+Kelfonne

Could call it a Skeleton Key or something similar, it gives the room-opening and closing powers of the Master Key, but without the dwelling-changing consequences.
Make it like 40-45 cigs or something, and I think it'd be pretty useful?

I really like this idea. And the cig amount is perfect, since it's near between Master and Control keys.
*two cents have been added*

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Saturday, January 08 2011 @ 08:57 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Keys are getting complex enough to the point that it might be more elegant when crafting a key, to have a list of features with checkboxes where you tick off each capability you want to add to the key, each box adding additional cigarettes to the cost.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Saturday, January 08 2011 @ 09:33 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'll admit I'm a little confused here, but I'm also extremely new to dwelling management. There's a Deadbolt key that appears to be what you're looking for - Is that new? It allows a player to enter and manage all locked/deadbolted rooms, but not assign building tasks and whatnot.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Saturday, January 08 2011 @ 09:38 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Keys are getting complex enough to the point that it might be more elegant when crafting a key, to have a list of features with checkboxes where you tick off each capability you want to add to the key, each box adding additional cigarettes to the cost.

I think this is an excellent idea and doesn't sound too hard to code. (stands to be corrected and pummelled if necessary.)

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, January 08 2011 @ 02:29 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Beeps

I'll admit I'm a little confused here, but I'm also extremely new to dwelling management. There's a Deadbolt key that appears to be what you're looking for - Is that new? It allows a player to enter and manage all locked/deadbolted rooms, but not assign building tasks and whatnot.

I think that the deadbolt key acts more like a second level normal key. It only works for one room, and then you can deadbolt that room, so that people with a normal key can get into locked rooms but not deadbolted rooms.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Kelwine
 Saturday, January 08 2011 @ 06:45 PM UTC  

I like this idea, as I noticed it as well.

With the "Only Front Door Keys and Master Keys allow a player to enter a locked Dwelling. All other keys operate on a per-room basis." set up, if you want someone to be able to access and control all rooms without giving them a master key, you need to cut them a key for every single room. It can be a hassle if you have a large dwelling and/or more than one person that you want to give keys to.

Beeps
 Saturday, January 08 2011 @ 10:51 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Quote by: Beeps

I think that the deadbolt key acts more like a second level normal key. It only works for one room, and then you can deadbolt that room, so that people with a normal key can get into locked rooms but not deadbolted rooms.

Ooh, okay. I'm still at the one-room-dwelling stage, so the only key I could cut was the Front Door. The description was a little vague on that, and I didn't realize the keys were per-room. Disregard me.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Thursday, January 13 2011 @ 06:56 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

My feeling about keys has been well-documented in other posts.
I agree with AF that a key with attributes would be a good thing.

I maintain that having the dwelling owner provide all costs for keys remains burdensome.
I continue to believe that a dwelling cig pool for key (and furniture!) purchases would be a
VERY NICE THING TO HAVE.

And now that we have teleporters, the proof of concept of a dwelling cig pool has now been implemented, and (while I have no direct knowledge of such things) ought to be tweakable in this direction.

So, in brief, loving the direction of this discussion; agree with AF's checklist of attributes idea; think cig pool should be a part of an overhaul of keys.

All best,

~CTP

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.70 seconds
New Topic Post Reply