Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Season Two Planning Forum New Topic Post Reply
 My to-do list
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Monday, October 27 2008 @ 02:04 AM UTC (Read 1522 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

Been a while since I did an update on this, so:

SEASON 1

ENHANCEMENTS, BUGFIXES AND BALANCING
Replacement module for Dan's Potions, which will cause extra hitpoints to become exponentially more expensive, while starting out cheaper.
OR
Replacement module for Dan's Potions, which will make Vitality effects semi-permanent rather than permanent, thus they need to be topped up.
OR
Invent some new system to negate Vitality altogether, replacing it with a more balanced system that requires more decisions from the player and thus has more than one strategy for getting higher maximum hitpoints.
Close the Restoration loophole by simply restoring players to the mainland, without granting a new day.
The Stamina module isn't designed to cope with minionbuff-based weapons like the Cat Launcher, which do a set amount of damage regardless of the Exhaustion buff. Fix included in the Stamina expansion (see below).
Scavenging and player-created items:
Fix the Scrap values so that it's always more profitable to create equipment than it is to sell parts individually.
Assess the Scavenging module for playability; things like allowing players to scavenge for all of their turns using one click.
Vending:
Rewrite this bastard from scratch. As it is now, it's a huge drain on server resources, and not very easy to use. Rewrite for simplicity, usability and game balance.

NEW RANDOM EVENTS
Rhiannon's prize for cheating at the Glory contest.
Race-Specific Outpost events. Certain Outposts will be more or less tolerant of outsiders than others.
Joker Needles. A complex puzzle module that will hopefully take a few months for players to crack the formula for the best result. After which time I'll just change the formula, while twiddling my moustache and going "Nyahahahah, fools!"
Cat or Dead Cat. Deal or No Deal is basically Shrodinger's Cat for money, and this event will be a parody of that taken to its (il)logical conclusion.
Some form of puzzle that will change each time it is played, to stay fresh.

NEW RACES (no info given, spoilers)
FoeBots

RACE EXPANSIONS / TWEAKS / BALANCING
Separate starting values for world map encounter rate, for each race.
Separate Stamina indexes for each race.
Separate PVP fights for each race.
Independant Stables in each Outpost, so that some Mounts will only be available at certain Outposts.
Checks for certain Mounts to give enhanced bonuses if ridden by a member of a particular Race.
Robot and GoBot bugfixes and enhancements (separate menu option for emulating another Implant rather than having the option forced upon you at each new day, option to heal companions in the Hospital Tent etc).

NEW THEMES
Four or five new layouts for the game, including one that should make it easier to skive at work.

MOUNTS
Well, this is another one that requires a very large spreadsheet. Fucking hate spreadsheets. Anyway, we're talking about fifty or sixty new mounts, for players up to 200 DK's, costing up to 5,000 cigs.

OUTPOST FEATURES
More gambling modules in AceHigh.
Campfire storytelling in Kittania. Takes the form of a choose-your-own-adventure style story, that players can add to as they please. Large and complex project - maybe this can wait 'til Season Two.

ACHIEVEMENTS SYSTEM
Hook into the Tattoo module, perhaps? More tattoos, basically. More tattoos that you can only get after completing specific criteria. Good for bragging rights.

TALKLINE ICONS
Donator-only feature. Allows players to show a 16*16 pixel icon next to their name in chat areas. Draw your own.

QUESTION OF THE WEEK
Shamelessly ripped off from B3TA.com. Go there to see how it works. This can go quite nicely in the Prancing SpiderKitty.

MAJOR CHANGES
STAMINA EXPANSION
Stamina is no longer affected by battles, but by turns in battle. You'll start off with more Stamina points, but longer battles will require more Stamina.
Player can perform certain actions to stave off exhaustion and give them more Stamina. Actions such as eating food, drinking coffee and energy drinks, smoking cigarettes etc will all increase the player's Stamina.
Players may semi-permanently increase their Stamina by exercising in a gym, a process that costs Req and Turns. Effects last for the whole Drive run.
Players may also increase their maximum Stamina points by running into exhaustion. However, there is a sweet spot - go beyond it, and you'll give yourself serious sprains which will negatively affect your maximum Stamina the next day, and possibly even the next several days if you really don't know when to give it a rest (this also fixes the problem of minion-based weaponry not being affected by the Stamina exhaustion debuff).

