Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Surveying complete! Sort of.
 |  Printable Version
Beeps
 Sunday, January 16 2011 @ 11:26 PM UTC (Read 4997 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've mentioned this a few times over the past couple months, but today I finally sat down and actually spent the time traversing the island and filling it in.
http://tinyurl.com/II-Properties
Now with all 704 dwellings or reserved plots in II.

Quick "expected" faq for this:

How does it... How does it work?
Consult the book of armaments, chapter two, verses nine through twenty-one...
The map section is "interactive," click on a square and it will list the dwellings on that square.

So I have to find a dwelling by checking every square? I could have done that in game!
If you're looking to just find dwellings, the "List" button at the top there pulls out a list of all publicly registered locations.

Oh my god, there's a shitload of them! I can't find what I'm looking for!
Yay for Search! This also takes partial names (Searching for "One Room" brings up all One Room Dwellings).

Why isn't my dwelling on here?
You must've managed to add it while I wasn't looking. Or I missed a few. I got the other 700 right!

My dwelling is on here, but it's wrong/doesn't have an owner listed!
I left any dwelling that wasn't explicitly owned by someone in a quick glance as owned by "Unknown." Use the "Update" button which will let you change the name and owner.

I don't want my dwelling on here!
Fair enough, tell me and I can set it to "private" so that it continues to take up a space on the square, but won't show up.

So, having surveyed the entire Island, here are some tidbits:

• 465 of the dwellings do not have their proper owners listed on this registry.
  • There are 83 Empty Plots, 62 One Room Dwellings, and 16 broken dwellings on the Island at this time.
  • If you're looking for an empty space for a house, the best places to try are the far northwest, or the far southwest. The west beach is also quite open.
  • Squat Hole is the only location on swamp, as you can't build on swamp.
  • Komppa has 15 Empty Plots/One Room Dwellings.
  • There are 5 castles, 4 fortresses, 6 manors, 23 cottages, 12 huts, 14 shacks, 7 clearings, and three glades.
  • There are six "abandoned" dwellings, three locations are "hidden," two are inconspicuous, and one is convenient.
  • No dwellings are described as "ordinary" or "normal" in the short title.
  • There are two identical "Hungry Foxes."
  • There are three identical "Freya's Farmhouses."
  • There are four lighthouses on Improbable Island.
  • There are four libraries.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, January 16 2011 @ 11:47 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Sir, that is well cool. Nice one.

Profile Email
Maniak
 Sunday, January 16 2011 @ 11:58 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Good job. It works nice and quick. Excellent stuff.

The small things I noticed:
In the List view, you have to click each dwelling, using the arrows on the keyboard does nothing. A minor inconvenience.
Clicking a dwelling after you search something erases the search info.

http://maniak.cu.cc/

Profile Email Website
Iriana
 Sunday, January 16 2011 @ 11:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

If none of them are "normal" or "ordinary", is at least one "Improbable"?

Cool! It's awesome to see this finally (more or less) finished up. Nice work!

Profile Email
Maniak
 Monday, January 17 2011 @ 12:01 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Iriana

If none of them are "normal" or "ordinary", is at least one "Improbable"?

Cool! It's awesome to see this finally (more or less) finished up. Nice work!

About 13 of those. Oooh a quick search function!

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Monday, January 17 2011 @ 12:02 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Maniak

Oooh a quick search function!

How much quicker does it have to be? Frown

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Iriana
 Monday, January 17 2011 @ 12:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I assume he meant "Oh great, it's a quick search! Good work" rather than "Please let's have a quicker search". Right?

Profile Email
Maniak
 Monday, January 17 2011 @ 12:10 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Correct.

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Monday, January 17 2011 @ 12:18 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I actually thought you meant like a ctrl-f popup or something and was wailing and gnashing my teeth at the prospect. That said, the general UI layout and behaviour does still need tweaking.

Making the page not refresh when you added a dwelling or updated the existing ones was an update I made during my one failboat experience today, half an hour or so before NewDay. Still learning a lot about jQuery and CI, but this was meant to be a project for me to expand my knowledge.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, January 17 2011 @ 04:19 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

This will be such a useful tool! Bookmarked. Big Grin

Profile Email
Beeps
 Monday, January 17 2011 @ 04:23 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Oh, and I'm not considering it done (What programmer ever considers a project done?). If you have ideas/suggestions for things you'd like to see, I can see what I can do with it.
I'd considered a "private" flag, which I presume a lot of people would appreciate, but that would have to be something the owner sets, since I can't check if a dwelling is just locked when I checked, or regularly.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Buddleia
 Monday, January 17 2011 @ 04:42 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Good-looking interface and some clever features in there. Nice one! If you want more data, there's plenty on the Land Registry (which is also a work in progress, of course!). Teleport beacons, house IDs, number of cards, number of public sleep spots, that sort of thing. Mine is a google spreadsheet; it's a map, and a list, and I've got a third tab of Abandoned and Unloved dwellings (after this thread). Would you like to collaborate?

