Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Playing 'by yourself?'
 |  Printable Version
Beeps
 Tuesday, January 25 2011 @ 01:26 AM UTC (Read 2752 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

So I've been wondering about some things pertaining to... Well, what a character does on their own. For instance, recently I reached 100/100 for Carcass Cleaning/Cooking. I'd mentioned, vaguely, a couple times that Beeps was spending time in Maiko's, but even still, I felt really weird saying Beeps had accomplished something when there hadn't been any "visible" effort being put into it. It's taken me several months to get to that point, but... Has Beeps achieved this, or just the player?

The same goes for building anything - There's a lot of collection of parts, searching about, drawing up blueprints, so forth... Which is a one-person job (With maybe the exception of finding parts). How necessary is it to others that this sort of thing is actually played out? I wandered into the scrapyard fully planning to roll dice and choose things off lists to see if I found what I needed, but once I got there, I realized I was typing descriptions into an empty abyss. In twenty-four hours, any descriptions I write could have been done in five minutes, or done in an hour. In a week, it won't matter that they were done at all. Given that days are four hours long, I suppose that does mean that if I spent an hour in the Scrapyard, Beeps spent the afternoon there. Is the important part that I actually bothered to go to the scrapyard, rather than just saying I did? Does that even matter?

This is further complicated by Chronospheres - Could I enter at full stamina and simply crack a chronosphere, saying that I spent the day searching?

Being out there by myself managed to make me even more worried about what I was doing. Would I be finding, even if rolled by chance, things that were too good, too fancy, or too perfect for my needs? The description only lists a number of small things, yet (to my knowledge) the Scrapyard is where people go for parts to essentially anything they make. Are there other places you can salvage from?

Overall, I guess my question is "How do you justify what your character does 'off-screen?'"

Goat Collector

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Tuesday, January 25 2011 @ 02:44 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

At the age you take a Barbie and a Ken doll and smash their bodies together so you can pretend they're kissing, you're doing it for yourself.
At the age you take those Lego people while you're showering and have them jump around from the soap dish to the showerhead like they're Saiyans from Dragonball Z shooting energy beams at each other, you're doing it for yourself.
At the age you're playing TES: Oblivion and making your Bruma house look like it's lived in by a scholar by stealing all the inkwells, quills, parchment, and spending hours carefully aligning a huge bunch of potions you're never going to drink on the dresser and put some extra Mortar & Pestles and Alembics on the next furniture object, you're doing it for yourself.

It doesn't matter if nobody sees the actions that your character, whether it be a doll, lego figure, or virtual 3D model, does. You make them do the things they do so that it establishes who they are and what they do in your own mind.

As a person who almost never RPs in Improbable Island, almost every single character development I've given to Awesome Fred has never been seen by someone else.

As far as Chronospheres, I treat them as them restoring my self into a freshly-awoken person on the same day. But when I spend one real day using 8 chronospheres to fix the walls, I say I spent 8 days fixing those walls.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Tuesday, January 25 2011 @ 02:51 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

At the age you're playing TES: Oblivion and making your Bruma house look like it's lived in by a scholar by stealing all the inkwells, quills, parchment, and spending hours carefully aligning a huge bunch of potions you're never going to drink on the dresser and put some extra Mortar & Pestles and Alembics on the next furniture object, you're doing it for yourself.

I've never done something like th-

MOVE ALONG NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
LadyRavenSkye
 Tuesday, January 25 2011 @ 05:07 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I've always played out scenes, even if no one was to see them. It's like I try to make sure I write through every room my characters pass through while they coast through a dwelling. Might start doing it on the map too. It makes me happy when I do it. I honestly don't know how Skye would react, for example, if she set her coat on fire. Would she dump the hot oil on the stove onto her arm in the moment of panic and being idiot(probably not) or would she take her coat off and stomp on it?