GLORIOUS ATTACK
Ever played Dynasty Warriors? This is like the Musou attack. You get a bar that fills up as you take and deal damage. When it's full, you get a single, very powerful attack. Similar mechanics to the current Glory system. And you thought we'd never use that again. Wink

POLITICAL CONTROL (priority)
Expand to provide exponential returns for controlling more than one Outpost.
Add a mechanic to remove 10% of total revenue (along with 10% of the revenue each clan has donated) each system newday.

--------------------------------------

SEASON TWO

NEW RACES
Strangers

ADDITIONS
The additions to Equipment and Mounts that one would expect, along with:

AMULETS
Items worn around the neck, said to be highly infused with Improbability. Each of these carries a buff whose formula is so complex, and based upon such obscure game elements, that it should be highly entertaining trying to figure out what each one actually does.
Does your amulet make you punch harder when the one-armed bandit in the Prancing Spiderkitty is ready to pay out, as long as the moon is full? Or does it depend on how many players are on the FailBoat, divided by your Charm and multiplied by your Glory? Who can tell!

IMPROBABLE COMBAT SYSTEM
Bizarrely enough, this is actually pretty much all ready to go. Check the dev server to see it in action. It adds specific targets within enemies, so you can aim directly for the caterpillars in that "someone"'s vagina. Problem is, I wrote it, tested it, and then realised I'd need to write 350-odd new monsters too, or expand upon the current ones to include the target info. Bah.

"WATCHER" PERSONAL PLOTLINE
Improbable Island will feature a developing plotline that the player can follow, and an actual ending. It'll hopefully take a player several months to get through it, and you'll go on some special quests too. At the end, your player is immortalised... and then you start from the beginning as a fresh, rosy-cheeked Newbie, with some advantages. Like a DK, only bigger.
(I guess come Season Twenty I'll have to make another thing that happens when you complete the Watcher plotline X amount of times... Like a DK for your DK's full of DK's)

"STRANGERS" GLOBAL EVENTS
Not saying too much about this right now. Based on certain criteria, the content in the game will change for all players.

PLAYER-CONTROLLED SHOPS (these are a Maybe)
* Bookstore / printworks
Allow players to write books, much like the Library module, then allow them to charge for these books. The player viewing the list of books would get to read an excerpt first, view a word count, and then buy the books with in-game currency.
The player would print the books at a cost that lowers the more books they print. EG print 100 copies at 50 Req each, or 10,000 copies at 30 Req each.
Books could be fiction, player advice, or whatever the players come up with.
Could be a good opportunity for writers to pimp their work.
* Drugstore
Player sets up a little shop. Costs, say, five hundred cigs to build, and then has ongoing maintenance of several hundred Req per system day.
Inside, player may buy or mix concoctions to give buffs to other players. Said concoctions are buyable in bulk, at a lower cost, but go bad after a set number of days. Assume that players will sell the oldest concoctions first.

CORE UPDATE
I'll be moving on to the NB Core fork when I come to Season Two, which should hopefully improve performance as well as adding the framework to make it easier to develop new features.

There's probably a bunch of stuff I've forgotten to mention, but that's the gist of it. Damn, that was a long post.

Profile Email Website
Count of S-G
 Monday, October 27 2008 @ 03:35 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

SEASON 1

NEW RACES (no info given, spoilers)
FoeBots

Great, I've been waiting for FoeBots, since the reset. I don't care if I don't know anything about them, but I can't wait.

NEW THEMES
Four or five new layouts for the game, including one that should make it easier to skive at work.

As a minor suggestion, how hard would it be for you to release the code that would let players design their own layouts (in terms of colors at least). It would be rather nice, and if it was something that you could do easily, it would save you work in the long run. If it isn't easy, then just forget about it for now.

ACHIEVEMENTS SYSTEM
Hook into the Tattoo module, perhaps? More tattoos, basically. More tattoos that you can only get after completing specific criteria.

I was actually about to suggest this, because of my frustration with getting the phoenix tattoo, and I wanted some tats to make me feel better.

POLITICAL CONTROL
Expand to provide exponential returns for controlling more than one Outpost.
Add a mechanic to remove 10% of total revenue (along with 10% of the revenue each clan has donated) each system newday.