Improbable Reference Links - goo.gl/MRBnb -------------- Land Registry (map of Places) ---- goo.gl/bpkRR

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Monday, January 17 2011 @ 06:26 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Buddleia

Good-looking interface and some clever features in there. Nice one! If you want more data, there's plenty on the Land Registry (which is also a work in progress, of course!). Teleport beacons, house IDs, number of cards, number of public sleep spots, that sort of thing. Mine is a google spreadsheet; it's a map, and a list, and I've got a third tab of Abandoned and Unloved dwellings (after this thread). Would you like to collaborate?

I'd considered some of these items (Teleporters for one), but ended up skipping because of various things. A lot of them are transient (Or at least possibly transient) and I don't think I have the patience to go out and make sure it's up to date. The teleporter list would be handy, but someone could run out of cigs for a day or something. I'm honestly not sure how useful the house IDs could be. I mean, it could be handy for module making (Maybe? But you need a room ID too, now...) I've heard that cards may not be as static as they seemed... but yes, a collaborative project would be fantastic. I mainly created this because I was having trouble finding things on the google doc.

Quote by: Count Sessine

I was wondering if you could color-code the X's in four shades of red from light to dark depending on how many dwellings are on the square in question.

Added! Brighter squares have more dwellings on them. This is mostly useful for a little hack I added in - Searching for "all" as the name shows all dwellings. We have population density!

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Makiwa
 Monday, January 17 2011 @ 08:29 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Gotta add my thanks as well.

This is fantastic. Well done. Big Grin

It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Profile Email Website
Beeps
 Monday, January 17 2011 @ 11:20 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Maniak

Good job. It works nice and quick. Excellent stuff.

The small things I noticed:
In the List view, you have to click each dwelling, using the arrows on the keyboard does nothing. A minor inconvenience.
Clicking a dwelling after you search something erases the search info.

I think I've solved both of these issues, sort of. I'm still not sure what to do about clicking dwellings. Maybe have the list and "found X" on the search page, instead... Makes more sense to me.
Edit: So I did it.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Beeps
 Monday, January 17 2011 @ 11:46 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Okay, a bunch of control changes.

If you saw this a couple weeks back, then the Register and Update pages are improved (No longer forces a refresh).

Searching now creates a list on the search page, so you can safely browse your results without it losing all the highlights.
Clicking on an option in the list highlights the square, double-clicking switches to the Info page, which brings up the info for the square that dwelling is on.
Double-clicking a square will also focus the Info page.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Beeps
 Thursday, January 20 2011 @ 04:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Big thanks to those of you who helped out with claiming the unknown-ownership houses. We tagged a fourth of them (150 or so to be more precise). The UI changes were also at the behest of people who talked to me about it. The one thing I've gotten some "complaints" about was the inability to hide a dwelling (You can set it to private when you register the dwelling). So I'll look into doing that the next time I'm working on it.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Scorpio
 Thursday, January 20 2011 @ 05:17 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Nice resource.

I've got one to add, I've claimed the fourth slot at 10,4.

Don't know the full details of what I'm calling it yet, It'll be a travel trailer (caravan for speakers of the other English) with a house built around it. Done out in full Appalachian flair and offering an explanation of where the Saloon get's it's mountain dew.

Haven't even written any of the flavor text for it yet, just the basic idea a while back, was going to do another one first, but got tired of not having a bed available when I was questing in Rookie's That Take Up Beds and then Quit Playing Central...hmm...could propose that as the new name for NewHome.

Profile Email
Scorpio
 Thursday, January 20 2011 @ 05:20 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Scorpio

Nice resource.

Don't know the full details of what I'm calling it yet, It'll be a travel trailer (caravan for speakers of the other English) with a house built around it. Done out in full Appalachian flair and offering an explanation of where the Saloon get's it's mountain dew.

Haven't even written any of the flavor text for it yet, just the basic idea a while back, was going to do another one first, but got tired of not having a bed available when I was questing in Rookie's That Take Up Beds and then Quit Playing Central...hmm...could propose that as the new name for NewHome.

Never mind, added it myself.....oooooooooohhhhhhh......coooool!

Profile Email
Scorpio
 Thursday, January 20 2011 @ 05:23 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Nice resource.

Never mind, added it myself.....oooooooooohhhhhhh......coooool!

...and added ownership to The Library in 12,22, one of my clannies, Gibbers.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.63 seconds
New Topic Post Reply