I also use these moments of time alone to brainstorm ideas for scenes for Skye's friends. Who would not enjoy walking into a horrible cooking disaster? End up helping and making it worse?
Or help feed the giant clam in the bottomless pool, end up falling in, and be solicited by mermaids?

Like Fred said, you do it for yourself. When I do it, I do it for myself, but also for the people I RP with, I haven't had any complaints from them.

Profile Email
Temper
 Tuesday, January 25 2011 @ 05:20 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Personally, I say, DO IT. It's fun to read when you stumble upon a scene someone's done, especially if it's creative or funny. It's like a small extra treat for wandering around. I enjoy reading the work people put up when I find it, and I'd think most others would too.

So maybe nobody finds it. Well, at the very least, you know you did that, and it can help shape your character. You don't always have to be writing for anyone else's benefit. Write for yourself.

Edit: Basically, what the good people before me said. Which is par for the course, I suppose. Maybe I should write more.

Profile Email
Rosin
 Tuesday, January 25 2011 @ 05:50 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yesyesyesyes. Yes.

Sometimes it doesn't matter what your character in the game is doing as much as what your character in the story is doing. I often jungle hunt while I'm writing scenes in an outpost but does that mean Rosin just ducks out between words to go kill something? Probably not, though she's sneaky enough that maybe I just haven't caught her in the act yet.

And playing by yourself can be some of the best fun if you enjoy writing. Like Fred said, when you're making pretend with your GI Joes that they're invading the Cobra base (actually just a cardboard box that you drew the little cobra symbol on because you thought it'd be neat), that's entirely your own little story and you're doing it for your own enjoyment. Sometimes your fiancee comes along later and sees what you've got set up and makes a comment about how that looks fun, and you can get a big silly grin on your face.

Or.. Well.. In island terms, maybe someone will stumble upon your scene, read it, and then send you a distraction saying how awesome you are. I've done that a few times myself, and you can find people writing on their own in all sorts of places.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
D Valentine
 Tuesday, January 25 2011 @ 07:46 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I really like finding places, like beach squares, or mountain squares, or "right now abandoned" outposts and RPing a bit by myself. It makes me think through the different ways my character would do things, for the time they are doing it, and stuff like that. I even have a real-life notebook that I scribble in (though that might just be a bit too much).

I also like wandering through dwellings, RPing, especially if the description is welcoming. I RP making and having tea in my dwelling, even winding a clock, getting ready for bed, and "looking at the piles of clothing and crap, giving a passing thought to cleaning" in my character's bedroom.

Makes me feel accomplished. Also gives me that tingly feeling inside (though that might just be hunger for food or sleep-deprivation...I can't decide which)

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, January 25 2011 @ 08:17 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

We usually talk about playing your character in terms of role-playing, with comments left in a chat space (which may or may not be read). Writing on your own, without anyone else in the scene, is one quite enjoyable part of that.

But Fred's put his finger on something else: the drama that's going on in your own head when you take down a titan all by yourself (woo, just me and my stabbity claws!), or log a thousand logs (looky here, I'm Paul Bunyan!), or max out a skill, or beat the drive for the 100th time.

That's playing, too. It's important. It matters. It's not necessary that it be documented in commentary for it to have happened. Sometimes... most of the time, really... it's enough that it happens in your head.

Profile Email
Harris
 Tuesday, January 25 2011 @ 10:48 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I really can't add anything new, so I will simply say "Yes, do all of the above, remember all of the above, it is awesome, and will help make the Island more awesome."

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Tuesday, January 25 2011 @ 11:49 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well the first real answer is, if that doesn't sound to arrogant, is whatever you enjoy doing most.

I like connecting role play with game play when I can, but there will inevitably be discrepancies, notably with req. A little while ago there was a big scene involving a heist on IC bank (finished up with poor old Calliaphone having to peddle away a whole gang of big hairy bank robbers on her little cart). The robbers apparently escaped with vast quantities of req. Well obviously their actual req holding didn't change at all. Didn't stop it being a fun scene. Some things that I end up doing a lot, I RP through the first few times, but after that it gets boring doing the same thing over and over, so I stop doing it.