I think that you might want to try 15% or a couple different values, because it does build up. I would like to see the decrease part of the mod soon, because it sounds like it shouldn't be that hard to code, at least in comparison to new races or 50 new mounts.

To briefly summarize all of my comments on Season two, I think that the player book stores should be a low priority (as you already have them) and possibly something that you could add on during Season 2, rather then a long wait for it.

Glory Points awarded for this fight: 0 You have defeated The Watcher! You receive 1377 Requisition! You receive 20193 experience!

Profile Email
Max Dougwell
 Monday, October 27 2008 @ 05:56 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

IMPROBABLE COMBAT SYSTEM
Bizarrely enough, this is actually pretty much all ready to go. Check the dev server to see it in action. It adds specific targets within enemies, so you can aim directly for the caterpillars in that "someone"'s vagina. Problem is, I wrote it, tested it, and then realised I'd need to write 350-odd new monsters too, or expand upon the current ones to include the target info. Bah.

Why not just expand on the current Monster Sighting Module? That way all new monsters would come with the targeting info. It could include a quick explanation for why they need to give info that they've never seen before.

GLORIOUS ATTACK
Ever played Dynasty Warriors? This is like the Musou attack. You get a bar that fills up as you take and deal damage. When it's full, you get a single, very powerful attack. Similar mechanics to the current Glory system. And you thought we'd never use that again.

Would this involve unique descriptions, or just You execute a SUPER MEGA EPIC DEATH-RAY move! You deal 3,028,573,454 points of damage!. I see either one would be great fun, but I'm just a curious cat.

Looking forward to season 2!

Profile Email
Anonymous: Rhiannon
 Tuesday, October 28 2008 @ 09:38 AM UTC  

SEASON 1

NEW RANDOM EVENTS
Rhiannon's prize for cheating at the Glory contest.

Thanks Joe, I've been looking forward to this very much since the contest ended back in beta. It will be very special

Big Grin Big Grin

GlyphGryph
 Tuesday, October 28 2008 @ 11:02 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Awesomesauce. Can't wait to see some of this.

Want to try out FoeBots soooo bad...

Profile Email
Anonymous: groovyness
 Wednesday, October 29 2008 @ 03:26 AM UTC  

i want to try out strangers, but i guess i have to wait...

Count of S-G
 Wednesday, October 29 2008 @ 03:33 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Do you have a rough time frame we can be look at?

Glory Points awarded for this fight: 0 You have defeated The Watcher! You receive 1377 Requisition! You receive 20193 experience!

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, October 29 2008 @ 04:28 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Not really. I'm toying with the idea of moving into Season Two on January 1st, but I gave myself a deadline for the last season shift and ended up only getting half of the things done that I wanted to get done. I'd like to take the time to do it properly this time.

Player-designed themes - yes, the themes are CCL. You can download the Console theme via http://www.improbableisland.com/templates/console-donator.htm and http://www.improbableisland.com/templates/console.css. The Console theme is a skin I made that uses CSS for its master layout, as opposed to older LotGD themes that are made primarily out of tables, so I'm going to be basing all my new themes on Console (and I'll rewrite the default skin to use CSS instead of tables too). You might want to use FireBug, Google it.

Expanding on the Monster Sighting module is gonna be a bit of a pain in the arse. You see, the bit that adds the monster descriptions isn't actually part of the core, so I've still got to copy-paste the descriptions, although the rest is entered for me. It'd be the same deal with the target information, so unless I can automate that, I'd be copy-pasting from a dozen or so different fields for each monster, taking me right back where I started. Unless I could modify the targeting system to accept an array for creating a new set of targets, and then create that array in a big long string of text from the monster sighting module.

Glorious Attack: Perhaps a random message choosing from several presets?

To-do list updated, with rewriting of the Vending module.

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: oninoshiko
 Monday, November 10 2008 @ 03:00 AM UTC  

i just LOVE the idea of more tats based on having done certain things!!! And while, yes, the phenoix was kinda frustrating, it made it that much more fun once i got it!

i thought for sure I was going to have to start over because the drive would come after me... in retrospect, that was probibly kinda silly.

Content generated in: 0.55 seconds
New Topic Post Reply