On the other hand, on occasions where I've used nicoteen gum for sticking up posters or whatever, then often I've gone and bought a stick first, and then discarded it. But not always. Depends on how I feel on the day really.

So with maxing out your cookery skills for example, I would probably mention it in character, as I/he (Alexander Quandle) would be quite proud of that. If using a chronosphere when you're still on max stam/hp helps make it more real and so enjoyable to you, then do it. If it seems like mere bookkeeping and a waste of stam, then don't.

Whatever you enjoy most really.

Profile Email
g_rock
 Tuesday, January 25 2011 @ 03:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've very little to add, except to say that there is a lot of good to be gained by doing this. I used to be terrible about continuity and all that, but I had a few clannies who showed me how it was done, and I realized something. It made me better in multiperson scenes. I figure, it's a bit like a boxer going at a punching bag, or a golfer going to the driving range. It's great practice, and helps you hone your RP skills in one of the more difficult settings, when there're no other awesome people to help you.

How would G work, if there's nobody around to see him/her? How would that change if there were people present? What's G like, indpendent of GERM, independent of the outposts, who is she when she gets ready for bed?

SO, in short, I say play with yourself as much and as often as you see the opportunity.

...what?

Profile Email
tehdave
 Thursday, January 27 2011 @ 06:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A couple thoughts, on my end, purely personal (of course):

1: RPing scenes by yourself can help you work out your character, and how your character behaves when (they believe) no one else is looking. Whether that means they let themselves loose and get silly, or sneak out back of a building in an outpost to have a smoke, or even if it means just relaxing and reading a book. It can help you figure out how your character does normal stuff or even abnormal stuff (like digging through a scrapyard). Personally, I don't often RP scenes alone, except when the mood strikes me, and that's usually an outcropping from another scene I've been in. (Like when an idea I had snowballed wildly out of control, for instance) Sometimes I do this purely for my own amusement, or to keep my RP muscles limber, and other times I do it so someone else can follow the trail and see what I've done.

Overall, I guess my question is "How do you justify what your character does 'off-screen?'"

2: Just because I'm not actively looking down into II and announcing what Dave's doing doesn't mean he's being idle. Oftentimes, I figure he's off working on something or other in his workshop either at Dunbernarding or at Hendrix, when I'm not around, and he hurries back to wherever I left him when I log back in. Dave is an insatiable tinkerer, even if I'm not, and sometimes I just can't come up with the RP to describe him working on things. So I figure if I'm not actively there controlling him, he's wandered off and digging through scrap piles or holed up in his workshop, working on something. I'd rather him do that when I'm not there, so when I am around, we can run around and interact with people, and show off what he's done, etc.

3: There are times when Dave will go into a semi anti-social mode, where he'll be running around the Island doing things and just avoiding people (even friends). I have a tendency to do this myself from time to time, and it sort of bled into the character. So when I'm out Jungle Fighting and going to outposts doing game stuff, I just imagine him as having slipped into the "Don't feel like talking to anyone right now" mode. That doesn't mean I just mindlessly keep hitting "t" in the jungle (or *5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5 if I'm doing suicidal fights) and it's just a game...I imagine Dave slinking through the Jungle, effortlessly dispatching enemies left and right. (note his weapon: Schrodinger Fu. His fighting style, as I imagine it, is something akin to an old martial arts master...He's refined his fighting style to the point where he is never where the monster's blow comes to rest. Mostly because I love the imagery of a KittyMorph in a lab coat casually tossing monsters around as they jump him in the Jungle. Titans, I imagine as Shadow of the Colossus. Anyone who hasn't played that game is missing out.) Teh, on the other hand...he's got a crochet hook and he's not afraid to use it. Speaking of...need to pick up a custom weapon for Teh at some point...

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Beeps
 Thursday, January 27 2011 @ 07:04 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Temper

Personally, I say, DO IT. It's fun to read when you stumble upon a scene someone's done, especially if it's creative or funny. It's like a small extra treat for wandering around. I enjoy reading the work people put up when I find it, and I'd think most others would too.

First off, I like hearing that a lot of people see it as a chance to simply sort of... Write for writing's sake, wherever you might be. I agree with this, and did it a couple times as Ricky - He lent himself to more of the silly antics stuff, and I still miss playing him at times. I have a few things I'm trying to establish with Beeps that would work for this.

I... words fail. Anything I could possibly do would only feel derivative of this.

Quote by: tehdave

2: Just because I'm not actively looking down into II and announcing what Dave's doing doesn't mean he's being idle. Oftentimes, I figure he's off working on something or other in his workshop either at Dunbernarding or at Hendrix, when I'm not around, and he hurries back to wherever I left him when I log back in. Dave is an insatiable tinkerer, even if I'm not, and sometimes I just can't come up with the RP to describe him working on things. So I figure if I'm not actively there controlling him, he's wandered off and digging through scrap piles or holed up in his workshop, working on something. I'd rather him do that when I'm not there, so when I am around, we can run around and interact with people, and show off what he's done, etc.

This addresses a lot of what I was indirectly attempting to ask, I think. If I were mucking with something in character that I could see someone else getting a kick out of, I'd certainly play it out. Or if I'm just doing it in a public place - It establishes my presence, allowing others to join in on something if they like. But a lot of things really aren't that interesting to play out, or to read. You wouldn't want to read through a four-hour scene of someone doing their taxes (Well, maybe Dave's taxes). But when I don't play it out, I worry that I haven't justified the results. This is compounded by the fact that I'm trying to play an unskilled character, which flies in the face of every nearly character I've ever played (to the point where I've given myself away to friends when playing alts who are supposed to be unskilled elsewhere). Beeps isn't a mechanic or an electrician, but I desperately want to tweak everything I get.

Goat Collector

Profile Email
tehdave
 Thursday, January 27 2011 @ 08:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Beeps

This addresses a lot of what I was indirectly attempting to ask, I think. If I were mucking with something in character that I could see someone else getting a kick out of, I'd certainly play it out. Or if I'm just doing it in a public place - It establishes my presence, allowing others to join in on something if they like. But a lot of things really aren't that interesting to play out, or to read. You wouldn't want to read through a four-hour scene of someone doing their taxes (Well, maybe Dave's taxes). But when I don't play it out, I worry that I haven't justified the results. This is compounded by the fact that I'm trying to play an unskilled character, which flies in the face of every nearly character I've ever played (to the point where I've given myself away to friends when playing alts who are supposed to be unskilled elsewhere). Beeps isn't a mechanic or an electrician, but I desperately want to tweak everything I get.

In reply to bolded text: Ebenezer is GERM's accountant. I would love to see a scene of Eben doing the taxes for GERM, and all the officers/members...

Italicized: Personally, I think if it's something that you've established your character to be able to do (like Dave with the tinkering) then it doesn't necessarily have to be played out, but if it's something new for the character, I'd play it out, even if it's something you might consider boring...you never know what could unfold from it.

Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? All you get is one trick: rational thinking. But when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, the sky's the limit.

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Thursday, January 27 2011 @ 10:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: tehdave

RPing scenes by yourself can help you work out your character, and how your character behaves when (they believe) no one else is looking.

Yes. YES! Thank you, Dave. In retrospect, this is exactly why I brought Ashtu's sister to the island, though I didn't realize it at the time. Ashtu's a loner, a hermit, an introvert (nothing like me, *cough*cough*) - which makes it difficult when a plot point needs to made with player interaction.Oh, yeah. I don't do a lot of scene reading in the wiki, but that one caught me for some reason - I loved it!

Thank you.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.27 seconds
New Topic Post Reply